2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
AAMom Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Our budget is 3K but the price of used U1 yamaha (1975) is 4K in my area. Please let me know which model should I get in the 3K budget.

This is for my daughter 6 years old.

Yamaha Piano-P2E 1995 is a good choice?

Yamaha U1F 1999. Can you tell if it is made in china or japan?

How is Young Chang? will it last for a long time?

Thanks!

Last edited by AAMom; 09/13/12 11:00 AM.
M
M
I would say that Kawai K3 is another choice. My daughter's first piano was Kawai K3. She loved this piano a lot. I think it's a perfect piano for a young kids with spending less money.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Young Changs are not very good for children, because most of them tend to have very heavy actions.

All U1 pianos are made in Japan, with a minority that were assembled in the UK, but they were the same quality of piano, and only available in the UK.

You might want to consider, depending on where you are, a Yamaha P121, or even a B3.

YAMAHA Artist
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
On that budget, you might also check the Cable-Nelson pianos. These are a Yamaha product, from China, but they are coming from a completely Yamaha controlled factory. I have found the Cable-Nelson pianos to be very good.

The older U1, from '75, is likely to have issues from aging bass strings and worn action. Better to have a 'new' over buying someone else's problem.

The newer U1, '99, should be from Japan. If in your budget, a good choice, too.

I also like the Kawai K3, but that would be more expensive than the Cable-Nelson or a used U1.

The P2 is now 17 yrs. old, and may also have issue with aging strings or worn action.

If possible, you should have a technician check any purchase you are making. There are many issues that can crop up on ANY used piano. It is like having a mechanic check the car before you buy it.

Have fun!

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I actually would recommend a used Young Chang. The action feels light to me. But get a nicer Young Chang like an Albert Weber or YC Pramberger if used. You might be able to get a new Y114 for your budget; it's actually a very nice little piano with the new design changes.

A
AAMom Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks so much for your replies.

The Yamaha U1F 1999 was sold for $2K by a private owner. I was jsut a little late. I was in the meeting when i saw the ad, right after the meeting i called and it was sold ;-( kicking myself!!!!

Kawai K3 I couldn't find a used one in my area so i dont know what its price? Can someone please tell how much is it for a used one? what year should i get it?

Used Yamaha U1 (1975s) is $4,100 in my area. But Jeff said I shouldn't get 75 it was too old.

I was planning to buy from this dealer (see link) if I can't find any piano from a private sale. Can you please tell me which one (in my $3K budget) should I get from the link?
http://rickjonespianos.com/uprights.htm

Thanks so much!

Last edited by AAMom; 09/14/12 10:31 AM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
That is an impressive webpage and store. They look very professional and up-to-date. Having a large inventory, and being a busy store, they have the ability to offer some very good pricing, it appears!

Of the choices I see in your budget; take a hard look and listen to the Yamaha P22. That is an 'institutional model' piano. Designed for schools, churches, and the like. It has a more solid framing and sturdy design. There are double-wheel casters. It is a durable and popular piano.

The other choices, under $3k, are not as appealing to me...from a distance. The Young Chang and Samick models are older and their actions are 'heavier' than the P22. For a beginning student, I would suggest a moderate or light touch on the action/keys. All of those others, in my experience, are a little heavier to the fingers and may be too 'stiff' for a beginning student.

Drag your student to the store and bring some music with you. The one thing I always suggest is that the player actually play the piano! The salesfolk will be happy to let your student play the pianos, and make sure that they are a good fit for each other. Tapping a few keys is not as good as sitting and working with the piano for 20-minutes or a half-hour. Be sure that the two will be comfortable with each other. OK?

Just my opinion!
Yr. mileage may vary,
Smiling,
I am,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
M
M
The price of a used Kawai K3 under 10 years in our area is around/below $3K depends on built year and conditions. We sold our 2006 Kawai K3 for $2900 recently.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
maybe you can find a used Charles Walter.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission