Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
125 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, anotherscott, anamnesis, ando, 35 invisible), 1660 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1966562 - 09/29/12 10:27 PM Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords???
magic_fingers Offline

How can I learn improvisation, different styles of improvisation, balade, latino, etc...

How can I expand my harmony and learn to harmonise, inner voices and so on...

Is there any literature?

Im classical trained pianist. More then 10 years of playing piano. I have advanced techinque.

Edited by magic_fingers (09/29/12 11:21 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1966582 - 09/29/12 11:24 PM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark Levine's THE JAZZ PIANO BOOK is the industry standard, it's highly recommended.

Dave Frank

#1966621 - 09/30/12 12:39 AM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: davefrank]
magic_fingers Offline

Dave,

thank you so much for reply.

I will get that book and get back to you. I just was reading a little about that book?

That is basic in jazz improvisation? It has lots of theory which I already know, but I never read anything on jazz harmony. I will read this book and get back to you.

By the way,

I have me youtube chanel, where I put my improvisations,

as I said I never read and learn jazz impro, just my my ear and by my classical harmony trained ear I caught some melodies...

I must say that I play lots of Liszt and Rachmaninoff, so you can hear them in my impro.

HEre is youtube clip:

If you and anyone else can help me to learn and get the knowelage on jazz harmony and advanced harmony, it would be great.

Tell me what do you think on my impro.

Here is another one, please take you time and listen and tell me what do you think. Thank you smile

Edited by magic_fingers (09/30/12 12:53 AM)

#1967058 - 09/30/12 08:09 PM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Quote:
please take you time and listen and tell me what do you think.

I can tell you have great technique, and it sounds like you already have a good understanding of what notes to play.

Many will like your selections as they are, but for me they are too busy. Too many notes, embellishments and runs. Especially "Girl from Ipanema."

I find a lot of YouTube recordings of this that are similarly busy and unrelaxing, but compare yours with this one:

Edited by TromboneAl (09/30/12 08:11 PM)

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#1967149 - 10/01/12 01:06 AM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Magic fingers, your renditions are interesting, you are already a masterful player with your own sort of style.
But maybe you could start the tune playing with less motion and intensity and build it up to more intensity and motion as the piece develops. It sounded like you were doing the grand climax at the beginning instead of towards the end. If you start at a super high intensity level there is nowhere to go from there and it becomes overwhelming to listen to.
But keep doing what you are doing and don't let others coax you into a mold, don't try to sound like every other player. Do listen to some Keith Jarrett and Bill Evans solo piano and notice how the arcs of intensity develop in their performances. .

#1967242 - 10/01/12 09:50 AM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I think you need to do two things:
1. Get a basic understanding of jazz theory, such as chord progressions, jazz scales and voicings. The Jazz Piano Book is a good recommendation.
2. Listen to a lot of great improvisers. Even better, get some transcriptions of improvisations. There are plenty out there. Get a book of Bill Evans transcriptions, or Oscar Peterson. You don't necessarily learn anything specific, but you slowly absorb new ideas and sounds from listening to the masters which eventually seep into your improvisation.

I've been studying jazz for years, but I still try to listen almost everyday (IPod at the gym!).

#1967612 - 10/02/12 02:23 AM Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: davefrank
Mark Levine's THE JAZZ PIANO BOOK is the industry standard, it's highly recommended.
Dave Frank

Mr. Fingers,
I also like a book authored by a former colleague of Dave's ::
Ray Santisi's BERKLEE JAZZ PIANO - currently available at your favorite music store.

Ed

#1971816 - 10/11/12 01:12 PM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
in the times of Beethoven or Bach you'd learn harmony, counterpoint and improvisation

classical piano demands sight reading and tight technique so that you can play all that repertoire perfectly down to the last note

I find it funny that classical piano teaching in our time basically traded improvisation skills for the ability to perfectly reproduce what were basically their best improvisations written down

my piano haiku

#1972419 - 10/12/12 06:34 PM Re: Learn improvisation, jazz chords, emotional chords??? [Re: magic_fingers]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Classical requires reading and memorization but "sight reading" is not essential. Sight reading means the ability to play a piece the first time you look at it.
Improvisation refers to spontaneous "composition" in the moment. I don't believe the compositions of Bach and Beethoven were quite their improvisations written down. They could have begun from improvisations, but Bach and Beethoven carefully worked and reworked their compositions, thus the results were not exactly spontaneous. But maybe in a few cases they were.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Fanny Waterman criticizes British pianists
by bennevis
12/21/14 12:37 PM
Forum Stats
77382 Members
42 Forums
160040 Topics
2350181 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission