2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
On this page, you will find a piece that I wrote. It's an etude that focuses on bringing out the melody and playing musically. I would have to categorize it as classical. Please also read the material under "About this score" for more information about this piece.

But on measures 5, 13, 21, and 29, immediately after the half cadence (V chord) on each previous measure, I made the chord progression go back to IV. Looking at the big picture, the chord progression of the piece as a whole can be summarized as:

I-IV-V-I-IV-(V7/V)-V-IV-(V864-V753; cadential 6/4), I, V7, I, (V864-V753), I. (repeat three more times, with variations).

So my question is, how common is it in classical music (Common Practice Period) to have a IV chord right after a V?

Disclaimer: I only write music for the fun of it, and also to apply what I learn in my college music theory classes. Please do not leave harsh, non-constructive criticism. Thank you. smile

Last edited by dlee1001; 09/21/12 11:30 PM.

Kawai KG-3C (primary)
Casio PX-120

https://youtube.com/user/1001dlee
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dlee1001
Disclaimer: I only write music for the fun of it, and also to apply what I learn in my college music theory classes. Please do not leave harsh, non-constructive criticism. Thank you. smile
Ok.

You should actually find a nice place to crawl, because as a composer you suck bigtime and you should NEVER EVER compose again. When I listened to your piece 3 cats and 5 fairies died next door! Ok?!?!

grin grin grin grin

OF COURSE I'M KIDDING!

And while you may get some harsh comments from a few people, I don't think that the overall tendency is too bad here in PW. As opposed to say... youtube (which is filled with nastiness).

On your work and question now.

The mechanical recording is doing little good, but I think that this actually is a lovely piece. And while I like to promote contemporary music and more pushy material, in this instance and the timid way you presented it offered me some peace of mind! So thanks.

On your question.

The V - IV ( - V) is actually quite common in common practice (pun intended). One could even argue that there are works where it goes V - IV and then I (the IV is treated like some kind of an appogiatura chord).

So as far as common practic is concerned as long as you resolve the IV to a V, or a I6/4 you should be 'fine'.

As far as the aesthetics of this work are concerned, I think you are most fine. In fact I'd recommend that you make a PDF out of this little etude and post it in the teachers forum. I think the people there would appreciate it (since most don't even look down here...).

Welcome and thanks for posting and sharing!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There's no problem at all with going to IV after V. There are some other issues though.

In block chord style, we don't have to worry anout parallel 5ths so much as if we were writing 4-part vocal harmony. But you are very fond of using similar motion between melody and bass. It sounds "plonky". There are other chords than I, IV, V, there are other voicings than root position! For instance, in bar 1 the roots of both the Db and Eb chords appear in both melody and bass, and move at the same time! Parallel EVERYTHINGS!

In bar 4, that Db strongly suggests a. Eb7 chord, but it doesn't follow through. If you want a change of colour on the second beat of that bar, you could step the G down as well.

I'd suggest that, as you want constant legato pedalling, you de-clutter the score by throwing out ALL the ped. markings. A simple "con ped." at the beginning will suffice.

But no fairies died, and my cat is content :-) Keep at it!

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
There's no problem at all with going to IV after V. There are some other issues though.

In block chord style, we don't have to worry anout parallel 5ths so much as if we were writing 4-part vocal harmony. But you are very fond of using similar motion between melody and bass. It sounds "plonky". There are other chords than I, IV, V, there are other voicings than root position! For instance, in bar 1 the roots of both the Db and Eb chords appear in both melody and bass, and move at the same time! Parallel EVERYTHINGS!

In bar 4, that Db strongly suggests a. Eb7 chord, but it doesn't follow through. If you want a change of colour on the second beat of that bar, you could step the G down as well.

I'd suggest that, as you want constant legato pedalling, you de-clutter the score by throwing out ALL the ped. markings. A simple "con ped." at the beginning will suffice.

But no fairies died, and my cat is content :-) Keep at it!

Sorry for my lack of replies; I didn't get any e-mail notifications, so I thought no one replied to the post. I fixed that problem. smile

Anyway, 18th century voice leading rules do not apply in piano compositions, though I do my best to avoid open fifths, because they sound terrible. But where I did omit the third of the chord (on some of the V chords), I at least put a seventh on each of those instances to give them that dominant feel.

The reason why I included the pedal markings is because there are some people who put the pedal to the metal and make the piece sound too muddy. I'm one of those people who needs to be specific about everything when it comes to someone performing my compositions (which, BTW, I really want someone to do), because I'm afraid that there'll be people who won't use the pedal at all due to the score not having any pedal markings, or that they'll pedal at all the wrong places.

Last edited by dlee1001; 10/01/12 04:10 PM.

Kawai KG-3C (primary)
Casio PX-120

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by dlee1001
Ok.

You should actually find a nice place to crawl, because as a composer you suck bigtime and you should NEVER EVER compose again. When I listened to your piece 3 cats and 5 fairies died next door! Ok?!?!

grin grin grin grin

OF COURSE I'M KIDDING!

And while you may get some harsh comments from a few people, I don't think that the overall tendency is too bad here in PW. As opposed to say... youtube (which is filled with nastiness).

On your work and question now.

The mechanical recording is doing little good, but I think that this actually is a lovely piece. And while I like to promote contemporary music and more pushy material, in this instance and the timid way you presented it offered me some peace of mind! So thanks.

On your question.

The V - IV ( - V) is actually quite common in common practice (pun intended). One could even argue that there are works where it goes V - IV and then I (the IV is treated like some kind of an appogiatura chord).

So as far as common practic is concerned as long as you resolve the IV to a V, or a I6/4 you should be 'fine'.

As far as the aesthetics of this work are concerned, I think you are most fine. In fact I'd recommend that you make a PDF out of this little etude and post it in the teachers forum. I think the people there would appreciate it (since most don't even look down here...).

Welcome and thanks for posting and sharing!

Thank you for the information. But that website where I can post a PDF, what is the address to it?

Kawai KG-3C (primary)
Casio PX-120

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission