Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1959813 - 09/16/12 06:23 PM The WORST live performance you have ever heard?
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

What is the absolute worst live performance by a renowned pianist you've ever heard?? (excluding Lang Lang, Yundi Li and Horowitz in his drugged up years)

I must say that personally, this rendition of the 4th ballade takes the cake. It's like he was utterly bored, or had the flu..

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1959820 - 09/16/12 06:40 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
If you count seeing a video of it online, it's Argerich's performance of Chopin's 1st Ballade which (fortunately or unfortunately) has been taken down from youtube.

#1959827 - 09/16/12 06:50 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
If you count seeing a video of it online, it's Argerich's performance of Chopin's 1st Ballade...

The worst performance? I don't think so. Yes, it is fast and rather scrambled, but you don't criticize technical address on that level.

Sorry mate, perhaps Argerich had too much coffee, but she does not play badly. (Okay, not a performance I could live with, but no playing of Argerich is ever the 'the worst', IMO.)

wink

#1959837 - 09/16/12 07:07 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
The worst performance? I don't think so....

Jason, it looks like your allegiance made you forget what the question was. smile

The worst live performance that we've heard by a renowned pianist.

And indeed I promise you that if seeing it online counts, indeed there has been none worse.
That I've heard.
Indeed. smile

#1959854 - 09/16/12 07:31 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Online   content

....oh....or maybe you weren't being really serious -- in which case I was too serious. smile

#1959860 - 09/16/12 07:40 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

The worst live performance that we've heard by a renowned pianist.

Okay, okay, fair enough. I was too busy with Fleisher. (BTW, you need to read that book!) smile

Yeah, it's Argerich at her most impatient. I've never liked it, truth to tell. And her live Tchaikovsky has none of the poise of the studio recording.

But Argerich is just... Argerich. Like Horowitz, she has her off days.

#1959868 - 09/16/12 08:03 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

But Argerich is just... Argerich. Like Horowitz, she has her off days.

Puh-lease! laugh

#1959869 - 09/16/12 08:15 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I fail to see the usefulness of making sport of putting people's bad days on display.

And seriously...calling that video of Berezovsky the worst rendition of something makes me want to never post a video of any of my playing here on PianoWorld ever.

The world is not a competition and we are not its jury. I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

ugh...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1959880 - 09/16/12 08:31 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Kreisler]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

ugh...

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1959882 - 09/16/12 08:37 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
I agree. I still want to have Berezovsky's baby. I don't care if his inspiration wanes from day to day. Nobody is perfect all the time. The up days are so magnificent. We should celebrate their glories and not focus on when they aren't so glorious.

As for me, I don't think I've ever witnessed a non-thrilling recital. But ticket prices being what they are, it's been a while since I've been to one.

#1959889 - 09/16/12 08:47 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Kreisler]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

But YouTube isn't moderated. I fail to see the comparison. (And PW is peaches compared to the Radio 3 Forum which is even more heavily moderated.)

Lots of nasty stuff on YT, but who cares? I only make a point of commenting positively, if I don't care for a recording, I move on.

#1959890 - 09/16/12 08:47 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Kreisler]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
I fail to see the usefulness of making sport of putting people's bad days on display.

And seriously...calling that video of Berezovsky the worst rendition of something makes me want to never post a video of any of my playing here on PianoWorld ever.

The world is not a competition and we are not its jury. I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

ugh...
Exactly.

It's good for young and inexperienced musicians to ask questions, but the description of Berezovsky's performance the OP is frankly outrageous(even though I didn't like what I listened to in the first minute). Same comment for the title of this thread.

Start out with respect for a winner of the Tchaikovsky competition and even much "lesser" pianists. Then you will learn something about playing the piano.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/17/12 12:40 AM)

#1959900 - 09/16/12 09:33 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Kreisler]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I think most of us would love to have an "off day" like the one Boris is having there!

#1959911 - 09/16/12 10:09 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: DameMyra]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: DameMyra

ugh...

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

I agree too.

Music is my best friend.

#1959944 - 09/16/12 11:49 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
newport Offline

Originally Posted By: mazurkajoe
What is the absolute worst live performance by a renowned pianist you've ever heard?? (excluding Lang Lang, Yundi Li and Horowitz in his drugged up years)

Welcome to the real world. Any other questions?

#1959981 - 09/17/12 03:19 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Youtube isn't a cesspool of criticism it's a cesspool of nastiness. Criticism doesn't necessarily have to be nasty. I think the OP poses a genuinely interesting question and I'm sure we can all behave like adults while discussing it.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1960003 - 09/17/12 05:37 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Meanwhile I'll go buy popcorn --

#1960065 - 09/17/12 09:54 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul

This! ha

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1960076 - 09/17/12 10:26 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Batuhan]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
10 out of 10 for enthusiasm!

#1960083 - 09/17/12 10:39 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: debrucey]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: debrucey
[...]I think the OP poses a genuinely interesting question and I'm sure we can all behave like adults while discussing it.

What is there to discuss? What is the point in highlighting bad moments in professional careers? It seems, at best, a rather puerile pursuit.

Regards,

#1960094 - 09/17/12 11:10 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: BruceD
...What is the point in highlighting bad moments in professional careers? It seems, at best, a rather puerile pursuit.

Well, for one thing, at least in the case of this thread, it helps increase the number of people in the world who know words like "puerile." ha

#1960095 - 09/17/12 11:14 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: argerichfan]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City

But YouTube isn't moderated. I fail to see the comparison. (And PW is peaches compared to the Radio 3 Forum which is even more heavily moderated.)
I think Kreisler's point was that the topic itself was somewhat juvenile and inappropriate.

I think some posters(seemingly far more frequently those who are not particularly advanced)feel important when they criticize major pianists in immature ways. In my opinion they only look silly doing this.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/17/12 11:19 AM)

#1960113 - 09/17/12 11:53 AM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Also, I should probably make it clear - I was speaking as a forum member, not as moderator. I have no intentions of taking any moderator actions. I was just voicing my opinion as a regular human being. smile
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1960129 - 09/17/12 12:21 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Mark_C]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: BruceD
...What is the point in highlighting bad moments in professional careers? It seems, at best, a rather puerile pursuit.

Well, for one thing, at least in the case of this thread, it helps increase the number of people in the world who know words like "puerile." ha

True - I'm going to look it up now....... ha

#1960130 - 09/17/12 12:26 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
I agree with the criticism of the thread itself. However, an anecdote associated with this gives another perspective. I am a hi-fi fan so benefit from good quality sound. Many years' ago I was listening to a live recital by Vlado Perlmeuter, whose first group of pieces was the first set of Chopin's Mazurkas. The audience settled down, he played a few bars and came to a halt. The audience quietened. He started again and broke down again. The audience went absolutely quiet. Again he failed. It was so quiet you could hear his footsteps as he left the stage. Cue audience shuffling and coughing, then quiet again as you heard his footsteps back to the piano. Perfect playing.

It was a riveting experience and demonstrates his professionalism. OK, he had a memory lapse, went off for a refresher from the score (presumably) and then delivered a fine performance.

#1960169 - 09/17/12 01:47 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Then there is competition failure, a very brief form of performance collapse. Mercifully brief, on occasion.

I'll bet the young fellow went home and launched into the piece with fury and abandon, perfectly.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1960181 - 09/17/12 02:00 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Piano*Dad]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

poor guy! frown

#1960211 - 09/17/12 02:50 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: JoelW]
FSO Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
I don't believe this thread has, by nature, no potential for value; is it not a similar question to asking what is the best performance you have heard? I mean...assuming that the comments are not out of nastiness or puerile, obsessive disillusionment with the point of music and, in general, discussion and the articles pertaining thereto, um, couldn't one say that by discussing the best that one is simply stating, in a more qualitative rather than quantitative sense, what they consider the important factors (which one may try to thereafter improve upon) and likewise by asking for the worst, what to avoid? Just a thought...
Oh, I love that Eisenstein recording by the way; I adore his passion, whether artificial or not.
Xxx

#1960218 - 09/17/12 02:57 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: FSO]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: FSO
I don't believe this thread has, by nature, no potential for value; is it not a similar question to asking what is the best performance you have heard? I mean...assuming that the comments are not out of nastiness or puerile, obsessive disillusionment with the point of music and, in general, discussion and the articles pertaining thereto, um, couldn't one say that by discussing the best that one is simply stating, in a more qualitative rather than quantitative sense, what they consider the important factors (which one may try to thereafter improve upon) and likewise by asking for the worst, what to avoid? Just a thought...
Oh, I love that Eisenstein recording by the way; I adore his passion, whether artificial or not.
Xxx

One can easily consider the important factors of music without highlighting someone's "bad" performances. It creates more negativity than the contrary.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1960222 - 09/17/12 03:02 PM Re: The WORST live performance you have ever heard? [Re: Pogorelich.]
FSO Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich

One can easily consider the important factors of music without highlighting someone's "bad" performances. It creates more negativity than the contrary.

I never said it was the best way, I'm only suggesting that, perhaps, we could try to take the best from the worst, if you will? There's no negativity spare when negativity is intended; an artist should be able admit their faults and we shouldn't feel ashamed for agreeing with them or pointing them out in the first place; I mean, um, when I foul up I don't mind being told so, I don't mind it being mocked even. Maybe I'm hasty in trying to defend views contrary to your own and for that I'm sorry, but...just consider that the negativity may not actually exist for some...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, ando, antony, Akshay, 36251, 46 invisible), 1658 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission