2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
At the risk of giving Steinway even more exposure on the forums (what, Mr. Kirkland is on the other line? My check is in the mail?).

In an email from MMR this morning (it's also all over the Internet)...
-----------------------------------------------

Steinway Acquires Arkiv Music
Steinway announced that it has acquired ArkivMusic, LLC, an online retailer of classical music recordings. Specializing in the delivery of a broad selection of classical music titles direct to the consumer, ArkivMusic sells over 90,000 titles, including thousands of previously out-of-print recordings produced "on-demand" through its ArkivCD program. The company's annual revenue growth rate has accelerated over the last four years, exceeding 30% in 2007, with sales last year of just over $8 million.

ArkivMusic will continue to operate independently as a wholly owned subsidiary of Steinway.

Steinway will pay $3 million in cash at closing and three annual payments of approximately $0.5 million. The transaction involves additional potential consideration based on ArkivMusic's results over the next three years. Steinway does not expect the purchase to have a material impact on earnings in 2008.

"We are excited to have ArkivMusic and its employees join Steinway," said CEO Dana Messina. "We share a passion for supporting outstanding music and musicians, and ArkivMusic is one of the shining lights in the classical music business these days. This acquisition will help Steinway promote thousands of musicians that use our instruments around the globe."

ArkivMusic's president Eric Feidner said, "We are extremely excited to join forces with Steinway. We believe the reach and resources of Steinway can help us achieve our global growth strategy." For more about the company, see www.arkivmusic.com.

----------------------------------------

I find it a little scary that they are buying up Internet properties now, but I guess business is business.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't make a good customer since I play everything by heart....
[or 'mind'....]

Norbert laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano World:
I find it a little scary that they are buying up Internet properties now, but I guess business is business.
Uh Frank...maybe they'll want to buy PianoWorld...think of a number....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Actually, it is an intresting move. Arkivmusic is positioned well to be a dominant player as the world moves from CDs to downloads. Classical music listeners have been slow to adopt downloads - probably because of being an older audience. Still, with time the move will come - and with Arkivmusic's customer base, that's not a bad place to be. Given what Steinway spends on advertising, this is an excellent platform for them to showcase instruments as well. The dollars involved seem pretty modest.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I don't see what is scary about it.

Frankly, I am glad that Arkiv Music is in strong hands now - with local and national chain retailers who offered classical CD's going out of business (e.g. Tower Records), Arkiv is a good resource and competes favorably with Amazon as an online retailer of CD's.

Their catalog is extensive and their service is good.

I am not a big fan of Steinway, but this would seem to be an interesting and probably positive move for them. I hardly think that big, bad Steinway is going to dominate the Internet.

Arkiv does not offer downloads at this time, by the way. Certainly they may in the future.

Napster just began offering downloads and has a very extensive selection.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Originally posted by kluurs:
Actually, it is an intresting move. Arkivmusic is positioned well to be a dominant player as the world moves from CDs to downloads. Classical music listeners have been slow to adopt downloads - probably because of being an older audience. Still, with time the move will come - and with Arkivmusic's customer base, that's not a bad place to be. Given what Steinway spends on advertising, this is an excellent platform for them to showcase instruments as well. The dollars involved seem pretty modest.
My thoughts exactly - I wonder if S&S will use its new distribution arm to further leverage its C&A program. Probably wouldn't make sense to simply not carry non-C&A (piano) artists, but I can imagine C&A members recieving much more exposure of the website, not unlike how ITunes has featured artists on its homepage. Certainly would give musicians another compelling reason to join the C&A army.

The quote from Dana Messina that Frank repeats certainly makes that sound like the case

The posts are coming from inside the house! Repeat, the posts are coming from inside the house!
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
[b]I find it a little scary that they are buying up Internet properties now, but I guess business is business.
Uh Frank...maybe they'll want to buy PianoWorld...think of a number.... [/b]
$10,000,000

So I can retire to Tahiti and start Kazoo World

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mr. Baxter,

Quote:

“I find it a little scary that they are buying up Internet properties now, but I guess business is business.”

Why do certain business entities diversify? Could it be that the % of return on investments for shareholders has evaporated with the current business??

Or perhaps there is a “vested interest” in keeping the classical music system alive.

It would be interesting to obtain business reports to see what percentage of “music types” purchase instruments from this company. I would bet that the classical music genre would be the higher percentage. So now they not only sell you the instrument, but the music to play on it too!!
Thinking strictly from a business view……………………….

Cheers………………..

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
[b]
[b]I find it a little scary that they are buying up Internet properties now, but I guess business is business.
Uh Frank...maybe they'll want to buy PianoWorld...think of a number.... [/b]
$10,000,000

So I can retire to Tahiti and start Kazoo World [/b]
Ooooh - Kazoo World! Now there's an idea!

You see, I am an adult beginner with a limited budget. I have always wanted a concert Kazoo, and am considering either a new instrument or perhaps one that has been rebuilt.

Some have mentioned that there are some fine kazoos being built in China. Others, however have said that these have no track record as yet and are unproven - that I should stick with a more recognized name in Kazoos. The NY made Steinberg, for example, which many consider to be the "ne plus ultra" of kazoos.

Meanwhile, even others have suggested that the same comments were directed at kazoos that were first imported from Latvia several years ago, which fears have turned out to be totally unfounded.

Regardless of the brand, I have been advised to purchase a kazoo of at least 7" in length for its superior tone. However, I don't really know if I have room for such a large instrument in my pocket, you see.

Can anyone offer a suggestion to solve my kazoo dilemma?

I am going to my local library today to borrow a copy of "The Kazoo Book" by Harry Fine - perhaps that will provide some valuable insight.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Furtwangler:

Can anyone offer a suggestion to solve my kazoo dilemma?

Thanks.
Well you certainly won't find objective advice on this website - it's totally overrun with shills for Horner with multiple sockpuppet avatars.

All you can do is play as many as you can, employ the services of a RKT (check your local elementary school), consult with an instructor at your local clown college, and then just buy the one with the most European sounding name or prettiest finish

The posts are coming from inside the house! Repeat, the posts are coming from inside the house!
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Oh, Horner! Don't talk to me about those guys! I went to a local Horner retailer the other day and was stunned by their arrogance. It was as if Horner were the only brand of kazoo that one should even consider!

All I wanted to do was to try one of their kazoos without being hassled. I was attempting to play my famous rendition of "You are my Sunshine", but the guy kept hovering!

I would still consider a Horner, however, if it weren't for the comments on Kazoo World by that person calling herself "KazooMadam". I am totally turned off by her "Hornerisms" - sheer propaganda.

I did see a couple of nice kazoos on Craigslist. One apparently has been totally rebuilt and has a
brand new comb!

Maybe I'll go look at it this weekend - with my RKT, of course.

Don't forget to check out Kazoobie, a small American company that has rebuilt itself after a disasterous period of ownership by Mattel toy co. (which emphasized production cost over quality)

http://www.kazoos.com/best.htm

Unlike other brands, they are not made in China

They use polypropylene, and not cheapo polyethylene or polybutylene like other brands

They evidentally sell them a price lower than it costs to make; that's how much they care

The videos on the webpage clearly point out all the differences

I may own a Kazoobie myself, but I believe it is completely reasonable for me to say that anyone who owns any other brand is a complete idiot with no appreciation for tonal quality whatsoever, only bought the other brand to impress the neighboors, and is quite likely very ugly.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I know what you mean.

I have some ugly neighbors myself.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And another semi-serious soliloquy sinks slowly into silliness

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

Ssssufferin sssssuccotash. laugh

This is one for the Archiv's.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, at least Steinway bought them - it could have been Micro$oft!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mr Baxter,

That is a lot of S’ss in that sentence. I think the Kazoo idea has been covered. How about Pez World??

No? Doesn’t work for you?

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I think this is good news, with all the consolidation in that industry I was worried about Arkiv. I know Tower's listings have been getting smaller and smaller.

I must admit I am surprised to see Steinway do this I woudl think they would "stick to their knitting".

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe their knitting is unravelling?

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Digitus:
Maybe their knitting is unravelling?
Steinway has name recognition and a demographic that buys from them. Careful diversification that is consistent with the brand and provides an opportunity to get more wallet share from their customer base seems to make sense.

As the housing market continues to contract I expect to see more declines in new piano sales, so controlling expenses in tough business lines and investing in potential growth areas isn't a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission