Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 44 of 100 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1231592 - 07/14/09 06:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: 4evrBeginR]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Like Waltz said, some songs took me a couple of days, roughly 3-5 sittings, each for about 30-45 minutes. Some other songs like Solace and La Bamba I just get stuck and go for something else. I would say, on average, it takes me a total of 5 hours spread over a few days to play well the "average" book 2 song. That's my best guess.

The thing is that if the piece looks reasonable to you, and you got the essence of the song, and you like it, you should be able to do it rather fast. There is no way to feel that way with all the songs in book 2, though. These particular pieces seemed easy for me:

Guantanamera, Light and Blue, Hungarian Rhapsody #2 , Scherzo, Waves of the Danube, Sakura, Village Dance, Brahms's Lullaby, The Riddle, Black Forest Polka, and Hava Nagila...at least these are the ones I remember now.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1231618 - 07/14/09 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
MIM, did you learn Danny Boy?

It's pretty tough so far

#1231623 - 07/14/09 07:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nope,looked at it and tried it a little bit but pushed it aside!
I know I'm gonna do them all soon, no doubt about that.

#1232286 - 07/16/09 12:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Music-in_me
Like Waltz said, some songs took me a couple of days, roughly 3-5 sittings, each for about 30-45 minutes. Some other songs like Solace and La Bamba I just get stuck and go for something else. I would say, on average, it takes me a total of 5 hours spread over a few days to play well the "average" book 2 song. That's my best guess.

The thing is that if the piece looks reasonable to you, and you got the essence of the song, and you like it, you should be able to do it rather fast. There is no way to feel that way with all the songs in book 2, though. These particular pieces seemed easy for me:

Guantanamera, Light and Blue, Hungarian Rhapsody #2 , Scherzo, Waves of the Danube, Sakura, Village Dance, Brahms's Lullaby, The Riddle, Black Forest Polka, and Hava Nagila...at least these are the ones I remember now.

That helps, thanks. I also started doing as Waltz suggests, playing each one longer at each sitting. Instead of playing a song a few times then come back the next day, I am now playing it 30 minutes in one sitting for the same song. That's working.

BTW, I didn't care for a lot of songs so far in book 2. I had a hard time liking Guantanamera. Had to literally force myself to learn it. Hungarian Rhapsody #2 was ok.

#1232337 - 07/16/09 04:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: 4evrBeginR]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

4ever, listen to the actual song (Guantanamera) or a good recording of it, I think you will like it..check on YouTube. Of course people have different tastes.

#1232355 - 07/16/09 07:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok,here is me doing Guantanamera. This is the first test of uploading and checking the quality of both my playing and the recordi Alfred Book 2 Practice ng. Comments? blush

#1232526 - 07/16/09 02:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

MIM, great job laugh
. You sounded very comfortable playing that, you really nailed it

#1232527 - 07/16/09 02:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aria from the Marriage of Figaro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfg_gcxBPEM

Still progressing through Danny Boy
For anyone that's played it: on the second page, the fingering 4-1-4 for the left hand, that feels like crap, anyone agree?

#1232587 - 07/16/09 05:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

haven't tried it yet, but sounded good to my ear.

#1232601 - 07/16/09 05:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks MIM smile ,

For the question, I meant it for Danny Boy. On the second page there is a measure that has the LH playing (if I can remember) Ab-G-F Using 4-1-4. I see they did it so the 5 finger will be conveniently placed to play the upcoming Eb, but still, it feels awkward for me.

#1232605 - 07/16/09 05:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haven't done Danny Boy either, but I agree,I would use finger 3 on E flat..It's not too much of a stretch to play E flat with finger 3 then finger 2 on B flat. It's also consistent with the scale fingering for E flat.

#1232622 - 07/16/09 06:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Waltz, how did you do on Alexander's Rag Time?

#1232642 - 07/16/09 07:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's been a while back, but I remember the first page being fairly easy, while the second being tricky and difficult. I didn't start recording my performances until Calypso Carnival, so I don't have a video of how I played it. To be honest, I didn't Like ARB that much. Are you working on that now?

#1232662 - 07/16/09 08:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm going back from the beginning and working on all the songs that I played or skipped before. Alexander's Rag Time is such one. The song is not bad, upbeat and lively, but it is moderately hard to play.

#1232734 - 07/16/09 11:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok,here is me doing Guantanamera. This is the first test of uploading and checking the quality of both my playing and the recordi Alfred Book 2 Practice ng. Comments? blush

Good! I pretty much have managed a similar rendition. If you really want some comment, I would say, the tempo in the second to last measure (scale part) is too hurried - keep it nice and even like the rest of the music before. Great job.

#1232737 - 07/17/09 12:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Waltz
It's been a while back, but I remember the first page being fairly easy, while the second being tricky and difficult. I didn't start recording my performances until Calypso Carnival, so I don't have a video of how I played it. To be honest, I didn't Like ARB that much. Are you working on that now?

I don't like ARB either. I spent a week on Solace (a mexican serenade), but after Solace, I seriously dislike La Bamba, La Raspa, Mexican Hat Dance, The Streets of Laredo. This stuff is driving me crazy. I decided to do something I didn't want to do when I started this book, skip forward. Last night, I spend half an hour on Divertimento in D. I am much happier now. I thought I was going to abandon this book, but Brahm's Lullaby is lovely, and the music from Divertimento on looks all right, so if I stick with the classical pieces, I'll be fine.

#1232743 - 07/17/09 12:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's great Waltz. You didn't make any mistakes. Good job! Now for the second musical idea in measure 5, you need to cresendo; one louder then the next from f maybe to ff by the third one, then drop back to p for the reprise of the initial musical idea. Go heavier on the first note of the measure 2, and every third note, like a dance. In measure 9, your 16th notes are off, should be a bit faster. Finally use a metronome and speed yourself up a little at a time until the whole thing is 50% faster from your current tempo, it would then be perfect!

#1232810 - 07/17/09 06:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: 4evrBeginR]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great comments 4ever. By the way, it takes a while to record one of these pieces, especially when you haven't mastered them completely, as you have to stop here and there and go back from beginning every time. It would be nice to record it section by section and then combine them! Is that possible? Ot is that cheating?

#1232965 - 07/17/09 01:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR

That's great Waltz. You didn't make any mistakes. Good job! Now for the second musical idea in measure 5, you need to cresendo; one louder then the next from f maybe to ff by the third one, then drop back to p for the reprise of the initial musical idea. Go heavier on the first note of the measure 2, and every third note, like a dance. In measure 9, your 16th notes are off, should be a bit faster. Finally use a metronome and speed yourself up a little at a time until the whole thing is 50% faster from your current tempo, it would then be perfect!

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the 16th notes: pianonoodalexman had them being much faster, and he generally plays as by the recordings on the cd, as opposed to as written (generally). I don't really think mine are "off", but they could be played faster I suppose, but I didn't feel it necessary. I am certainly not playing them as 8th notes...

#1233055 - 07/17/09 05:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great comments 4ever. By the way, it takes a while to record one of these pieces, especially when you haven't mastered them completely, as you have to stop here and there and go back from beginning every time. It would be nice to record it section by section and then combine them! Is that possible? Ot is that cheating?

I have often pondered this. I then considered various scenarios and their ramifications. My ultimate conclusion was this:

Could I play, individually, every measure of the Revolutionary Etude? The answer is probably yes! Could I even come close to playing them together? Absolutely not. I probably couldn't even string two or three measures together. This is at one end of the extreme. The other end could be argued as well. Pieces that have many repeats are an example of. . . is it really necessary to repeat this page 3 times, without error, to feel I've mastered the piece? No, I wouldn't think so at least. If you can do it once, you can do it thrice. Precision comes with time, not learning.

#1233070 - 07/17/09 05:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

For some inspiration on how to play ARB check out this guy. One day I'll be able to play like that...doesn't matter if you like this kind of music or not, it's the style and ease of playing that gets you with this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLreM3gs6N4&feature=related

#1233077 - 07/17/09 06:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Who's your favorite player?

My intermediate goal is to play Ballad Pour Adeline. I like Clayderman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JaHNMoVjpo

#1233086 - 07/17/09 06:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't really have a favorite player, but I did really enjoy watching the performance of Clayderman. That's a nice song

#1233089 - 07/17/09 06:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is the song that made him popular some 20 years ago. It has some of Beethoven's Fur Elise style and technique I think.

#1233103 - 07/17/09 07:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wonder who Adeline is. . .

#1233113 - 07/17/09 08:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

play that well and you'll get your own Adeline.:-)

#1233122 - 07/17/09 08:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You shouldn't stop when you are recording. Just plan on recording yourself playing the same thing many times in one session. You may need several sessions. It's all normal.

There is a limit to how many edits you could do for one piece before the flow seems all wrong. Some pros say 3 is max, others say 5. It is really up to the artist. Obviously pros are very critical, so they are often editing not for mistakes but for feel, interpretation, but certainly for mistakes as well.

I've read comments from professional pianists about how they would play the same piece from beginning to end several time for the recording engineer. They say 5 times is the minimum to choose something good; 7 to 8 times is common. When they like the intro from the first one but the middel from the 3rd one and ending of the 4th one, they splice them together. One pianist say that he doesn't like to splice where there isn't a natural pause in the music, so he would replay certain part again for the recording. This is standard practice for an audio recording.

When it comes to video this is why the pros use at least 3 cameras. More camera angles allows them to splice different sections together while switching to the view of another camera and the audience just think it was intentional.

Many Youtube videos are often "live" performances. People use one camera, which does not allow them to make edits without it becoming really obvious an edit was made. Most music videos are not live though. They shoot the video without recording the sound.

Live performances always have mistakes. That's why if you say here's a recording of my live performance, your listener will automatically understand you've done no edits, and well mistakes are part of being human.

#1233124 - 07/17/09 08:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have often pondered this. I then considered various scenarios and their ramifications. My ultimate conclusion was this:

Could I play, individually, every measure of the Revolutionary Etude? The answer is probably yes! Could I even come close to playing them together? Absolutely not. I probably couldn't even string two or three measures together. This is at one end of the extreme. The other end could be argued as well. Pieces that have many repeats are an example of. . . is it really necessary to repeat this page 3 times, without error, to feel I've mastered the piece? No, I wouldn't think so at least. If you can do it once, you can do it thrice. Precision comes with time, not learning.

When studio recording first came out, the purest were all up in arms about how that's not real because in the studio, the artist cheats with impunity. That's why even today, the ultimate measure of someone's ability is still in front of a live audience. This is also why my kids piano teacher makes every child give recitals even if all they could play was Old MacDonald Had a Farm using just the black keys.

If you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo82ipPkTRY&feature=related, you'll notice that not only did the then much younger Li win the competition, but he won despite making lots of mistakes! No one is perfect.

#1233223 - 07/18/09 04:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the 16th notes: pianonoodalexman had them being much faster, and he generally plays as by the recordings on the cd, as opposed to as written (generally). I don't really think mine are "off", but they could be played faster I suppose, but I didn't feel it necessary. I am certainly not playing them as 8th notes...

Hmm... I haven't seen others version this... never heard the Alfred CD either. However, I've heard the actual Marriage of Figaro opera many many many times. It's wonderful.

So far, everything I've played in both books I know well. I mean not that I know how to play them, but I've heard them in their original form somewhere (except for the stuff written by Palmer), most if not all of them were not composed for the piano. For instance, Guantanamera was a huge hit song on the radio when I was a kid; must have been 40 years ago. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. In book 3, in the ambitious section, everything there were originally composed for the piano.

#1233230 - 07/18/09 05:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wonder who Adeline is. . .

This song brings back memories of the 70's for sure. Adeline was the daughter of composer Paul de Senneville who wrote this nice little song. He ask a bunch of pianists to audition to record the song, and one of them was young Richard Clayderman, whom Senneville picked. Millions of singles sales later, Clayderman was forever associated with the song.

In the 70's there was a huge wave of light-weight classical music including Clayderman and Paul Mauriat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfkIWnThTB4
My parents had these LP's playing all the time at home.

Page 44 of 100 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (a-z0-9, AimeeO, 25 invisible), 1279 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156146 Topics
2293061 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
41 minutes 16 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission