Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1962960 - 09/23/12 02:49 AM My New Sauter Delta
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Greetings,

I recently ordered a Sauter Delta (185cm) from Heritage Pianos in Surrey, BC back at the end of June. The dealer, Norbert Marten and a dear friend of mine gave me a great deal on a pre-order basis, but no piano would be available until sometime in October.

Recently, I asked Norbert if he would ask Mr. Sauter to sign my piano. Not only did Mr. Sauter agree to sign my piano, but even agreed to take some pictures of himself doing so. I am pretty impressed that he was so accommodating!

I can’t imagine too many piano makers doing something like that. I would imagine they would be overwhelmed with requests.

Below are the pictures of Mr. Ulrich Sauter signing the plate of my piano that is still under construction at the factory in Spaichingen, Germany.

Funny story…. I sent these pictures to my friend Oren in Israel, as he knew I was waiting patiently for the delivery date. His response, which cracked me up was ‘Now you have ultrasound pictures of your new baby!’ or something to that effect.

Cheers,

allthumbs

Single Malts Forever!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1962962 - 09/23/12 03:16 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Dear allthumbs,

What a wonderful way to personalize your gorgeous new Sauter Delta piano!
I hope that you have an appropriately fantastic single malt to celebrate its arrival in October.

Warmest congratulations!

Robert.

#1962966 - 09/23/12 03:43 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: Robert 45]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
Dear allthumbs,

I hope that you have an appropriately fantastic single malt to celebrate its arrival in October.

Warmest congratulations!

Robert.

Thank you very much Robert. I am thinking of maybe having a wee dram of Lagavulin or perhaps a Macallan.

Single Malts Forever!

#1962993 - 09/23/12 05:21 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

or perhaps a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, or if you really want to feel like you've had your brain removed after one dram, there's a caol il that's touching on 60 percent..

#1962996 - 09/23/12 05:45 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
MyOldBluethner Offline

If it's half as good as the Sauter Omega 220cm I saw in Amersfoort earlier this summer then you've got a great piano.

#1963024 - 09/23/12 07:30 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Fantastic! I've never seen a Sauter in Australia, but have heard only nice things about them. Have you got just a signature, or is there a personal message in that signing?

#1963109 - 09/23/12 11:48 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Wzkit1 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Congratulations from one Delta owner to another! Do record it once you have it delivered...I'm just wondering how different other Deltas would sound from mine

Recordings on the Ibach and Sauter here: https://soundcloud.com/kit-wei-zheng

#1963214 - 09/23/12 03:10 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Congratulations!

When do you get it?

#1963241 - 09/23/12 03:55 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: allthumbs
Dear allthumbs,

Warmest congratulations!

Robert.

Thank you very much Robert. I am thinking of maybe having a wee dram of Lagavulin or perhaps a Macallan.

Congratulations, and whichever Scotch you decide on, you should invite Uli (Sauter). He would be HAPPY to toast you and your new piano!

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: SteingraeberGrotrianSauterEstoniaKayserburgBaldwinBrodmannRitmller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1963282 - 09/23/12 05:20 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: joe80]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: joe80
or perhaps a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, or if you really want to feel like you've had your brain removed after one dram, there's a caol il that's touching on 60 percent..

Good idea on the Laphroaig. I’ve had the 10year and the Quarter Cask. Both excellent Islays. As for the Caol Ila, I’ve never tried it, but I think it’s about time to do so. Another one for my list.

Edited by allthumbs (11/07/12 03:33 AM)

Single Malts Forever!

#1963284 - 09/23/12 05:25 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: MyOldBluethner]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: MyOldBluethner
If it's half as good as the Sauter Omega 220cm I saw in Amersfoort earlier this summer then you've got a great piano.

Norbert had an Omega that had been used as furniture for several years was and in on consignment. He offered me a fantastic deal on that piano, which by the way got me very enthusiastic on the Sauter line. Unfortunately the timing wasn’t there and he eventually sold the piano to a local music teaching for a screaming deal. I hated to see that one slip away.

I have played on one other Sauter Delta that Norbert has and it is also fantastic, but it’s also sold and is still at his shop waiting to be delivered.

I’ve been researching pianos for quite a few years in anticipation of getting the piano of my dreams at some point. I’ve played Steinway, Schimmel, Petrov, Yamaha C and S series, Knabe, Grotrian, Kawai RX and Fazioli. All very nice pianos, but for me, Sauter is the one.

Edited by allthumbs (09/23/12 05:29 PM)
Edit Reason: add Fazioli

Single Malts Forever!

#1963285 - 09/23/12 05:29 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: ando]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
Fantastic! I've never seen a Sauter in Australia, but have heard only nice things about them. Have you got just a signature, or is there a personal message in that signing?

I don’t know, from the photo it looks like there is more than just a signature. I’ll have to wait to see what’s there.

I've heard your Australia's Stuart & Sons pianos. If they sound anything like the demo CD I've heard, they are just heavenly. I've heard though they are extremely expensive. Fazioli range.

Single Malts Forever!

#1963286 - 09/23/12 05:32 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: Wzkit1]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: Wzkit1
Congratulations from one Delta owner to another! Do record it once you have it delivered...I'm just wondering how different other Deltas would sound from mine

Thanks Wzkit1,

I plan to do just that once I get used to the instrument. I have a digital 10-track recorder, but I’ll need to get a couple of mics suitable for recording a piano.

Single Malts Forever!

#1963288 - 09/23/12 05:34 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: wouter79]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Congratulations!

When do you get it?

Thanks wouter79,

Hopefully sometime near the end of October. The wait is beginning to kill me, especially after having seen these pics.

Single Malts Forever!

#1963292 - 09/23/12 05:39 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: master88er]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: master88er
Dear allthumbs,

Warmest congratulations!

Robert.

Congratulations, and whichever Scotch you decide on, you should invite Uli (Sauter). He would be HAPPY to toast you and your new piano!

Thanks Russell, Mr. Sauter would be most welcome anytime he’s in BC.

Single Malts Forever!

#1963313 - 09/23/12 07:00 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
CJM Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I've heard your Australia's Stuart & Sons pianos. If they sound anything like the demo CD I've heard, they are just heavenly. I've heard though they are extremely expensive. Fazioli range.

Stuart & Sons pianos take, on the average, 12 months to construct, so your wait would have much longer :-) As a result, being handcrafted from start to finish, they are on the expensive side but you do get what you pay for. Their sound is quite extraordinary.

I have recorded high end pianos with many different microphones, but there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the best are Earthworks. Once again, not cheap, but if you want the best ...

All you need to do now is download some decent music from www.pianophilia.com and you'll be on your way :-)

Regards
Chris
Stuart & Sons 2.2 metre #25

#1963427 - 09/23/12 11:22 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: CJM]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: CJM

Stuart & Sons pianos take, on the average, 12 months to construct, so your wait would have much longer :-) As a result, being handcrafted from start to finish, they are on the expensive side but you do get what you pay for. Their sound is quite extraordinary.

I'm not sure how long it takes Sauter to build a piano, but I think the one the will be heading my way was already in progress before I ordered it. The fit and finish on these instruments is impeccable.

[quote=allthumbs]
I have recorded high end pianos with many different microphones, but there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the best are Earthworks. Once again, not cheap, but if you want the best ....

That is good to know. I'll check those mics out. I remember years ago trying to record with a Sennheiser mic with horrendous results.

[quote=allthumbs]

All you need to do now is download some decent music from www.pianophilia.com and you'll be on your way :-)

Regards
Chris

Actually, I have been a member and sometimes contributor at pianophilia for a number of years, although I haven't been there lately.

I also collect and scan music in pdf format and over the years I have amassed about 30,000 pieces of music by 3,000 different composers. I also have
about another 4,000 pieces I've collected but haven't categorized yet.

I am always willing to share any music that I may have.

Cheers,

allthumbs

Single Malts Forever!

#1963436 - 09/23/12 11:39 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
The Grotrian dealer in Brisbane also has Stuart and Sons. He's got a 7'6" in stock. Lovely piano, but quite - well, different. I didn't spend much time on it, as I knew it was out of my price range. But to hear it being played by an accomplished pianist at the piano club, I'm sure it would be a delight to own. Very powerful.

#1963447 - 09/23/12 11:56 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
allthumbs:

We am just as excited about your piano as you are. Thank you very much for the trust you have placed in us and Sauter. For those who are interested Sauter is one of only very few German manufacturers still today headed by a member of the original founding family. Back in 1819 it is making Sauter world's oldest manufacturer still in operation today. It also one of very few German makers offering no sub-lines built elsewhere. Sauter insists building everything 100% in Germany with all parts and components made there as well. They have no ambition to compete in anything but the very best. It may be a small maker but they are selling all they make. That's why the wait. While I personally prefer the regular models like Delta and Omega, we're expecting an order anytime soon for one of their most exclusive models, the Peter Maly designed 7' semi-concert "Ambiente". Only one is being made per year, available also with 250 inlaid Saworsky Crystals. I've seen only one of these models myself before and while not my personal style, they are nothing short of stunning. Those interested to view a close up of this piano, pictures attached below.
Thank you very much!

http://www.sauter-pianos.de/english/gran...fullscreen=true

http://www.sauter-pianos.de/english/grand_pianos_maly_edition/ambiente.html

Edited by Norbert (09/24/12 12:14 AM)

#1963513 - 09/24/12 04:10 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: backto_study_piano]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: backto_study_piano
The Grotrian dealer in Brisbane also has Stuart and Sons. He's got a 7'6" in stock. Lovely piano, but quite - well, different. I didn't spend much time on it, as I knew it was out of my price range. But to hear it being played by an accomplished pianist at the piano club, I'm sure it would be a delight to own. Very powerful.

Well, you do have a wonderful instrument yourself. The Grotrians that I have played were world-class. That is one of the pianos I would love to own, but unless you have lots of room and money, you eventually have to pick one...

Single Malts Forever!

#1964071 - 09/25/12 04:28 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Congratulations!

When do you get it?

Thanks wouter79,

Hopefully sometime near the end of October. The wait is beginning to kill me, especially after having seen these pics.

END of october... Wow that will be a frustrating wait, just looking at a few pics for more than a month :p . Looking forward to hear it!

#1971819 - 10/11/12 01:28 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: wouter79]
allthumbs Offline

I just heard from Norbert and Mr. Sauter advised him that my piano is almost ready to be shipped, which should happen next Wednesday, October 17th. The serial number is 118 562.

Time to get out the cheque book! eek grin

Single Malts Forever!

#1981609 - 11/02/12 04:15 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
allthumbs Offline

Greetings everyone,

Well, after some delays in finishing the piano and a delay in shipping, my new Sauter Delta grand piano (185cm or 6'1") arrived last Tuesday, October 30th from the factory in Spaichingen, Germany.

The crate it came in was too big to fit into the 5 ton truck that the movers had, so they had to take it out of the crate in the Customs warehouse!

The crate also had 4 accelerometers on it so that if the piano was ever tipped the incorrect way or dropped and jolted beyond a certain tolerance, the sensors would trip and cannot be tampered with. The piano would not have been accepted from Customs by the movers.

Here are a few pictures now that it is all set up. The tone is gorgeous and the action is smoooooth. The padded adjustable bench is calf leather from Burghardt Klavierbänke, a well-known piano bench manufacturing company in Europe. Sauter doesn't make piano benches apparently.

Complete with the ubiquitous metronome and bust of Beethoven.

The fit and finish on this piano is immaculate and the prep beyond anything that I could have hoped for.

The lid can be lifted to 3 levels. You can see the two shorter lid props imbedded into the long one.

This picture show the keyboard and string covers. The string cover is 100% wool Melton double thick fabric.

This is what the owner of Sauter pianos Mr Ulrich Sauter, graciously signed on the plate for me.

Norbert presenting me with the key.

Norbert supervised the move into the house and got the piano action ready to go. He and his lovely wife Lina, put the piano bench together for me as well. Afterwards, we all went to dinner and celebrated.

I owe alot to Norbert for making this all possible and I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him for his generosity and help in aiding me in fulfilling my dream.

Thanks Norbert.

Single Malts Forever!

#1981622 - 11/02/12 05:51 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
Probably no point replying - he's too busy playing. But - congrats. And don't forget to change your footer!!

#1981678 - 11/02/12 09:17 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
bobinski Offline

Awesome Instrument....Cool Pics.....Congratulations! thumb

#1981705 - 11/02/12 11:01 AM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
What a wonderful piano! I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying my new one! The fit and finish looks world class!

#1981764 - 11/02/12 01:00 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: Chopinlover49]
allthumbs Offline

Originally Posted By: backto_study_piano
Probably no point replying - he's too busy playing. But - congrats. And don't forget to change your footer!!

Thanks for interrupting my playing, but I do need time to eat!

Footer has been modified…

Originally Posted By: bobinski
Awesome Instrument....Cool Pics.....Congratulations! thumb

Thanks, some of the pictures were taken by my friend who is serious about photography (MonoPod Photography).

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
What a wonderful piano! I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying my new one! The fit and finish looks world class!

Thanks Chopinlover, I can’t believe this piano is sitting in my living room. The closer I look at this piano, the more I am impressed with the fit and finish. Impeccable.

Single Malts Forever!

#1981793 - 11/02/12 02:25 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Wzkit1 Offline

Loc: Singapore
One word. Gorgeous!
Do you plan to record it anytime soon?

Recordings on the Ibach and Sauter here: https://soundcloud.com/kit-wei-zheng

#1981822 - 11/02/12 03:23 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: Wzkit1]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Absolutely stunning!! Enjoy your new piano. wow

#1981916 - 11/02/12 06:17 PM Re: My New Sauter Delta [Re: allthumbs]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
allthumbs:

Thank you very much - a true honor!

We are humbled by the experience and privileged to be allowed sharing this special event with you.

While you'll have a piano for life, you'll have friends in us the same!

Enjoy!!

[and don't forget eating...]

Norbert wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (Atrys, angga888, AZNpiano, ando, 17 invisible), 1314 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-Andr Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission