Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1960887 - 09/18/12 10:08 PM Advice on Piano Parties
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
I got the idea of regular piano parties from this forum, mentioned it to a pianist friend, and it looks like we already have about seven enthusiastic people interested. It also looks like I'll be leading them, at least at the start.

So, any advice on how to run these?

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

Piano & Music Accessories
#1960927 - 09/18/12 11:28 PM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I've never been to a piano party. I do regularly attend Songmakers hoots in Southern California. The Songmakers format is a song circle with each person taking a turn. No alcohol at official events. Event is four hours with a break after two hours. Light refreshments are served and there is a donation basket to help defray the cost. One or two others bring food, but it is not a potluck format.

For piano it is not so easy as guitar oriented groups. If you want to get a lot more people, Meetup.com is one way (cost $12 a month to be an event organizer). From the forum, I've heard of Meetup piano groups in Long Beach, CA and Montreal, QC.

If I were doing it, I would contact everyone and see if they wanted to perform. Depending on the level of the participants, I might have everyone take at least one turn and suggest they each prepare a short piece of 1 to 5 minutes. Maybe have two of the more advanced people be featured performers with longer pieces (10 to 15 minutes). With eight people that makes for about a 90 minute event. There are often transitions, story, questions, introductions, jokes, so schedule 50% to 100% more time than the timed pieces might run on a CD.

I'd do it every other month or every three months to start. That will let others that attend host the other months if they want a different format.

One problem is those that want to play but not listen, or want to always be featured performer, or feel the need to criticize or correct the others. It can make for awkward situations.

At Songmakers it is informal, the songs tend to be two minutes long, with only a few going longer. Plenty of people show up late, and/or leave early.

Too many rules can make for a sterile environment. Too few, and it can be chaos, with those with the biggest egos hogging the spotlight and the agenda. Some folks can be opinionated, and controlling, so be prepared for some flak. It is another reason for the no alcohol rule at Songmakers, because drinking can make an unpleasant situation turn ugly or even violent. Unpleasantness is unlikely at the first meeting, but as groups go on, and people get different ideas, petty feuds and grudges are common in small groups.

#1960946 - 09/19/12 01:19 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I've only been to two - in Denver (there's been more parties than that, but I could make two.)

There's usually 5 or 6 piano players, + spouses and friends, and it's really informal. So much so that sometimes most of us are in the kitchen eating while someone is playing laugh That does not, however, mean you can get away with anything while you play laugh

People just sit down and play any time they feel like it, and for however long they want to play. And there's often some discussion when someone's done about what they've played, or how they do something cool, or what technical kinds of things they're working on, and ideas about how to approach it. It's a great cooperation feel.

At one I went to we had a guest artiste who played a short concert for us, and I think that was true at one I didn't make, too. But at the last one it was just us Piano World Forumers playing.

We had every kind of genre - classical, jazz, pop, a couple of wonderful improvers (hi, Inlanding!), my 1940's stuff, whatever.

Some friends of mine are in one in Los Alamos and I think it's similar, tho they may not all be in the kitchen while someone plays laugh . But they meet fairly regularly - once a month? - and not everyone has something ready to play. But still an informal let's-get-together-and-play-piano rather than a concert/performance kind of thing.

I suspect they are anything the participants want them to be. I just met another PWer who has been to a couple bigger ones that are pot lucks after the playing. We may have one here in Santa Fe.

So there's another approach, any way.

Cathy

Edited by jotur (09/19/12 01:23 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling. sigh.

#1962364 - 09/22/12 12:53 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
yamahaha Offline

Loc: Monterey Bay area
I belong to a group that meets once a month. There are seven of us, we've been meeting for about six years. We meet in the afternoon, take turns at each others homes. Whoever hosts fixes tea or coffee and a light snack. We have become dear friends to each other over the years, so we usually talk about whatever is happening in our lives for a while. Then we play. We are always quiet while someone is playing, we then talk about the music and the issues we have playing it. Then the next person plays. We usually spend about 2 1/2 hrs. Its fun, its inspiring, we learn stuff from each other. And it keeps us engaged in playing. Its become very special to us all.

#1963233 - 09/23/12 03:45 PM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks guys! Our first meeting is this Thursday. I'm the only male so far.

#1965700 - 09/28/12 10:18 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

The first party was quite a success. Six women and me. There are more piano addicts out there than I realized. We had many different backgrounds and levels. We've scheduled the next one for next month.

#1965706 - 09/28/12 10:31 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Great to hear. Did you actually play some two piano duets, like you were asking about in the other thread? I get such a kick out of stuff like this. Thanks for reporting back.

Cathy

#1965720 - 09/28/12 11:06 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: jotur]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Great to hear. Did you actually play some two piano duets, like you were asking about in the other thread? I get such a kick out of stuff like this. Thanks for reporting back.

Cathy

Yes, I did. The host had a Yamaha upright and a Casio Privia. The tune that worked best was a simple blues. She played a boogie-woogie bassline while I improvised, then I played a walking bassline while she played around.

Also, there was another player who had worked out a very nice chord progression, all in C, and she played that while I showed her how one could add an improvised line.

That woman was just starting with jazz, but had a great ear, and had been working out "Summer Samba" from a recording (including the chords).

#1965739 - 09/28/12 11:40 AM Re: Advice on Piano Parties [Re: TromboneAl]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I love it. And I love it that you guys "talked piano" and not just performed. That's one of the things I like about the Denver piano parties, too - that chance to delve into some of techniques and share ideas.

Hope the next one goes well, too.

Cathy

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (Beemer, adanepst, AZNpiano, ando, Atrys, angga888, 15 invisible), 1323 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249675 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
04/17/14 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
04/17/14 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission