Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1958642 - 09/14/12 01:04 AM Grunge/Alternative Rock OR Playing outside familiar genres
Cabazon Offline

I'm finding myself in a bit of a rough spot here.
 I have some friends who play music, fairly distortion-guitar-heavy stuff--think Queens of the Stone Age meets the bassist of Death From Above 1979.
 Anyway, they know I play piano, and asked me if I'd like to jam with them. They said they'd love to have some "keys."
 Now, all I've ever played on piano is classical, a few video game songs, and a bit of jazz. Also, I'd never played piano/keys with people, only drum set and bass guitar.
 Now my problem is this: When I went to a jam session of theirs, I was lost. Clueless. I knew what they were playing; I knew the chord progression. I just, for the life of me, could not figure out what I could do which would fit.
 I've got my Casio PX-3 and a synth at my disposal, so the voices available are dauntingly flexible as well. However, that's a thought for after I figure this out.

I understand that this is not the kind of issue that anybody could really answer and ultimately is down to practice, but any sort of insight--ideas, suggestions, artist/song example suggestions to listen or learn, comments, questions, jokes--I would greatly appreciate. I just want to find some sort of grounding in the style so that I can get on a track to get a bit of myself out in the music.

I am shy.

Thank you for reading.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1958766 - 09/14/12 09:26 AM Re: Grunge/Alternative Rock OR Playing outside familiar genres [Re: Cabazon]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Most popular music is rhythm driven. In that style you basically pound those chords into submission! If you can make distorted organ sound play some pentatonic riffs over the chord progression. Try listening to the music a lot and shortly you will soon get a feel for it. Grunge and Alternative are simple songs played with a lot of emotion.

#1988727 - 11/19/12 09:43 PM Re: Grunge/Alternative Rock OR Playing outside familiar genres [Re: Cabazon]
Saint Del Offline

Loc: So Cal
I had the same experience many years ago when I was tagged the keyboard guy in a band simply because I played piano, mostly classical. The chord progressions were simple, everything should have been simple yet I was lost. Being naturally shy sure didn't help either. What I eventually learned: 1) There are a fairly limited number of "standard" rock/blues moves. Listen to the music, you will hear them over and over again. They are easy to imitate. 2) The major and minor pentatonic scales will carry you through almost any "soloing" you're called upon to do. 3) give up precision, some slop is called for 4) not everything you do has to make sense, at least immediately 5) if you've got organ tones sometimes you don't have to do much of anything except hold that chord then slide into the next one 6) it's only rock and roll, so stop worrying about doing it "right" and just do something that follows the rhythm. The shy thing is a problem in rock, you have to allow or make yourself become someone else in that arena. It's ok, it's expected, everyone does it.

#1988826 - 11/20/12 05:29 AM Re: Grunge/Alternative Rock OR Playing outside familiar genres [Re: Cabazon]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
If the others of your band agree on the style, I would in general first try it with a slightly distorted B3 organ sound with quite some reverb mixed to it, keeping a chord, vary it by chord inversions, change from time to time the Leslie effect, even try to use a Wha or flanger effect from time to time (intensity of this latter effects could nicely be controlleld by the dynamics of your touch, or the aftertouch function of your synth keyboard).
Maybe listen to the intro of this, to get an inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_kez7WVUU
Maybe listen to the last third of this one as well, to get an inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Iq9CWuqMM&feature=related
More modern tunes you might want to consider for inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhXGSUQO3w

To me the basic of the keys in this genre is, that the organ adds sound to the music, so that the concert hall becomes really saturated, but does not add the melody. The latter is part of the voice and the lead guitarre.
The piano will wake up the audience hidden desire for classical music, but be careful to know your audience well to not overrun them - give them the feeling, but don´t require them to quietly having to listen and having to search for sophisticated pralines: rock audience wants to jump and scream. Help them do so!
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, andwi, AndyG123, 24 invisible), 1363 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission