2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just read a very interesting article about a young lady of 30 something who sees colors when playing the piano. She has perfect pitch and sees certain colors when playing certain notes, for example, G is yellow and D is blue, A flat is red/orange. C# is deep purple and Db is periwinkle even though these notes are the same pitch. I found the article fascinating. Her name is Laura Kathryn Rosser. She has recorded some of her music, for which I plan to search on Amazon. She could hum perfectly in tune as an infant and as a toddler could play the piano by ear...amazing!

Have you every heard of people who see colors in music?

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
R
R
http://www.laurakrosser.com/bio.htm

you mean her?

i just googled that.

I've heard of synesthesia but I don't know anyone who's experienced that personally. I do know people who claim to see auras and chakras though, that might be relevant or similar.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I've heard of it. I never met any musician that experienced it. On the old TV series Heroes, one of the characters had a super version of it. Heroes is a TV series about people with super human powers, so it is exaggerated in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWil81gl50I

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have seen colours when just playing my own random tunes on my Piano yes. Not only that saw scenes like Monet paintings!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rakim

you mean her?

i just googled that.

I've heard of synesthesia but I don't know anyone who's experienced that personally. I do know people who claim to see auras and chakras though, that might be relevant or similar.

I think it could.

T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by rakim

you mean her?

i just googled that.

Yep, she's the one.

Virginia

J.Wooden
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I have seen colours when just playing my own random tunes on my Piano yes. Not only that saw scenes like Monet paintings!

Wow, that's interesting! Did you hum as an infant, also? Do you see the same colors that Ms. Rosser saw with certain notes? Do you see the colors everytime you play or just when you play certain music? Wonder if the art work visions come from your memory. Do you visit art galleries frequently?

Virginia

J.Wooden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tech 5

Wow, that's interesting! Did you hum as an infant, also? Do you see the same colors that Ms. Rosser saw with certain notes? Do you see the colors everytime you play or just when you play certain music? Wonder if the art work visions come from your memory. Do you visit art galleries frequently?

I saw Magenta with F and yellow with C. It doesn't happen all that often, it's when I just put my fingers on the keys and let whatever will come come- just letting notes flow. I usually close my eyes and let it happen.I have no goal just to let my Piano play! I do go to galleries very so often but these were like living paintings- scenes in fields, flowers, butterflies etc.

I was once in a sort waking dream (day dream?) playing- I was playing, letting it come and closed my eyes and my mind was alseep dreaming but my hands were flying around the keys making music. It was a particular state of consciousness I cannot explain.

I also have a diploma in colour therapy and trained in other holistics and love art and music so prob why I see colours sometimes when playing Piano. Doesn't happen with sight reading at all though. Only ad hoc playing.

I probably did hum as an infant- I was always singing/humming under my breath as a child and getting told off for it. Music is crucial for my well being.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 09/25/12 10:48 AM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Helene Grimaud (not sure of spelling) claims to have this. She is a very talented French pianist who has made a lot of recordings in the past few years.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Oh, also Scriabin.

R
R
the painting more than likely comes from memory. i practice meditation and reiki and sometimes i get images from childhood, i don't see them in front of me though, i see them with my eyes closed.

it would be great if more was known about these things. it's a little off topic but i saw a documentary on Indigo Children a long time ago, it's a name for clairvoyant children, and some of them go on to live very rough lives because they don't know how to handle themselves. it's good to see this girl with synesthesia is being well received.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
Helene Grimaud (not sure of spelling) claims to have this. She is a very talented French pianist who has made a lot of recordings in the past few years.

Will have to see if she's on you tube!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
Oh, also Scriabin.

Interesting- must have a read about Scriabin. Got one of his compositions on a classical CD.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
the painting more than likely comes from memory. i practice meditation and reiki and sometimes i get images from childhood, i don't see them in front of me though, i see them with my eyes closed.

I practice them too. The moving paintings were "seen" with both eyes closed and then also in my mind's eye if you know what I mean.Thbey were Monet like impressionist but not the exact Monet paintings- probably inspired by this though in some way.

it would be great if more was known about these things. it's a little off topic but i saw a documentary on Indigo Children a long time ago, it's a name for clairvoyant children, and some of them go on to live very rough lives because they don't know how to handle themselves. it's good to see this girl with synesthesia is being well received.

I'm all for celebrating our uniqueness! smile

R
R

I practice them too. The moving paintings were "seen" with both eyes closed and then also in my mind's eye if you know what I mean.Thbey were Monet like impressionist but not the exact Monet paintings- probably inspired by this though in some way.

Same with me about the mind's eye, i just didn't want to test anyone's beliefs lol. If you saw it while playing piano maybe it's a metaphor for your music. You see it as a classic work of art. Who knows though, these things are so open ended.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Robert Schumann was supposedly the original synaesthete (yes, apparently it's a word) who also made a colored circle of fifths based on it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Scriabian did one too- never heard of this before til this topic came up. Interesting!

I remember the subject of synesthesia came up in one of my college modules. Aparantly it is not only confined to active musicians. There are some synesthetic people who see colours from just listening to music, so it is not limited to actually playing. I remember studying a film-maker worked with a synesthete to create synesthetic music videos. He used the other man's descriptions of what he was seeing to match up images and colours with the music in film format. It was fascinating!

Of course, I can't for the life of me remember what his name was.....

Last edited by katemck; 09/27/12 05:26 PM.

Scoil Ceol Currach Clo

B.Amus, B.Mus, Grad.Dip.Mus.Ed
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by katemck
I remember the subject of synesthesia came up in one of my college modules. Aparantly it is not only confined to active musicians. There are some synesthetic people who see colours from just listening to music, so it is not limited to actually playing. I remember studying a film-maker worked with a synesthete to create synesthetic music videos. He used the other man's descriptions of what he was seeing to match up images and colours with the music in film format. It was fascinating!

Of course, I can't for the life of me remember what his name was.....

Sounds fascinating! You are right, I see things when I listen to music sometimes..for example when I close my eyes and listen I can sort of float off and see images and colours.
I once was listening to Chopin and had my eyes closed and then saw him in my minds eye playing his piano very clearly! It was great!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission