Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 193 of 236 < 1 2 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1963041 - 09/23/12 09:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
A family member passed away last night, so my choice is for him....

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1963045 - 09/23/12 09:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Becca, please accept our condolences.

This vocal offering from Ian Bostridge, here starting the Schubert song cycle Winterreise, is in appropriately sombre mood. One of our fellow ABForummers has just recently been introduced to the Art song. What better example than this?

#1963060 - 09/23/12 10:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bedrich Smetana's The Moldau, one of six pieces celebrating his country in his materpiece, Ma Vlast, gives us repose. The depth and beauty he saw in this great river is easily felt in this vey popular symphonic poem.

#1963065 - 09/23/12 10:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Really Sorry Becca frown x

#1963079 - 09/23/12 11:07 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And the last contribution to today's Sunday Classical collection is a thrilling performance of Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen and I have waited to post this since Griffin posted the Valse Sentimentale by Tchaikovsky two Sundays ago, which reminded me of it.

I dedicate this to those brave and noble souls overcoming their own trials and tribulations to prepare entertainment for us while others can only look on and post pieces on Sunday for their own Satiety.

#1963107 - 09/23/12 11:47 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good job Richard smile

#1963173 - 09/23/12 02:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Sorry to hear that Becca.. pm me if you want/need to talk .

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1963182 - 09/23/12 02:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

My condolences Becca. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

#1963199 - 09/23/12 02:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I’m sorry to hear this news, Becca, accept my condolences.

My website

#1963621 - 09/24/12 10:54 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
I'm really sorry to hear this sad news, Becca. frown Please accept my deepest condolences.

#1963631 - 09/24/12 11:19 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone. I'm doing alright. One foot in front of the other. Unfortunately I'm at that age where my family will start going to the great gig in the sky. Nothing to do but work through it and be supportive for my family.

Learning Satie has now become tied up with honoring my uncle (don't ask me why I don't understand my own brain at the best of times) so practicing now is got a bit of a punch to it. smile

Good always comes from bad. Hope your all doing well.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1963637 - 09/24/12 11:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: BeccaBb]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
Thanks everyone. I'm doing alright. One foot in front of the other. Unfortunately I'm at that age where my family will start going to the great gig in the sky. Nothing to do but work through it and be supportive for my family.

Learning Satie has now become tied up with honoring my uncle (don't ask me why I don't understand my own brain at the best of times) so practicing now is got a bit of a punch to it. smile

Good always comes from bad. Hope your all doing well.

Becca, I think it's a beautiful way to honor your uncle with your piano selection. It will give even deeper meaning to it all.

#1963646 - 09/24/12 11:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Thanks a lot, Richard for such a great selections for Sunday Classical! Your sacrifice for Griffin's practice is quite admirable, but you're not going to be excused for our next-to-next recital on Mendelssohn anyway. wink

#1963647 - 09/24/12 11:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Great Sunday classical postings Richard! Thanks again for agreeing to take these on! I am looking forward to what you have in store for us next time. Best regards! smile

#1963690 - 09/24/12 01:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Wayne, Rupak, and Griffin, for your appreciation. I'm glad the selection was enjoyed.

Of course, it's easier to hit the right note when you pick music than hit the right keys when you practsie Satis smile

#1963696 - 09/24/12 01:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Can't wait to listen, Richard!

And Becca, I am so sorry to hear of your uncle's passing.. you're in my thoughts.

#1963793 - 09/24/12 04:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

At last I could listen to the Sunday postings. Excellent job Richard, you made fantastic choices.

BTW, I had heard of this dramatized video of Ian Bostridge singing the Winterreise, but I hadn’t watched it before, and was curious. The first lied is amazingly sung. I see the whole video is uploaded to Youtube… Wow.

Thanks Richard for these fabulous postings.

My website

#1964130 - 09/25/12 09:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Recaredo.

Yes, Bostridge has done a lot of Schubert and worked with Fischer-Dieskau, probably the finest singer of Winterreise to date.

#1964239 - 09/25/12 12:43 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Exterminating Angel

During a formal dinner party at the lavish mansion of Señor Edmundo Nobile and his wife, Lucia, the servants unaccountably leave their posts until only the major-domo is left. After dinner the guests adjourn to the music room, where one of the women, Blanca, plays a piano sonata. Later, when they might normally be expected to return home, the guests unaccountably remove their jackets, loosen their gowns, and settle down for the night on couches, chairs and the floor.

By morning it is apparent that, for some inexplicable reason, they are psychologically, but not physically, trapped in the music room. Unable to leave, the guests consume what little water and food is left from the previous night's party. Days pass, and their plight intensifies; they become quarrelsome, hostile, and hysterical - only Dr. Carlos Conde, applying logic and reason, manages to keep his cool and guide the guests through the ordeal. One of the guests, the elderly Sergio Russell, dies, and his body is placed in a large cupboard. Béatriz and Eduardo, a young couple about to be married, lock themselves in a closet and commit suicide.

Eventually, several sheep and a bear break loose from their bonds and find their way to the room; the guests take in the sheep and proceed to slaughter and roast them on fires made from floorboards and broken furniture. Dr. Conde reveals to Nobile that one of his patients, Leonora, is dying from cancer and accepts a secret supply of morphine from the host to keep her fit. The supply of drugs is however stolen by Francis and Juana, an incestuous brother and sister. Ana, a crazed guest and a practitioner of witchcraft, invokes the demons of heck while lapsing into feverish hallucinations.

Eventually, Raúl suggests that Nobile is responsible for their predicament and that he must be sacrificed. Only Dr. Conde and the noble Colonel Alvaro oppose the angry mob claiming Nobile's blood. As Nobile offers to take his own life, a young, foreign guest, Letitia (nicknamed "La Valkiria") sees that they are all in the same positions as when their plight began. Obeying her instructions, the group starts reconstructing their conversation and movements from the night of the party and discover that they are then free to leave the room. Outside the manor, the guests are greeted by the local police and the servants that had left the house on the night of the party.

To give thanks for their salvation, the guests attend a Te Deum at the cathedral. When the service is over, the churchgoers along with the clergy are also trapped. It is not entirely clear though, whether those that were trapped in the house before are now trapped again. They seem to have disappeared. The situation in the church is followed by a riot on the streets and the military step in to brutally clamp down on the rioters. The last scene shows a pack of sheep entering the church in a row, accompanied by the sound of gunshots.

#1964396 - 09/25/12 05:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

for all the satists amongst us, here is a video from the past showing john cales ( ex V/underground) participation in a satie "event"

the event was saties "vexations"...... 840 repeats needs a few folks in relays....

maybe one for after the mendelssohn?

please no!! lol.

wayne if you are going to be surreal, you need to warn us first!LOL.

I didnt know what was going on till I read the other thread..

I thought you was writing about last nights dream!

Edited by Rostosky (09/25/12 05:45 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1964408 - 09/25/12 06:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow 840 times, no way I have stamina for that!

Very cool find Rossy!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1964700 - 09/26/12 11:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

An explanation for my post would have been helpful wouldn't it Rossy, what am I like. Wouldnt mind watching the film now lol. smile

#1964701 - 09/26/12 11:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

AimeeO, you up for Gnossienne 2? Just need to confirm wink

#1964833 - 09/26/12 03:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dont you just hate it when an old ex celebrity dies, say one that you never liked at all?

Music to watch the girls go by,

I have never needed any music to watch the girls go by to, I enjoy them going by just as they are. Anyways its probably sexist now.

"cant get used to losing you?" well get over it dude.

"where do I begin?" well obviously, at the begining, unless you really want to confuse folk.

"moon river?" EVERY river has the moon in it, IF there is a clear sky and a moon that night.

"white christmas" DUDE, do you know how upsetting that song was to thousands of kids in the UK that waited every year for it to snow at christmas?

It never did, the only way your christmasses will be white here in the Uk is if you hide under freshly laundered linen.

It has the added benefit of muting the ears to that song as well.

I really dislike folk like Andy williams dying because now they will play millions of his songs for ages and I dont like any of them.

#1965117 - 09/27/12 05:46 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have given a commitment to do the Sunday Classical postings. I will honour that commitment. It will be a pleasure to spread a little joy and happiness, as we do in this thread, amongst all the trials and tribulations of life.

This thread is a comfort. It's a source of solace when we're besieged by life's constant sorrows. It's a place where we can come to share our music; songs and sounds that please us and we want others to experience the joys they bring.

Here is a gentle place where everyone is convivial, where we can relax in the warm glow of friendship. When the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune spoil our sojourn in this world of worries and woes, here we have a safe haven to smooth over the sharpness of stress and console the spirit.

Hush! Listen.

Here's a place we can turn to at the end of the day and smile.

Here's a place where music silences the noise of anguish and anxiety that vex us as we make our wearied way through this world.

Music, be it easy, light or passionate and full of emotion, music chosen by others that we might not otherwise have heard or listened to and that gives us variety, an infusion of energy.

A sunny, desert island in the stormy seas of life.

Vita brevis. There isn't time to spread anything but humour, peace and joy. Few complain that there's too much of them in the world.

#1965135 - 09/27/12 06:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well in a few hours I'm off to go back home and won't have a chance to come visit here till I'm back. You all have a good weekend!

I hope to read more of Wayne's zany surealism and more Rossy Ranting! Enjoy your Sunday Classical postings!

I'll be thinking of you guys. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1965142 - 09/27/12 07:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Beautiful post, Richard, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Have a nice trip Becca!

My website

#1965156 - 09/27/12 08:14 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Richard, I also appreciate your post about this thread. It represents many of things I feel. No matter how busy things are for me, I take comfort in being able to at least check in throughout the day. Yes, there are some good friendships are here. Also, a wealth of wonderful sharing of our music and ourselves. Also, I can't thank you enough for taking on the Sunday classical postings.

Becca, you and your family are in my thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you when you return from your uncle's funeral.

Recaredo, I'm glad you checked in today. You've had an influence on my music learning journey, as does everyone else who contributes to this thread. My post today is a performance of the Chicago Flamenco Company Ensemble Español celebrating its 35-year anniversary. Enjoy!

Edited by griffin2417 (09/27/12 08:41 AM)

#1965164 - 09/27/12 08:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Rostosky

I really dislike folk like Andy williams dying because now they will play millions of his songs for ages and I dont like any of them.

Perhaps a fitting "punishment" for those with a less than compassionate outlook on Andy's life and times and music...too bad he didn't play jazz also... laugh
And I imagine that poor old Andy wasn't too awfully happy about this event either...

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1965310 - 09/27/12 02:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad you’re enjoying flamenco, Griffin. I didn’t know there was a flamenco ensemble in Chicago. Great!

My website

Page 193 of 236 < 1 2 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
189 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, adultpianist, 51 invisible), 1801 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249461 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
04/16/14 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
04/16/14 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
04/16/14 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission