Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1962324 - 09/21/12 11:04 PM V chord to IV chord - how common is it?
dlee1001 Offline

On this page, you will find a piece that I wrote. It's an etude that focuses on bringing out the melody and playing musically. I would have to categorize it as classical. Please also read the material under "About this score" for more information about this piece.

But on measures 5, 13, 21, and 29, immediately after the half cadence (V chord) on each previous measure, I made the chord progression go back to IV. Looking at the big picture, the chord progression of the piece as a whole can be summarized as:

I-IV-V-I-IV-(V7/V)-V-IV-(V864-V753; cadential 6/4), I, V7, I, (V864-V753), I. (repeat three more times, with variations).

So my question is, how common is it in classical music (Common Practice Period) to have a IV chord right after a V?

Disclaimer: I only write music for the fun of it, and also to apply what I learn in my college music theory classes. Please do not leave harsh, non-constructive criticism. Thank you. smile

Edited by dlee1001 (09/21/12 11:30 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1962933 - 09/23/12 01:01 AM Re: V chord to IV chord - how common is it? [Re: dlee1001]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: dlee1001
Disclaimer: I only write music for the fun of it, and also to apply what I learn in my college music theory classes. Please do not leave harsh, non-constructive criticism. Thank you. smile
Ok.

You should actually find a nice place to crawl, because as a composer you suck bigtime and you should NEVER EVER compose again. When I listened to your piece 3 cats and 5 fairies died next door! Ok?!?!

grin grin grin grin

OF COURSE I'M KIDDING!

And while you may get some harsh comments from a few people, I don't think that the overall tendency is too bad here in PW. As opposed to say... youtube (which is filled with nastiness).

On your work and question now.

The mechanical recording is doing little good, but I think that this actually is a lovely piece. And while I like to promote contemporary music and more pushy material, in this instance and the timid way you presented it offered me some peace of mind! So thanks.

On your question.

The V - IV ( - V) is actually quite common in common practice (pun intended). One could even argue that there are works where it goes V - IV and then I (the IV is treated like some kind of an appogiatura chord).

So as far as common practic is concerned as long as you resolve the IV to a V, or a I6/4 you should be 'fine'.

As far as the aesthetics of this work are concerned, I think you are most fine. In fact I'd recommend that you make a PDF out of this little etude and post it in the teachers forum. I think the people there would appreciate it (since most don't even look down here...).

Welcome and thanks for posting and sharing!

#1963555 - 09/24/12 07:34 AM Re: V chord to IV chord - how common is it? [Re: dlee1001]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
There's no problem at all with going to IV after V. There are some other issues though.

In block chord style, we don't have to worry anout parallel 5ths so much as if we were writing 4-part vocal harmony. But you are very fond of using similar motion between melody and bass. It sounds "plonky". There are other chords than I, IV, V, there are other voicings than root position! For instance, in bar 1 the roots of both the Db and Eb chords appear in both melody and bass, and move at the same time! Parallel EVERYTHINGS!

In bar 4, that Db strongly suggests a. Eb7 chord, but it doesn't follow through. If you want a change of colour on the second beat of that bar, you could step the G down as well.

I'd suggest that, as you want constant legato pedalling, you de-clutter the score by throwing out ALL the ped. markings. A simple "con ped." at the beginning will suffice.

But no fairies died, and my cat is content :-) Keep at it!

#1967369 - 10/01/12 03:43 PM Re: V chord to IV chord - how common is it? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
dlee1001 Offline

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
There's no problem at all with going to IV after V. There are some other issues though.

In block chord style, we don't have to worry anout parallel 5ths so much as if we were writing 4-part vocal harmony. But you are very fond of using similar motion between melody and bass. It sounds "plonky". There are other chords than I, IV, V, there are other voicings than root position! For instance, in bar 1 the roots of both the Db and Eb chords appear in both melody and bass, and move at the same time! Parallel EVERYTHINGS!

In bar 4, that Db strongly suggests a. Eb7 chord, but it doesn't follow through. If you want a change of colour on the second beat of that bar, you could step the G down as well.

I'd suggest that, as you want constant legato pedalling, you de-clutter the score by throwing out ALL the ped. markings. A simple "con ped." at the beginning will suffice.

But no fairies died, and my cat is content :-) Keep at it!

Sorry for my lack of replies; I didn't get any e-mail notifications, so I thought no one replied to the post. I fixed that problem. smile

Anyway, 18th century voice leading rules do not apply in piano compositions, though I do my best to avoid open fifths, because they sound terrible. But where I did omit the third of the chord (on some of the V chords), I at least put a seventh on each of those instances to give them that dominant feel.

The reason why I included the pedal markings is because there are some people who put the pedal to the metal and make the piece sound too muddy. I'm one of those people who needs to be specific about everything when it comes to someone performing my compositions (which, BTW, I really want someone to do), because I'm afraid that there'll be people who won't use the pedal at all due to the score not having any pedal markings, or that they'll pedal at all the wrong places.

Edited by dlee1001 (10/01/12 04:10 PM)

#1967385 - 10/01/12 04:12 PM Re: V chord to IV chord - how common is it? [Re: Nikolas]
dlee1001 Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Originally Posted By: dlee1001
Ok.

You should actually find a nice place to crawl, because as a composer you suck bigtime and you should NEVER EVER compose again. When I listened to your piece 3 cats and 5 fairies died next door! Ok?!?!

grin grin grin grin

OF COURSE I'M KIDDING!

And while you may get some harsh comments from a few people, I don't think that the overall tendency is too bad here in PW. As opposed to say... youtube (which is filled with nastiness).

On your work and question now.

The mechanical recording is doing little good, but I think that this actually is a lovely piece. And while I like to promote contemporary music and more pushy material, in this instance and the timid way you presented it offered me some peace of mind! So thanks.

On your question.

The V - IV ( - V) is actually quite common in common practice (pun intended). One could even argue that there are works where it goes V - IV and then I (the IV is treated like some kind of an appogiatura chord).

So as far as common practic is concerned as long as you resolve the IV to a V, or a I6/4 you should be 'fine'.

As far as the aesthetics of this work are concerned, I think you are most fine. In fact I'd recommend that you make a PDF out of this little etude and post it in the teachers forum. I think the people there would appreciate it (since most don't even look down here...).

Welcome and thanks for posting and sharing!

Thank you for the information. But that website where I can post a PDF, what is the address to it?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (ABC Vermonter, accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, ajames, 42 invisible), 1792 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156289 Topics
2295306 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
07/30/14 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
07/30/14 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
07/30/14 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebber
by pianoloverus
07/30/14 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission