2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Just brought my new CA95 home late last night. Now to fetch a neighbor and bring it inside.

Some thoughts later in the day ... So far, I am truly impressed.

Again ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
J
J
Awesome!!! Congrats; you're in for a wonderful treat when you get to start playing it!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by McBuster
Just brought my new CA95 home late last night.

Congrats!

Originally Posted by McBuster
Now to fetch a neighbor and bring it inside.

Some thoughts later in the day ... So far, I am truly impressed.

'bring it inside'?
Wait, so you were playing the CA95 outside?

Regardless, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the new piano.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
"Inside" - It was in my truck overnight ...

At The Dealer yesterday, this piano was in the same room as a Kawai 6' Grand and a Shigeru Kawai 7' Grand. Now before anyone goes nuttzo, it is important to compare a $3k piano to two far more expensive ones. Boy, the feel, the sound, the experience for a electronic piano sure did well against its far bigger cousins. Is it the same? It can -not- be. Of course. Apples and Oranges. But is it good? It is exceptional. What I heard and felt from all three? I am very satisfied. For the money, the CA95 sounds great compared to either Grand.

First Impressions !!!

- The tactile feedback from keys to fingers is awesome. One can feel the Let-Off, the sound vibration, the weight. All, is very well executed. The keys are slightly lighter to the touch.

- The pure sound from the CA95 is much better than its predecessors (sp).

- The spacing between keys is excellent.

- The music rack is beefier and you need to button up that 1/8" gap better.

- Fit and finish is perfect.

- I sure like the Lcd vs the letters and I like the rearrangement of the buttons.

Off to do some errands and then play it for a while.

Kawai, Job well done ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
I wasn't impressed with the sound a week ago.... after a week of playing I'm absolutely loving it.... sounds so much fuller ... maybe the speakers needed to get some use or my ears have become accustomed I don't know... but congrats mate.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Congratulations to all you new CA95 owners!

From a purely personal perspective, your delight with the CA95 is very encouraging for me as a stage piano player. The described leap in sound fidelity and feel is a great harbinger for what could be around the corner in the slab/stage line. Maybe my skepticism about Kawai ever bringing this level of refinement to their portable DPs is misplaced. I do hope so.

Enjoy your wonderful pianos!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I read your post in prices paid section.. $3200?! That seems like a deal!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@McBuster,

Congratulations!

I see that you got an excellent price for your CA95 at $3,200. As you did even better than I did at $3,815, although my price included the local sales tax (of $267.05) bringing the total to $4,082.05. My final price included the trade in of two other pianos, a Wurlitzer spinet acoustic (1958), and, Casio AP-620.

Just to compare, it appears that my piano did have a few keys that had uneven key spaces, although I see no problems with them making noise from contact with one another, and, I am glad yours were perfect.

Question:

Are you comfortable with the pedals in regards to how close they are to the player?

As for myself, have had difficulty adjusting to the shallow pedal depth.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Pedal depth ...

It is, what it is ... I am glad it is not a unit that plugs in and slides all over the carpet.

I have no problem with them at this time.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, the price is really good. And buying across state lines, saves me another 7 1/2% in Sales Tax. Priced locally from the only dealer in this state? $4975 + tax ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Now, after some playing on, and with, the CA95.

The sound is much better. I believe I read somewhere that the internal Cpu/Engine is faster. That may make what I hear a bit more crisp and defined. The new sound sampling also contributes to the better sound.

The transducer has been relocated and the longerons have been redesigned as well. Maybe this helps at the lower volume.

With the Grands I used, their soundboard creates a very voluminous, encircling sound. To reproduce that in an electronic piano would be very difficult.

The keyboard action is slightly lighter - seems more responsive.

By your knees, if I remember correctly, the CA93 had four horizontal openings for the midrange sound to flow thru. The CA95' leftmost slot is missing. This may help channel that sound energy to the soundboard.

An Lcd for the menues makes them far easier to use.

In all, for something at the $3k price point, it has excellent sound and feel. Well done, Kawai and I am glad I upgraded. Again ... Tee hee ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
J
J
Great review. You just can't go wrong. Can you tell us where you bought it from?

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
They are a great Dealer and family owned but please do not ask for pricing. They abide by Kawai's terms and will not tell you over the phone. Work with Amanda, she is just great.

Last edited by McBuster; 10/02/12 12:38 PM.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
P
P
Hello and congratulations!!!

Would you please compare the CA93's RM3 actions with your new CA95's GrandFeel action?

Are you sure it is lighter? Because having 3 sensors could be one reason of why you feel it lighter.

Have you compared the keys weight on RM3 and GF without sound to confirm that the weight is different?

I would appreciate if you answered my questions please smile

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
The new one is slightly lighter in the humblest of my opinions. I am not going to get into actual key weight, force pressures, or static frictions. It simply feel slighter.

"That's my story, and I am sticking to it ... "

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
K
K
Congrats to your new CA95. Can I ask you is it worth it to upgrade from CA93 to CA95 with a little more money added? Also, is the difference between the CA65 and CA95 day and night or not big of a difference in terms of touch and sound? Thanks.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Sound Engine, GF vs RM3, more Amplifier wattage, several improvements here and there to the speaker enclosure.

65 vs 95. If using headphones - zero difference. If not, and the volume is 1/3 - 1/2 or better, the soundboard kicks in and it is a much fuller sound.

For all the new features, large and small between the 93/95, it was indeed worth it (for me) to upgrade. Also consider resale value (in this economy) in that the 95 is current manufacture and technology and the 93 is going on 4 years old.

You may also want to search thru some of my other posts as I have provided several insights of mine to the 63 and 93 and 95.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
K
K
McBuster,

Thank you for your explanation on the differences between the models. I will need to consider the resale value like you mentioned. I overheard that Kawai no longer produces CA93. I think CA95 is the way to go.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
If, you are not using earphones, the 65 is typical of so many DP's that have a panel joining the two sides and the primary speakers point down from the bottom of the keyboard.

The 95 is far different in that it has an actual box about 6" thick which houses the soundboard actuator. And, the four midrange speakers point into this box. Their sound mostly coming forward from the front panel. I have described this in more detail in another of my posts.

-That- entire arrangement imho is what really gives this unit a far better sound when playing into a room.

Shop around. You may find that by driving a little ways you might find a Dealer that can save you alot of money.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
65 vs 95. If using headphones - zero difference

Was this based on your own experience or just on general common infromation? There are some other opinions:
Originally Posted by Aeons Holle
Originally Posted by KarelG
Originally Posted by Temperament
[...]
- despite of opposite claims I thought to hear out a clear advantage with my Sennheiser HD650 headphone in favor of CA95. The difference was not that pronounced as over built in boxes, but I felt definitive to hear less distortions on the CA95.(Would be interesting to hear Jame's feedback to this).
[...]

Perhaps this means not only amplifier for speakers, but also amplifier for the headphones are different. The thing with HD650 is that they do have quite high impedance IIRC for which you need a little bit better amplifier.

From my own experience, comparing CA65 and CA95 in the store with my AKG-501, I can attest to this.
The CA95 on exact same settings sounded somehow better to me than the CA65. Which is the main reason I decided to get the CA95 over the CA65, although I play exclusively over headphones at home and have no need for the soundboard at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission