Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1959513 - 09/16/12 06:45 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Rune E Offline

Loc: Sweden

..your dentist tells you so

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1959846 - 09/16/12 07:20 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Oh man....

This sounds like an AA meeting.

But I just broke up with a woman I was dating....

One of my first thoughts was oh man. My second thought was well I can spend more time playing on my piano 3hearts

#1960132 - 09/17/12 12:33 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: justpin]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: justpin
Oh man....

One of my first thoughts was oh man. My second thought was well I can spend more time playing on my piano 3hearts

Haha! It's always the first thing I think of too when anything bad happens. Or anything good. Or anything at all really. I recently got a pay rise at work and you can guess what was going around in my head as my boss was listing the (literally) hundreds of additional responsibilities I will have.... All I could hear was "piano, piano PIANO more money to buy a piano" as he was talking. I left his office with no idea what the job even entails, but I do know that I now have more money with which to buy a piano.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1960223 - 09/17/12 03:08 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Tubbie0075]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
When you sometimes sit beside your piano just admiring it, or when you pat your piano lightly before or after playing, appreciating it like a friend or pet.

Chopin was known to do that.

#1965545 - 09/27/12 11:28 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Rune E]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: Rune E

..your dentist tells you so

LOVE IT!!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1965546 - 09/27/12 11:29 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: justpin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh man....

LOL!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1965548 - 09/27/12 11:30 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Toastie]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Toastie
Oh man....

Haha! It's always the first thing I think of too when anything bad happens. Or anything good. Or anything at all really. I recently got a pay rise at work and you can guess what was going around in my head as my boss was listing the (literally) hundreds of additional responsibilities I will have.... All I could hear was "piano, piano PIANO more money to buy a piano" as he was talking. I left his office with no idea what the job even entails, but I do know that I now have more money with which to buy a piano.

Cool Toastie.!! I was at a seminar the other day and was tapping out chords with my pen- all I could think of was piano.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1965549 - 09/27/12 11:32 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: -Frycek]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
When you sometimes sit beside your piano just admiring it, or when you pat your piano lightly before or after playing, appreciating it like a friend or pet.

Chopin was known to do that.

Did he? Awesome! I do that too. I say goodnight to mine each night. And there are two framed pictures of Chopin on top of my Piano. heart

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966035 - 09/29/12 02:16 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Toastie Offline

When you suffer from nightly piano insomnia. I have decided that my increasing obsession with piano is a bit like when you first fall in love, as currently I also feel sick all the time and can't eat properly. Madness!
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1966647 - 09/30/12 03:00 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
...you have a category 4 typhoon bearing down on you and all you are worrying about is losing power and not being able to play piano.

This is a really good argument for an accoustic, isn't it?
three typhoons later (!), I've lost power twice. The first time, ~half a day; this time a full day and counting!

I really need an acoustic!

#1966870 - 09/30/12 03:14 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Tubbie0075]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany

So glad that I'm not the only one doing that...

My hubby says that he is glad that I never looked at another man like I look at the piano.

So what else can I add... Maybe another sign is that someone leaning against the piano or - gasp - putting something on top of it - changes you into a sable tooth tiger mother defending her cubs?

#1966872 - 09/30/12 03:16 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

When you miss your piano when you are out and say hello to it when you come in. laugh

Toastie it might indeed be piano 3hearts

Mary Ann I had my piano lesson last Wednesday afternoon and suddenly in the middle of the lesson it started to thunder! My teacher and I looked at each other and found it quite atmopsheric. Piano is 110 years old so no problems playing during a storm LOL.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966873 - 09/30/12 03:18 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Barbareola]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Barbareola

So glad that I'm not the only one doing that...

My hubby says that he is glad that I never looked at another man like I look at the piano.

So what else can I add... Maybe another sign is that someone leaning against the piano or - gasp - putting something on top of it - changes you into a sable tooth tiger mother defending her cubs?

LOL Barbareola!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1967010 - 09/30/12 06:43 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
I thought there was a way to do multiple quotes in a reply but I can't figure it out. *confused*

Anyway, in response to Tubbie, Frycek, EdwardianPiano and Barbareola: I am also a confirmed piano-petter. It's nice to know that I'm in good company. smile

Edited by piano_deb (09/30/12 06:46 PM)

#1967037 - 09/30/12 07:28 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: piano_deb]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: piano_deb
I thought there was a way to do multiple quotes in a reply but I can't figure it out. *confused*

Anyway, in response to Tubbie, Frycek, EdwardianPiano and Barbareola: I am also a confirmed piano-petter. It's nice to know that I'm in good company. smile

You just select the quote button and it does the rest Deb. Piano petters LOL! Do you bid your piano a goodnight as well?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1967051 - 09/30/12 07:58 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

When you listen to the Raindrop Prelude and write a piano story:

http://www.helium.com/items/2139982-piano-fiction

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1967059 - 09/30/12 08:17 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
...you have a category 4 typhoon bearing down on you and all you are worrying about is losing power and not being able to play piano.

This is a really good argument for an accoustic, isn't it?

I've been thinking this for 2 years. Using electronic pianos, I found that there is NOTHING more boring than a blackout... and NOT having a piano to play. Blackouts are the perfect time for piano, so I have an acoustic on the way.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

#1967162 - 10/01/12 02:32 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: EdwardianPiano]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
The leccie came back on at 4am and it was all I could do not to run downstairs and start playing. I would have, but I really needed the sleep!

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Mary Ann I had my piano lesson last Wednesday afternoon and suddenly in the middle of the lesson it started to thunder! My teacher and I looked at each other and found it quite atmopsheric. Piano is 110 years old so no problems playing during a storm LOL.
During the first of the recent typhoons, I was asking a piano friend here for atmospheric suggestions to play during the typhoon. He was playing Chopin's Fantasie Impromtu and suggested something by Janacek. I'll have to look it up...

#1967206 - 10/01/12 08:04 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

How about the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1967334 - 10/01/12 02:13 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: EdwardianPiano]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Originally Posted By: piano_deb

You just select the quote button and it does the rest Deb.

That only selects the one post ... How do I select multiples from a thread and reply to them all in one post?

#1967464 - 10/01/12 06:11 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: piano_deb]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh I see... I just select them, copy and paste and then use the speech marks you see by the smileys. Highlight the text then click on the speech marks.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/01/12 06:11 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1968525 - 10/04/12 02:09 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: JeanieA]
Tap Dancer Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Are all you guys insane? If you are addicts, you should be playing in the early hours at 3-5am instead of e-mailing every one at this time. I have often been shouted down to stop playing. Screw every one, it's my house. I know I am an addict. I have compiled my own list if anyone wants to read it. to be continued...

#1968712 - 10/04/12 01:51 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Toastie Offline

Yes, please show us your list Tap Dancer.

I need a to add another sign of addiction:

When you lose loads of weight because instead of eating breakfast or lunch you play piano when you have got a break.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1968721 - 10/04/12 02:21 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Tap Dancer]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tap Dancer
Are all you guys insane? If you are addicts, you should be playing in the early hours at 3-5am instead of e-mailing every one at this time. I have often been shouted down to stop playing. Screw every one, it's my house. I know I am an addict. I have compiled my own list if anyone wants to read it. to be continued...

Well I would if I didn't have neighbours! I was practising last night about 10.20 pm, when the fellow in the house behind mine me knocked my door! I thought he was coming to complain but he wasn't- he wanted to come in and see me play so I invited him in. We are on friendly terms and he said before til 11 pm was fine- now he said any time cos he is up all night studying The lady next to me says she nebver hears me. I still wouldn't play past 1 am tho.
Awaiting your list!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/04/12 02:23 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1968792 - 10/04/12 04:51 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
atinm Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
When you're late for dropping kid to school and while rushing to the door, stop and play a quick phrase because the piano was on the way to the door! Had this happen today . . . smile

#1968935 - 10/05/12 12:52 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Tap Dancer]
Tap Dancer Offline

Loc: San Francisco
1 you play 2 hours every day for 2 weeks playing the same piece.
2.you wake up in the iddle of the night just to hit iddle c on the piano in the dark.
3.you bought 4 different editions of the same piece
4. you play piano in the dark imitating a famous blind pianist.
5.you get phone calls from your neighbors to play requests
6.you tune your own piano every 3 months.
7.you request people not to put their drinks or plates, filled or not
8. you put a mirror fallboard on your grand piano
you wipe the keyboard clean with alcohol after someone plays your piano.
9. you hear a piece in a recital and go home and play it better.!

#1968947 - 10/05/12 01:26 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: atinm]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: atinm
When you're late for dropping kid to school and while rushing to the door, stop and play a quick phrase because the piano was on the way to the door! Had this happen today . . . smile

ha I did this the other day. I had a few extra minutes before leaving and sat at the piano to fill the time. Naturally, I got absorbed and distracted.

I was 10 minutes late to my appointment. whome

#1969019 - 10/05/12 09:01 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: BenPiano]
Farmerjones Offline

- you start making a mental map of all the grand pianos in the area, like an orangatan maps out cumquat trees in the jungle. smile

#1969037 - 10/05/12 09:52 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

You want people to come round and meet your Piano and you have a photo on your phone to show people.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1969072 - 10/05/12 11:32 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Farmerjones Offline

- get a little too gushy when discussing one's repertoire.
(caught myself, just today) Accidently come off sounding a little overly proud. Where in truth im simply hooked on these full luscious tones eminating from this wonderous box. To play it is to be in love. Whoops i did it again. smile

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
Who's Online
137 registered (ando, ajames, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1534 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158397 Topics
2326012 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission