2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I was interested in learning something about playing the blues, and in my search for a good book I found this one on Amazon. The reviews were excellent. Then I came here to PW and did a search to see if anyone was using it. I found several threads recommending it, and one in the Pianist Non-classical forum started by folks who were using it. That thread has more or less died out, but there was great enthusiasm for the book.

Then I listened to a series of contributions in the Piano Bar by an ABFer: Weiyan. I listened to his contributions from May to August and his progress was very clear - I was both inspired and convinced!

So... I ordered the book, and it arrived this past Saturday and I plunged into it with gusto!

I had already learned how to do the 12 bar walking bass, but in the very first lesson I learned a MUCH easier (and smoother) fingering for the pattern. What a great way to get started.

I've found that the theory is very clearly presented, easy to understand. There are assignments, suggestions on how to vary the exercises and encouragement to ad lib.

I also like the fact that Mr. Richards encourages you to clap out the beat. Normally I'm very good with managing beats and rhythms, but with the blues the rhythym can be syncopated and I do find it a bit harder.
He also encourages you to sing the notes outloud.

Now... I've really resisted the idea of solfegge when my teacher suggested it, but working with such different material.....I caved in and gave it a try. I was quite surprised at how much it helped.

One thing I found really interesting was singing the first five notes of 3 different scales. For the first time I consciously "heard" the half tones. I've known the pattern of tone tone semitone etc since grade nine, and I can figure it out at the keyboard or sounding out things by ear... but this was the first time I consciously heard and felt the half-tone as I was singing. It was an odd sort of "ah ha!" moment.

I think my biggest challenge (for starters) is going to be maintaining the left hand patterns while trying to play the right hand. I don't really think I'll be ready to do any serious improvising for a while, but I've already been delighted at seeing how certain sounds are easily achieved and I feel that this book is going to take me a long way.

All to say.....is anyone else using this book?
Do you care to chip in with advice, show off your progress as we work through the chapters? Offer encouragement in moments of frustration? Get crazy with enthusiasm with successes?

I really hope that some ABFers will join in and have fun with this book!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
D
Thanks for the recommendation -- just yesterday I was at Amazon looking for something -- this book is now on my Wish List.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DinaP,

Hope your dream come true.

Before playing piano, I play classical guitar. Had learned blues but never success. Blues seems very simple. Had a standard format, just improvise. So reading books to learn improvisation theory. Finally I found the theory is useless until your finger is within your control.

What differentiated Tim's from from the rest is it has a system to develop your finger skill and blues sense.
There are a lot of progressive etudes for daily practice. My finger skill and music sense improving day by day.

I hope more blues enthusiasts join together. Share what you learned and encourage each other.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Do you care to chip in with advice, show off your progress as we work through the chapters? Offer encouragement in moments of frustration? Get crazy with enthusiasm with successes?

Cas, glad you have found this!

I suggest in addition that you listen to a lot of Blues. Lots of it!

Traditionally, Blues music has been learned / handed down by listening rather than thru notation, and listening is very helpful to ingraining the rhythms, and the leads (solos) that one plays. (Not that there is anything wrong with using Notation/books also)

A short list of good Blues pianists include: Otis Spann, Memphis Slim, Charles Brown, early Ray Charles, Maceo Merriweather.

Here are 2 links to Otis Spann playing with the Muddy Waters Blues Band (another suggestion to listen to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G9DIFFwByk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a29PEkEUD_4

ps...also check out the hot link in my signature line to a Blues shuffle I did. Lots of piano in it.

Best Wishes!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Dina.... what great timing - I hope you get your book quickly!

Weiyan you're right - the TR book gives you a system for making sense of the blues. Already I am delighted to have discovered how certain specific sounds are achieved! It is really exciting.

Rocket88 thanks for the links, I'll check them out. We've got a fair amount of blues music in our CD collection - and I LOVE Memphis Slim!

I am listening to the link in your siggy as I type ...wow!!!! That is great! You're really rockin'!
I think to play music like this, one of the first things you've got to be able to do is to get your left hand going on autopilot ...which is going to be a challenge for me!

Just loved that piece ! (My husband just walked in the room and said, "That's sounds neat, what is it?" ...He's impressed too.

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks! The tune is off my CD.

You are absolutely correct . . . LH Rhythmic independence is super important to playing this music. Unfortunately, it is one of the greater challenges.

Also, there is disagreement about working with a metronome, and that is a valid discussion regarding Classical music.

However, with Blues, a rock-steady rhythm is essential. I suggest using a metronome/drum machine and practicing LH rhythms daily. It will come, but takes time.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Rocket88, that's great! Makes me want to put Bach & Co. away for good wink

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement Rocket88 !

I practice daily anyway, so ...I'm used to that at least smile

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You folks are very kind. Thank you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rocket88,

Thank you for your advice. Had listened your playing, it sounds great.

O
O
Was about to buy, but I only buy kindle books now, using the kindle app on my PC monitor to display scores etc.

Hopefully one day it will make it to a kindle version, then I'm buying.

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Do kindle versions of sheet music books also come with MP3s instead of audio CDs, or is the kindle user just out of luck when it comes to the recordings that come with the paper books?

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Do kindle versions of sheet music books also come with MP3s instead of audio CDs, or is the kindle user just out of luck when it comes to the recordings that come with the paper books?

I think that's a question deserving of its own thread. Not everyone will be interested in this blues thread so I think not a lot of folks will see your question.

I'm curious too - but in an academic way. I can't imagine using the computer for reading music at the piano.

[Linked Image]

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Why use Kindle? I use an iPad for sheet music. It is a lot easier to flip pages! I have apps that have my bands set list that allows me to bring up sheet music and lyric sheets for every song. There are teaching apps galore available for it. It fits right on a music stand and is readable in on a dark stage.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 09/20/12 04:26 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
O
O
Doesn't have to be in kindle format as long as the books available for ereader sw that works on my pc (or PDF). Just that when I'm searching for a book, amazon is the place I mainly try and chances are if it hasn't made it from paperback to kindle format, it hasn't made it to any other ereader format either.

Not by my music setup at the moment, tomorrow will post a pic and you will understand why for me and my home setup, reading the score on the pc is the only viable option.

I do have an iPad and I also have the kindle app for it smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
TR's latest book Exploring Latin Piano has no Kindle version, there is no lucky with Blues book.

Kindle is not a suitable E-Book format for music, as most comments said. The music notation is a scanned image.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds

They don't (actually the basic Kindle reader doesn't even have sound), but with an iPad (or some other tablet, including the Kindle Fire I guess) you can look for recordings on YouTube without even moving away from the piano - plus you can google music theory stuff etc.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am currently re-work on Blue Berry Hill. Use a metronome as suggested by Rocket88. Will post a record next week.

O
O
Originally Posted by Weiyan
TR's latest book Exploring Latin Piano has no Kindle version, there is no lucky with Blues book.

Kindle is not a suitable E-Book format for music, as most comments said. The music notation is a scanned image.

Originally Posted by sinophilia

but with an iPad (or some other tablet, including the Kindle Fire I guess) you can look for recordings on YouTube without even moving away from the piano - plus you can google music theory stuff etc.

I think I might be being misunderstood. I'm not saying I have a kindle (my wife does though), I'm saying I use the kindle player for my purchased ebooks on both my ipad and my PC.

I also view PDF scores on them too.

Just like on the ipad, I can instantly google youtube etc on my PC without moving away from the piano.

Some sheet music may well be badly scanned, all the music books I've brought on Amazons Kindle store have been first class crystal clear quality except one, that's very very very slightly out of focus (many people wouldn't even notice), but on a large 24" monitor, it's still very very easy to read.

Many people own 88 key weighted keyboards of one description or another that use them in a computer orientated environment with a PC/mac based DAW. For a lot of them, Ebooks are the way forwards.

I have the ipad3 yes it's crystal clear, it's also 10" compared to my high end 24" monitor. So if I did use it to read my music on, I would be staring at a tiny screen in comparison to my PC screen.

If you look at the pic of my set-up, you can see I have an 88 note Korg Triton Extreme with a Korg M3M above it and my 24" monitor above that. There's no point mounting my ipad to the left when I get a bigger area right in front of my eyes.

[Linked Image]

This pic shows one of the pages from one of Alfreds books displayed on my main PC monitor, as you can see, perfectly clear.

[Linked Image]

My right hand monitor rotates and should I ever need to, as you can see form this pic, I can use that in portrait mode should I so wish.

[Linked Image]

My eyesight isn't all that good, I would have to have the ipad mounted 6" away from my eyes to make reading the score comfortable on that sized screen.

I fully understand that on-stage etc an Ipad would be brilliant, I'm just saying that for my music use, it's ebooks all the way on my PC.

If a publisher doesn't release some form of electronic version for a book I want, they loose out on a sale.

As a family we read many books a month, two years ago we were buying 4+ books a month in paper format, in the last year we haven't brought a single one and have no intention of cluttering up shelf space by doing so now. My wife has many friends who also read and have kindles, they no longer buy paper books either.

So if any publisher decides not to release an electronic version of their book, chances are, they will be loosing out on many many more sales than just mine.

Apologies for the off topic comment.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Nice setup!

What I meant is just that Kindle books don't have links or embedded mp3 inside them. So the device you use to read them doesn't really matter. Some iPad apps are interactive books with sounds and videos inside them and somebody might well devise a way to make a score and the actual music available together.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission