Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1966831 - 09/30/12 01:50 PM Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!?
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Or, is it that the bass is extremely powerful in relation to the rest of the piano?

In my limited experience, it seems to me that the tenor/treble is no louder than any other pianos I've played, and perhaps I'd even say that the treble is softer (gentler? more intimate?) than some others.

Any constructive input welcomed.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1966852 - 09/30/12 02:35 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
One can play very softly, very loudly, and anything in between in any region of the keyboard on a BB. When people say a BB has a big bass I think this means one can play very loudly without the tone becoming unpleasant.

But it's your opinion that counts if you're interested in buying one. If you think it's too loud or too soft or too "anything", than my opinion of the tone should mean nothing.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/30/12 03:53 PM)

#1966864 - 09/30/12 03:00 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Your describing uneven voicing. It's impossible to tell without hearing and playing the piano. Have your tech check it out or ask the seller to have it voiced.

Many pianist over play their right hands while working for expression. (known as the Steinway syndrome to techs here in the mid Atlantic area). It can be a very difficult adjustment for players who have played Steinways all their lives.

Edited by Dave B (09/30/12 03:01 PM)

#1966882 - 09/30/12 03:38 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Dave B]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Your describing uneven voicing. It's impossible to tell without hearing and playing the piano. Have your tech check it out or ask the seller to have it voiced.

Actually, I was referring to what many people have said about BBs. The piano I'm considering can be played softly and loudly. I do have some issues with the tonal range (other thread) that may be what you're referring to though.

And unfortunately, the seller will do nothing to voice it because he believes it sounds great as is. And it does--but without the range. I do have the opportunity to have a tech look into this concern though.

#1966931 - 09/30/12 04:57 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Dave B]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I am unclear about the comment that many pianists overplay their right hands if they are used to playing Steinways all their lives. I have just bought a Mason-Hamlin BB (not delivered yet, though, so little experience playing it yet) but formerly played only on a Steinway for the last 6 or 7 years. I do know that I felt the upper section of the Steinway was not very clear or strong compared with the meaty middle or bass. Is that what you are talking about? When I auditioned the BB, I found the treble and tenor very nice.

#1967108 - 09/30/12 10:34 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
SBP Offline

I had the chance to play a used Mason and Hamlin AA (~ 6'2") at the Steinway Dealer in Tysons the other day. That sumsaıˆˇÇÓ is loud, even when playing normal mezzoforte/forte. Awesome, clean tone (not to mention very light and responsive laugh ), but loud. I'm not familiar with the B/BB, but I'd imagine it's a similar can of worms.

#1967710 - 10/02/12 09:58 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Dave B]
Seeker Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD

Could be.

Many pianist over play their right hands while working for expression. (known as the Steinway syndrome to techs here in the mid Atlantic area). It can be a very difficult adjustment for players who have played Steinways all their lives.

With respect, I don't agree at all.

I've played good Steinways; I've played good Mason & Hamlins.

In my experience, the Steinway treble projects above the bottom of the instrument in a way that the Mason does not.

As to whether or not that's a "good" thing, or a "bad", well, that's a matter of personal taste, aesthetics, the repertoire being played, and, of course, the pianist's ability.

Yes, a good tech can do a lot to voice an instrument, but at the end of the day, a Mason sounds like a Mason, and a Steinway like a Steinway.

GOOD pianists, ones who play at professional levels with experience playing different brands of instruments in different sizes of venues with different acoustics, understand these things - and part of the work that is done when preparing to play a concert is playing on a particular instrument in a particular venue so the performance can be tailored accordingly. On a good day, it all comes together : )
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")

#1967739 - 10/02/12 11:52 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Dave B]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC

I've rarely experienced having to overplay the treble on Steinways. The "singing treble" is one of the Steinway hallmarks.

Also, when you play your BB, or any piano, recognize that the sound coming at you may differ from what a listener may be hearing out in the room.

www.josephkubera.com

#1967773 - 10/02/12 01:43 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
I agree heartily with Andrew and Joe. Steinway has amazing projection in the middle to upper register and doesn't require much work from the soloist to achieve a singing melody line. If you find a Steinway that isn't able to thusly project, I would submit that the hammers are too soft and need some remediation. Many other brands can be made bright, but rarely do they project like a Steinway. This may be obvious in your living room, but it is ever so obvious when you routinely hear stage pianos in concerted repertoire in a large venue. For years, I had season tickets to the symphony and you could blindfold me and I could tell the difference between Steinways and everything else. I was always in the same seat, so that is not a variable. I have owned Steinways and presently I own an M&H and Knabe.

#1967826 - 10/02/12 04:15 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: John Pels]
Karl Watson Offline

As is well known agmonst the forum membership, I dislike the new Masons, not because they aren't good pianos, but because they don't sound at all like Mason & Hamlin pianos, at least as we've come to know them, c.1900-1985. They are good pianos but are the productions of a mentality that is focused on Steinway tone. To me, they're the piano maker's equivalent of Labradoodles.

Having said that, I agree completely with those that have written that what you've experienced with this and other instruments is poor, uneven voicing. Personally, I dislike any piano that isn't slightly treble-ascendant. In particular, a concert grand ought to have a significant treble, but avoiding any suggestion of brittle hardness. Big but round, not always easy to achieve, would be my ideal. Steinways excell in this.

The temptation to overplay the small fingers of the right hand can very quickly lead to an injury. The piano should be ready to help the player here.

You can get what you want from your new Mason without any problems. After all, it's already ALMOST a Steinway so pressing it a bit shouldn't be an issue.

#1967834 - 10/02/12 04:29 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
When I transitioned to my current piano I noticed that I have to make a conscious effort to play the left hand softer. Couldn't really play the right hand any louder and it wasn't easy to hear the treble over the bass. Could be voicing, could just be the piano, could just be me!

#1967865 - 10/02/12 05:30 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: gnuboi]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
Having been going through an exhaustive hunt for a new piano I've had a chance to play a number of M&H including some BBs as well a large number of Steinway Bs. I find that the Mason's are not well balanced or consistent from bass to treble - they sound like two different instruments, with the bass more prominent. While the bass has some immediate appeal I found the unmatched sound disturbing. While there is a larger variety in S&S ranging the better ones have a powerful bass complemented by a projecting treble. They sound more coordinated to my ear.

so to answer the OP - are BB loud - in the bass I'd say often, but I think the issue is highlighted by the contrast from bass to treble.

#1968048 - 10/03/12 12:01 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: gmf001]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: gmf001
Having been going through an exhaustive hunt for a new piano I've had a chance to play a number of M&H including some BBs as well a large number of Steinway Bs. I find that the Mason's are not well balanced or consistent from bass to treble - they sound like two different instruments, with the bass more prominent. While the bass has some immediate appeal I found the unmatched sound disturbing.

These were all recorded on a 2003 BB. Does the piano sound unbalanced or inconsistent from bass to treble??? smile

Brahms - Rhapsody Opus 79 No. 2
http://youtu.be/6wjReIxzfuo

Chopin - Impromptu Opus 51
http://www.box.net/shared/fz2odrk02q

Schumann - The Prophet Bird
http://www.box.net/shared/l7zsopcuot

NOTE: There's no denying that the piano is LOUD - particularly in the Brahms - but I don't think that the sound is unbalanced from bass to treble. Of course, every piano is different......

Edited by carey (10/03/12 03:38 PM)

#1968437 - 10/03/12 09:34 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
carey, It's really not my place to criticize anyone's playing, but I can't figure out another way to answer your question. Please understand that I fully appreciate and respect the players work.

To me the Brahms just seems overplayed, missing the sublime joy of the composition. The Chopin has the same choppy rhythm and transitions but there were a few glimpses into what the piano can do. The Schumman is an interesting selection. I'm guessing its fun to play? The M&H damper system is nothing to be hesitant with. Just let it do its job. It will impress.

Again; my intent is not to criticize anyone's playing.

The M&H "BB" is a wonderful instrument. In my humble opinion, it is one of the great designs. Yes it is a very very powerful instrument. To me its like hopping into a formula 1 race car. With a little practice down shifting you can take turns at over 100 mph and not even hear the wheels.

I know a few percussionist who can walk up to a snare drum and you think a gun went off. And there isn't a dent on the drum head. You can imagine what the drum head would look like if I tried to do that.

So to answer your question. There is an assortment of powerful pianos to play; but I doubt it's the pianos that are loud.

#1968444 - 10/03/12 09:51 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Karl Watson]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#1968450 - 10/03/12 10:12 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
pianoloverus Offline

I have a BB in a room 12' by 18'. I don't have any problem with the piano being too loud or not being able to play at a soft dynamic level in any register.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/04/12 09:52 AM)

#1968495 - 10/04/12 01:11 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Dave B]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

carey, It's really not my place to criticize anyone's playing, but I can't figure out another way to answer your question. Please understand that I fully appreciate and respect the players work.

To me the Brahms just seems overplayed, missing the sublime joy of the composition. The Chopin has the same choppy rhythm and transitions but there were a few glimpses into what the piano can do. The Schumann is an interesting selection. I'm guessing its fun to play?

Dave - I must admit that I've never felt the Rhapsody to be a "sublimely joyful" work. grin

Edited by carey (10/04/12 02:41 AM)

#1968619 - 10/04/12 10:31 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: carey]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I can't play the Brahms nearly as well as you but it does belong in that sublimely joyful category (I guess especially if I can do it right).

Anyway the piano sounds great and even throughout!

#1968627 - 10/04/12 10:45 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Carey; I am not sure why the comments about the playing. I thought it sounded very good. Wish I could play that well. The piano sounds different in each piece, but isn't that what the original poster wanted to know? If the tone range is wide? Of course, the acoustics, recording setup, etc. make it hard to judge. Would be better to hear the pieces live, of course. Still, the piano sounded good, especially the Schumann. Just my opinion and I am not an expert, of course.

#1968649 - 10/04/12 11:25 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: carey]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
Dave - I must admit that I've never felt the Rhapsody to be a "sublimely joyful" work. grin
Those are about the last words I would use to describe it.

#1968734 - 10/04/12 02:49 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: gnuboi]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gnuboi

Anyway the piano sounds great and even throughout!

Thanks - that's what I was trying to demonstrate by posting the recordings in the first place. smile

#1968744 - 10/04/12 03:34 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: Chopinlover49]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
Carey; I am not sure why the comments about the playing. I thought it sounded very good. Wish I could play that well. The piano sounds different in each piece, but isn't that what the original poster wanted to know? If the tone range is wide? Of course, the acoustics, recording setup, etc. make it hard to judge. Would be better to hear the pieces live, of course. Still, the piano sounded good, especially the Schumann. Just my opinion and I am not an expert, of course.

Thanks Chopinlover49 !! If Dave felt the rhythm and transitions in the Brahms and Chopin recordings were choppy, so be it. I'm an amateur after all. ha And yes, I chose these recordings because the piano does sound different in each. Of course, the placement of the mic, the recording level, position of the piano lid, etc. varied - but all recordings were made with the same equipment.

Dave implies that the loudness of an instrument is more the function of the pianist than the instrument itself. I can assure you that I've played my fair share of concert grands in my life - but my own 2003 M&H is the only piano I've played where I felt compelled to rely heavily on the una corda pedal just to keep things under control. In fact, when I practice I prefer to keep the piano lid fully closed.

I do agree with Dave that my Brahms recording is "overplayed." I remember having trouble achieving the dynamic contrasts I wanted (with the lid fully raised) so I decided to go with the flow, give in to the power of the beast and bask in the glory of the sound. grin

For several years I found the touch of my Mason to be quite heavy. (Even started a thread about it on PW.) As a result, I had to work harder than usual to play certain pieces. Recently, I had my tech re-weight the keys and make other adjustments to lighten the touch (a long, complicated process). As a result the touch is now within a normal range - and guess what - I'm able to do more with color and dynamics. I hope that will be reflected in my next round of home recordings.

I know of a local piano teacher who has a M&H BB and a 7 foot Schimmel in his studio. I'm told that he prefers to keep the lid of the M&H fully closed much of the time because the Mason overpowers the sound of the Schimmel.

An acquaintance of mine sold new Masons. In conversations he admitted that the primary challenge with the BB is its overall loudness.

So yes - the Mason & Hamlin BB is a powerful instrument - but it definitely can be tamed !!

And my piano is in our living room, which although carpeted, is 20'x 28' and has a 20' cathedral ceiling. The sound really carries.

I know you're going to love your new BB !!!

#1968872 - 10/04/12 08:42 PM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: carey]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By: carey
Having been going through an exhaustive hunt for a new piano I've had a chance to play a number of M&H including some BBs as well a large number of Steinway Bs. I find that the Mason's are not well balanced or consistent from bass to treble - they sound like two different instruments, with the bass more prominent. While the bass has some immediate appeal I found the unmatched sound disturbing.

These were all recorded on a 2003 BB. Does the piano sound unbalanced or inconsistent from bass to treble??? smile

NOTE: There's no denying that the piano is LOUD - particularly in the Brahms - but I don't think that the sound is unbalanced from bass to treble. Of course, every piano is different......

It's difficult to judge piano tone from a youtube video, but from what I hear, I would have to say yes - it does sound unbalanced between bass and treble. The bass is big, rich, complex while the treble is thin and transparent. It's not bad - it's just different and I don't like the contrast from top to bottom. Some folks do and they will get years of enjoyment from their Mason's. The more I played on the BB that was first on my shortlist, the more annoyed I got with the contrast, so I moved on. But from what I hear on these recordings, the sound is similar to the experience I've had with Masons. I understand the appeal for some, but not for me - that's why we have different brands of pianos to choose from!

Edited by gmf001 (10/04/12 08:44 PM)

#1968952 - 10/05/12 02:20 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: gmf001]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It's difficult to judge piano tone from a youtube video, but from what I hear, I would have to say yes - it does sound unbalanced between bass and treble. The bass is big, rich, complex while the treble is thin and transparent. It's not bad - it's just different and I don't like the contrast from top to bottom. Some folks do and they will get years of enjoyment from their Mason's. The more I played on the BB that was first on my shortlist, the more annoyed I got with the contrast, so I moved on. But from what I hear on these recordings, the sound is similar to the experience I've had with Masons. I understand the appeal for some, but not for me - that's why we have different brands of pianos to choose from!

Vive la difference !!!!! thumb

#1969001 - 10/05/12 08:06 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: gmf001]
pianoloverus Offline

Almost no one likes a treble that's "thin"(that term is almost always used negatively). Many and perhaps most people, including me, wouldn't agree with your description of the BB's tone which your post somehow takes as a given. On my BB I don't have a problem with the balance between the bass and treble.

#1969018 - 10/05/12 09:00 AM Re: Late model Mason BB owners/lovers: Is this piano loud?!? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would suggest that you try a Mason-Hamlin AA to see the difference. I have heard that it is better balanced than some other models of Masons, so maybe that's what you're looking for? I tried one when shopping for a piano and it was very fine, but ultimately I chose a BB.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who invented the Compression Soundboard?
by chernobieff
09/20/14 11:46 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (alfredo capurso, Aljon, Anticlock, 24 invisible), 911 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157661 Topics
2315742 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission