Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1963585 - 09/24/12 08:41 AM Recommended Hygrometer?
MonkeyMark Offline

Loc: UK
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(ish) hygrometer.

Any recommendations as im sure some of the ebay "specials" will be very un-reliable?

Cheers, Mark

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1963588 - 09/24/12 09:05 AM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Mark,

I like your enthusiasm about your "new" piano!

Hygrometers are easy and no need to get fussy. The electronic ones are available at any good hardware or big box home center. For about 25 bucks, you can get one that reads Temp and RH and records over time and then you can see the trend. Some show the time on the read out screen, others don't. Mine doesn't show the time as I don't need it for a clock.

I keep one in the piano case and one in the room for a comparison. With the Dampp-Chaser system, I notice that the piano is more stable.

Early in the summer I had some work done on the humidifyer in my HVAC system and the serviceman had a very sophisticated one. I asked him what RH he was reading in the room. Mine matched exactly. Good enough for me.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1963823 - 09/24/12 05:35 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Moe Howard Offline

Loc: Placerville, California

I use a Lascar EL-USB-1, no longer made but similar to the "new and improved EL-USB-2".

Info can be found here:
Lascar EL-USB-2

The unit lives in the tail of my piano and comes out every now and then when I want to download recorded data into a spreadsheet.

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------

#1963879 - 09/24/12 06:44 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
In the US, I use a $10.69 unit that was checked against a Honeywell for accuracy.

http://www.amazon.com/Acu-Rite-Indoor-Hu...ords=humidistat

#1963883 - 09/24/12 06:49 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
I have central a/c (oversized, it came with the house) as well as a dehumidifier that runs 24/7 but my concrete block house here in Florida is rarely below 70% RH in the summer. My tuner complained when he visited in August.

I've replaced the aluminum jalousie windows that didn't close all the way with double-hung vinyl that does.

I have a chimney that does not close, cracks under the door, and a mail slot for my front door as well as three large dogs who are constantly wanting to go in and out of the house.

A damp-chaser would be like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

I don't know how to keep my RH below 60% year round, aside from replacing the a/c. That's going to be at least $6K.

Edited by dsch (09/24/12 06:50 PM)

#1963888 - 09/24/12 06:53 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
dsch,

I was raised in Miami and we had no a/c, but the simple damp-chaser worked well on my mother's vertical. Man, was that long ago!

#1964063 - 09/25/12 03:57 AM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
MonkeyMark Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for the replies.

I quite like the look of this one Acu Rite posted earlier.

I just want something simple but like the fact it has min and max. Cant find that one over in the UK but i'm sure i'll find something similar.

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1964204 - 09/25/12 11:53 AM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: dsch]
Cmajor Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dsch
I have central a/c (oversized, it came with the house) as well as a dehumidifier that runs 24/7 but my concrete block house here in Florida is rarely below 70% RH in the summer. My tuner complained when he visited in August.

I've replaced the aluminum jalousie windows that didn't close all the way with double-hung vinyl that does.

I have a chimney that does not close, cracks under the door, and a mail slot for my front door as well as three large dogs who are constantly wanting to go in and out of the house.

A damp-chaser would be like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

I don't know how to keep my RH below 60% year round, aside from replacing the a/c. That's going to be at least $6K.

If your CAC system is over sized, that is part of your problem. It is cooling the air too quickly so it is not removing the latent heat (moisture) sufficiently. Over sizing a system is just as bad, if not worse, than under sizing when it comes to removing humidity. If you system is older, it will have a 3 speed fan on the air handler. Since you claim it is over sized, make sure it is on the low speed so it removes more latent heat.

On what do you base your conclusion regarding the sizing?

If your stand alone dehumidifier is "running 24/7" and you are still having a problem, perhaps only the fan is running which is making you think it is running. It may have lost it's charge in which case it may run constantly but do nothing. At 70% humidity you should be emptying the drain pain very frequently or, if it is connected to a drain line, condensate should be running out at a fairly steady rate... if not, the DH is not working either properly, or at all.

All the "envelope" items you mention have to be addressed as 70% RH is not only bad for a piano but also for almost everything else in your house. At that moisture level molds can thrive and then you will have a monster problem.

I lived in S Florida for 25 years so I know what you are up against. As a mechanical engineer I designed many commercial systems for the high rise condos on the beach... talk about moisture! If your home is older, (25+ years) you may not have a moisture barrier between the block wall and the inside wall. You may not have a moisture barrier under the slab either.

In any event, you need to successfully address the RH before you have a situation that is both unhealthy for you and for your bank account.

#1964216 - 09/25/12 12:09 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Rudy99golf Offline

Loc: Guanajuato, Mexico
I bought one on one of those chinese gadgets store.

It is the size of a match box (remember those?)

Yes, it is tiny, and cost me about 4 bucks. It has temp and humidity, max/min.

Works great. What if it breaks down? well, I guess I´ll just buy another one.

It has been working for about 6 months with no problem.

something like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Temp...=item2312295809
Celaya, Mexico

#1964444 - 09/25/12 07:10 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
If anybody is worried about the accuracy of the cheap Chinese ones simply buy several of them and take an average.
I bought two fairly cheap ones when I got my piano but they were always within 1-2% of each other which is pretty encouraging.
We're just looking for a rough estimate anyways and what I was mostly concerned with was seeing the humidity SWINGS over a few days and between summer and winter.
Here in Toronto in the summer it can swing as much as 50-60% in a few days and in the winter the humidity drops off completely.
(It's practically impssible to get the humidity above 20% in the winter without condensation or ice forming on the windows.)
The rapid humidity changes played havoc with my piano but being able to see the RH fluctuations displayed by those two cheap little meters was what spurred my to fork out the dollars for the DamppChaser.

#1964816 - 09/26/12 03:06 PM Re: Recommended Hygrometer? [Re: MonkeyMark]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have an analog and a digital one.
The digital at the same time is a switch, it turns on my humidifier if it gets below some point.

I noticed that the analog consistently shows higher humidity than the digital. eg my analog now shows 68 and the digital 45. I have seen digitals showing low in many cases

I calibrated my analog (getting the right 100% point) so I believe the analog is closer to the actual. This is also confirmed by local weather indications on the web that now say 77% for my area.

It does not matter too much as a stable humidity is the most important, not the exact number.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
38 minutes 46 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
Today at 01:11 PM
False beating and unison tuning
by SMHaley
Today at 12:41 PM
Erard/Linke - Obtaining info from Museum of Music - France
by wdmcjrd
Today at 11:59 AM
First Pianniversary
by PhilipInChina
Today at 10:06 AM
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, ajames, 36251, Al LaPorte, 42 invisible), 1785 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158380 Topics
2325701 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission