Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1967054 - 09/30/12 08:01 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Possum, I'll post back when I've had a chance to give the organs a good workout. For now, I can say that they sound very "Korg." The annoying thing is that they've gone overboard on 888 percussion instead of providing a good selection of different drawbar registrations. This seems to be to make every patch as punchy as possible rather than provide the variety that a gigging keyboard player really needs. Oddly, some of the patches have switchable percussion, and others have it built into the sound.

I think that a few of these patches will be perfectly usable for me, and some of them sound very good as vintage emulations. It's not a clonewheel, and doesn't provide the depth of sound that well-modeled drawbar organs have, but there's enough there to work with.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1967065 - 09/30/12 08:28 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
So the organs are PCM, not clonewheel?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1967085 - 09/30/12 09:27 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
So the organs are PCM, not clonewheel?

I assume so, although on some patches they add a second clump of "drawbars" controlled by one of the switches. This is presumably done via the second oscillator (although I've not checked to verify this). I've just been testing a bunch of the organ patches, and I have to say that, if you accept the limitations, many of them sound very good.

For a mid-range instrument, this is turning out to be generally very good. I wasn't expecting flagship performance for $1,200, and as that is $1,000 less than an Electro, it's not bad to have a grand piano that rivals those offered by Nord, excellent Rhodes, passable (just) Wurlitzer, good organs, and a slew of orchestral and synth sounds that are much more usable than Clavia's - plus full workstation features, if you're into that kind of thing.

A note with regard to the AP. I think they've shortened decay times a tad to allow for the absence of looping, but, overall, I think it's going to be very playable. It's quite clearly sampled, as there are a couple of notes where the strings sound a little old!

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1967090 - 09/30/12 09:38 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

So it's a keeper then?

At least until Clavia release a new set of large-sized EPs, leading you to sell the Krome and buy an NE4. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#1967098 - 09/30/12 10:02 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
So it's a keeper then?

Not sure yet, James. It really depends on whether I can make it work sufficiently well in a two-keyboard rig - and without drawbars.

Quote:
At least until Clavia release a new set of large-sized EPs, leading you to sell the Krome and buy an NE4. wink

Am I that transparent? wink

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1971584 - 10/10/12 10:31 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just confirmed that the main AP & EPs offer 8 velocity levels (pretty sure they are all unblended). I haven't spent time listening for stretching yet.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1971612 - 10/10/12 11:44 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thanks VP!

8 velocity levels for the EP is pretty good!

James
x

#1971700 - 10/11/12 07:23 AM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
i have been studying this thread and others carefully regarding the Krome. it seems to get a lot of criticism from the gearheads (who view is as an R&B/funk oriented board), but it also seems that for the price- assuming the action is playable- this really offers an outstanding array of piano samples in a very lightweight and affordable performance board. and options for layering sounds and instruments for band-oriented mixes, etc.

if i look at it mainly as something lightweight to lug around- seems like a very attractive option to the Nord Piano ($3K) and the Rolands/ Kawais. and a step up in sample quality from the Privias...

So looking at this mainly as a performance piano(s)- not a bad idea?

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1971757 - 10/11/12 10:29 AM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

bfb, I would not consider the action in the 61 & 73 versions truly playable for piano - for that you should really be looking at the 88.

I think it is a viable alternative to the Nord instruments. You only get one main piano with multiple variations, plus a bunch of lesser "rompler" pianos, but I think the German Grand is up there with Nord's Grand Lady D, and has more tonal range. For Rhodes, there are some great patches covering all the essential variants, and I think they sound and play better than those in the Nord. Wurlitzer is passable, but I prefer the Wurli in other boards, including Nord's. Organs are plentiful but can't compete with clonewheels. I wouldn't buy this board for the solo synths - the Casio XW-P1 runs rings around it - but they (and the pads, orchestral sounds etc.) are still more usable than Nord's (except in the Stage) because you can edit them easily.

As for its performance credentials, there are sufficient performance controls to be able to tweak the essential parameters live, but you probably need to do a bit of editing beforehand. Due to rehearsal cancellations, I haven't been able to hear how the Krome holds up in an ensemble setting, but hopefully that will happen next week. I'm also debating whether to risk using it on a gig at the end of next week.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1971836 - 10/11/12 02:08 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

thanks voxpops...keep us posted..

yeah, i was definitely thinking about the 88. i know 73 keys is perfectly acceptable for piano, but there is something about those lost keys that gives me the creeps. So my interest is as a portable but professional sounding digital piano...

the Krome 88 weighs 32.4 lbs and is priced @ $1700. The only other workstation w/ 88 keys around that price/weight looks to be the Yamaha MOX8 at $1700 and 33 lbs. i wonder if its piano sample fares nearly as well..

there are a lot of stage piano options in that price range...

Roland 300NX $1800 38 lbs (good piano sample but "meh" on the action)
Korg SV-1 $1700 45 lbs (outdated piano sample w/ Kronos/Krome in marketplace)
Kawai MP6 $1500 47 lbs(no opinion- but seems like a possibility)
Yamaha CP300 $2000 72 lbs(YIKES!!... but then i have a P250 so i already know this..!)
Kawai EP3 $1100 46 lbs(interesting..should this be measured against p-105 and PX330?)
Yamaha CP50 $1700 46 lbs (nice samples but viewed as poor cousin to CP5?)

and of course one really should kick the tires on the P-105 and PX-150/350 if looking in this lightweight digital piano/keyboard arena- at $599-799 respectively

but it seems - on paper because i haven't really played several of these including the Krome - that the Krome stands up well against these DP's if the action is acceptable. should be favorable on piano samples (of course, individual tastes override any analysis), weight, and the versatility of a workstation without the big bucks....

it seems intriguing. Do workstations hold up as well as stage pianos?

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1971848 - 10/11/12 02:34 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Fortunately, the Krome 88 isn't quite as expensive as you suggest - $1600 at all the places I've seen it advertised.

Korg has had a few quality control issues over the past few years, but the Krome seems to be well constructed for a lightweight board. I'm mainly triggering my 73 from a weighted board, so that will reduce wear and tear on the Krome. However, I don't see any reason why it will suffer more degradation than a DP of similar weight.

I think the trade offs are in the sophistication of piano processing in recent dedicated DPs versus workstations. Although the Krome has eight velocity layers (more than most hardware DPs), it lacks blending and sympathetic resonance, for example. This is no worse than its sibling, the SV-1, say, but a Roland, such as the 300NX will have a smoother response. In practice, at a gig, these things will be totally unnoticeable.

On the plus side, pretty much everything's editable in a workstation. If I want to, I can change the velocity switching points to suit my personal playing style, and do 101 other things to wreck Korg's nice German Grand!

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1971888 - 10/11/12 03:25 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

great point on the piano processing/blending/sympathetic resonance... might be completely noticeable if playing the workstation as solo piano...

#1971972 - 10/11/12 06:13 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Tried the Krome 88 in a shop. Didn't like the keybed. It's really not on par with the better piano-type key beds, like Roland, Kawai , or even Casio. It's more comparable to what you find on the Kurzweils , like the PC3 series. Perhaps quite OK for allround work , that includes many non-piano sounds, but for piano play I would say no. Better to have a decent 88 and a 61 Krome , if you like the sound and controls of the Korg. Looks better too; on the 61 everything looks in balance , while the 88 looks quite ugly ; lot's of unused space and controls that seems lost on the surface of this big oil-tanker. It's lightweight, but bulky in size and looks.

#1971997 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting, JFP. Leaving aside the action, did you manage to get an impression of the pianos?

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#1973255 - 10/14/12 06:13 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: voxpops]
icarusi Offline

Anyone using velocity curve 9 on the Krome?

#1973835 - 10/15/12 10:43 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: JFP]
mrcpro Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: JFP
Tried the Krome 88 in a shop. Didn't like the keybed. It's really not on par with the better piano-type key beds, like Roland, Kawai , or even Casio.

Just by chance I found a Krome 88 all set up in the middle of the keyboard room when I went to the Clakamas GC this afternoon looking for a PX-350. The action is beyond bad. The actions on the lowly M50 88 and MOX8 next to it felt wonderfully expressive by comparison.

I don't think anyone considering a Krome 88 for DP duties would be happy with it even though I thought it's piano sounded really good.

There was no PX-350 unfortunately. Maybe next time...

#2055336 - 03/27/13 08:50 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: mrcpro]
karlosserio Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
On a side note and being a previous Korg Triton Studio owner I can tell you that most of the sounds on the Krome are the same Korg sounds of the past decade, dated and bad programming. The patch names brought bad memories of those same sounds being unusable and digital sounding.
It has a decent piano sound but the brass, reed and strings are horrible. Construction wise my run on the Krome made me fell like I was playing a really cheap Casio.
Dead line: Not worth it!

#2055440 - 03/28/13 01:41 AM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
The ones I looked at seemed to be cheaply put together. Light weight over quality build. No thanks.

#2055478 - 03/28/13 04:24 AM Re: Korg Krome [Re: anotherscott]
MFBlueFly Offline

The Krome 88 keyboard is very nice, all you have to do is change the velocity curve and it makes a world of difference, I change the VC to suite, if I want a crisp light action I use number 5, for soft mellow music 9 is good and the default 4 is also good and quite dynamic.

Like all acoustic and digital pianos it has it's own characteristics, the questions as always is down to the individual, if you like it it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's been said many times on these forums that sound and feel are a very personal thing, no one can tell you if a keyboard is good or bad, you need to go find out for yourself, however 5 minutes in a shop isn't going to be of any use as you just can't tell from that.

I admit when I first had my Krome I was very doubtful of the action but now I have absolutely no regrets, the sound and feel for me is just fine, not perfect but nothing is.

Cheers

Mart

Edited by MFBlueFly (03/28/13 04:24 AM)

Martin

#2055678 - 03/28/13 01:10 PM Re: Korg Krome [Re: JFP]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
Tried the Krome 88 in a shop. Didn't like the keybed. It's really not on par with the better piano-type key beds, like Roland, Kawai , or even Casio. It's more comparable to what you find on the Kurzweils , like the PC3 series. Perhaps quite OK for allround work , that includes many non-piano sounds, but for piano play I would say no. Better to have a decent 88 and a 61 Krome , if you like the sound and controls of the Korg. Looks better too; on the 61 everything looks in balance , while the 88 looks quite ugly ; lot's of unused space and controls that seems lost on the surface of this big oil-tanker. It's lightweight, but bulky in size and looks.

I agree 100%. It looks really nice as a 61 key workstation but for me does not cut it as a weighted keyboard. I use the 61 for fun, writing, playing B3 sounds etc.. For $799 I think it was well worth the money for what I am using it for.
I purchased KSounds $50 organ soundset for more B3 variety. I also did some edits to the best of Triton soundset- I recognized some of the titles from the Triton LE. I think the Krome is superior to the LE.

Note; I have this next to a Korg SP280. I think this newer piano sounds fantastic, the speakers are great and the action is improved over the SP170. Although some of the other pianos in the price range (if not all) have actions that could be deemed better, none have the clarity of the SP280 and I have always liked the Korg sound better.

Also as someone mentioned, the Korg 61 velocity does not reach 100 for the piano sounds, but you can edit the 8 breakpoints for where the different samples switch over.
This is a nice feature.

There are also things not available in specifications.
For example, the Krome sounds much better through my monitors than the PX130, 350 or P95.

The Krome is still a workstation; and not a DP. Its a solid workstation with a nice piano sound. Not a DP or DP substitute.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (Alex1, accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 45 invisible), 1808 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156137 Topics
2292832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
14 minutes 5 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
33 minutes 33 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
42 minutes 12 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
43 minutes 1 second ago
The Princess: from Waltz of the Asparagus People
by Piano World
47 minutes 23 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission