Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1962276 - 09/21/12 08:17 PM New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Well, we had our second new arrival today...a P105 arrived after lunch (just one by the way, not sure where the rest of my initial order is??) and we opened it right up. It's now sitting in the stand and pedals just 3 feet from the new Casio PX-150.

I'm looking for the reviews from others to come soon. I'm not going to spend time on a Friday night giving a lengthy, complete review, but I'll say that in this race of $599 slabs, I think Yamaha won many important points.

I clearly hear 2 layers in the Pure CF engine but I suspect a 3rd. The new speakers sound great. Really great, IMO. The action is the same, slightly under-weight GHS, but I really preferred both the Yamaha tone and the action's connection. The controls layout is pretty good and the new finish is more attractive. Thanks again to the speakers, but most of the other sounds are very enjoyable. My colleague had a blast figuring out the new rhythms function. Through headphones, you can definitely hear the weakness of details in the CF sample, but it is pleasing overall. Good board. Finally a big upgrade from the P85.

The Casio has an excellent, firm action. It has the look of a more expensive machine. Up close, I can see gentle ripples in the control console and of the two I've opened, one had a ding. I love the volume knob. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale. I like the sound but I don't love the sound. The speakers are a disappointment for me. They have power but sound small. I like most textured keytops but I think these are overdone. They don't bother me, but they aren't the same subtle, pleasant texture from the AP-620 and the like. The other sounds are pretty good to very good for the price range, but again, the speakers were the weakness in listening to these. The action is super responsive but the curve is not quite natural.

I confess I have had extremely high hopes for the Casio and fairly low expectations that the Yamaha would improve so demonstrably. I was expecting a warmed over P85/95 and with Casio, I was hoping for another underpriced monster that chips away at the market dominance of Yamaha in that segment. Expectations. What are you going to do?

Anyone else have an opinion to share?
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1962288 - 09/21/12 08:44 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
dje31 Offline

The term "managing expectations" comes to mind. You didn't expect much from the Yamaha, and were pleasantly surprised. Perhaps higher hopes for the Casio, which...

Not trying to be sour grapes...competition improves the breed, and I hope the new Casios do well for the brand, and shake up the usual suspects.

Edited by dje31 (09/21/12 09:16 PM)

#1962292 - 09/21/12 09:01 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
The Casio (...) I like most textured keytops but I think these are overdone. They don't bother me, but they aren't the same subtle, pleasant texture from the AP-620 and the like.

Mike posted this pro shot of the keyboard, and the texture is clear. He chalked it up to lighting, but the photo doesn't lie apparently:

#1962369 - 09/22/12 01:42 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: xorbe]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Was at a Peter Gabriel concert tonight and Phils games this weekend- so won't make it to any stores until mid- next week:

Sam-as a P95 owner, do you think it would be worth an upgrade if it was $300?

In terms of the PX150, I am wondering if the tweeters on the 350 will make a difference with the comparable sound.

How is the second grand piano sound on the P105; is it a brighter version?
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1962448 - 09/22/12 08:14 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I thought the speakers and wattage on the px 50 series where all the same except for the 850 ?

The underpowered speakers is one of he reasons for me to choose the es7 over the px 350. But you can't have it all; low weight and a powerful amp and speaker system. Something's got to give..., also the ES is almost twice the price of the px , so better speakers is no surprise. The aging PHi engine is however an (unpleasant) surprise. Therefore the Casio was still on my list, but from your review I understand its not really that good - thin piano sound , despite longer samples and overdone texture ?

Shame the casios are still not in the shops, want to pull the trigger before the coming tax hike here...please keep us posted.

#1962456 - 09/22/12 08:35 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
What's the weight difference between the P105 and the PX150?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1962475 - 09/22/12 09:37 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: ClsscLib]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
What's the weight difference between the P105 and the PX150?

Their specs are on the companies' web sites. The Casio is just a little lighter. Less than 2 lbs difference.

#1962516 - 09/22/12 10:41 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Possum P95
Sam-as a P95 owner, do you think it would be worth an upgrade if it was $300?

In terms of the PX150, I am wondering if the tweeters on the 350 will make a difference with the comparable sound.

How is the second grand piano sound on the P105; is it a brighter version?
Dude...you've asked the upgrade question six times in six threads. How is anybody supposed to answer that for you. Your wait is almost over. Go and then share with us.

On the PX-350, I can only guess but I do think the tweeters could be a big help. I'm still super excited for the PX-350. With the improved action and record to USB added to the other basics, I think it will be an incredibly affordable professional board.

If Casio puts this action in a stripped down MIDI controller, it would be a game changer, IMO. It can't fully compete with the actions of the 50+ lb. heavyweights, but compared to what is out there, I would develop that product. From a functional standpoint, the heavy-textured keys are good and very practical. It is just well beyond what you will feel on any acoustic.

The second piano on the Yamaha is very bright. I won't use it, but I don't gig.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1962559 - 09/22/12 12:15 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The action is super responsive but the curve is not quite natural.

I only had an opportunity to try it briefly, but that was basically my quick take on it as well. Fantastic feeling action, but unnatural velocity response. I'm hoping to be able to spend some more time with one next week.

#1962591 - 09/22/12 01:20 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I clearly hear 2 layers in the Pure CF engine but I suspect a 3rd. The new speakers sound great. Really great, IMO. The action is the same, slightly under-weight GHS, but I really preferred both the Yamaha tone and the action's connection. The controls layout is pretty good and the new finish is more attractive. Thanks again to the speakers, but most of the other sounds are very enjoyable. My colleague had a blast figuring out the new rhythms function. Through headphones, you can definitely hear the weakness of details in the CF sample, but it is pleasing overall. Good board. Finally a big upgrade from the P85.

Is there any pedal sympathetic resonance? Could you comment also on decay time and audible looping?

#1962672 - 09/22/12 04:44 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: dewster]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
Is there any pedal sympathetic resonance? Could you comment also on decay time and audible looping?
Umm, I can't...we already sold it. smile I hope the rest of my order comes next week.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1962696 - 09/22/12 05:38 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Duke-N-NY Offline

Loc: Tracy, Ca.
Some newbee Questions for those in the know
1. The 105 seems to be going for a 100.00 more than the 95, at this time, is it worth it, that much improvement?
2. The 105 if i read it right does not have midi, would this be a problem if u wanted to connect ur 105 to say a motif or other workstation? Would u need a adapter if so how much is that?
3. P-95=499.00, P-105=599.00, PX-350=799.00, not thinking about sound or feel what are you getting in the px thats missing from the say 105, other than alot more voices, more control options?
4. Finally, setting everything else aside, which of the above 3 have the best on-board speakers/sound?
Thx, Duke

#1962856 - 09/22/12 10:35 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Duke-N-NY]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Duke-N-NY
Some newbee Questions for those in the know
1. The 105 seems to be going for a 100.00 more than the 95, at this time, is it worth it, that much improvement?

No one can answer that for you. How much better it sounds is subjective. (And for that matter, $100 difference is a lot more to some people than to others.) However, I am put off by the fact that the 105 does not have standard MIDI ports. Which brings me to...

2. The 105 if i read it right does not have midi, would this be a problem if u wanted to connect ur 105 to say a motif or other workstation? Would u need a adapter if so how much is that?

Yes. If you're not connecting via a computer, you would need an adapter to MIDI it up to another keyboard, which more than doubles the price difference between the P95 and P105. There's the iConnectMIDI for $180, and a less versatile piece that would be a bit less from Kenton in the U.K. It's good that there are these options available, but it's an unfortunate circumstance that dropping MIDI ports from keyboards forces you to have to deal with the nuisance of it, and one more possible source of problems.

3. P-95=499.00, P-105=599.00, PX-350=799.00, not thinking about sound or feel what are you getting in the px thats missing from the say 105, other than alot more voices, more control options?

You should download the manuals from their web sites, to get a thorough look at their features and operations.

#1963379 - 09/23/12 09:43 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
mrcpro Offline

Loc: PNW
The Casio has an excellent, firm action. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale.

Is this true when run through good monitors, or is it just when run through it's internal speakers?

I've been lurking around here for awhile, and decided to register so I could ask you this question.

#1963413 - 09/23/12 10:59 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: mrcpro]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mrcpro
The Casio has an excellent, firm action. The sound is very detailed and has great resonance and high partials, but seems to be missing low harmonics through large sections of the scale.

Is this true when run through good monitors, or is it just when run through it's internal speakers?

I've been lurking around here for awhile, and decided to register so I could ask you this question.
The speakers on a portable always limit the amount of detail that comes through. On my second shot at it, I listened with thru the speakers, through inexpensive headphones (ATH-M2X), and better ones (DT770). There is a lot of detail there. I stand by my comments about the "concert grand" piano sound. I now prefer the "classic" grand and would add to my original review specifically to say the the speakers are very pleasant for all of the extra sounds...for the piano sound, I'd hoped for more out of the speakers.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1963415 - 09/23/12 11:01 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: mrcpro]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Most of us have not played the new Privias as they are barely reaching stores. As far as the sound goes, on board speakers have limitations. If you want to hear the piano at its best, plan on bringing a good pair of headphones with you.

#1963458 - 09/24/12 12:20 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: galaxy4t]
mrcpro Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
Most of us have not played the new Privias as they are barely reaching stores.

Exactly - which is why I was asking. There isn't one within 500 miles of where I live. But this guy's got one already.

My own use for this piano would be on a praise team primarily, run through my personal monitors and the house sound system. That's why I was asking. The internal speakers are nice to have for rehearsal but for me their sound is not important. The sound of the piano itself is very important however.

I appreciate the comments about the P-105 and would consider it if it had MIDI - kind of a requirement for my purposes. I know that the PX-150 has no MIDI either but the 350 does, and since they share the same main piano sound I was trying to get a feel for what that comment about it being shy on low harmonics was all about.

Anyway I can't wait to get my hands on a PX-350. But that's not even released yet.

#1963474 - 09/24/12 01:09 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: mrcpro]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you want to get an idea of what the PX-350 sounds like use a good pair of headphones or speakers and click the link below. I thought the AP sound was impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgEtHwMx9s&feature=player_embedded

Edited by galaxy4t (09/24/12 01:18 AM)

#1963481 - 09/24/12 01:35 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: galaxy4t]
mrcpro Offline

Yeah I've seen that video and listened to it a lot through both quality headphones and monitors. I think the piano sounds full and fantastic.

That's why I was looking for clarification from Sam Bennett. Is he basing his judgement of the PX-150 and P105 through their internal amplification only (which is valid of course), or does the P105 just smoke the PX-150 when they are both run through good external amplification?

#1963636 - 09/24/12 11:36 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Novice Pianist Offline

Loc: Madison, WI, USA
Does CF Sound Engine sound very different from P95?

I tried P95 and Casio's PX135. I liked P95 much better.

Also, what do you think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrM7TzRVWhI

I didn't see this happen in the store but I am a novice.

#1963679 - 09/24/12 01:01 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Carlos Almeida Offline

Loc: Portugal

I found this video in YouTube...What do you think?

#1963855 - 09/24/12 06:07 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: mrcpro]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, when it comes to the sound and touch of any DP it is a highly subjective matter. That's why you need to try out whatever you are considering for yourself. You need to draw your own conclusions about the action and sound. Nearly all DP sound inferior to a good software piano run through a computer.

#1963947 - 09/24/12 09:40 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: galaxy4t]
500 Post Club Member

I finally got to try both tonight at Sam Ash- I think I see where Sam is coming from and agree:

They called and said they had only the 105, but the 150 must have arrived shortly after.

Upon looking at the design of the PX150 board, it seems one of the features I enjoyed- the brilliance setting is not there.

In terms of the overall feel of the keys, i would have to go back (350 when it arrives) but to me, although the texture was nice I cannot confirm that I enjoyed it more than the 130.-And note this is not a bad thing- in fact it is a testament to the manufacturers like Casio and Yamaha that a 2 or 3 year old keyboard holds it own against newer models.

In terms of the 5 piano sounds, and this could be the speaker, at times I found the sounds to bright on the 150.

Speakers were to me not an improvement of the 130's and possibly inferior.

I will defintely not be trading in my 130 for a 150, but would consider a 350 or potentially an 850.

Onto the Yamaha, the P105 was right above the P95 and here is my review in one sentence:

The P95 is no slouch compared to the 105.

Speakers are slightly to moderatley improved, potentially I felt as though I heard 2 layers- playing Elton's Funeral For a Friend.

I enjoyed playing it as much as the 95.

I did not leave the store thinking about how much I was going to get for my current keyboards on craigslist.

One of the P105 EP's had a better Rhodes sound then the P95, but not even as good as the PX130. I thought the PX135 Rhodes was similar to the PX130 but I am convinced these speakers were mediocre at best. I will certainly go back and try the 350, but doubt I would get an 850

If I owned neither board as it was, I honestly might just go for the P105- this could have been the size of the room I was in but as much as I love Casio, i think the EQ of the speakers could have used some improvement.

In terms of spending $100 more (or perhaps $85 if you have a coupon) I would defintely pay the extra for the 105.

However, to me a PX130 with a price drop would be more tempting than the PX150 right now.

In conclusion: as I will be moving soon the P95 will likely be in my living room, and the PX130 will be in my bedroom or den on the xstand near the Juno Gi.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1963950 - 09/24/12 09:46 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Mike_Martin Offline

Upon looking at the design of the PX150 board, it seems one of the features I enjoyed- the brilliance setting is not there.

Still there, although not labeled.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#1963955 - 09/24/12 10:01 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Mike_Martin]
500 Post Club Member

Ok- thanks I'll go back and look at it- really looking forward to the 350- I wasn't trying to be critical though by any means-
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1964003 - 09/25/12 12:23 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

In terms of the 5 piano sounds, and this could be the speaker, at times I found the sounds to bright on the 150.

Possum, perhaps Casio has brightened up the sample to compete more directly with the brighter Yahama piano tone. I think you will need to listen to each piano with headphones to really get a sense of which you like better. On board speakers on slab pianos are at a big disadvantage due to size/space. It would be interesting to compare the sound say on the PX-850 which has a better and more powerful amp/speaker combination.

Mike,
Is the piano sample still 4 layers on the new privia?

Edited by galaxy4t (09/25/12 12:24 AM)

#1964082 - 09/25/12 05:44 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: galaxy4t]
Carlos Almeida Offline

Well, when it comes to the sound and touch of any DP it is a highly subjective matter. That's why you need to try out whatever you are considering for yourself. You need to draw your own conclusions about the action and sound. Nearly all DP sound inferior to a good software piano run through a computer.

thanks for the reply! But it will be almost impossible to try both (px150 and p105) before I buy frown I'll buy according to the reviews expressed in the forum...

Edited by Carlos Almeida (09/25/12 06:17 AM)

#1964138 - 09/25/12 09:38 AM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: galaxy4t]
Mike_Martin Offline

Possum, perhaps Casio has brightened up the sample to compete more directly with the brighter Yahama piano tone. I think you will need to listen to each piano with headphones to really get a sense of which you like better. On board speakers on slab pianos are at a big disadvantage due to size/space. It would be interesting to compare the sound say on the PX-850 which has a better and more powerful amp/speaker combination.

Mike,
Is the piano sample still 4 layers on the new privia?

I couldn't agree more about the headphone comment. The level of ambient noise in music stores doesn't make for an ideal listening environment.

Yes 4 layers on the new models. I wouldn't characterize the new pianos as brighter, but more accurate. In the PX-350 YouTube video that I posted (same piano as PX-150), I think you'll hear that overall it is more musical and has a wider range of expression.

The speaker system on the new PX-150 and PX-350 is different than previous models and the mid to high range of these speakers is definitely more detailed.

Edited by Mike_Martin (09/25/12 09:38 AM)

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#1964248 - 09/25/12 01:10 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Carlos Almeida Offline

P-95, P-105 and P-155 Comparison By Yamaha
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musi...p-155/318/7263/

Yamaha P105 has 3 dynamic levels. P95 has only 1.

#1964259 - 09/25/12 01:24 PM Re: New Arrivals: Casio PX-150 & Yamaha P105 [Re: Carlos Almeida]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Carlos Almeida
P-95, P-105 and P-155 Comparison By Yamaha
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musi...p-155/318/7263/

Yamaha P105 has 3 dynamic levels. P95 has only 1.

Wow, it's a red letter day! Specs are falling from the sky!

That's one of the most informative single pages of info I've ever seen from Yamaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (ADWyatt, Adam Coleman, antony, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1392 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250042 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Yesterday at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission