Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1962176 - 09/21/12 04:27 PM speed of key lift and damper drop, tone
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
On another forum it was mentioned that speed of key lift affected playing and too fast could cause abrupt damping and choppy sound.

I don't know enough about how a damper works mechanically. This question is new to me but I've been through a bunch of flame wars over how key press supposedly affects tone, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Doesn't a damper trip and fall at some gravity determined rate? or is it coupled to key position, and fully controlled?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1962210 - 09/21/12 05:32 PM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TimR]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
The dampers in any piano are controlled in two or three ways. Depends on the pedal functions...whether you have a sostenuto, bass lifter, or muffler rail for the center pedal.

The basics--

1. Key travel; On grand or upright the damper is lifted from the string by how far the key has traveled. Usually at about 1/2-stroke the damper starts to lift from the string.

Grands; Damper underlever is weighted and lifted by the key-end felt...like a seesaw lifting a weight at one end. Most grands want the key to travel 1/2-way before the damper underlever is engaged by the key-end.

Upright; Damper is pushed by a strong spring to keep it in contact with the string (to do it's job!) and lifted by a spoon sticking out of the whippen and pushing on the damper-lever. As the key goes down, the spoon rotates out and contacts the damper lever at about 1/2-stroke, and then the damper leaves the string.

Both grands and uprights also control the damper return with the key. In other words; the damper won't get back to the string until you release or raise the key high enough to get the damper back on the string. They don't 'trip and fall'.

2. Pedal; Both upright and grand can also lift the dampers off the strings with the damper pedal. All dampers, all at once. You might release the pedal very quickly and get a 'bang!' from a grand or upright as they all move at maximum speed...but that would be very poor technique. No trip, no fall..just your foot and technique.

3. The Trip and Fall does exist!
The sostenuto pedal, which can be found on both uprights and grands, can hold selected notes open for you (...the pianist's third-hand) and when it is released there is more of a 'drop' as the damper-tab slides off the blade holding the note, but that would be the only 'trip and fall' on releasing a damper in normal play. Only the sostenuto could be called 'trip and fall' for damper release. Not the keys, ok?

You can search a couple sites easily enough to see how the piano's action works. Lots of moving parts in there!

Hope that helps,
I am,

#1962295 - 09/21/12 09:14 PM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TunerJeff]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks.

I've looked at a couple of those before but didn't really get it until this time. Lots of parts.

I see the key only partly controls the damper. It is not linked, but just presses. So if the key lifts very slowly, the damper stays in contact with the mechanism until about string contact at half way, but if the key lifts very quickly, the damper returns at its natural speed moved by either gravity or spring force. If the key can actually lift that fast. You can't actually lift a key, they don't have loops for your finger; all you can do is release it and let it fly up. They must come up like a seesaw, by the weight of the parts past the pivot.

#1962443 - 09/22/12 07:54 AM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TimR]
Dave B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
When viewing the mechanics of the action, keep in mind that every part is moving in an arc relative to a center point. The typical underlever has two center points of circular mechanics. How these two arcs relate mechanically to the arc of the key end; plus the flex of the parts, especially the key and damper wire, at different speeds; plus the friction at the center points and contact points, again at different speeds; all combine to work within a variable that hopefully an experienced pianist can adjust to while playing.

#1962481 - 09/22/12 09:48 AM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TimR]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Originally Posted By: TimR
....but I've been through a bunch of flame wars over how key press supposedly affects tone.

Only one thing related to "key press" affects tone...the speed at which that hammer is moving just before it hits the strings....everything else claimed, is purely bunk.

If anyone disagrees with you on this, send them to this article... "The Piano Voodoo of Tone Production"

http://blog.twedt.com/archives/222

#1962629 - 09/22/12 03:17 PM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TimR]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
But Emmery, are your playing piano, in the end ? is not it a percussive instrument ? or not ?

One basic things that pianists are doing to modify tone is allow more or less key thump noise with a more or less dampened key (finger touch the key or no) , with more or less synchronization between the key thump and the tone attack.

And more or less early opening of the resonant structure with the use of sustain pedal)

I will certainly not pretend that moving/vibrating the key after tone production is doing anything to tone, for instance, but just before the key bottoms there are yet a good range of possibles that influences the tone, hopefully.

not on the modern cheap grand where those possibilities are limited

That is how I understand it anyway.

Should be interesting to record only the thump noises produced by a pianist on a concert grand, without any tone if it was possible.

Edited by Kamin (09/22/12 03:19 PM)

#1962671 - 09/22/12 04:43 PM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: TimR]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
On another forum it was mentioned that speed of key lift affected playing and too fast could cause abrupt damping and choppy sound.

I don't know enough about how a damper works mechanically. This question is new to me but I've been through a bunch of flame wars over how key press supposedly affects tone, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Doesn't a damper trip and fall at some gravity determined rate? or is it coupled to key position, and fully controlled?

What I was told that on actions where the hammers are at 90° on the shank, and where the shank is strictly parallel to the keybed when the hammer hit the strings, (most classical setup here have some "overblow", shank rise above the horizontal a little) playing strong can make the hammer block on the string.
The letoff regulation also is to be done at 2 mm and not more near the strings (as it can be done when the hammer is a little open on the shank and (possibly) the shank flex allow then for a strong FFF without blocking.

The sensation when playing too strong is that of an "electrical shock" under the finger.

I see the role of the shank flex there, a security, some damping of unwanted noises...

°

Edited by Kamin (09/22/12 04:44 PM)

#1963661 - 09/24/12 12:25 PM Re: speed of key lift and damper drop, tone [Re: Emmery]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
....but I've been through a bunch of flame wars over how key press supposedly affects tone.

Only one thing related to "key press" affects tone...the speed at which that hammer is moving just before it hits the strings....everything else claimed, is purely bunk.

If anyone disagrees with you on this, send them to this article... "The Piano Voodoo of Tone Production"

http://blog.twedt.com/archives/222

I have always agreed with this but know I'm in a minority. I'm also a heretic who does not think different brass alloys make a trombone sound different.

But I had not run into this idea of speed of key lift until this last week.

After looking at the animations of key actions, I remain very skeptical there is anything to it. I don't see how you can lift the key fast enough to lose contact with the damper lifter offer thingie, so I don't see any way to get the claimed effect.

By the way, is it REALLY necessary to make the action so complicated? Couldn't we redesign it with about half the parts?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, acortot, 60 invisible), 1609 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153611 Topics
2251362 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission