Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
59 registered (AZNpiano, AtlantisHero, AnimistFvR, aceydawg, 14 invisible), 1058 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1936741 - 08/03/12 04:14 AM the priceless things they say
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Me: We have an 'f' here, f for ... [waits for student but no response] forte, so we are going to play this bit ... [waits again] loud.

Student: My dad's forty.

laugh

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1936798 - 08/03/12 09:08 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
hilarious

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1936822 - 08/03/12 10:29 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Any other gems come to mind?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1936829 - 08/03/12 10:49 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Student: My dad's forty.
laugh

*mopping up keyboard*

#1936832 - 08/03/12 11:06 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Well this was during a music class as opposed to a piano session but I playing a game with 11 students which required partners....so I had to be the twelfth person[ usually I would be playing the piano]....so after a variety of explanations on the topic of 'odd & even' I asked if the youngsters [ about 4 yrs old] understood what odd and even were...one child said yes ' the first people on earth'.... that's one for the books.

rada

#1939310 - 08/08/12 11:59 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
A six year old, today, knocked her music book off the stand, and before it hit the floor, she exclaimed in her Aussie accent: "Bugga"!

At the end of the lesson, she stuck a big sticker on my chest, saying:

"That's for being a great teacher"

Priceless smile

#1939398 - 08/08/12 02:55 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

too funny!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1939404 - 08/08/12 03:08 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
piano_teacher29 Offline

Loc: Georgia
My dad had a spare cow hide rug (yep, a spare) that he gave me and I put it in the piano room. It really ties the room together (movie reference, anyone?). Okay, anyways...all of my students, including my adults, said something about it when they came to the next lesson. Majority liked it.

One of my young girls (she's 7 ) walked in and yelled, "WHAT IS THAT?!" I said "it's my cow rug."

"What is it doing here?!"
"My dad gave it to me, I like it."
"well I don't, that's just wrong. I mean, it's a cow. That's so wrong."
The whole lesson she kept looking back telling me how "wrong" my rug is and she couldn't believe I had it.

The next week she comes in, "You still have that?! That's just wrong."

She got over it by the third week and now insists we sit on the cow when we work on theory.

It's so funny that the kids will notice any change made to the piano room and want to talk about it the whole lesson.

#1939565 - 08/08/12 08:29 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: piano_teacher29]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: piano_teacher29
It really ties the room together (movie reference, anyone?)
The Dude abides. smile

#1939698 - 08/09/12 03:21 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: Scott Coletta]
allegro_concerto Offline

When I was a piano teacher I asked one student to write down notes during the lesson. Once he asked me how many hours of practice per day would be expected for an amateur pianist to become reasonably proficient.

I replied "three or four hours per day"

He wrote: "three awful hours per day"

#1939703 - 08/09/12 03:46 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
April's Piano St. Offline

Loc: Denton, Texas
When I was teaching at a music school in 2010, I got a new student (boy) who was 4 (almost 5). During one of the first few lessons, I asked him if there was a favorite tune he would like to learn on the piano. Most kids will request "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, "Mary Had a Little Lamb, etc. The 4 1/2 looks at me in all seriousness and says, "We Will, We Will, Rock You." -He said it though, more like "We Will, We Will, Wock You." I immediately burst out laughing... totally unexpected from a 4 year old! His Mom was sitting there and laughing too.

#1939768 - 08/09/12 08:03 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That's a curiously appropriate tune for a beginner!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1939909 - 08/09/12 03:07 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
kck Offline

These are great!

Today my 11 year old who I think should be beyond these hilarious things said something funny at his piano lesson. Last week he went to a piano camp where he was working on duets and a Mozart Sonata and a Mendelssohn song without words in a master class daily. He had 5 hours of class a day and it was pretty intense.

He went back to regular lesson today and his teacher was super excited to talk to him. He asked what the most exciting thing that happened at camp was. My 11 year old said the best thing was he bought some highlighter tape at the camp store. His teacher uses it on music and wow, now we can use it at home! grin crazy Sure glad we sent him to camp for that.

#1939964 - 08/09/12 05:14 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You can rest assured your money was well-spent. wink

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1945781 - 08/19/12 08:53 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
PApianoteacher Offline

A few weeks ago I was going over a new piece with a beginner student. The song ended with a C Major triad in the left hand. I explained to the 7 year old girl that she would have to play all 3 notes at the same time. She looked at me and said, "Really? Cool!"

#1945918 - 08/20/12 02:58 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bet it sounded cool too!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1949767 - 08/27/12 11:34 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: April's Piano St.]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: April's Piano St.
The 4 1/2 looks at me in all seriousness and says, "We Will, We Will, Rock You." -He said it though, more like "We Will, We Will, Wock You."

it's not too hard. FEDCDD with with some combo of a G and and F chord in the left hand.. even one note repeated in rhythm.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1949855 - 08/27/12 02:09 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: apple*]
sonataplayer Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
This morning, I was introducing a new piece to an 8 year old boy. I was pointing out that even though it was in the key of C there were lots of accidentals to watch out for. As I often do, I decided to test his knowledge/recall and asked him to define the term "accidental."

His response: That's when you play the wrong note by accident.

#1949857 - 08/27/12 02:17 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ha ha! Course, when I play wrong, it's normally on purpose.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1954090 - 09/05/12 03:19 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Happy Birthday Paul S. Offline

Loc: Washington (State), USA
Right in the middle of her lesson, a six-year-old student of mine interrupted me and asked me, "Do you ever just play the piano for fun?" "Almost every day!" I cheerfully replied, practically biting my tongue to keep myself from saying something like, "Well, 'for fun' is pretty much the only reason I play the piano!"

A few months later, another student who was near the end of Bastian level 1 really wanted to learn "Pink Clouds", which is the first song in Bastian level 4 - her brother had recently played it, and she really liked the song. After examining the song and realizing that is was not technically difficult, and that she was already familiar with the theory in the piece (i.e. 6/8, notes at the upper end of treble clef, etc. - she also plays the harp and the violin) I gave my consent, discussed the problem spots of the song and what might be hard for her, and casually mentioned that it might be a great piece for the recital coming up in two months. I asked her if she had any questions about it, and she perked up and said, "Oh, can you make the same punch as last year?"

#1954096 - 09/05/12 03:42 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

... and can you? It has to be exactly the same! laugh

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1954382 - 09/05/12 04:58 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Happy Birthday Paul S. Offline

Loc: Washington (State), USA
2 quarts orange juice + 2 liters Sprite. The kids drink it all every year! (Last year I had to make two batches. They hated the carrot cake, though.) I have a sneaking suspicion that they like the party more than the recital ...

#1954553 - 09/06/12 12:56 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Psh. Who wouldn't? smile

I usually make brownies. Easier than cake.

#1964497 - 09/25/12 09:21 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I asked a student today what key the piece was in that she just played. She correctly answered A minor. I asked her how she knew, and she said well, the key signature... "It's the cousin to C.... I mean the relative."

#1964506 - 09/25/12 09:54 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: Lollipop]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
today a 5 year old arrived to his lesson, got close to me, looked me straight in the eyes and announced, LOUDLY,....''

HONEST TO GOD I PRACTICED THIS WEEK REALLY I DID REALLY REALLY!!!!!

#1964601 - 09/26/12 04:22 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: Barb860]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Barb860
today a 5 year old arrived to his lesson, got close to me, looked me straight in the eyes and announced, LOUDLY,....''

HONEST TO GOD I PRACTICED THIS WEEK REALLY I DID REALLY REALLY!!!!!

Ha! Is that when you put away your whip? wink

So the same student whose dad is 40, said to me last lesson:

"Oh, I like this tune so much, it's really, really cool!"

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1964642 - 09/26/12 08:00 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I introduced "Etude in C" and the 8 year old said "Don't you mean Ay-titude?" I had to laugh because this is the kid who has a major dose of "attitude". I told her that no, this one is 'etude' but she could compose her own piece and call it Ettitude.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (09/26/12 08:48 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1964644 - 09/26/12 08:05 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I had a 7 year old this week tell me that she misses her little toy keyboard. (I had required a piano when she started lessons, and they gave away the toy keyboard.) She said "I could take it with me, and then flip it over and do my homework on the back."

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (09/26/12 08:49 AM)
Edit Reason: accuracy

#1964660 - 09/26/12 09:24 AM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: ten left thumbs]
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI
I spent the majority of my lesson yesterday with one of my chronic-no practicers just talking about the value of practicing and making it a priority. This was followed by lots of excuses about how busy she was all the time and how she has soooo much homework, etc.

We continued our lesson, then at the end when she was packing up, she said, "Do you give guitar lessons too? I would love to learn how to play the guitar. That would give me something to do during my spare time."
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

#1964729 - 09/26/12 12:07 PM Re: the priceless things they say [Re: toejamfutbol]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toejamfutbol
I spent the majority of my lesson yesterday with one of my chronic-no practicers just talking about the value of practicing and making it a priority. This was followed by lots of excuses about how busy she was all the time and how she has soooo much homework, etc.

We continued our lesson, then at the end when she was packing up, she said, "Do you give guitar lessons too? I would love to learn how to play the guitar. That would give me something to do during my spare time."

LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
Today at 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342068 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission