2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 109 of 190 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, beenlookin! It sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on finding your new piano.

I took a break from Christmas music to get back to "Mexican Hat Dance". It's coming along really well considering the lack of attention I've given it. And I like it better than the other Mexican pieces so far.

It's pouring rain, nasty and windy this moring, and I'm missing church and brunch with my son to stay warm and dry at home, so I should get in lots of practice today.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Hey, new here. I've been playing piano for a year now. I finished with the first Alfred AIO book and I'm about 2/3 done with book 2. I'm on "Theme from Musetta's Waltz".

I was wondering if anyone else also plays other pieces from other books while working with the all in one books? I have a few books for easy piano that I work with. I was thinking about trying the Alfred's Masterwork Classic books. Has anyone else tried those? If so, would you recommend them?

E
E
Hi, Danny84 and welcome! I finished up Alfred's Adult book 1 in August and started AIO 2 then promptly got bored with the selections and ended up buying Masterwork Classics
Volumes 1-2 through Vol 6. I really enjoy the Masterworks Classics and I've done about 80% of Vol 1-2 (a single book) and started on a couple of Vol 3 pieces. The series is excellent and the CD's that come with each book are nicely done with just a piano, unlike the mess on the CD versions for the Adult AIO books with their cheesy accompanyment! crazy

Treat yourself to a couple of those MC books! The fact that you've gotten so far through AIO 2 has earned you my "undying admiration"! grin I played around with Overture from Raymond the other night and it went so much better than the first time around. I'll probably return to AIO 2 after I finish Masterworks Classics Vol 3. By then, my musical skills will allow me to "quickly" get through some of the "less enchanting pieces" in AIO 2! grin

Last edited by Emissary52; 12/18/10 03:15 AM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Danny84! I highly recommend the Masterwork Classics too. I've only worked through the first 5 pieces in the level 1-2, which are very easy, but I've listened to the CD while following the rest of the book, and there are some really nice pieces there.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Hey thanks guys. I think I will get the Masterwork Classics. I just think I need more pieces to try out before finishing up with AIO book 2 and going on to AIO book 3.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Hello, everyone! I'm new posting here, though I've been lurking from time to time.

A few bits of information. I started playing in January 2010 using the Alfred's AIO series. I don't have a teacher (but should). I'm on "Night Song" in Book 2 of the Alfred's AIO book. This is a fun one to play. There have been a couple of pieces that I just didn't like that I passed on after playing them a few times (La Bamba was one) but by and large I'm trying to do justice to each piece because, well, I'm learning to play.

My husband is also playing piano. Unlike me, he had lessons as a child and I think everything he learned some 40 years ago has come back to him--he's playing original versions of ragtime pieces now.

At any rate, I'm enjoying playing. No better feeling than having something click and start sounding like honest to gosh music!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
By the way, does anyone know who the composer of "Night Song" is? I did a web search but didn't come up with anything. strange that the book doesn't say anything about the source.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Hello, everyone! I'm new posting here, though I've been lurking from time to time.

A few bits of information. I started playing in January 2010 using the Alfred's AIO series. I don't have a teacher (but should). I'm on "Night Song" in Book 2 of the Alfred's AIO book. This is a fun one to play. There have been a couple of pieces that I just didn't like that I passed on after playing them a few times (La Bamba was one) but by and large I'm trying to do justice to each piece because, well, I'm learning to play.

My husband is also playing piano. Unlike me, he had lessons as a child and I think everything he learned some 40 years ago has come back to him--he's playing original versions of ragtime pieces now.

At any rate, I'm enjoying playing. No better feeling than having something click and start sounding like honest to gosh music!

I did the same thing when i got to la bamba. I mean i played it, but not to perfection and kind of skipped over it. It's a horrible arrangement in my opinion. That's the only piece so far that I really didn't pay much mind to because it was getting me so frustrated haha.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
D
D
I just downloaded the Basic book 2 (not the all in one) to get the pieces that are not in the All-In-One book 2. Does anyone know if the basic book 1 has any extra songs that the All-In-One book 1 doesnt have? Or is it just with Book 2?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Danny84
I just downloaded the Basic book 2 (not the all in one) to get the pieces that are not in the All-In-One book 2. Does anyone know if the basic book 1 has any extra songs that the All-In-One book 1 doesnt have? Or is it just with Book 2?

Don't quote me on it. But I believe it's just book 2. Because the AIO book 1 has a lot more songs and material covered than the basic version. I checked out the table of contents on amazon.com and their pretty similar give or take a couple songs. But they are all slightly different, mainly the pieces taught. Check amazon.com, they let you preview books and you can check out the table of contents.

Last edited by joeb84; 12/19/10 08:32 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
I work on a lot of other material outside of Alfreds. When I went through book #1, I probably worked 75% out of Alfred and 25% out of other books. Now with book #2, I'm doing about 25% Alfred and 75% elsewhere.

I've done probably half of the Masterworks book. At one point I hated it. Now I'm loving it.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GracieCat
I work on a lot of other material outside of Alfreds. When I went through book #1, I probably worked 75% out of Alfred and 25% out of other books. Now with book #2, I'm doing about 25% Alfred and 75% elsewhere.

I've done probably half of the Masterworks book. At one point I hated it. Now I'm loving it.

That's about what I've been doing lately, 25% Alfred and 75% other things.

I've listened to the CD from the Masterwork book, and there are a couple that I really like and can't wait to get to. I'm working my way up to them.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hi Danny

I recently got a book of gospel songs rated early intermediate. I've been working on one song from this book just to keep me from going Alfred crazy. Don't get me wrong, I actually like a lot of the Alfred's but I think it's nice to have something to break up the scales & Alfred. My teacher encouraged me to work on it as well.

I'm currently working on Brahms Lullaby and I think it's Lonesome Road?

Happy Holidays!

1985 Japanese (2 pedal) Yamaha G2
D
D
Good stuff beenlookin, Brahms lullaby wasn't too hard and its a nice song once you learn it. Lonesome road wasn't too hard either. Good luck with those!

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Had a good practice session today. Some days nuthin' goes right and the best thing to do is put it aside for awhile and come back later. Today's practice was mostly Lullaby, Night Song, and Hava Nagila. Night Song is going well (IMO) and I really enjoy playing and hearing it. Lullaby was hard for me to get the timing right in the first full measure. Seems like it's coming together a little more now that I have the tempo more up to speed.

Hava Nagila has me wondering if I need to do some hand exercises. That left hand is a workout! I haven't been doing scales or anything else that would build up my strength, so have no one but myself to blame!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

--Stubbie

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tomorrow, Christmas Day, I will play some of my Christmas pieces for my grandkids, and they will play some for me. After tomorrow, I will be hitting Book 2 with renewed energy and focus.

Happy playing, everyone!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Now that the holidays are over, I thought I'd check in. Currently working on...

Village Dance. I've got the song but need to work on the technique.
Hokey Pokey. Just getting going on this one.
Jacob's Ladder (Not in book)
Scales, scales, scales!

I hope everyone had a great holiday and is moving forward with their practicing.

1985 Japanese (2 pedal) Yamaha G2
I was thinking the same thing beenlookin...time to check in.

I've put the Christmas book away until next year. I've spent the last week reviewing all the pieces in Alfred's #2 book to see how far I technically am. I've had to stop at Alexanders Ragtime Band. I've made some progress on it, but it still needs some work.

I'm planning on calling a new piano teacher this coming week for a few months worth of lessons. I did buy a digital piano before Christmas. It's been great to be able to practice when the kids are in bed or watching TV.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Christmas books put away here too. I'm reviewing "Mexican Hat Dance" and working on two pieces from my Faber Adult Book, and 2 pieces from the Masterwork Classics book.

Good luck with your teacher search, GracieCat.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
All my Christmas stuff is put away too.

Finished up Solace at my last lesson

I'm currently smoothing out La Raspa, still plugging away at La Bamba but making good progress on it, and am working on My Heart Will Go On from Greatest Hits 2.

Hope you find a good teacher GracieCat.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 109 of 190 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission