Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1959758 - 09/16/12 04:31 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Loc: United States
OperaTenor,

At this juncture without compromising my intellectual property, pictures cannot be posted via internet until my patent pending matures early spring 2013.

The materials I select are according to consistent grain structure than multiple densities that could present fissures that would eventually crack and would not be candidates for this application while there are thousands of qualified densities to choose.

Unfortunately in person is the way to go to have a full perspective of what actually is happening. You tube compresses etc.. @ present this is all we have posted online for now. We haven't concentrated solely on recordings since the real opinions come from the actual playability while witnessing the performance in person.

Thank you for your response.

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1959769 - 09/16/12 04:53 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Hello Kamin,

The type of playability questions can be answered by Dr Richard Bosworth @ www.richardbosworth.org Richard would answer any of those type questions for you folks.

I doubled the Mass of the bridge which is visible in our press release in the January issue of the slippery rock gazette magazine. slipperyrockgazette.net/file/archive/0111/pdfs/Issue_25.htm

We have had no issues of any flaws with the strings of any kind. this prototype has been completed back 2010.

We purposely used this crude indonesian entry level baby grand 5'1" piano to prove the significant improvement.

Thank you.

#1959910 - 09/16/12 10:08 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Robert Di Santo
Very true but, granite is a natural occurring mineral undaunted by man.The stone is quarried then I sculpt the stone to fit along with other techniques that makes the efficiency of the bridge far better than any wood bridge could ever be. When you hear the piano in person you will understand, they'll be more to follow. just because tradition has been the forefront of the majority of pianists doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

No argument with what you are hearing. . . .

It may take years to really understand what is happening. The big problem with piano improvement ideas has been the thought that "we are just changing this one thing so everything else will remain the same while this particular factor is improved."

Normally there side-effects or gaps in understanding all the variables. Certainly the transmission speed of sound is faster through granite than wood. I'm not convinced that is the mechanism that is used for sound transfer -- particularly if the model of soundboard as a transducer is valid where the issue is getting the soundboard to move in compliance with the string.

Also, with the change in material is a significant change in mass. This will likely affect impedance -- no doubt for an improvement- - but nonetheless a factor.

Haven't seen what you are doing with side bearing on the bridge pins, but certainly that's a legitimate question as far a whether fracturing might be a part of the end-of-life symptoms. Not saying this necessarily matter -- if it lasts 75 years -- or even 50, who really cares?

I'm looking forward to seeing the piano when I'm in Chicago this weekend.

#1959993 - 09/17/12 04:19 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
an optimized transmission of waves thru the lenght of the top of the bridge visibly make the soundboard react sooner, the multi layered bridge of Steinways is probably working in the same direction.

Keith, your question about waves thru the soundboard, or vibrations in the other plane, need an answer.

I suppose that both elements exist together one during the attack and the rest in the sustain, I will try to find more on the subject..

#1960038 - 09/17/12 08:31 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Olek]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Of all the posts I've read with some folks referring to the bridge as a filter is completely wrong. The bridge is the first contact to the initial attack from the string energy which the job of the bridge is to act as the optimum transducer taking as much of that energy to the soundboard with minimal or no signal loss. In this instance, wood is not the optimum choice for this function, this is why manufactures use different combinations of tone woods etc. to get optimum performance when granite is the ticket.

The algorithm of a piano is, Attack - Decay - Sustain - Release.
With a granite bridge in place the algorithm is, Attack - SUSTAIN - Decay - Release.

Wood bridges sustain the decayed sound and that has always been a problem with all types a pianos, especially in the treble registers more so in the last octave. Not any more.. I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to see and play this piano @ the pianoforte for your own curiosities since it will be there until february 1st 2013.

#1960051 - 09/17/12 09:16 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
What I find really strange in this thread, and with all due respect, very detrimental to a discussion of the technical merits of the granite bridge, is an apparently random mixture of
... science (e.g. transducer principles, partial envelope),
... pseudo-science (utilizing "stored energy of atoms in a crystalline matrix" for a faster response),
... new-age mysticism (chakras and healing frequencies being felt at cellular level) and
... downright gobbledygook.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1960056 - 09/17/12 09:25 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Mark, You should stick to gardening...
Never argue with stupid people, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience...Mark Twain

#1960086 - 09/17/12 10:44 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Right, then, off to the garden I am!

I'll leave you to it, with another Mark Twain quote:

To string incongruities and absurdities together in a wandering and sometimes purposeless way, and seem innocently unaware that they are absurdities, is the basis of the American art, if my position is correct...

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1960096 - 09/17/12 11:18 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I think I'll wait and see whether the worlds top piano manufacturers adopt granite bridges before getting too excited! Now if someone could come up with water bridges ..... after all it's a well know fact that water transfers sound waves superbly wink

Think I'll join Mark in the garden too, we can enjoy talking to the plants smile

#1960100 - 09/17/12 11:24 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada

I believe this 528 frequency and granite bridge combination has a healing effect that will have a more far-reaching outcome in terms of positive impact on humanity.

There unfortunately is not a single shred of any solid scientific evidence or any reliable study that proves this.

Mark, You should stick to gardening...
Never argue with stupid people, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience...Mark Twain

Even with gardening if you lean close to your plants and talk nicely to them, they will be exposed to higher levels of carbon dioxide from your breath. To some extent they will photosynthesize more efficiently because of it. They will get this same boost if you were to yell obcenities at them.

A smart person knows the role this plays in reality (photosynthesis), an ignorant person will believe it helps because of how you speak to the plant or what you say.

A person is not necessarily stupid because they don't choose believe what you believe.

#1960106 - 09/17/12 11:42 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I love decay. Verymuch. That is what I tune first...

#1960107 - 09/17/12 11:42 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Johnkie]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Originally Posted By: Johnkie
I think I'll wait and see whether the worlds top piano manufacturers adopt granite bridges before getting too excited! Now if someone could come up with water bridges ..... after all it's a well know fact that water transfers sound waves superbly wink

Think I'll join Mark in the garden too, we can enjoy talking to the plants smile

Speed of sound in granite is 5950 m/sec. Its speed in water is about 1/4 this, (1497 m/sec). Granite however is only 92% as fast in sound conveyance as aluminum, 46% as fast as beryllium for example. Some glass, most steels and irons, titanium ect.. exibit the same speed as granite so I am wondering what properties granite has that would make it stand out the choice here in comparison? Glass can be easily molded, steel can be forged, stamped or machined. Granite and most stones on the other hand get a slight impact or cut/saw in the wrong way and will crack.

#1960108 - 09/17/12 11:47 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Johnkie, I was listening to a system with liquid filled speaker cables just this weekend. They are amazing!

#1960109 - 09/17/12 11:47 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Mark, Johnkie, Emmery,

A smart person listens to factual logic, and we do have factual science from cymascope.com as well as other sources in the private sector.

I can't post the results here but you can see them on my Stonetone facebook page for now until my website goes online.

Besides the science and the credible folks who have already noted this as a revolutionary concept I am here to divulge some aspects of what is to break into your industry once a manufacturer gets a hold of this.

Our presentation is the 1st made public so far.

Relax and enjoy what is to come don't be ignorant to the concept because you have minimal knowledge of stone in general and or the attributes based on the mineral composition and it's comparison to wood.

Seems your attitudes are more like the mushroom which they feed on **** and grow in the dark. Time to come out of the dark ages and do your home work to know really what your talking about. Sure isn't gardening.

#1960112 - 09/17/12 11:52 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I think it may be mass and rigidity. A massive, rigid bridge should have lots of inertia, which is why the attack gets lost, and it might stay in motion longer than a bridge that is less massive. But I agree that the choice of material seems rather arbitrary. I also think that the change in attack is detrimental to the sound. After all, one plays a lot more short notes on a piano than long ones, so if the balance is between an interesting attack and a slower decay, I would put the emphasis on the attack.

#1960114 - 09/17/12 11:55 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Emmery,

Stone is natural, PERIOD. every other mineral you mention is tweaked by a process... The process that granite has endured man cannot explain. Even the science sector has theories but thats all they are. There is no process that granite endures other than being quarried which doesn't affect the natural occuring process in which it was created. The magic lies there and yet to be explained but sure as the scientists get further with this they will have some type of explanation that can be explained in leman terms.

#1960115 - 09/17/12 11:55 AM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Gee Robert, nothing like being full of yourself. But it's nice of you to take the time to let us know were about to enter into the "Stone age".

Like Mark Twain said, we will beat you with experience. Might be worth wasting some of your brain cells to 'temper' your approach; if you really want to sell this to the industry and the general public.

(just my 2 cents)

#1960121 - 09/17/12 12:00 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Dave B]
Robert Di Santo Offline

I've only been researching for 12 yrs. on this concept, so I do have allot to share but not until my patent issues. Dave B relax this is a good thing for all artists for ALL stringed instruments. i am a journeyman in the stone industry as well as a musician so by having both perspectives I've developed Stonetone.

Thank you.

#1960122 - 09/17/12 12:00 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Bdb is right on target.

#1960125 - 09/17/12 12:13 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

As I've already said ....... I'll wait until respected piano manufacturers adopt new techniques and materials. Too many times have I hears of brilliant new ideas and concepts ... most of which simply vanish into obscurity.

I really don't see any need for rudeness Robert ..... you have your views and others are perfectly entitled to hold their own that may differ. From what I see so far, you are merely promoting yourself and name calling other technicians that have every right to doubt any amazing breakthroughs in piano technology.

#1960126 - 09/17/12 12:16 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting. Reminds me of that glass soundboard we saw before

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr4gd7JWSzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAocXTP65I

On these recordings, this approach sounds not balanced to me. Indeed the treble sings a lot. But the bass is almost totally lacking. Even the lower tenor is already lacking power IMHO.

#1960133 - 09/17/12 12:41 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: wouter79]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Johnkie pay attention here !! remember this comment from your friend that you agreed with?
"downright gobbledygook" you call that an opinion? The truths I've shared are Fact not what mark calls "downright gobbledygook" now you see when folks get sarcastic the same can return so I ask "do you need a tissue"?

#1960135 - 09/17/12 12:45 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Wouter,

You tube really isn't the proper place to have a true judgement and has no comparison rather than in person but for now this is all we have at the moment.

I have a 1963 9' concert grand 2/3 way completed, once this is done by Christmas this should really tell us allot by doing a better quality grand than the crude story & clark.

#1960198 - 09/17/12 02:23 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
mariotto Offline

Loc: EU
It is always so, the new is very often viewed with the suspicion especialy when it comes to piano industry. I personaly have a great deal of respect for exploring and bringing new ideas. But, as a pianist I can say that the sound on the recording does not convince me at all, it is rather impoverishement of the sound than enrichment. Yes, there is better projection, initial attac seems to be better, but in the end I cannot see how this can be felt through the finger. I do not belive there is the dept under the fingers in which a pianist can explore various colors and types of sound. I think every pianist knows that feeling. Many of new pianos these days are a technology mastered to the last detail, with a lot of "improvements" that, viewed from the technical point of view should bring a lot, but in the end, when a pianist sits on the piano, the depht does not exist, the magic does not exist, the piano is simply grey in color. So," Stone tone" to me as a musician sounds from the beginning a little bit odd, we actually try to avoid a type of "stone tone"... But, the concept of the piano tone nowdays changed a lot, so, who knows...maybe it is a future... I dont know, maybe I am strange for that, but I think I can hear the wood in the piano tone and the way the tone travels through he whole piano, to me, wood gives the nobility in the tone... Of course everyone has his image in the head of the tone projection, something like singers, you could be amased what kind of pictures do they have in head when it comes to the descreibing of their way...

#1960231 - 09/17/12 03:27 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Very kind of you to offer a tissue, but no thank you, and sorry if you feel that I'm not paying attention. You no doubt are very passionate about your breakthrough, where as I am not. I have tuned and serviced too many fine quality pianos during my career to have need to worry unduly about issues of lacking sound quality and the need for any radical changes in designs. If something turns out to improve performance and quality of tone, great ... but it would tend to have to prove itself over time before being readily accepted.

You say your granite bridge changes the ADSR to ASDR and in so doing, requires more treble dampers to counter the additional sustain .... I wouldn't view that as an improvement at all ... more an evolution to a completely different instrument. Part of the very soul of a pianoforte is the essence of initial attack,and decay. Altering the relationship of sustain over and above the normal ratio between attack and decay is in effect, changing it more to properties more suited to that of an organ.

#1960238 - 09/17/12 03:38 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
I like the sound of the claire da lune on that little grand. Not a very good recording, however, which is a shame. I think you've been a bit too quick to start promoting this - you're not able to show any decent evidence to support your claims, so you seem to be relying on a lot of conjecture, and attacking anyone who is sceptical.

Now you might be convinced of the healing powers of the Earth Frequency 528Hz. But I'd advise strongly against wrapping that up with your promotion of this product. To convince the industry you will have to convince the hardcore sceptics, and nothing turns off a sceptic like hearing how some arbitrary change of tuning can create magical results. This makes Kary Regragui's review practically worthless - all it convinces me of is that he has an unscientific mind.

I've also looked for your facebook page and have been unable to find it, as I was interested in the 'science' that you say Cymascope have done for you. But looking at Cymascope's website, it looks like they are just the producers of a pretty way to visualise sound, a new type of oscilloscope. And as I can't find the images or what have you that they've produced, then there's no way to know if this is going to be useful.

Please bear in mind that to call something 'science' you are making certain claims. You are claiming that you have conducted experiments that are as objective as possible to test your hypothesis that granite bridges are better. You have gathered evidence that support your hypothesis, from repeatable experiments. And although of course this is a commercial venture and so you have patents to protect, it should be possible for outsiders to verify your experimental data.

Until you can support your claims with some of the background science, none of us can verify what you are saying, so it is purely conjecture. No matter how much you say it is science, until the evidence is there, for all intents and purposes to everyone except you, it is not. It is mysterious and new, there are many claims made, but that is it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Keith Akins has to say after he has seen the piano.

I, like many others have said, will reserve judgement until a real comparison can be made. The next retrofit you do, you should record the piano before it is done and after, using high quality recording equipment. And all other parts of the piano should stay the same. Then a direct comparison can be made, and your claims will be held up to proper scrutiny.

Even better - keep two pianos side by side, identical apart from the bridge smile (expensive I know!)

All the best to you though.

#1960252 - 09/17/12 03:53 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The thing that I notice most in this thread is that the the "pitch man" is insulting the very people he is trying to pitch to.

Not the most effective marketing technique.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1960307 - 09/17/12 05:19 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Robert Di Santo Offline

Take care folks, I am done here and defiantly don't need your rhetoric.

#1960310 - 09/17/12 05:23 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Robert Di Santo Offline

You want science???? email ( John stuart reid) owner of www.cymascope.com and mention Stonetone® he will clarify that of all the pianos he has tested our our little prototype had by far the best looking partials he has ever seen.

#1960351 - 09/17/12 06:48 PM Re: New Engineering concepts on Piano Sound production [Re: Robert Di Santo]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Oh well. What do you think guys - six months to market? A year?

With that attitude I'm sure it won't take long...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (36251, adanepst, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1700 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249343 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission