2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 204 of 425 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Didn't Liszt live right next to the Erard company for a while?

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Steven, for that interesting etymology of dang. It would seem to me to be a combination of the words damned and hanged. Having studied Latin for 4 years in high school, I still find it helpful in deciphering the definitions of many words that are not familiar to me. It especially comes in handy when I am watching Jeopardy. laugh

And thanks Frycek, for reminding us of that receipt that was mentioned in a previous post. I'm always on guard for anything that might lessen Chopin's character and always pleased (but not surprised) when I find it has not been tarnished. thumb

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kathleen,
Perhaps a padded artist bench might be less painful and also more aesthetically pleasing than the chair. You might be able to find one used as they can be expensive. I've also used pillows although they can slide around a bit. I hope you are feeling better.

Sophia

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Sophia. I appreciate your kind words. heart

I'm going on the "rack" next week. eek It's just one of those tables that creates a negative pressure on your spine, supposedly allowing the spaces between the vertebrae to increase and thus everything snaps back into place.

Hopefully, when all the treatments are over, I'll be as tall as my youngest great-niece...6', and I'll be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. :p

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Oh Kathleen - I do hope the treatment works (although perhaps not quite to that extent) laugh Do let us know how you get on!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen,

Gentle traction is generally helpful, and safe, to take the pressure off those nerves. If it is working you may be able to get a device to use at home as well. Or if your Mr. is up to it he may be able to do some good by simply pulling on your legs.

After all, we need our souplesse in order to play!

A padded artist bench does look nice, but I don't use mine because I need the tilt. Also, mine is old, and it squeaks!

Elene

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sometimes I think that never having any aches or troubles, I can't be practising hard enough frown

I wonder if Chopin ever hurt while he was playing? As he is reported to have been bent double with pain whilst teaching, I guess he also forced himself to play sometimes when suffering.

Poor Chopin.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, both, MaryRose and Elene: I survived my first session on the rack with no trouble.

You raise a good point, MaryRose, and one I never thought of. I've never read that Chopin was doubled-over when teaching sometimes. If I did, I think I may have contributed this to his coughing spells, but I certainly could be wrong. It would seem that with his concept of "ease" and gentleness that he might not have had the pain that many of us do.

I am also like you in thinking that I must be doing something wrong because I really never experienced any pain from playing (aside from the 17th prelude, which had huge chords that my fingers could barely wrap around). Otherwise, the only thing that hurts me is my rear. Now I wonder if Chopin had a padded bench, for he didn't have too much of a cushion in that part of his body.

I recently read an interesting article in a psychology magazine about how our tastes in music/art/literature can indicate our character. My eyes fell upon the word "Chopin," which prompted me to read the whole piece.

In a nutshell, those who prefer the classics in everything (and here is where Chopin was mentioned because of our appreciation of his technical skill in composition) are usually the intraverts. While we do like people, we often prefer to be alone. We are dependable, hard-working, compassionate and self-reliant. Just the opposite for the extraverts.

I would venture to say (and I am just relying on what I have read from you and about you) that we are probably all intraverts to a large degree, for no one is completely one way or the other. This isn't to say that we are shy or retiring. On the contrary. It only indicates that we like the tried and true and really aren't risk-takers or like to venture way out there into unchartered waters, seeking to find the new and the bizzare in music and literature, etc.

What say you? Are you an intravert?

Kathleen

Here I am. Thank so much to Kathleen for the suggestion to check this thread. Touching signature you have and all the best for your back. I share the same troubles of yours, I always feel pain after half an hour and can understand how unconfortable is.

This is an unbelievable collection of articles and news one can read in the links suggested.

It will take a whole year to just read them all but cannot steal all that time from my beloved piano.

A couple of words about me and Chopin. I've always felt close to the spiritual world of Fryderyk, like many of you I'd bet if I'd lived 200 years ago in Paris he would have been my best friend laugh

Two years ago I lost a close friend of mine for a sad and silly accident, I sat at the piano and played the only piece I could recall of Chopin (Prelude no.4). Well actually it was the only one I knew of him. From that moment I swore to start again to take lessons.

I had a chance to visit Valdemossa in the isle of Palma where Chopin spent the winter with Sand and her family. It was January, a rainy day with a thick fog all day. I almost cried when I saw his cell and his hand. Great feelings I hope to bring back when i'll play the Prelude no.15 Raindrop which I'm learning right now.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Kathleen: welcome back! I hope you will be feeling better and that your session of traction was helpful. I think that you and MR can consider your pain-free playing to be due to proper technique, not inadequate practice! (although with back pain, it's a different matter). I sometimes have mild shoulder pain when starting a new piece, especially the left side when there are large leaps- as in Chopin's nocturne 27/2. Happily, it is transient. Strangely enough, practicing the 48/1 never brought me any aches or pains.

Chopinet: welcome to our thread! (I love your log-in name). smile You will find lots of friends here who share your love of Chopin and his music. It's an addiction you will not want to overcome. Looking forward to hearing samples from you! thumb

Kathleen- I would be interested to read that entire article; do you have a link, or the complete reference? As for me- definitely more introvert than extrovert, but with plenty of extrovert "enzymes" that can be induced; I don't really know if a correlation can be made, however. It's an interesting theory, but I just don't know if I buy it.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
smile smile Welcome again, Chopinet. I was so happy to see you found your way to our thread. It is fairly obvious (other than your name, of course) that you most definitely belong here, for you are immediately surrounded by friends. heart

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dear friend. The 4th prelude seems to be the one many of us turn to when our hearts are heavy. While it appears to be one of Chopin's simplest compositions, it is very deceiving. To play it the way he intended is quite difficult. I hope you found some solace from its gentle and soothing melody. I have always thought of it as a "sighing" piece. If you listen carefully, I think you will agree.

We have covered almost everything there is to cover about Chopin, and more than once. I am so envious that you had the chance to visit Valdemossa. Rather than an exciting experience, it had to be a gut-wrenching one. I doubt that few don't walk away in tears. I would imagine that being there one could feel both Chopin's presence and his pain. That you also feel a spiritual connection with him is so very much a common and strong feeling with all of us here. We find it impossible to describe, but it is there, just the same. Thank you for sharing this with us. And please do not remain a stranger. And, once again, I hope your journey with his music brings you much fulfillment and joy.

Hi Chardonnay: Thank you for your caring words. I must say that after two sessions on the rack, my back is feeling better. I don't know about MaryRose, but I do know that my technique (if I have one) is nothing to brag about. :rolleyes:

The article to which I referred was from the magazine Psychology. It was one of many magazines I found in my doctor's office, and I had to leave it there when my name was called. I don't know if it was the current issue, but I wonder if it has its own web site. I'll give it a try. Or I could always go back to my doctor and ask that they save it for me and not throw it out. It was an extremely insightful piece and even went into the characteristics of neurotic people. I'll let you know.

A good and cheerful day to all,
Kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
It was an extremely insightful piece and even went into the characteristics of neurotic people.
Kathleen, it sounds like that would be helpful to understand whether we're predominantly extraverted or introverted.

But I can say with absolute certainty that no one here is neurotic. I mean, I'm fairly sure most people here aren't neurotic. Well, I don't think many people here are neurotic. Okay, perhaps there are some. But I don't think I've encountered them. Well, I'm pretty certain I'm not aware of more than a few. No, wait, I'm positive that I don't know of any. Any at all! Well, I don't! And I am unanimous in that!

Dang.

sTeVen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm not neurotic. I'm Stark Raving Mad!!! eek

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Steven,
laugh laugh !

Sophia

Kathleen: Yes indeed I was lucky enough to visit the church and cells at Valdemossa almost at closing visiting time and above all on a rainy day which brought many people to remain at the hotel.
So I ended up being alone with my wife in the little museum and before in Chopin's cell enjoying the atmosphere of solitude and meditation which should have reigned 2 centuries ago. I've never been at Chopin's grave in Paris, but I must admit that Valdemossa has been really touching.

Chardonnay: I bet you know my nickname was how George Sand used to call Chopin. I think that literally it sounds "little Chopin", like you would call your baby or pet.
The only piece I recorded is Nocturne Posthume C#Minor, you can listen to it following the url in my profile. Now I'm working on nocturne op.37/1

What shocked me about Chopin is that for lots of year I had a misconception about his music which I regarded (maybe too influenced by nocturnes and preludes) as mainly sad, melancholy and introverted to stay on topic. This year I had the chance to attend to a couple of concert of Pietro De Maria performing exclusively Chopin's piano music (from op. 31 to op. 54) and I must admit I've been shocked by the strenght, the revolutionary feelings, the cries I witnessed in most of his pieces.
Bear with my english, I wish I could express better my sensations.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Chopinet,
Your English is fine- we know exactly what you mean!

And yes, I knew the origin of "Chopinet"! - It was one of several diminutive nicknames that Sand had for Chopin. (I wonder if he had any nicknames for her? He must have kept them to himself.)

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Chopinet -welcome, all the way from Italy! I expect you know that Chopin had warm feelings about Italy and, apart from his short trip to Genoa after the Mallorca episode, never went there although he hoped to.

Chardonnay - the nearest Chopin seemed to get to a nickname for George Sand was 'the lady of the house' - rather distant, wouldn't you say? Perhaps he kept the most intimate nickname for when they were in private.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Steven: I agree with Sophia's laugh laugh Not only are you an articulate, intelligent, talented and passionate person but also quite :p .

I happen to KNOW there are quite a few neurotic people (not on this thread, of course) on this forum. I couldn't help but notice your "exchange of ideas" with a certain someone, whose name begins with a small b and ends with a small b. Frycek and I had quite a little spat with this person many months ago. He referred to our thread as "cloying." mad Wow, did I lay into him. But after a few days, I sent him a PM apologizing for my emotional outburst, but we haven't seen or heard from him since. So much for being a big person. :rolleyes:

One must remember, Frycek, that most of the great minds had a few screws loose, here and there. I believe that they achieved what they did because they heard the beat of a different drummer.

Chardonnay: I found that article on its web site. http://psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=20080825-000002&page=1

Chopinet: I also just finished working on the C#m nocturne, posth and then started on the 37.1. How did you manage that huge run near the end? I agree with Chardonnay that your English is wonderful. I KNOW I could not learn Italian. Besides, words, in any language, do tend to fail, when speaking about Chopin and his music. I tried getting on your URL site via your profile, but all I got was the stuff I had posted on youtube. confused

MaryRose: I know a couple of Chopin's friends had nicknames for M. Sand, but good taste prevents me from mentioning them here. I can also think up of a few, but again, eek I never did care for her referring to Chopin in the diminutive. It seemed like an insult to me, especially when she said she thought of him as one of her children. Oh, Ppppllllleeeeaaasssseee! [Linked Image]

Kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I never did care for her referring to Chopin in the diminutive.
At least it wasn't Chopignon. A champignon is a mushroom!

Dang ... Chardonnay, I hope that wasn't one of the other nicknames. eek

Steven

p.s. Kathleen, re that chappie who thinks the thread is "cloying": he should join us and make some contributions of his own that he considers to be less so! Perhaps he has trouble expressing his love for our hero, but my impression from a number of comments he's made is that he's really one of us.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Steven:

Mushrooms happen to be a mainstay of the diet of many Poles. They just love 'em. I remember, as a youngster, going to the woods with my mother and aunt, hunting for them. However, I was warned that I had to be careful as some were poisonous. Thus, my bucket was fairly empty for fear of killing off everyone in my family. eek

If I remember correctly, "that person" made the cloying remark after Frycek and I were getting pretty silly, talking about Chopin's fondness for chocolate, and we were thinking up all the many food items that we could dip in that brown, heavenly ambrosia.

And, yes, I do believe he is one of us in his depth of feeling for Chopin's music. And he did make several very helpful and insightful remarks here. But, as I mentioned, he never did come back...even though I did apologize and invited him to join us once again. Oh well... frown

Kathleen

Page 204 of 425 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission