2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Well, we had our second new arrival today...a P105 arrived after lunch (just one by the way, not sure where the rest of my initial order is??) and we opened it right up. It's now sitting in the stand and pedals just 3 feet from the new Casio PX-150.

I'm looking for the reviews from others to come soon. I'm not going to spend time on a Friday night giving a lengthy, complete review, but I'll say that in this race of $599 slabs, I think Yamaha won many important points.

I clearly hear 2 layers in the Pure CF engine but I suspect a 3rd. The new speakers sound great. Really great, IMO. The action is the same, slightly under-weight GHS, but I really preferred both the Yamaha tone and the action's connection. The controls layout is pretty good and the new finish is more attractive. Thanks again to the speakers, but most of the other sounds are very enjoyable. My colleague had a blast figuring out the new rhythms function. Through headphones, you can definitely hear the weakness of details in the CF sample, but it is pleasing overall. Good board. Finally a big upgrade from the P85.

The Casio has an excellent, firm action. It has the look of a more expensive machine. Up close, I can see gentle ripples in the control console and of the two I've opened, one had a ding. I love the volume knob. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale. I like the sound but I don't love the sound. The speakers are a disappointment for me. They have power but sound small. I like most textured keytops but I think these are overdone. They don't bother me, but they aren't the same subtle, pleasant texture from the AP-620 and the like. The other sounds are pretty good to very good for the price range, but again, the speakers were the weakness in listening to these. The action is super responsive but the curve is not quite natural.

I confess I have had extremely high hopes for the Casio and fairly low expectations that the Yamaha would improve so demonstrably. I was expecting a warmed over P85/95 and with Casio, I was hoping for another underpriced monster that chips away at the market dominance of Yamaha in that segment. Expectations. What are you going to do?

Anyone else have an opinion to share?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
D
D
The term "managing expectations" comes to mind. You didn't expect much from the Yamaha, and were pleasantly surprised. Perhaps higher hopes for the Casio, which...

Not trying to be sour grapes...competition improves the breed, and I hope the new Casios do well for the brand, and shake up the usual suspects.

Last edited by dje31; 09/21/12 09:16 PM.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
The Casio (...) I like most textured keytops but I think these are overdone. They don't bother me, but they aren't the same subtle, pleasant texture from the AP-620 and the like.

Mike posted this pro shot of the keyboard, and the texture is clear. He chalked it up to lighting, but the photo doesn't lie apparently:

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Was at a Peter Gabriel concert tonight and Phils games this weekend- so won't make it to any stores until mid- next week:

Sam-as a P95 owner, do you think it would be worth an upgrade if it was $300?

In terms of the PX150, I am wondering if the tweeters on the 350 will make a difference with the comparable sound.

How is the second grand piano sound on the P105; is it a brighter version?

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I thought the speakers and wattage on the px 50 series where all the same except for the 850 ?

The underpowered speakers is one of he reasons for me to choose the es7 over the px 350. But you can't have it all; low weight and a powerful amp and speaker system. Something's got to give..., also the ES is almost twice the price of the px , so better speakers is no surprise. The aging PHi engine is however an (unpleasant) surprise. Therefore the Casio was still on my list, but from your review I understand its not really that good - thin piano sound , despite longer samples and overdone texture ?

Shame the casios are still not in the shops, want to pull the trigger before the coming tax hike here...please keep us posted.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
What's the weight difference between the P105 and the PX150?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
What's the weight difference between the P105 and the PX150?

Their specs are on the companies' web sites. The Casio is just a little lighter. Less than 2 lbs difference.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Possum P95
Sam-as a P95 owner, do you think it would be worth an upgrade if it was $300?

In terms of the PX150, I am wondering if the tweeters on the 350 will make a difference with the comparable sound.

How is the second grand piano sound on the P105; is it a brighter version?
Dude...you've asked the upgrade question six times in six threads. How is anybody supposed to answer that for you. Your wait is almost over. Go and then share with us.

On the PX-350, I can only guess but I do think the tweeters could be a big help. I'm still super excited for the PX-350. With the improved action and record to USB added to the other basics, I think it will be an incredibly affordable professional board.

If Casio puts this action in a stripped down MIDI controller, it would be a game changer, IMO. It can't fully compete with the actions of the 50+ lb. heavyweights, but compared to what is out there, I would develop that product. From a functional standpoint, the heavy-textured keys are good and very practical. It is just well beyond what you will feel on any acoustic.

The second piano on the Yamaha is very bright. I won't use it, but I don't gig.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
The action is super responsive but the curve is not quite natural.

I only had an opportunity to try it briefly, but that was basically my quick take on it as well. Fantastic feeling action, but unnatural velocity response. I'm hoping to be able to spend some more time with one next week.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I clearly hear 2 layers in the Pure CF engine but I suspect a 3rd. The new speakers sound great. Really great, IMO. The action is the same, slightly under-weight GHS, but I really preferred both the Yamaha tone and the action's connection. The controls layout is pretty good and the new finish is more attractive. Thanks again to the speakers, but most of the other sounds are very enjoyable. My colleague had a blast figuring out the new rhythms function. Through headphones, you can definitely hear the weakness of details in the CF sample, but it is pleasing overall. Good board. Finally a big upgrade from the P85.

Is there any pedal sympathetic resonance? Could you comment also on decay time and audible looping?

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
Is there any pedal sympathetic resonance? Could you comment also on decay time and audible looping?
Umm, I can't...we already sold it. smile I hope the rest of my order comes next week.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
Some newbee Questions for those in the know
1. The 105 seems to be going for a 100.00 more than the 95, at this time, is it worth it, that much improvement?
2. The 105 if i read it right does not have midi, would this be a problem if u wanted to connect ur 105 to say a motif or other workstation? Would u need a adapter if so how much is that?
3. P-95=499.00, P-105=599.00, PX-350=799.00, not thinking about sound or feel what are you getting in the px thats missing from the say 105, other than alot more voices, more control options?
4. Finally, setting everything else aside, which of the above 3 have the best on-board speakers/sound?
Thx, Duke

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Duke-N-NY
Some newbee Questions for those in the know
1. The 105 seems to be going for a 100.00 more than the 95, at this time, is it worth it, that much improvement?

No one can answer that for you. How much better it sounds is subjective. (And for that matter, $100 difference is a lot more to some people than to others.) However, I am put off by the fact that the 105 does not have standard MIDI ports. Which brings me to...

2. The 105 if i read it right does not have midi, would this be a problem if u wanted to connect ur 105 to say a motif or other workstation? Would u need a adapter if so how much is that?

Yes. If you're not connecting via a computer, you would need an adapter to MIDI it up to another keyboard, which more than doubles the price difference between the P95 and P105. There's the iConnectMIDI for $180, and a less versatile piece that would be a bit less from Kenton in the U.K. It's good that there are these options available, but it's an unfortunate circumstance that dropping MIDI ports from keyboards forces you to have to deal with the nuisance of it, and one more possible source of problems.

3. P-95=499.00, P-105=599.00, PX-350=799.00, not thinking about sound or feel what are you getting in the px thats missing from the say 105, other than alot more voices, more control options?

You should download the manuals from their web sites, to get a thorough look at their features and operations.

M
M
The Casio has an excellent, firm action. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale.

Is this true when run through good monitors, or is it just when run through it's internal speakers?

I've been lurking around here for awhile, and decided to register so I could ask you this question.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mrcpro
The Casio has an excellent, firm action. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale.

Is this true when run through good monitors, or is it just when run through it's internal speakers?

I've been lurking around here for awhile, and decided to register so I could ask you this question.
The speakers on a portable always limit the amount of detail that comes through. On my second shot at it, I listened with thru the speakers, through inexpensive headphones (ATH-M2X), and better ones (DT770). There is a lot of detail there. I stand by my comments about the "concert grand" piano sound. I now prefer the "classic" grand and would add to my original review specifically to say the the speakers are very pleasant for all of the extra sounds...for the piano sound, I'd hoped for more out of the speakers.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Most of us have not played the new Privias as they are barely reaching stores. As far as the sound goes, on board speakers have limitations. If you want to hear the piano at its best, plan on bringing a good pair of headphones with you.

M
M
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Most of us have not played the new Privias as they are barely reaching stores.

Exactly - which is why I was asking. There isn't one within 500 miles of where I live. But this guy's got one already.

My own use for this piano would be on a praise team primarily, run through my personal monitors and the house sound system. That's why I was asking. The internal speakers are nice to have for rehearsal but for me their sound is not important. The sound of the piano itself is very important however.

I appreciate the comments about the P-105 and would consider it if it had MIDI - kind of a requirement for my purposes. I know that the PX-150 has no MIDI either but the 350 does, and since they share the same main piano sound I was trying to get a feel for what that comment about it being shy on low harmonics was all about.

Anyway I can't wait to get my hands on a PX-350. But that's not even released yet.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you want to get an idea of what the PX-350 sounds like use a good pair of headphones or speakers and click the link below. I thought the AP sound was impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgEtHwMx9s&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by galaxy4t; 09/24/12 01:18 AM.
M
M
Yeah I've seen that video and listened to it a lot through both quality headphones and monitors. I think the piano sounds full and fantastic.

That's why I was looking for clarification from Sam Bennett. Is he basing his judgement of the PX-150 and P105 through their internal amplification only (which is valid of course), or does the P105 just smoke the PX-150 when they are both run through good external amplification?

N
N
Does CF Sound Engine sound very different from P95?

I tried P95 and Casio's PX135. I liked P95 much better.

Also, what do you think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrM7TzRVWhI

I didn't see this happen in the store but I am a novice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission