Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1965250 - 09/27/12 12:04 PM Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED)
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Yesterday I accepted delivery of a brand spanking new Yamaha C3X! The obligatory photos will be posted next week. (I traded the N3. What a difference!) The C3X is wonderful to play, both in tone and touch. We are going to be great friends!

The C3X was setup by Paul Gilchrist, a top notch piano tech.

I plan to do some recordings, but need to first invest in some appropriate recording gear, and for some reason my bank balance is presently low!

Lawrence

Edited by Melodialworks Music (10/04/12 10:10 AM)
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1965253 - 09/27/12 12:09 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
if it's anything like the c3xa you are a very lucky man -- congrats.

#1965259 - 09/27/12 12:20 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, it's a lot better than the C3XA, in my opinion.

#1965282 - 09/27/12 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

Now that you have it home - I know you posted on this subject before but I am curious;

In what way do you think it is better than the C3XA and...

do you get the feeling that Yamaha is kind of trying to make this particular model somewhat of a "Bosendorfer junior" - if you get my drift? The "orange" plate color - the non-spade "European style" legs, etc etc

Is the tone more like a Bosie?

I was very impressed with the C3XA and actually went back to see it again to confirm my first impressions. Which I did.

Thanks.

#1965620 - 09/28/12 04:48 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I haven't played the C3X, but I've tried the XA and the CFX. I don't think Yamaha are trying to sound like a junior Bosendorfer. The construction is so different it couldn't possibly sound the same, also the look is more futuristic than the Bosendorfer.

I think with both brands, Yamaha can cater for most tastes, so why not have both types of piano? makes sense to me.

Just my 2cents.

#1965727 - 09/28/12 11:18 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Lawrence:

I already congratulated you already by pm before, let me do it here one more time!

May you enjoy this fine piano for long time!

Norbert smile

#1965740 - 09/28/12 11:41 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Furtwangler]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Furtwangler

Now that you have it home - I know you posted on this subject before but I am curious;

In what way do you think it is better than the C3XA and...

do you get the feeling that Yamaha is kind of trying to make this particular model somewhat of a "Bosendorfer junior" - if you get my drift? The "orange" plate color - the non-spade "European style" legs, etc etc

Is the tone more like a Bosie?

I was very impressed with the C3XA and actually went back to see it again to confirm my first impressions. Which I did.

Thanks.

I only played one CXA, and it seemed more like a chamber instrument. It lacked power. However, this could be the way it was setup, since others have reported something different than this. It was warmer than the C3, but the difference wasn't that great, and certainly the premium price was a challenge. The C3XA was going to cost me 25% more, on my trade-in deal. The hammers on the XA are, in my opinion, too soft. I also did not like the holes in the music desk, or the "XA Class" stencilled on it. For me, the playability wasn't superb. I had to work harder to produce tone on it, than the C3 or C3X.

I like the more modern look of the C3X. It plays WAY better than the C3XA (at least for my style).

I'm not familiar enough with Bosendorfer to comment, but certainly suspect that there has been influence. Why buy all of that expertise and experience and ignore it?

I can say that the C3X I played, beside a C3 that I HAD quite liked was quite revealing. The tone on the C3X was superior, a warmer and more rounded sound, and did not thin out when played more aggressively. The action, to, superior on the C3X.

I've heard it said that dealers will have a challenge selling a C3 sitting next to a C3X. My experience supports that position.

I did not get the opportunity to play C3, C3XA and C3X together in the same room at the same time. (When the C3X arrived, the C3XA had been moved to another store).

#1965765 - 09/28/12 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm not familiar enough with Bosendorfer to comment, but certainly suspect that there has been influence. Why buy all of that expertise and experience and ignore it?
Oooh...don't expect Yamaha's designers to take that view.

Congrats on your new instrument. I look forward to seeing those when they get here or at least at NAMM.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1965779 - 09/28/12 12:58 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations on your new beautiful Yamaha piano! I can't wait to see the pictures.

There's lots of time to build your new relationsfofohip while you save up for the recording equipment!

I wish you many happy years with your new piano.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1966516 - 09/29/12 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
So I'm guessing you're not spending too much time reading any more with that big beautiful piano in your house!!congratulations!! Any other impressions you want to share?

#1966523 - 09/29/12 08:44 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I am surprised that Yamaha has already issued another model based on the C series when they only recently brought out the XA pianos. I did not get a chance to play any of the new X series, but I liked the XA, contrary to some other posters here. Unlike the regular Yamahas, I thought it less bright, and more pleasant to the ear a well as having a solid, but very playable touch. It was quite a bit more money than the regular C series, as I remember, but seemed worth it.

#1966538 - 09/29/12 09:14 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Chopinlover49]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
As it turned out, the XA were a prototype for the CX series. Moving forward, there will be no more C-series, nor XA; just the CX from now on.

#1966554 - 09/29/12 10:15 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
Congratulations Melodialworks, can't wait to see the pictures!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1966594 - 09/29/12 11:44 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: ZoeCalgary]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
So I'm guessing you're not spending too much time reading any more with that big beautiful piano in your house!!congratulations!! Any other impressions you want to share?

I'm reading, a Pianoworld addict, after all. This has been an extra busy week for me with extra rehearsals, performances etc. Starting Monday I will be able to spend quality time with the new instrument. I'll share further impressions then. Suffice it to say, at this point, that I am truly enjoying the instrument, given the limited time this week.

#1966598 - 09/29/12 11:54 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
As it turned out, the XA were a prototype for the CX series. Moving forward, there will be no more C-series, nor XA; just the CX from now on.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. My impression is that Yamaha considers all of these instruments, C, CXA, and CX as Cs. There have been others as well, such as CM.

Why do I say this?

The serial number. The C3 is large letters that are raised, a moulded part of the frame. Following that there is a space, then X, then another space, and then the digits. (When I checked the s/n for the C3XA, it was the same format.

So, my instruments is a C3, version X. (I believe the previous "standard" C3 was actually a C3M.

#1966600 - 09/29/12 11:58 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Chopinlover49]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
I am surprised that Yamaha has already issued another model based on the C series when they only recently brought out the XA pianos.

The XA models are confusing. They were only available in two sizes: C3XA and C6XA, and marketed as "limited edition model".

#1966610 - 09/30/12 12:18 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan - On October 12, 2012 (Friday), Yamaha Corporation will make a worldwide launch of a new series of acoustic grand pianos, the CX Series, which will replace its premium quality "C Series" pianos.

I think the news release does say the CX Series is replacing the C Series. That means no more C series, just CX series from now on; unless the CX series will be call the new C series again once the C(M) are gone, in which case, the C series will still be there. The king is dead. Long live the king. The store manager was confused too, so he called the NA distributor to confirm. Apparently, Yamaha has stopped production of the C3(M), C5(M), etc.

So he asked the question of if the C(M) aren't made, and the new C is the CX, then why even bother to keep making the S series? This is sort of the store manager's opinion of how good the new CX is. No answers from the NA distributor.

My own guess, and this is my guess completely, is that Yamaha isn't actually making any S series, just that they have lots of them in inventory, and it takes forever to sell one of those.

#1966853 - 09/30/12 02:36 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

My own guess, and this is my guess completely, is that Yamaha isn't actually making any S series, just that they have lots of them in inventory, and it takes forever to sell one of those.

I'm not surprised they can't move the S series, they must be very pricey and nobody stocks them! I've been to heaps of Yamaha dealers and never seen an S - even though they might have the CFX there. So I think it's quite likely that they are not being actively promoted anymore and that they are, as you say, surplus stock that is available on request.

#1966860 - 09/30/12 02:50 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, I don't think that's correct. My impression is that Yamaha considers all of these instruments, C, CXA, and CX as Cs. There have been others as well, such as CM.

Why do I say this?

The serial number. The C3 is large letters that are raised, a moulded part of the frame. Following that there is a space, then X, then another space, and then the digits. (When I checked the s/n for the C3XA, it was the same format.

So, my instruments is a C3, version X. (I believe the previous "standard" C3 was actually a C3M.

Here is a photo of the s/n of my C3X. Notice that the C3 is part of the frame, in fact raised up. You would think the raised large letters should read C3X . . . . .

From this I conclude that this is a C3, version X. However, the X version is certainly a major development over previous C series!

Attachments
serial_number.jpg

Edited by Melodialworks Music (09/30/12 02:56 PM)
Edit Reason: Not sure why "Attachments" is displayed, showing a broken link. I only wanted the image of the s/n displayed.

#1966934 - 09/30/12 05:03 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
It seems a little confusing. Maybe Yamaha is still working out the concepts.

#1966940 - 09/30/12 05:10 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Why do I say this?

Here is a photo of the s/n of my C3X. Notice that the C3 is part of the frame, in fact raised up. You would think the raised large letters should read C3X . . . . .

From this I conclude that this is a C3, version X. However, the X version is certainly a major development over previous C series!

It makes sense if they are still using the old C3 plate but the soundboard and other areas of construction are different. I think the X at the start of the serial number will become the sought-after feature.

#1966957 - 09/30/12 05:32 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: ando]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando

It makes sense if they are still using the old C3 plate but the soundboard and other areas of construction are different.

That's a real possibility, now that I think about it. I've been saying frame, but plate is probably the correct technical term.

Originally Posted By: ando

I think the X at the start of the serial number will become the sought-after feature.

Agreed! I predict that the CX series will be a great success.

#1967005 - 09/30/12 06:32 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just found a photo of a C1L and it has the L in front of the serial number. I have not noticed that before. Does all the current C series says M in front of the serial number?

#1968483 - 10/04/12 12:30 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
1000 Post Club Member

I'm loving my new Yamaha C3X! It has a rich, warm sound, that is very clear. Plenty of resonance, more than the C3 I think. Huge bass. Every time I start playing when my wife is around, she comments about how good the tone is - and she rarely makes that type of observation.

The action is really flawless and even throughout and not tiring to play. I do get the occasional ghost note, but don't know if that's me playing too softly or the action needing adjustment. I'll ask the piano tech when he comes in one or two months to work on the piano. It takes very little effort to get volume out of it. In fact, the default is to need to hold back. The treble is gorgeous when played soft to medium, but gets a wee bit strident when played loudly. There are not really any notes resonating annoyingly except a few when you get really loud, which I typically don't do a lot of. The piano tech will be able to deal with these.

I've kept the N3 bench, swapping the standard bench that comes with the C3X. The N3 bench is actually quite a good adjustable bench - solid, silent and the bonus of some storage space. It also looks good, well matched to the modern style of the piano legs.

A friend was over this afternoon and played and took some photos. We also did a quick Zoom recording just before he left. (He has yet to send me the files). His comment was that before this Yamaha didn't make fine pianos, but now they do. That's a strong compliment coming from him, since he has not typically been a Yamaha fan.

I've experimented with the lid positions. Short stick seems to work best, although frankly full stick and even closed work as well. My friend took some photos with full stick, short stick, and also with the music rack removed. I'll upload the photos, when I receive them. He uses a high-end camera, but then needs to fiddle with the photos before releasing them. Me? I just aim my iPhone. Different strokes.

I'll also post a link to the audio file when I get it, if it's not hideous. He stood in the middle of the room and recorded from there. I doubt it will have captured anything significant.

So, no buyer remorse. It's a loud piano (at least in my room) but easily controlled. I can play softly in any register. A joy to play. My friend really liked it, and was appropriately jealous. (This was my first opportunity to hear it played by someone else in my home).

The C3X is wonderful instrument. I'm looking forward to it being even better when the piano tech voices it for the room, and my playing style.

Lawrence

#1968505 - 10/04/12 01:34 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Again congratulations Lawrence. I'm really happy for you man... thumb

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2

#1968607 - 10/04/12 10:10 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED) [Re: Melodialworks Music]
1000 Post Club Member

Here are the photos of my Yamaha C3X.

#1968628 - 10/04/12 10:46 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED) [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Let me be the first to say that it looks stunning! If I ever come up to Canada I want a turn on that. Please? laugh

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1968636 - 10/04/12 11:02 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED) [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
very nice. hope the fireplace isn't a problem. i can see why the piano would sound loud in that room; similar acoustics as the gent's room who purchased the C6; not much there to absorb the sound.

#1968650 - 10/04/12 11:27 AM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED) [Re: Melodialworks Music]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Terrific photos. I know nothing about photography but they seem to be some of the nicest home piano photos I remember seeing at PW. Of course, it doesn't hurt that your home is quite spectacular and beautiful.

What are the dimensions of the room housing the piano and the organ? It looks almost as big as my "two bedroom" apartment in Manhattan.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/04/12 11:32 AM)

#1968667 - 10/04/12 12:16 PM Re: Yamaha C3X Delivered! (PHOTOS ADDED) [Re: Entheo]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Entheo
very nice. hope the fireplace isn't a problem. i can see why the piano would sound loud in that room; similar acoustics as the gent's room who purchased the C6; not much there to absorb the sound.

The gas to the fireplace has been turned off. Also, the floor register by the piano has been blocked off. I close the window shutters in the morning, when the sun is on that side of the house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (AndrewAJC, beeboss, Al LaPorte, ando, bennevis, Bigvalbio, 20 invisible), 1121 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155805 Topics
2287786 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keeping a digital piano in storage - worth it?
by hexentanz
Today at 05:22 AM
Personal monitors
by Tim K
Today at 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
Today at 12:36 AM
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission