2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1963523 09/24/12 04:48 AM
N
NordF Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am looking at a lead sheet in G minor, one Chord indication is Gm/F.

Gm = G- Bb -D => there is no F in the G minor Chord so it can't be an inversion, can it?
Should I play an F together with the Chord with the RH?

Thanks

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
It's called a slash chord. Gm with an F in the bass. For some odd reason the LH/RH is inverted in slash chords. What's indicated on the left is played with the right hand and what's indicated on the right is played with the left. I'd play Gm/F as LH: F and D RH: G Bb D (or whatever inversion you fancy).

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I started with classical training, and learned letter name notation afterward. I first thought that slash chords meant inversions. So I thought that first inversion Gm is written as Gm/B, and second inversion Gm was written as Gm/D. It is true that they are, but the opposite is not true --- the slash chord does not "mean" an inversion. The slash chord simply tells you which note is on the bottom.

So you can have a chord which contains G, Bb, and D, but it has F on the bottom for whatever reason. That's what this is. One reason you might have it is if you have a pedal tone F.

T
T
Sometimes meaning of the chord is ambiguous. Especially in jazz notation. Gm could mean Gm7, Gm9, Gm11 and so on. This time Gm/F is third inversion of Gm7 chord. And you are allowed to add 9, 11, do some alterations which doesn't change role of this chord.

Last edited by tsulej; 09/24/12 08:01 AM. Reason: it wasn't first inversion...

Legnica Upright
Prokofiev Fairy Tale, Tchaikovsky The Sick Doll, Bach Minuet in G Major (BWV App. 116), Mozart Minuet KV 6 (I), Kabalevsky The Clown.
Working on: Haydn Little Concerto, Rebikov Souvenir, Bach Minuets, Tchaikovsky Doll pieces
Originally Posted by tsulej
Sometimes meaning of the chord is ambiguous. Especially in jazz notation. Gm could mean Gm7, Gm9, Gm11 and so on. This time Gm/F is first invertion of Gm7 chord. And you are allowed to add 9, 11, do some alterations which doesn't change role of this chord.

I just remembered hearing that if the 7 is in the bass, it's not put in the chord name. Thanks.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Try reading the slash (/) as "over" so it's Gm (right hand) "over" F (left hand) [but how you apportion the notes is up to you].

tsulej #1963701 09/24/12 01:38 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by tsulej
Sometimes meaning of the chord is ambiguous. Especially in jazz notation. Gm could mean Gm7, Gm9, Gm11 and so on. This time Gm/F is third inversion of Gm7 chord. And you are allowed to add 9, 11, do some alterations which doesn't change role of this chord.

Ah . . . NO.

While I have seen this as a growing opinion on this, as well as the Non-Classical Pianist Forum, it is not safe to assert that the symbol Gm could mean anything other than the notes G and Bb and D. All the chords you cite have very specific colors, and equally specific circumstances where they will work well.

Here is the confusing part: particularly in jazz improvisation, the player is free to spontaneously “extend” chords, which typically means adding some sort of seventh, or ninth, or eleventh, or thirteenth. Depending upon the jazz player’s skill, sometimes that works brilliantly, and oftentimes not so much. In any event, the spontaneous elaboration does not in any way indicate that the composer’s base chord needs to be altered, or can be freely extended. The extension cannot be done at random, or capriciously, and be successful. It takes advanced skill and experience on the part of the improviser to know when certain flavors of extension or alteration actually work.

So, technically, a Gm/F is, as KeyString originally stated, a G minor triad that happens to have an F in the bass at that point in time. That is what the composer or the arranger intends – plain and simple. It MIGHT also be FUNCTIONING as a Gm7 in third inversion, but that requires an analysis, and depends upon the surrounding harmonies.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
EJR #1963713 09/24/12 02:02 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EJR
Try reading the slash (/) as "over" so it's Gm (right hand) "over" F (left hand) [but how you apportion the notes is up to you].
Took the words right out of my mouth. Saying "G minor over F" will help you keep it straight as to which hand is which.

There are 2 types of slash chords. The ones where the bass note is in the chord are called "inversions" which could lead to the confusion. The other type is called a "hybrid" and it's an easier way to explain a complex chord. This is of the second type.

Either way, you play them the same.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Newman
It's called a slash chord. Gm with an F in the bass. For some odd reason the LH/RH is inverted in slash chords. What's indicated on the left is played with the right hand and what's indicated on the right is played with the left. I'd play Gm/F as LH: F and D RH: G Bb D (or whatever inversion you fancy).

Because it is not supposed to be written that way. The slash is supposed to be under the RH chord, like this:

Gm
--
F

Things get screwed up because of typing. And it's a way of saying play a Gm7 chord but inverted. It shows that the F is in the bass.

Typical example:

Gm, Gm/F, Ebmaj7

N
NordF Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you!

So if I understood correctly the chord progression should be played like that:
1 Gm G Bb D
2 Gm/F F Bb D
3 Eb Eb G Bb
4 Eb/D D G Bb
5 Cm C Eb G

In Gm/F the "G root" should be replaced by an "F root" and same in Eb/D the "Eb root" should replaced by a "D root"

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
No. The slash note is in addition to the other notes in the chord, not a replacement for them. You are perhaps confusing "root" with "lowest note played."

To correct what you've written: Add G to your line #2, anywhere higher than the F. Add Eb to your line #4, anywhere higher than the D.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 09/24/12 07:59 PM. Reason: added clarity. I hope.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
NordF #1963754 09/24/12 03:14 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Nope . . . (but Yes to what PianoStudent88 just posted.)

Gm = G Bb D

Gm/F = G Bb D with an F as the lowest note

Eb = Eb G Bb

Eb/D = Eb G Bb with a D as the lowest note

Cm = C Eb G

Cm/D = C Eb G with a D as the lowest note

[Chord Name] / [Note Name] = [All the notes of the triad or chord] sitting above the [Note Name in the bass].

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Just conceptually, the sequence you've got is indicating a moving bass line, more than any change in harmony. What you've got is a G minor, moving to Eb major, to C minor, and the composer/arranger wants the bass line to move step wise underneath those chord changes. I I were playing that with a bass player, I'd ignore what's after the slash, but for solo piano, the moving bass line is important. You may not even need to play the whole chord each time. In other words, play G minor, then just an F in the bass, then Eb major, and then just D in the bass. This would bring out what I'm guessing is the intent.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by jjo
Just conceptually, the sequence you've got is indicating a moving bass line, more than any change in harmony. What you've got is a G minor, moving to Eb major, to C minor, and the composer/arranger wants the bass line to move step wise underneath those chord changes.

I stuck that progression in as an example of where I would use it.

Showing the same thing, but with a longer progression, assuming Bb as a possible key:

Bb, Bb/A, Gm, Gm/F, Ebmaj7

This is just an example. It is essentially saying Bb, Bbmaj7, Gm, Gm7, Ebmaj7, but the slashes indicate two things.

1) The “7” is in the bass.
2) Most likely we don’t want to also put the “7” elsewhere because the “voicing” is better.

I I were playing that with a bass player, I'd ignore what's after the slash, but for solo piano, the moving bass line is important.

I would do the same thing. Playing those slashed bass notes on piano with a bass player is going to step all over the bass, and it produces mud. smile

You may not even need to play the whole chord each time. In other words, play G minor, then just an F in the bass, then Eb major, and then just D in the bass. This would bring out what I'm guessing is the intent.

I think you are right on target. wink

N
NordF Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I think you nailed it!

You may not even need to play the whole chord each time. In other words, play G minor, then just an F in the bass, then Eb major, and then just D in the bass. This would bring out what I'm guessing is the intent.

Showing the same thing, but with a longer progression, assuming Bb as a possible key:

Bb, Bb/A, Gm, Gm/F, Ebmaj7

This is just an example. It is essentially saying Bb, Bbmaj7, Gm, Gm7, Ebmaj7, but the slashes indicate two things.

1) The “7” is in the bass.
2) Most likely we don’t want to also put the “7” elsewhere because the “voicing” is better

Thanks!!

The piece:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzHiD3FRXQJARmVfcGw3ZXgxTzQ

I probably should have started with that.

Last edited by NordF; 09/25/12 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
jjo #1964051 09/25/12 03:31 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jjo
In other words, play G minor, then just an F in the bass, then Eb major, and then just D in the bass. This would bring out what I'm guessing is the intent.

You are Albinoni and I claim my £5.

N
NordF Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by dire tonic

You are Albinoni and I claim my £5.

You are a winner :-) Even if apparently the credit should not be entirely given to Albinoni but Giazotto

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Giazotto is famous for his publication of a work called Adagio in G minor, which he claimed to have transcribed from a manuscript fragment of an Albinoni sonata that he had received from the Saxon State Library. He stated that he had arranged the work but not composed it. He subsequently revised this story, claiming it as his own original composition. The fragment has never appeared in public; Giazotto stated that it contained only the bass line, and the work was copyrighted by Giazotto.

For some unknown reasons Giazotto who made this piece famous to the world would have initially given the credit to Albinoni when it was in reality mostly his own work.

Anyway, Giazotto or Albinoni (or the arranger) are giving me a tough time right now with their Chords ;-) I found the progression quite difficult.

I am puzzle about the Abm and Adim7. It seems a bit tough to do these two Chords in one mesure.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzHiD3FRXQJARmVfcGw3ZXgxTzQ

Does it makes sense for rest of you? Is it just (much) practice needed on my side.

Thanks!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
That's not Abm. It's Amb5, read "A minor, flat 5". It means take an A minor chord (A C E) and flat the fifth (A C Eb). Don't play the Am (that's just a starting point for figuring out the notes). Just play the end result Amb5 (A C Eb). This is a diminished triad. So then for Adim7 you just add the diminished seventh (Gb). So the measure is Amb5 (A C Eb) followed by Adim7 (A C Eb Gb).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- I claim the reward, not for tune recognition, but for outing Albinoni who's posting here as jjo. How else could he have divined Albi's intentions? (I didn't know about Giazotto - interesting. I suppose we'll never know the truth.)

btw, a few corrections are needed in your chart

12: Gm/Bb
19: Gm/Bb to Cm (arguably Cm6)
21: first melody note A natural (not flat)

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by NordF

Anyway, Giazotto or Albinoni (or the arranger) are giving me a tough time right now with their Chords ;-) I found the progression quite difficult.

- just to say, I think you're going about this in exactly the right way. I'm not a teacher but if I were, this is what I would encourage before trying to get to grips with structure and generalities. Your next effort will be that much easier. If possible do some more work on charts in a similar key so that you know how to get to these chords quickly before branching out into other keys.

Finally, or maybe as soon as you feel you're getting a grip, take a closer look at the geometry of chords generally so that you can apply the rules without further reference.

Does it makes sense for rest of you? Is it just (much) practice needed on my side.

- yes, and that's all that's required!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission