2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's possible to rent pianos. You don't need to purchase right away.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti
Remember the scene from the movie THE PIANO, where Harvey Keitel says, "I want to learn by watching . . ."?

If you seriously think that'll work, please go find yourself a super strict piano teacher who scolds and berates her students ruthlessly. Better yet, go study piano in some foreign country where teachers can go beyond yelling.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That "Watching" technique is not working for me, but I assumed that was solely because I am neither talented nor musical. Plus, I do not pay attention well.

mbellephan,

In addition to MinnieMay's advice about rentals, it is a great time to be shopping for used pianos. With the current trend for folks to divest themselves of "toys" and redundant things, there are bargains galore on nice instruments that, for one reason or the other, are no longer played.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LoPresti
With the current trend for folks to divest themselves of "toys" and redundant things, there are bargains galore on nice instruments that, for one reason or the other, are no longer played.

Ed

Along with the bargains there are more crap instruments that are not worth spending a dollar on. In this case the OP got in touch with Jerry Groot, so she is in very good hands.

I don't remember anyone saying: "Be sure to have a tech check out something you are thinking of buying."

That should be the first consideration when even THINKING about buying a piano - new or used.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
How right you are my two girls never told me that their piano teacher (a woman) was rapping their hands with a ruler; consequently they gave up ASAP.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Goof
How right you are my two girls never told me that their piano teacher (a woman) was rapping their hands with a ruler; consequently they gave up ASAP.

Yikes - how barbaric!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

Yikes - how barbaric!

Barbaric by today's standards. Yet common in the 1970's. My older sister had a piano teacher who would rap her hands with a ruler...and she'd come home crying. That was back when kids could get paddled on the behind in school too. This was before 'corporal punishment' got so much attention.

Attitudes change.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

The big question is this: Why did they not tell you?

Just once I'd like to see one of these piano b*****s get hit back by another woman, and HARD. laugh

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Unfortunately, most kids got bullied at school (or other places) would not tell.

There are "teachers" harass children sexually, we catch some of the busters every now and then, but almost each time, we found out there were more then one victim and the act was going on for a disturbing long period of time. I wonder how many of them never get caught. And you see the victims from many different cultures.

I don't think parents can expect their child come to you and tell you about the bad experiences. I always watch very closely to my children's mode change. When they are feeling low, I try to relax them hope that they will open up and tell me things. And you can't just ask abruptly, you have to make the atmosphere and ask at the right moment.

Why did they not tell? It is very big questions, and I would like to know the answer too.

M
OP Offline
M
Unfortunately, we don't piano rentals here but I did look into it.

Last edited by mbellephan; 08/23/12 08:03 PM. Reason: thought i included another person's post but it did not attach
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by mbellephan
Unfortunately, we don't piano rentals here but I did look into it.

Did you consider digital?

I am not talking about the filmsy keyboards, but digital pianos. Casio Priva 130 or Yamaha P95 can be found around $500 in US/Canada, they can be good learning instruments for beginners.
Around $1000 you would have many options, like furniture style Casio Celviano AP-220 or Yamaha Yamaha Arius.

If buying used, digital is safer than acoustic, at least you don't need to worry about it is out of tune, just check the keys.

Teachers please chime in.

M
OP Offline
M
I have thought about a digital but I feel I'd have to buy a piano down the road so may as well get it now.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Just once I'd like to see one of these piano b*****s get hit back by another woman, and HARD. laugh

That explains why they don't want adult students!

Learner
M
OP Offline
M
We have bought a piano. Hoping to have it in home in the next week or two. Still having lessons every other week until the end of the year (co-sharing with another parent) and then will start lessons every week in January. This schedule has worked out great for us so far.

Thanks for all of your input! Really appreciate it.

T
T
Originally Posted by mbellephan
We have bought a piano. Hoping to have it in home in the next week or two.

Fantastic, let us know how it goes!

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
M
OP Offline
M
Will do...piano is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. We're keeping it a surprise so can't wait to see the expression on my son's face.

R
R
Congratulations! I hope you son develops a deep love for music!

Last edited by rlinkt; 09/22/12 08:40 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission