2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 262 of 425 1 2 260 261 262 263 264 424 425
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Are there any images of Chopin as a child?

[Linked Image]

I love this portrait:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the youngest Chopin I could find... Does anybody know how old he was here?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
ChopinAddict, the youngest pics of Chopin seem to be a rather grotty teenage amateur picture that I can't find for the moment, and a now-lost oil painting done in Poland when he was 19.
[Linked Image]

The bottom one of your selection shows Chopin when he was 23. His (not always reliable) biographer Niecks wrote of that one that "M. Mathias regards as the best portrait of Chopin a lithograph by Engelmann after a drawing by Vigneron, of 1833, published by Maurice Schlesinger, of Paris. In a letter to me he writes: “This portrait is marvelous for the absolutely exact ides it gives of Chopin: the graceful fall of the shoulders, the Polish look, the charm of the mouth.” Mathias was one of Chopin's pupils so you'd think he would know.

BTW the one that you love, I fear is not authentic....

[edit] Oh, and the two rather nice Radziwill sketches done at age 16 and 19 on the website Jeff Kallberg guided us to.

Last edited by Mary-Rose; 10/29/09 07:58 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the information, Mary-Rose!

I feared the image I love was not authentic too....
I found it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/09ff1fe8-d61c-4b98-bb82-18487c74d7b7

I love ALL portraits of Chopin at any rate! 3hearts

CA

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here's the grotty amateur one MaryRose mentioned. I'm afraid it's even grottier than it might be since my image was tiny and I had to "blow it up." He was 14. Whoever sketched him got the nose right and the mouth and chin a bit wrong. He probably hated it. Note the ears.

[Linked Image]

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
That puckish and youthful portrait—which I'm certain I've never seen before now—reminds me of Pee-wee Herman, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I always thought Pee-wee was adorable. smile

Steven

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cute portrait... heart

Last edited by ChopinAddict; 10/30/09 01:39 AM.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
C
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

Chopin4life: I had an iPod and have thought of downloading some music but have been a bit hesitant in doing so for fear I will have problems. Does it work well?

It's very quick and easy to do, plus saves the trip into town or the long wait for it to arrive in the post (especially witht he Royal Mail strike over here at the moment). Its there instantly and you can take it anywhere, although it does need charging every so often. Single tracks cost 79p on iTunes, and an album of 10-20 tracks will set you back £7.99. If you wanted to buy Askenazy's complete Chopin works, that costs you £79.99, but its much cheaper than buying each track individually! I can't see you having any problems with it. By the way do you have an apple computer or a PC, as iPods generally work better with macs than PCs because they're made by the same company?

Regarding the current topic on Chopin portraits, I don't think I have anything to add. smile

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ah! Yesterday my iPod wouldn't charge. I tried everything, I rebooted, changed the USB port, then it went completely dead, so I really thought that was it. I DESPERATELY need it when I go out otherwise I would go insane with the noise etc. Chopin is my rescuer (as always).
I rushed out to buy a new one, and guess what... As soon as I came home with the new one, I tried to charge the old one again (I don't know why!) and it worked... So now I have two, although I do think the old one might be faulty, I had even tried another computer - nothing, it was completely dead...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Chopin4Life: I have an iPod and love it. I was wondering about downloading music. I have Askenazy's complete Chopin and also Rubinstein (minus etudes). I play them all the time on my little speaker than I have hooked up to the iPod. For being so small, it does a great job.

ChopinAddict: Keep one in the car.

I thought that one picture of Chopin as a teenager looked rather vampirish. I prefer the one where he looks like an angel because his music is truly heaven-sent.

I just started reading a very interesting book called Talent is Overrated. I was drawn to it immediately because talent has always been a bit out-of-reach for me. Some great thoughts about it, in general. Will share more tomorrow.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My daughter's iPod is getting up in years, and sometimes won't charge. She was trying to use my MacBook to charge it the other day, and after she plugged and unplugged and jiggled it over and over, it finally decided it would allow itself to be charged.

I still haven't made the leap, myself. I do download music to my computer, though.

Elene

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
ChopinAddict and Elene: I have always used a "charging dock" for my iPods, and have never had a problem. My current one lives on the dock in between uses, and that way it's always fully charged when I need it, and I don't have to bother using the computer for this purpose. I don't even know if the computer would charge it- never tried.. I only connect it to the computer for synchronizing when I've added new music to iTunes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the advice, Chardonnay. I think it is better than a computer. Besides, if you want to charge it overnight, you don't have to leave the computer on...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Here's my silly question of the day: I have an Ipod and I love it too, but I only use it either with headphones or the charging dock. I'm still learning. How do you get the Ipod to play through the car stereo?
blush
I know, I warned you it was a silly question!

C
C
Not a silly question. If your car has an Ipod adapter/socket then you can just plug it into there. It's usually located around the centre console or in the glove box. If not you can probably get one installed. Just downloaded Pollini études minus the Trois Nouvelle Études.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
B
B
There are also cassette adapters and FM transmitters that plug into either your headphone jack or the proprietary port on the bottom of the ipod. You would either put a dummy tape into your deck, or set your radio to the proper frequency..

Some stereos will also have AUX inputs, either something that looks like a headphone jack or 2xRCA plugs somewhere on the unit. In that case, you just get a 1/8" to __ cable, plug into your headphone jack, and switch your stereo to AUX. This is what I do with my non-ipod mp3 player.

ipod specific accessories will _look_ better, but you might pay less for others.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks very much to both of you for the information. Sometimes I feel like technology is changing faster than I can keep up!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There was a time when I thought headphones and portable music were just "it". I actually toted a hand-held mono reel-to-reel around, with some kind of primitive over-the-ear cans, so I could hear The Band and Emerson, Lake and Palmer when I took off for a walk to the park in New Orleans. (Yes, it was quite a long time ago.)

Now, I'm looking for SACD players and better speakers, and it is "it" no longer. The offerings as to SACD players seem very limited now (one disc at a time, no EQ, no balance control, etc), but I think it's a trend with a lot to offer, especially if you love piano music--- so hard to reproduce faithfully.

I can't make out if I'm ahead of the curve or behind the times. The lossy compression of MP3s lacks appeal to me--- I can hear a difference. Maybe if we're talking about Britney and the like, it hardly matters. Still, having a soundtrack for your life that lifts you above the mundane and rackety...

Clef

B
B
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I can't make out if I'm ahead of the curve or behind the times. The lossy compression of MP3s lacks appeal to me--- I can hear a difference. Maybe if we're talking about Britney and the like, it hardly matters. Still, having a soundtrack for your life that lifts you above the mundane and rackety...

There are a few players that support lossless codecs (like FLAC) natively. Quite a few others can be hacked into supporting lossless formats, too (google: rockbox).

That wouldn't help you if you were trying to buy music online, since almost everything is one lossy codec or another...and it wouldn't help with SACDs, since I don't think that there's currently a way to read the extended info (you just get redbook if you stick them in a computer). But regardless, I rip all of my music to flac. I can't stick it on the player that I have right now, but the upside is that I'll never need to rip my CDs again because I have lossless copies already..and I can just encode to whatever format I need in one pass.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Buck. But you lost me around the first sentence. help I envy people who know all the tech stuff.

I am still reading that "Talent" book and hope to give a brief review soon.

Best to all,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It means, more or less, that what you put on an iPod has a lot of the originally recorded data "thrown away" to make the file smaller. So, the audio quality is degraded. This matters more with classical music than it does with contemporary pop recordings, which are engineered to fit in a narrower range of frequencies that sound uniformly "loud," and emphasize certain features, such as the bass.

Some of my Chopin books came in, Kathleen. I'll be joining you in soaking up some new information.

Clef

Page 262 of 425 1 2 260 261 262 263 264 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission