Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1964442 - 09/25/12 07:09 PM Love my new Yamaha P105
Yamaha p-105b Offline

Loc: Far Far Away
Hi, this is my first time posting, but i have been a regular at this site for a while.

A few weeks ago i was in the market for a DP and narrowed down the chocies to the Casio PX 130 and the Yamaha P95.

While doing some research on the Yamaha P95, i found out that the P105 was coming out and that it is an upgrade over the P95.

Well, I paid an extra $100 and pre-ordered the P105 for $600. It came a week ago and have been playing it non stop.

The grand piano sound is ok through the speakers, great through ear phones and awesome when hooked up to an amp. The Grand Piano 2 voicing is "brighter" than GP1 but still decent.

The other 4 piano voicings are variations of an electronic piano. I dont really care for them as I only wanted a good GP sound.

The keys are heavy to the touch, much more than I had expected. The piano is not heavy at all and the only issue i have with it is the lack of a true midi slot.

I am glad I went with this piano over the Casio and the Px130. The post on this site really helped me make my decision.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1964492 - 09/25/12 08:57 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
Vladimir88 Offline

Loc: Jalisco, Mexico
I have a Yamaha P-85, and i love it too laugh. Excellent for beginners on a very low budget laugh. As you know, you can combine 2 voices (by pressing the 2 buttons at the same time). You should try pressing the GP1 and GP2 buttons. It sounds strange, but in a cool way xD (i love how it sounds, but you could totally hate it).

Also, the "strings" voice is excellent for accompaniment on any other voice (i love the harpsichord).

#1964528 - 09/25/12 11:11 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Yamaha p-105b
Well, I paid an extra $100 and pre-ordered the P105 for $600. It came a week ago and have been playing it non stop.

Any chance for a DPBSD MP3? I'm quite curious about this DP.

#1964874 - 09/26/12 04:31 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
Olly Wedgwood Offline

Loc: UK - London
I'm a P90 player - using it for gigs and haven't found anything better for a Grand Piano sound in that price range (about £700 or $1100)... yet! It's also very good for using in recordings smile

#1966329 - 09/29/12 03:45 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Vladimir88]
Yamaha p-105b Offline

I have tried the dual voicing mode (GP+strings).

In this model, there is a feature to adjust the balance between the two voicings in dual mode, but when I press the button, i dont detect any changes as the strings seems to overpower the GP and I would like the strings to be a bit softer.

#1966337 - 09/29/12 03:52 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
Sepharite Offline

Do the keys feel like a real acoustic piano? I'm looking for keys with really heavy touch. The only ones I found was the Roland V Piano and DP90S.

#1966367 - 09/29/12 04:30 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Sepharite]
Yamaha p-105b Offline

trust me, the keys on this thing are heavy to the touch!

#1966477 - 09/29/12 07:20 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Sepharite]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sepharite
Do the keys feel like a real acoustic piano? I'm looking for keys with really heavy touch. The only ones I found was the Roland V Piano and DP90S.

There have been a number of pianos mentioned in this thread, so I'm not sure which you're asking about, but the P105 is supposed to have the same action as the P95, so it would be a relatively light touch.

Though also, I think the V PIano has a relatively light touch (though it feels nothing like the P95). I don't know what a DP90S is. But if you prefer a heavier touch, I'd suggest trying a Kawai, or some of the other Yamahas (P155/CP33/CP300/CP50 would be possibilities, which all use the same action), maybe a Korg like the SV1, all depending also on what else you're looking for.

#1966510 - 09/29/12 08:19 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Sepharite]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Sepharite
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
There have been a number of pianos mentioned in this thread, so I'm not sure which you're asking about, but the P105 is supposed to have the same action as the P95, so it would be a relatively light touch.
It does and it is. There are several things I really like about the new P105 but I cannot sense any change in the action you are familiar with.

It's certainly heavy enough to simulate piano but on the light side of average. The PX-130 was about average and the new PX-150 is on the firm side of average.

I'm going to have to press Roland for some clarification of the "Deluxe PHA III w/escapement" vs "PHA III Ivory Feel-S w/escapement" as I now notice more of these distinctions in the literature. I really thought it was related to the different keytops they had made but now I'm less sure. The Roland DP-90 is the next gen iteration of the DP-990F. The DP-90S is the high polish version of the same. But in the lit, they mention the two variations of the PHA III w/escapement. Looking at our LX-15, RG-1F & FP-7F, the LX-15 and RG-1F have a 2-part, 2-tone sharp (the plastic on the side of the key is more the color of wood) but on the FP-7F the visible part looks like one piece. However, the tops of the keys looks the same on the FP-7F and LX-15 but has a different texture pattern on the RG-1F.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1966635 - 09/30/12 02:10 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
bsl100 Offline

Hi Sam,

Could you elaborate more on the key action of the P-105 and PX150. Both in terms of feel, playability, closeness to acoustic action, and key to piano sound coordination.

Also, in your opinion how do the GP sounds compare between the two.

#1969269 - 10/05/12 10:04 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: bsl100]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I went back to SA do decompress after 3 15 hour work days in a row and concur the P105 is a wonderful instrument. Even though it has the same GHS action as the 95 it is different, it seems to be a bit "bouncier" closer to the 130 than the 95. I find this a very good thing.

The main Rhodes sound is a HUGE improvement- its nice they added a Wurli as well but to me the main attraction are the speakers, sound and touch.

I would argue the 105 wins vs. the 150.
But 105 vs the 350 i would give a slight edge to the 350 but both sound great.

key to sound wins in my opinion on the 350, I find better dynamic control.

I found i would play the 150 for a minute, go the 350 and be lured back to the 105
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1969585 - 10/06/12 08:51 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
i had the chance to play a 105 the other day at GC for a few minutes. They didn't have the PX -50's in yet. but still did have the 130 and 330 on display (with not a hint of the new generation in the salesman's mind... where does GC find these guys?...). vs the PX-330, i thought the P-105 was much more fun to play. i liked its light action and the piano sound was great. it wasn't the greatest demo environment- no pedal hooked up and i had to play it standing up with the board nearly over my head but i was greatly impressed with the piano sound and the onboard speakers.

I didn't care at all for the PX- 330 in comparison- i thought it was sluggish and the action too heavy. But i believe the PX-50 series will have a new action, so i will reserve judgment until then.

But for $599- i thought the P-105 was a peach!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1969610 - 10/06/12 10:24 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: bfb]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb
i had the chance to play a 105 the other day at GC for a few minutes. They didn't have the PX -50's in yet. but still did have the 130 and 330 on display (with not a hint of the new generation in the salesman's mind... where does GC find these guys?...). vs the PX-330, i thought the P-105 was much more fun to play. i liked its light action and the piano sound was great. it wasn't the greatest demo environment- no pedal hooked up and i had to play it standing up with the board nearly over my head but i was greatly impressed with the piano sound and the onboard speakers.

I didn't care at all for the PX- 330 in comparison- i thought it was sluggish and the action too heavy. But i believe the PX-50 series will have a new action, so i will reserve judgment until then.

But for $599- i thought the P-105 was a peach!

Ironically the "L" shaped shopping center in South Jersey has both Sam Ash and Guitar Center within literally 300-400 feet of each other!! GC did not have any of the new boards whatsoever (no x50, 105 of Krome). When I called them they wanted to be sure that I didn't mean the 155. It was either that or being put on hold.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1969641 - 10/07/12 12:31 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Possum P95

So this is a "350 tweeters tip the balance" argument? Or are you talking about the other voices in the 105/350 as well? From a sound technology standpoint (not everything of course) the P-105 is rather typical low end Yamaha: stretched 3:1, short attacks, very short bland loops, quavering chords, faint sympathetic resonance, short decay times - i.e. nothing to write home about. Could it be the new CF sample? Perhaps it's one of those "the sum is more than the parts" organic things, but I'd like to better understand where you're coming from. Could you clarify?

#1969693 - 10/07/12 06:41 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: dewster]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster

So this is a "350 tweeters tip the balance" argument? Or are you talking about the other voices in the 105/350 as well? From a sound technology standpoint (not everything of course) the P-105 is rather typical low end Yamaha: stretched 3:1, short attacks, very short bland loops, quavering chords, faint sympathetic resonance, short decay times - i.e. nothing to write home about. Could it be the new CF sample? Perhaps it's one of those "the sum is more than the parts" organic things, but I'd like to better understand where you're coming from. Could you clarify?

#1 for me is the sound coming out of the piano speakers itself and how it conveys the sample and changes in dynamics- the combination of the improved amplification and clarity make the 105 a more playable instrument for me personally (just my opinion). If I am going to need to connect a 150 to monitors then forget it. #2- the CF sample is an improvement as well. I was in the store playing Vienna by Billy Joel, and some people stopped to listen the quality of the sound coming out of the Yamaha- it passed the large display room test.

I would then totally agree with your statement that the tweeters on the 350 tip the argument. I found when I was picking the same sound i.e. the Classical one on the 350 I heard the entire range of the sound where as on the 150 it felt as though the EQ was almost brittle and higher above the mid range and turned down below. It was borderline the same experience as the #2 piano sound on the SP170 series.

Imagine the 150 had on it an equalizer and the mid to lower mid range was turned down. To me thats what I heard. and the mid high was too much.

Another dealbreaker for me is having the dolce sample and the rock piano sample. Casio did a FANTASTIC JOB on these 2 sounds and to me they make the 350 worth the extra $200.
In terms of the action, I prefer Casio's, but the output of the instrument is just as important. I have no problem with GHS, (it seems the one action I depise is the NH by Korg)

*I also called MF yesterday and person I spoke to said they would honor over the phone the 15% coupon which would make the 105 510- just now working on getting 250 for the 95
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1969773 - 10/07/12 10:54 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I would then totally agree with your statement that the tweeters on the 350 tip the argument. I found when I was picking the same sound i.e. the Classical one on the 350 I heard the entire range of the sound where as on the 150 it felt as though the EQ was almost brittle and higher above the mid range and turned down below. It was borderline the same experience as the #2 piano sound on the SP170 series.

Imagine the 150 had on it an equalizer and the mid to lower mid range was turned down. To me thats what I heard. and the mid high was too much.

I would think just the opposite would happen without tweeters in the 150 - the bass & mid would be there but the treble not so much. Unless you're hearing cone breakup or some kind of different EQ between models. Weird.

Another dealbreaker for me is having the dolce sample and the rock piano sample. Casio did a FANTASTIC JOB on these 2 sounds and to me they make the 350 worth the extra $200.

I believe Mike Martin said the base piano sample is the same for all presets, and that you can get maybe get close to the dolce with the settings?

In terms of the action, I prefer Casio's...

Interesting.

*I also called MF yesterday and person I spoke to said they would honor over the phone the 15% coupon which would make the 105 510- just now working on getting 250 for the 95

I wonder why they are so restrictive via the web? Maybe it's one of those "can't advertise below a certain level" things they all seem to adhere to. When is a market not a market.

#1969788 - 10/07/12 11:17 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: dewster]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I believe Mike Martin said the base piano sample is the same for all presets, and that you can get maybe get close to the dolce with the settings?

There is no sound editing functionality on these models.

#1969791 - 10/07/12 11:25 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: anotherscott]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There is voice selection, brilliance, and touch response. Between those maybe you can get near the dolce?

#1969800 - 10/07/12 11:58 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: dewster]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There is voice selection, brilliance, and touch response. Between those maybe you can get near the dolce?

Voice selection lets you choose among 5 piano sounds (concert, modern, classic, mellow, bright). The PX350 has the same 5 piano sounds plus dolce and others. So this is not any kind of sound editing, you're just calling up a different patch. (The 350 has more preset patches in it, but you still can't edit any of them.)

Touch response is a velocity curve setting, it does not change the underlying sounds, it is only altering how much finger force you need to use to trigger them at a particular level. While that can might appear to make the tone "gentler" for example (by requiring you to use more finger force to generate the higher velocities), it's not really altering the sound, and specifically, if someone likes the way dolce sounds when playing a MIDI file, touch response is not an issue, as a MIDI file will sound the same no matter what the touch response is set at.

So the only way you can alter the tone of the sound at all is with the general brilliance setting (and reverb and chorus).

#1969872 - 10/07/12 02:43 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Found it:

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
The PX-150 has the identical piano sample. The mellow piano preset on the PX-150 is very similar to the dolce preset on the PX-350. You may also want to experiment when different touch settings to get this soft delicate sound.

#1969894 - 10/07/12 03:28 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: dewster]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't doubt Mike, so sure, "mellow" is probably as close as the 150 comes to the 350's "dolce" -- but the 350 also has mellow, which I assume is identical to mellow on the 150, so dolce, while presumably close, is still different enough to have warranted its own preset.

And yes, as I pretty much said, altering the touch so that that you have to hit harder to get higher velocity samples will make it easier to get a gentle sound out of it, but that's not the same, it won't affect the playback of MIDI generated data. Though if Dolce was derived largely by a change in velocity mapping (as opposed to EQ or other processing), I could see where playing a less gentle sound on a velocity setting that made it harder to get high velocity sounds out of it would result in, well, a more gentle sound!

#1972881 - 10/13/12 06:47 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: anotherscott]
500 Post Club Member

I just sold my P95 a few hours ago. Maybe its a mid life crisis because I am turning 40 next week LOL.
Excited about whats coming next though. Probably waiting around for more coupons from MF smile

The 95's sound was mellow in general, but the bright piano certainly wasn't bright with the built in speakers. I would describe the bright piano on the 105 as "nice piano". Its pleasing to hear.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1972916 - 10/13/12 08:36 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
anhmytran Offline

Loc: Hartford, CT 06106
Casio PX 850 has 2 pairs of loud speakers with total power of 24 watts, while Yamaha as only half of number of loudspeakers and half of the voice power.
What if I use the total of only 8 watts for Yamaha or Casio? Does Yamaha sound better?
Does Casio sound better when I use the total of 12 watts on either Yamaha or Casio?

#1972990 - 10/14/12 01:57 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

More watts doesn't make something sound better... all else being equal, it allows it to go louder, or to be clean at louder levels. So the way to use "less" power than is built into a piano is to turn the volume knob down. Though even then, the extra power available may allow peaks to play more cleanly.

But also, all else is never equal. So in fact, 12 watts into a very efficient speaker system can be louder than 24 into an inefficient one. So as usual, the only way to even be sure which is louder is to hear it in person. (Unless maybe the spec sheet includes SPL ratings, which are far more useful than wattage specs, when you're dealing with systems where the amp can't be decoupled from the speakers.

At any rate, it sounds like what you really want to do is compare the sound of two pianos apart from their variables in amps and speakers. You can do that very easily... just audition them with good headphones. That bypasses the amp and speaker variable completely.

#1975940 - 10/19/12 08:31 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: anotherscott]
500 Post Club Member

Just followed suit tonight- MF honored the $100 off from GC so got it for $499 ($250 upgrade fee)
I'll review it more when it arrives and is in the same room, but I feel it is defintely worth it
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1976985 - 10/22/12 05:56 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
Carlos Almeida Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hello everybody. I bought this weekend the new digital piano Yamaha P-105 smile In store only had one for sale. I'm very happy with it.
I was undecided between P-105 and Px-150, but where I live I could only try the P-105. I think the Yamaha is well represented in Portugal unlike Casio. Casio not bet on the Portuguese market...
This forum really helped me make my decision. Thanks!

#1976993 - 10/22/12 07:12 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Well done Carlos. Seems a big improvement on the former P95 in terms of piano sound. There're also good options for computer interfacing.

You're right - about Casio in Portugal. My first option when I was buying was for a Casio, but I couldn't find the models to demo. My second option for experimenting was Kawai, but they are almost impossible to find in Portugal, so I didn't take the risk.

Roland and Yamaha are quite well represented though, which is OK because, on the whole, I like their stuff a lot.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2095010 - 06/04/13 01:00 AM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: Yamaha p-105b]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
I believe I am going to get a p105 in the near future.. this forum also helped me.

Upgrading from a yamaha DGX305. (yes it has a lot of age)

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB :: Fiio E6 Headphone Amp ::
JVC 360Watt Stereo Speakers

#2095739 - 06/04/13 11:55 PM Re: Love my new Yamaha P105 [Re: anhmytran]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
If the P105 uses the same speakers as the DGX 630, I think most would find them more than adequate. My DGX is loud . . . and clear. One o` the reasons I bought it. The other was it was going cheap . .

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (3rd Ear, Atrys, accordeur, 28 invisible), 1131 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250678 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission