2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This morning I played Chopin's Op.30 No.2 and suddenly felt sooo sad.... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
This morning I played Chopin's Op.30 No.2 and suddenly felt sooo sad.... frown

why?

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Many pieces do this for me. Some of the late Beethoven quartets, for example.

Relatedly, there are pieces that don't necessarily bring tears to your eyes, but make you realize you have experienced something that leaves you in awe. There are lots of pieces in this category, too. I think of Stockhausen's Gruppen, Tenney's Forms I-IV, and probably the Turangalila Symphony (though I've heard it only once).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I was already in the mood for sadness...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Sometimes when I play Bach BWV 849 I get a little of the tearing up feeling...not always though. Still working on getting it to come through every time.

Last edited by trigalg693; 09/18/12 03:19 AM.
R
R
Interesting topic - these are some pieces where I have actually physically produced tears, excepting the first choice.

By the end of Chinary Ung's "Spirals 1" for Piano, Cello, and Percussion, I am emotionally drained, though not teary.

David Lang's "The Little Match Girl Passion" is devastating.

I'm not sure why, but listening to all of Rzewski's "Coming Together" can sometimes make me tear up by the end, at least on Eighth Blackbird's recording of it.

"I Will Come Back" from Louciana Souza's "Neruda" album.

"Joy Spring" from Bill Carrother's "After Hours, Vol. 4" is so understated and piercing, that it can really mess me up if I'm in the right place.

Also, this recent recent youtube release from Nancy Zeltsman, purely because of the Borges text she adds at the end. It's extremely sentimental/nostalgic and really got me the first time I heard it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5J8o_jsJA

-Alexv
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Nothing does it every time, it depends a lot on my mood.
The last few minutes of Lynn Harrell's recording of the Dvorak cello concerto is quite likely to do the trick.
Also Perlman's recording of the Shostakovich 1st violin concerto slow movement.
The emotion in these pieces is one of nostalgic regret, to my ears anyway.
Then there are pieces that can make me cry through sheer ecstatic joy.
Typical of these is Kempe's recording of the sunrise from the Alpine Symphony.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Christmas music... But not because I find it emotionally intense. I just cannot stand it... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Christmas music... But not because I find it emotionally intense. I just cannot stand it... frown

Including -but not confined to- the Hodie of Vaughan Williams, the Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio, and the services from King's College?

That seems a shame. (Notice I didn't mention that ubiquitous thing of Handel, I'm rather tired of it. wink )

But if you're referring to all the 'pop' Christmas songs, well, you have a defensible point. And yet... 'Winter Wonderland', 'The Christmas Song' (too many others that I'm not in current mode to recall), I do love them and always play to great acclaim at holiday parties. But 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' is rather past bearing.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, I was referring to the Christmas music in shops and supermarkets... It makes me feel like walking out. And they start sooo early here. They were already playing some of that music in a shop today... I mean, please, we have more than 3 months to go! frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
They were already playing some of that music in a shop today...

You ARE kidding?

That's just plain insanity. Can't we at least get through Halloween?

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, really. I was surprised myself, although they do start very early here. And many also celebrate Christmas in July... In other words, it is always Christmas here!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
In other words, it is always Christmas here!

Land of never ending [Christmas] music I suppose?

blush

Jason
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
ChopinAddict, you just reminded me that we're about to be bombarded with pop versions of O Holy Night from anytime now until 25th Dec. aaaaaaaaughhh!!!!!!!!! One of the down sides to summer.
How can we have the first shopping centre O Holy Night when we haven't even had The First Blowfly yet (not at my place, anyway), or The First Cicada, or even the first media reference to the country being a "tinder box"...

Anyway, another piece that I forgot to mention is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Partly the subject matter, I suppose, but the ending of the last song ...

Du holde Kunst...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've teared up to the slow movement of Beethoven's late A minor quartet.

And the last movement of Mahler's 3rd.

And the Brahms op.118/2.

Those were all a long time ago. The only things that have recently caused a tear (or, really, a tear-like pang) are the resolution of Mozart's Figaro (just like Mr. Sachs), and Strauss's Four Last Songs.

-J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
ChopinAddict, you just reminded me that we're about to be bombarded with pop versions of O Holy Night from anytime now until 25th Dec. aaaaaaaaughhh!!!!!!!!! One of the down sides to summer.
How can we have the first shopping centre O Holy Night when we haven't even had The First Blowfly yet (not at my place, anyway), or The First Cicada, or even the first media reference to the country being a "tinder box"...

Anyway, another piece that I forgot to mention is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Partly the subject matter, I suppose, but the ending of the last song ...
Kindertotenlieder was the last Mahler work I came to love, partly because of the excruciating tempi of the Hampson/Bernstein recording. And yes, its conclusion is breathtaking (especially the effective and original celesta/string doublings). Do you feel strongly about whether a male or female sings it? I'm more used to males, but listening to the von Otter/Boulez recording is very refreshing. This of course brings to mind the baritone option of Das Lied, Bonney's recording of Dichterliebe, female performances/recordings of Winterreise and Vier ernste Gesänge, and the fact that Julius Stockhausen (a good friend of Brahms) performed Frauenliebe regularly.

A few years ago I read of a country where Christmas decor and music are unleashed by September 1. I forgot which country (thank Osiris), but I'm pretty sure it isn't Australia. In any case the practice doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible one.

Oh, and Festivus for the rest of us! Or Saturnalia (whose hijacking by early Christians helped create the Godzilla we're all too familiar with).

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Janus K. Sachs
Do you feel strongly about whether a male or female sings it? I'm more used to males, but listening to the von Otter/Boulez recording is very refreshing.
I first came to it via the Janet Baker recording. I don't feel super strongly either way, and at least one of the songs is definitely the father's perspective. Fischer-Dieskau is, as usual, just about perfect.
This of course brings to mind the baritone option of Das Lied,
There I'm more strongly biased to a kathleen Ferrier or Christa Ludwig.
Bonney's recording of Dichterliebe, female performances/recordings of Winterreise and Vier ernste Gesänge, and the fact that Julius Stockhausen (a good friend of Brahms) performed Frauenliebe regularly.
A male singing Frauenliebe seems a bit odd, but I could handle all the others, even if not my first preference. Carey has a recording up in the members' recordings section of him playing Berg's Seven Early Songs with a tenor. First time I'd ever heard them done by a male singer. I think it works, but I still prefer the female voice there.

Du holde Kunst...
J
J
How about Chopin Prelude in E maj, the Liszt transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria, or the 2nd mov of the Rach 3?

Originally Posted by jdott
How about Chopin Prelude in E maj, the Liszt transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria, or the 2nd mov of the Rach 3?

Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria is beautiful but I actually prefer Liszt's own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gV2qtb71w

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Oddly enough, the last time was hearing Prokofiev's Violin Sonata no.1 performed by a certain Pogorelich. and her friend...

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission