2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
If one is interested only in acoustic piano simulation and will do more than 95% of playing through headphones, is there any reason to shell out the extra money for the PX-350 instead of taking the less expensive PX-150? I'm not cheap -- far from it -- but I can't tell from what's been said so far what the PX-350 would give me (that I want) that's not available on the PX-150.

Am I missing something?
Just like before, it's about whether you will benefit from the larger feature set of the PX-350. More connections, more instruments, more on-board recording capability. The piano sound & keyboard are the same.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Sam. If I get one, it will be strictly as a travel practice instrument. I don't think I need anything but the piano sounds and keyboard, and if they're identical in the two, I'll probably go for the less expensive choice. For once. smile

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For your narrow purposes, you are probably right and can save the money on the PX-150. In our store, the other group we will focus on is beginners on a budget.

But for most adults wanting a portable, the cheap price for the extras on the PX-350 is almost a no-brainer. For gigging musicians on a budget, it's feature set is incredibly attractive. For teens, the extras make it 10x more fun to explore pop music with.

Mostly, I can't wait to hear the new piano sound and feel the new action for myself.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Q
Q
Again, anyone know when the PX-850 comes out?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by KLSinCT
I just found a new in-depth review of the upcoming Casio Privia PX-150 & PX-350 digital pianos at the following blog:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Kind of empty review though. Most of the info seems gleaned from press releases and other assorted data on the web. And no negative comments? I've dinked around on the PX130/330 in the past and remember many of the extra voices as being rather poorly done (severe stretching & looping IIRC). So other than maybe reading tons of his reviews and getting a sense for the usefulness of his picks, I'm not seeing much value add here.

Then I hit the end of the review and see that he's a seller. So much for writing his blog primarily for the love of music and to help my inner soul, dude's after my credit card!

He recommends every product he sells and does not recommend any product he doesn't sell, and he's really not all that transparent about what he sells. From what I'd gleaned, he sells Kawai and Casio and his "reviews" continually push people towards those. I have never seen him review a Roland or Yamaha product and recommend it. He will go so far as to say that they're nice, but for much less you can get a Casio and to contact him to find out how to get the best price. *wink*

+1 ; he probably just doesn't prefer the Yamaha tone as much as the others. It is always "Yamaha is nice but for $xxx more you can get the XXXX model which features"

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
If one is interested only in acoustic piano simulation and will do more than 95% of playing through headphones, is there any reason to shell out the extra money for the PX-350 instead of taking the less expensive PX-150? I'm not cheap -- far from it -- but I can't tell from what's been said so far what the PX-350 would give me (that I want) that's not available on the PX-150.

Am I missing something?

azpianodude in his review said the PX350 has 4 speakers vs 2 on the PX150; but I have not seen that it has 4 speakers anywhere else, and given the output watts are the same I have a hard time believing this.
Mike from Casio, could you confirm whether there are 4 speakers?

I purchased the PX130 in April for $375 as opposed to getting the PX330 for $575. I am similar to you- not cheap either, but am reluctant to pay for features that I might have on another board. (i.e. more Rhodes and B3 sounds on my Juno Gi)

I find that 3 acoustic piano sounds and the one rhodes on the PX130 are fine for me, but if I find I like sounds that are not on both I might be inclined to go for the PX350

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Originally Posted by Qubix

I thought all this lot was hitting the stores in September but I'm sure Mike will correct me if not.

I've spent a great deal of this afternoon playing a PX-320 through my studio monitors (with the internal speakers still active too) and I'm finding I'm liking the set-up more and more.

It's by no means a perfect piano sound but unlike a lot of the other lightweight DPs I've tried (e.g. Yamaha P95, Roland FP4), the action feels nicely balanced and "dig in-able" and the bottom end characterful and well defined, albeit lacking a bit in ultimate bass impact.

It's not the DP I'd choose to sit full time in my studio but as a real world gigging machine, this could take some beating. I'm very much looking forward to playing the PX-350 and could very well end up being a customer.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Aidan
Originally Posted by Qubix

I thought all this lot was hitting the stores in September but I'm sure Mike will correct me if not.

I've spent a great deal of this afternoon playing a PX-320 through my studio monitors (with the internal speakers still active too) and I'm finding I'm liking the set-up more and more.

It's by no means a perfect piano sound but unlike a lot of the other lightweight DPs I've tried (e.g. Yamaha P95, Roland FP4), the action feels nicely balanced and "dig in-able" and the bottom end characterful and well defined, albeit lacking a bit in ultimate bass impact.

It's not the DP I'd choose to sit full time in my studio but as a real world gigging machine, this could take some beating. I'm very much looking forward to playing the PX-350 and could very well end up being a customer.

I tried my 130 with Mackie MR5's for the first time and was quite pleased with the results of using studio monitors as well. I would opt for the same concept as opposed to getting a console

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
M

Qubix

The PX-850 is targeted for October.

Last edited by mg64; 07/29/12 04:15 PM.
R
R
Hi, Does anyone (Mike M.?) know if the PX-350 will have Hammond clone with user controlled leslie on/off effect like PX-3? Thanks!

[quote=Possum P95]
...azpianodude in his review said the PX350 has 4 speakers vs 2 on the PX150; but I have not seen that it has 4 speakers anywhere else, and given the output watts are the same I have a hard time believing this.
Mike from Casio, could you confirm whether there are 4 speakers?...[quote=Possum P95]

The 350 specs are here...http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-350BK
Speaker specs show 4 total:
(13 cm x 6 cm <rectangular>) x 2
Tweeter 5 cm x 2
Amplifiers 8 W + 8 W

V
V
Originally Posted by playliszt
[quote=Possum P95]
...azpianodude in his review said the PX350 has 4 speakers vs 2 on the PX150; but I have not seen that it has 4 speakers anywhere else, and given the output watts are the same I have a hard time believing this.
Mike from Casio, could you confirm whether there are 4 speakers?...[quote=Possum P95]

The 350 specs are here...http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-350BK
Speaker specs show 4 total:
(13 cm x 6 cm <rectangular>) x 2
Tweeter 5 cm x 2
Amplifiers 8 W + 8 W

This seems to be the same as the 130/330 - my 330 has two small speakers on top facing the player and the two main speakers facing out the back, even though the power is the same.

The PX-130 & PX-330 do not have four speakers. The cabinet is simply open in two areas. The new PX-350 has four speakers....the addition of 2 tweeters on the front. The speakers on both the new PX-150 and PX-350 are dramatically different.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
V
V
Are you sure? PX-330 manual p.57:
Speakers [13cm x 6cm (rectanuglar)] x 2 + o/ 5cm x 2 (Output: 8.0W + 8.0W)

;-)

It's possible I am. I'll try to check into it. Either way, the PX-350 is an entirely different system.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
R
R
Wow, this is getting to be one heck of a thread. Got a question for Mike Martin:

The 150 to the 350, similar to the 130 and 330 whereby; they both have the same main core piano sounds and the main difference is all the added voices, bells and whistles? I want to know if the construction quality, mechanics of the action for the 150 is the same as the 350. I only want high quality piano sounds which is why I bought the 130 over the 330.

By the way; Even though I bought a CP5, I still have and love my PX130 and I hate to say that I almost like the action better. I don't intend to sell it. I just wanted a DP that was up in the high-end of the professional stage models. I kind of wish I had waited to try out the 150 first.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RUSS SHETTLE
The 150 to the 350, similar to the 130 and 330 whereby; they both have the same main core piano sounds and the main difference is all the added voices, bells and whistles? I want to know if the construction quality, mechanics of the action for the 150 is the same as the 350. I only want high quality piano sounds which is why I bought the 130 over the 330.

Yes, I would like to know this too.

Here's hoping the PX-3 reboot (if/when it comes, PX-3.5?) will have all of the updated and unlocked improvements of the PX-850.

Kinda weird how almost every potentially gig-worthy (lightweight & portable) DP is either half broken or dumbed down to the point of worthlessness. Looking at the market you'd almost think there was a worldwide ban on keyboard players in live settings. <Cue avalanche of derogatory pianist jokes>

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Here's hoping the PX-3 reboot (if/when it comes, PX-3.5?) will have all of the updated and unlocked improvements of the PX-850.

I'm sure Mike so regrets using the word "unlocked"... ;-)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Yeah, he probably didn't intend for it to sound like "nice little DP you got there - shame if compiler directives were to cripple it" but if you are a coder in any sense it's difficult not to read "unlocked features" that way.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Yeah, he probably didn't intend for it to sound like "nice little DP you got there - shame if compiler directives were to crippled it" but if you are a coder in any sense it's difficult not to read "unlocked features" that way.

I think it was more marketing-speak than tech-speak. You know, more like "putting more RAM into your computer unlocks the power of your pentium processor!" It doesn't mean some ability was intentionally "locked" per se, but rather, with additional hardware, the processor is capable of doing more.

But I agree that, when the next version of a PX-3 appears (i.e. a new "professional, yet portable" model), I hope it will contain the best piano sound Casio has to offer.

Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission