Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 258 of 275 < 1 2 ... 256 257 258 259 260 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1889751 - 05/02/12 01:27 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Elene
....I'm told that one of our local harpsichordists once said, "I don't play Chopin on the harpsichord, so why should you play Bach on the piano?"....

Nice line, but baloney of course. smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1889800 - 05/02/12 03:49 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Looks like I and several other PW members will be saying hello to Chopin and Warsaw this September!

Contestants in amateur Chopin competition
That's great news Mr. MOCHOROWSKI!!!?!??! That's quite interesting Mark! Nice to know a tiny bit more about you! smile

Best of luck with the contest and I do hope to see you live (BTW, Poland is not far from Greece... Why not come over for a few days? as a hard earned vacation?)

#1889938 - 05/02/12 11:05 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Online   content

Hey Nikolas, welcome to the thread! ha

Yes, that's me -- and it would be great if you could come.

#1891708 - 05/05/12 01:09 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark_C Online   content

Dr. Kallberg paid a great visit to this thread on Pianist Corner, about the late Mazurka in F minor, Op. 68 #4.

#1893510 - 05/08/12 12:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
I'm sorry to say that although I'd heard Rubinstein's recording of 68/4 numerous times, I'd never paid enough attention to that piece to realize that it had an extra section compared to the editions I had! Now I have the National Edition, so I have the version Rubinstein played. Which has been around since I was 5. Sheesh.

Spending time with "my" harpsichord has got me wondering again whether Chopin ever played Scarlatti, and if so, what he thought of his work. To the best of my knowledge, we have no written record of Chopin giving any opinions about that. There is only a reference in the fake Delfina letters, as far as I know. I have no direct information on this myself, either. Jeff, or anyone?

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1895101 - 05/11/12 12:40 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fairly OT, though there is a link to "Fryderyk Chopin's Poland":
Poland bans Monsanto GMO corn

More intelligence there than in the US at the moment. Go Poland.

Elene

#1896019 - 05/13/12 03:31 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
This week's 'Building a Library' slot on BBC Radio 3 featured Chopin's Mazurkas. For those that don't know it, 'Building a Library' is a weekly feature on Radio 3's 'CD Review' programme in which one of their regular panel of critics, musicians and academics gives a personal survey of the available recordings of a particular work, and recommendations for your library. The great thing about it is that it is available as a podcast, and that the podcasts stay up on the website indefinitely.

This week the quirky but wonderful David Owen Norris surveyed recordings of the Mazurkas. Here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bal

#1896037 - 05/13/12 05:30 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: KeemaNan]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Thank you very much - I'd missed that.

#1896039 - 05/13/12 05:35 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Yeh, thanks.

#1900822 - 05/21/12 04:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A couple of days ago I took a Duncan dance class, that is, based on the work of Isadora Duncan, one of the inventors of modern dance. Most of the music was Chopin, with a little Schubert, Schumann and Mozart thrown in. Isadora particularly used the mazurkas, I'm told, though not with actual mazurka steps. We danced to a mazurka or two and a couple of waltzes, plus 25/1, something it might not have occurred to me to choreograph. The teacher provided filmy tunics to go over our tank tops, so that we looked rather like a collection of animated Greek statues, though perhaps less well-proportioned.

It was SO hard to stand still and listen to what we were supposed to do next while mazurkas and waltzes were playing!

Elene

#1901650 - 05/23/12 03:35 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Mark_C Online   content

In the movie "Loves of Isadora," she dances to Chopin's Waltz in A-flat, Op. 42. It brought the piece to life for me more than ever before -- and I immediately went and started learning it.

P.S. Love the "perhaps less well-proportioned" part!
(Including the exact right placement of the hyphen.) ha

Of course it's not hard to be perhaps-less-well-proportioned than Greek statues, and therefore no crime.

(And I think that's how we do the hyphenation in this slightly-different construction!) grin

#1902971 - 05/25/12 01:28 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I don't know anything about this guy, but I really enjoyed his performance of Chopin's 2nd sonata!!

#1902973 - 05/25/12 01:31 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Orange Soda King]
Mark_C Online   content

Who is he, and how did you happen to come across him?

(BTW, I listened to some of it, and I agree.)

#1902985 - 05/25/12 02:08 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I was just searching for recordings of it on YouTube, and just clicked on it. The username was "ClassicalUploads" so I thought it might be a big name. Turns out that I was wrong, but it's still amazing!

I know nothing about him, except his name is Carlisle Beresford. Here's a short bio on him. http://www.sipc2010.org/competitors.html

#1908917 - 06/05/12 04:25 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So I was practicing 27/1, and my mother came along and said, "That's a pretty piece. Who wrote it?" (*facepalm*) Of course she got it in one guess. "The left hand part is diabolical," I told her. "It doesn't sound very hard," she replied. When I showed her what one actually has to do to play it, she was suitably awed, but isn't it nicer when we can play something that has a zillion notes but isn't actually very demanding, and everyone is so impressed?

Did I tell you I had my first harpsichord lesson in over 30 years last week? It was wonderful. I was afraid the teacher would see me as somehow The Enemy or something since I spend so much time with Romantic-era piano music, but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, most of what she was asking me do to and most of her description of harpsichord technique was amazingly like what my piano teacher has been trying to convey for the past few days. Except for having to get myself to play much more non-legato, I don't have to make much of a brain-shift at all. Everything seems to be working together beautifully. (*sigh of relief*)

Elene

#1911082 - 06/09/12 02:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I just came home from seeing the movie "Prometheus". If you see it, you will be pleased to hear a little Chopin. One of the preludes I think.

#1911185 - 06/09/12 07:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

He's everywhere.

The series finale of House, MD ended with Louis Prima's song "Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)." Which includes the bit of the Funeral March that seems to be known all over the planet.

Elene

#1915214 - 06/18/12 10:22 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I really do like Chopin, but I guess I've never oozed about him publicly, as he is one of many composers I love and consider absolutely great and genius.

But my goodness, I'm listening to Shura Cherkassky play the D Flat Nocturne 27/2, the Barcarolle, and now the 3rd Ballade, and it's SUCH a revelation!!!

#1915642 - 06/19/12 09:46 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore

Edited by Mark... (06/19/12 10:15 PM)

#1918367 - 06/25/12 04:02 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My teacher recommended this article by Jeffrey Chappell:

What Is the Shape of a Phrase?

It used to puzzle me that Chopin would create phrases out of such odd numbers of notes, 13 or 27 or 69.5 or sometimes what seemed like approximately 10,000, against 3 or whatever. Eventually it was made clear to me that each phrase is a shape, rather like a ribbon that bends along the page and through the ear, and those seemingly arbitrary quantities of notes are exactly as many as are needed to fill up the shape.

Here, also, is Chappell's take on a concept we know Chopin was concerned with in teaching:

Total Freedom In Music

Elene

#1918532 - 06/25/12 02:00 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Those were great articles. Thanks for posting!!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1918609 - 06/25/12 06:37 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Who is he, and how did you happen to come across him?

(BTW, I listened to some of it, and I agree.)

Don't you remember him? Or maybe you didn't know what he looks like? ha

Click to reveal..
He was JustAnotherPianist here. It is a real pity he left! frown

Music is my best friend.

#1918720 - 06/26/12 12:48 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Online   content

Yes and no. grin

IMO he was a very mixed bag.
But I realize I speak from a somewhat weak position when I say that. ha

Anyway....among other things, he was giving one of our very fine pianists input/criticism that I felt could have been destructive if it hadn't been countered -- including because he ignored how little time there was before an upcoming performance, and also that he just wasn't giving credit for how excellent the playing was.

#1919060 - 06/26/12 06:00 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Yeah, I remember that thread. frown

I think Angelina might know him, but I might be mistaken. She was the first who knew he had voluntarily gone and they are exactly the same age and from Canada, so they might have met at some contest or masterclass.

Music is my best friend.

#1925515 - 07/11/12 05:22 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Yes, He is everywhere. I ran across this odd little snippet in a detective story. A pianist in the story made some reference to Liszt as once having introduced Chopin as being from another planet. Anyone recognize that reference? (Something from Liszt's Life of Chopin perhaps?)

#1925636 - 07/11/12 11:58 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Liszt saying that Chopin seemed to be from another planet* rings a bell, but I can't think where we might have seen that.

While cleaning some old files out of my netbook, I came across this link to a biography of Zygmunt Krasinski at Google Books:

Krasinski bio

I had found it a couple of years ago while looking for more information about Delfina Potocka. It's written in a histrionic, Romantic tone that compares to, say, Berlioz' letters. Glad we don't write like that anymore.

Elene

*trying to imagine what that planet might be like

#1930778 - 07/22/12 03:49 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
The author posted a link to this on the Piano Forum. It's worth at least skimming. I found it interesting and thought it deserved a wider audience. The Sound of Chopin's Pianos

#1939886 - 08/09/12 02:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark_C Online   content

Hope you don't mind my linking here to my video in the Cliburn amateur video contest:

It has Chopin's E minor Waltz and Horowitz's little-known "Danse Excentrique." The Horowitz is getting more attention, but the Chopin is better played. smile

#1940137 - 08/10/12 01:37 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Love the Waltz in E minor!!!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1940233 - 08/10/12 09:32 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Hey, Mark, those were both really nice.

Page 258 of 275 < 1 2 ... 256 257 258 259 260 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1627 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156291 Topics
2295358 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
07/30/14 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
07/30/14 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
07/30/14 04:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission