2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
"If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?"

Well, that would be great, if I could actually pick it up tonight. I have to look into moving it and that's not that simple!

. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

True, but in the case that the offer is $200 below the asking price (like my $750), and the seller has more people looking at it, and still a good amount of time left, then it is likely that the seller will not accept a firm deal. I think this technique is the best idea when 1) you're 100% sure you want to buy the piano and 2) your offer is closer to the asking price).

it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants

This is correct at the time that I made the $750 offer. Also, the owner was already expecting more people to take a look at that point, so I think he would've waited on those people anyway. In any case, I would not hand in the money at this point, no matter what, since I still need to make arrangements to pick it up, so there is never a "binding transaction".

Update:
The last person who saw the piano yesterday offered the asking price of $950, and the owner sealed the deal on the spot frown. This at least shows that the owner was not bluffing.

Now I have to start my search all over again! If you know anyone in Manhattan selling a good DP, let me know!

Last edited by ggould; 05/23/12 07:59 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by ggould
"If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?"

Well, that would be great, if I could actually pick it up tonight. I have to look into moving it and that's not that simple!

. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

True, but in the case that the offer is $200 below the asking price (like my $750), and the seller has more people looking at it, and still a good amount of time left, then it is likely that the seller will not accept a firm deal. I think this technique is the best idea when 1) you're 100% sure you want to buy the piano and 2) your offer is closer to the asking price).

it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants

This is correct at the time that I made the $750 offer. Also, the owner was already expecting more people to take a look at that point, so I think he would've waited on those people anyway. In any case, I would not hand in the money at this point, no matter what, since I still need to make arrangements to pick it up, so there is never a "binding transaction".

Update:
The last person who saw the piano yesterday offered the asking price of $950, and the owner sealed the deal on the spot frown. This at least shows that the owner was not bluffing.

Now I have to start my search all over again! If you know anyone in Manhattan selling a good DP, let me know!

I would have paid $1,500 for it.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I would have paid $1,500 for it.

Owner should've kept playing the betting game! I would've upped $950!

S
S
Going to try to resurrect this forum. There's a used CLP 330 that I'm looking at purchased in 2009 going for $1500 USD. Assuming it's in good condition, would you consider this a decent price? I saw a new one at a dealer going for 2200-2300. I was hoping to pay more around $1000. What do you all think?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dealer asking price might have been $2200, but you'd likely have been able to buy for $1800-$2000. So $1500 for a three-year-old is too high, IMO. I think $1000 might be too low, unless the seller is under pressure to sell. There's one way to find out. Offer $1000. Make it tempting. Have your cash in hand. (But check out the piano first!)

S
S
update. It was as good as advertised. Got it for 1000 (which is good because that's all my bank would let me withdraw from my ATM today!

Congratulations. That was a very good deal.

Great deal, well done!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R
Hope i can ask this question in this topic. I found a used CLP 330, asking price €900. Is this a good deal? What should be my offer? I was hoping to spend around €600,- on a good second hand DP with realistic piano sound. On the pictures it looks in good condition.

What do you think?

Do i have to link to my other post?

Last edited by Steffanricardo; 05/15/13 06:10 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission