2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
OP Offline
S
she has no idea what music is!! to her everything seems to be a test, or challenge, i envy her ability, but i am certainly greatful i don't see everything as a techincal acheivement, rather than a piece of music

...yeh i needed to get that off my chest :\

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Have you met her, or heard an interview with her?

Sam
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't envy her ability...
watch her Chopin op 10/4 etude...
way too fast-no control, no clarity.

I must admit though, I think she has great technical control. I was really mesmerized watching her hands, and I even picked up a few tips on fingering in her rendition of La Campanella:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TV1Np1VXKI

I'm not crazy about the way she plays this musically (I prefer Yundi Li's best) but I still find it helpful watching her- technique is clear.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
check out Kemal Gekic's Campanella
lol he even looks like Liszt too!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I saw her perform Rachmaninov's 2nd with my local orchestra. I found her interpretation to be borderline insulting.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
lol she breaks the opening chords of rach 2.
don't DO that.... yes. rachmaninoff did it ONCE. that doesn't mean anyone else can;)if your hands are too small, play another piece! lol the rest of the concerto wasn't great either
why do so many famous pianists not deserve their fame?

S
OP Offline
S
shes famous becuase from a strictly techincal point of view, shes flawless, she is amazingly gifted, shes like an extreme Kissin - not enough emotion, too much flair

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There are many reasons why classical music appeals to a small (and increasingly smaller, alas) group of people. I can't quite escape the feeling that one of those reasons is the hypercritical cannibalism ( wink ) often on display on forums like this. It makes classical music seem like elitist entertainment, and its adherents like snobs for whom nothing is quite good enough.

If I'm reading Sam correctly, that is what seems implied in his gentle slap on the collective wrist.

The problem I have with seximoleximo's criticism is that it's vague and poorly written. He ascribes to her an attitude that certainly can't be ascertained without being familiar with her on a personal level. I suspect he's basing his ideas on her recordings. If so, then he should criticize the recordings, not the person.

Read any good reviewer and you'll notice they don't make that mistake. They describe and compare, and they may even judge a recording to be inferior to other offerings, but they don't make the amateur mistake of judging the person. History and the public do that well enough.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seximoleximo, I strongly disagree!!!! I have only heard from her: Chopin's etudes, op.10 no.1, 4, op.25 no.5,6,12, a Rach etude, and La Campanella. Now, I'm unfamiliar with the Rach etude, so I can't really judge that, but I thought the Chopin etudes were amazing. I found her 10.4 superb, and I thought it had great clarity!!! The 10.1, I enjoyed because she brought out the melody more than others do, yet I prefer the RH to remain the instructed forte. I also enjoyed her 25.12.
And as for op.25, no.5 and 6. . . . I loved them!!! Especially no.7, well and 6 to tell the truth!! She played both beautifully, with extreme delicacy.
I loved her La Campanella as well, I found the RH notes so gracefully played under her touch.
Her pianissimo also, I admired, and overall, from what I've heard, I think her playing is fabulous.
To be honest, I'm surprised so many people dislike her playing!!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
There ought to be more blonds playing piano.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by jello_g:
There ought to be more blonds playing piano.
Now, where did I put the Clairol .... ?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
There are many reasons why classical music appeals to a small (and increasingly smaller, alas) group of people. I can't quite escape the feeling that one of those reasons is the hypercritical cannibalism ( wink ) often on display on forums like this. It makes classical music seem like elitist entertainment, and its adherents like snobs for whom nothing is quite good enough.

If I'm reading Sam correctly, that is what seems implied in his gentle slap on the collective wrist.
smile

Here is my review of Valentina Lisitsa.

1. She has recorded on DVD all 24 Chopin Etudes, which means that she has learned and played all 24 Chopin Etudes, and also that she has kept them all so well in her repertoire that she could (and did) record them all on one DVD.

2. She has learned and played, and maintains in her repertoire, all of the Beethoven Concertos; all of the Rachmaninov Concertos; all of the Chopin Concertos; both of the Shostakovich Concertos and 2 of the Liszt Concertos; 3 of the Prokofiev Concertos; 5 Mozart Concertos; and more.

3. She has on her website solo videos, which she recorded, of music that she learned and played by Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, and Rachmaninov.

4. She has achieved, and maintains, world-wide fame as a concert pianist, travelling all around the world to play the piano for people who pay to hear her play.

5. She has a professional duo partner, with whom she performs concerts for people who pay to hear her play.

6. She has her biography on wikipedia.

How many of us have any one of those points to our own credit?

Yes -- there are others who have done the same. Yes -- there are others whose interpretations some of us might prefer. Yes -- there are others whose achievements surpass even those of Valentina Lisitsa. No -- these facts do not diminish her tremendous achievements.

Now to the original point -- how do you know that she does not care about the musicality and interpretation of her music? How do you know that all she cares about is technique?

And why, given her very tremendous achievements, does she not deserve her fame?

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes!

S
S
I'm very impressed - I've also heard her recording of the Ginzbourg "Largo al Factotum" and it is incredible. Can't say I've heard much else though but on the evidence of this, I may well have to listen out for more!
Interestingly, I note that she plays with very high wrists.

Best regards,
Jonathan
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
And what about this sizzling performance of the Rachmaninov A minor Etude-tableau?

She's good.

Jason
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
She's amazing. And I rather liked her op. 25 no. 6.

Honestly, what are we but the peanut gallery? At the end of the days she's the one taking home the money and earning the fame.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes obviously, but if it was seen like that then there would be no forum at all.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by hopinmad:
Yes obviously, but if it was seen like that then there would be no forum at all.
And no one was required to join in the first place. Frankly, I don't think any of the prominent pianists we discuss could give a damn what we say.

Yet, this is not always the case. One of the BBC Message Boards -I'd rather not say which, but it is one I contribute to- is read by musicians who have been severely criticized, and I know as a private fact that some of them have been extremely offended.

Jason
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission