2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mozza Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I've been playing piano/keyboard for two years now more or less. I've played mostly in a rock context, but I did take a couple private piano lessons and did learn some classical keyboard stuff as part of my music theory class. I'm very good at musical theory and reading music. I'm also pretty good at playing piano; I can learn songs very quickly through youtube videos, or rock band, or people showing me what to play. Except, when I read music and then need to play those notes on a keyboard and remember what my hands did it becomes incredibly hard for me. Rock songs are slightly more repetitious than the average classical piece I imagine, but I don't understand why I have so much trouble. I also don't know how to fix it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you saying that classical music is what's hard for you or that playing on an acoustic piano is what's difficult? If it's the latter, than you may just need more time to adjust to the touch of an acoustic piano.

P
P
It sounds to me as though it is sight-reading that is difficult, as a skill?

And when you say very good at theory, what level of theory are you talking about? College theory of harmony and counterpoint, or the fundamentals?

What is the 'some classical stuff' you've learned in the past? There is also a difference at 'pretty good at playing piano'; while I'm sure you are a fine player, there are many different factors and levels.

Mozza Offline OP
OP Offline
@pianoloverus: it's a classical music so to speak. Anything requiring me reading sheet music and playing it on keyboard is annoyingly hard, but playing keyboard songs that I learn any other way are fine.

@Para Otras: sight-reading I cant do at all either, I worked on it in a private piano lesson once but I definitely didn't do well xD. And college, the highest I got was modulations and secondary dominances; I can write for four part harmony and counterpoint.

Um stuff like When the Saints Go Marching In, Greensleeves, and then the proper fingering for scales and such. As for pretty good, sorry, I meant I can technically play at a competent enough level to handle simple pieces of chunking out half note chords and I can memorize full pieces if they're rock songs I learned without reading the sheet music/

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
What ability do you desire, piano/keyboard-wise?

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum! You just need to practice more. What is different about playing classical vs. band stuff is you're playing some genius' ideas, always way above what you're used to playing in a band. Then it has to be the same, and correct. Just work on it slow and steady. You'll be fine. There are lots of 'practice' threads with good advice on the forum. You will find that the more you practice classical, the better your keyboard playing will become. It pays off.

Last edited by daviel; 09/18/12 10:56 AM.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
Mozza Offline OP
OP Offline
@woodog: Well im fine playing keyboard and not being able to sight-read or memorize pieces from sheet music, but if I minor in music in college I'll need to take two semesters of piano centered around that.

@daviel: thanks, I'll look at some of those practice threads, hopefully they'll help. I guess I'm just used to a much quicker payout for practicing slowly for other instruments, other piano things, and music than im seeing here.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission