2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Even after the great mans bicentenary year, he is still hit by the same prejudices and criticisms that have pervaded him both his whole life, and since his death.

Because of this, I have decided to make a thread dedicated to him. (Obviously this has been done with the e-cital, but I want to make a broader sort of thread). This is a thread for discussing Liszt, posting his music, and basically celebrating him. The thread is for everyone, but aimed at people who are particularly enthusiastic about the man and his music.

I'll start the thread by posting some rare-ish works of his that I have been listening to a fair bit lately...

Last edited by pianojosh23; 01/03/12 09:25 PM.
Glad to see some of his "off the beaten [stabbed, shoved, forced, attacked] track" works celebrated! What an incredible figure he was, too...

P
P
I'm always confused by people who think that Liszt's music is somehow just flashy, ostentatious show-off pieces that forsake any kind of depth. I always find delicate, passionate harmonies in Liszt's pieces, which are buttressed by his imaginative, visceral pianistic effects.

I was just reading a new biography of Ravel (my favorite piano composer) and apparently his library included a whole ton of Liszt, and you can tell by Ravel's piano music that he encountered a fair amount of Liszt.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Psychic Ravel
I'm always confused by people who think that Liszt's music is somehow just flashy, ostentatious show-off pieces that forsake any kind of depth. I always find delicate, passionate harmonies in Liszt's pieces, which are buttressed by his imaginative, visceral pianistic effects.

I was just reading a new biography of Ravel (my favorite piano composer) and apparently his library included a whole ton of Liszt, and you can tell by Ravel's piano music that he encountered a fair amount of Liszt.

Ravel owes a lot to Liszt's late works, especially Jeux d'eaux de la Villa d'Este, which to me is the first Impressionistic piano piece.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Ravel owes a lot to Liszt's late works, especially Jeux d'eaux de la Villa d'Este, which to me is the first Impressionistic piano piece.

Actually, isn't his much earlier "Au bord d'une source" just as impressionistic? but yes, I think Liszt was first in this regard.

Sophia

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by sophial

Actually, isn't his much earlier "Au bord d'une source" just as impressionistic? but yes, I think Liszt was first in this regard.

Sophia

Not as much, but still, yes. I've never heard this particular recording before. It is much slower than the recording I have on CD, but it is very charming, nonetheless.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I consider this one of his masterworks:

What a journey!

Last edited by didyougethathing; 01/04/12 02:05 AM.
I always thought this piece was beautiful.

It's bummer people don't play it very often compared to the other consolations.

-Will

Last edited by Dachshund; 01/04/12 02:19 AM. Reason: fixed the link
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by didyougethathing

What a journey!

Ahhh....F# Major, Liszt's Key for the Divine...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dachshund

-Will

I've also loved this piece for quite some time.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also love Totentanz (the version with orchestra)! Sure, there's some flash, but there are great moments in there.

The part from 4:48-4:58 in the 2nd part just takes my breath away. So "movie score" for its time!

Last edited by didyougethathing; 01/04/12 02:45 AM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Sophia

Well, yes and no. I always thought of Au bord as more of a Romantic nature study, or otherwise Schumann's Waldscenen would handily predate it. There's no doubt that somewhere in there the seed was planted, but Jeux d'eaux I think is more along the lines of the subject matter that Debussy and Ravel used. He becomes less of a cantor and more of a painter.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

I never got it either. He did write a lot of stuff merely to show off his unsurpassed technical equipment (like the opera fantasies), but even most of them are void of empty virtuosity, which he would be excused for anyway seeing as that's more or less what he wrote them for. Some of these works are really terrific too, like the inspired Norma fantasy. People always say there is a good deal of trash in his oeuvre, but there is actually very little void of interest, even when he was writing for show off purposes (which is not really a bad thing in the end, seeing as he wrote so much music for musical purposes). Like all composers, he wrote masterpieces, good pieces, and average-'bad' pieces. I do think that a lot of Liszt can be an acquired taste though, as it is often in his best stuff a unique style of writing, and very virtuosic which can put people, especially those with a prejudiced mind, off despite how good the music is.

What a journey!

Yes! I agree, absolutely a masterwork. Always one of my very favourites! Thankyou!

-Will

Agreed. All of the consolations are very beautiful pieces, but 3 (and to a lesser extent, 2) seems to be the only one that's played. It's a shame, because they are all little gems.

I also love Totentanz (the version with orchestra)! Sure, there's some flash, but there are great moments in there.

The part from 4:48-4:58 in the 2nd part just takes my breath away. So "movie score" for its time!

Yes I love the Totentanz too! Terrific piece. My favourite recording is from Zimerman, who to me gets it pretty much perfect. (In fact Zimerman in both Liszt's concerti and the Totentanz is pretty much perfect IMO, transforming these oft-critisized works into the masterpieces they deserve to be).

Here he is in the Totentanz:

Sophia

Well, yes and no. I always thought of Au bord as more of a Romantic nature study, or otherwise Schumann's Waldscenen would handily predate it. There's no doubt that somewhere in there the seed was planted, but Jeux d'eaux I think is more along the lines of the subject matter that Debussy and Ravel used. He becomes less of a cantor and more of a painter.

I agree with you there. I also think however that the first Légende is very impressionistic, and it was written a fair bit before the Jeux d'éaux. Then again while I have an idea, i'm not 100% sure of what impressionistic fully entails - what the 'requirements' are, especially when dealing with a piece firmly in the time of the romantic era. Maybe this is more a romantic nature study too? It always struck me as very impressionistic, however.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 01/04/12 07:55 AM.
D
DBC Offline
D
A masterpiece played by one of my favourite pianists Dinu Lipatti.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRt8txTphY8

Last edited by DBC; 01/04/12 03:33 PM.
Like so many of his works these are absolutely transcendental.

The beauty of Beethoven can be so overwhelming that my bones ache and I forget to breath. Chopin seems to willfully destroy my emotions leaving behind a blubbering mess. But only Liszt's compositions are banned from my work hours as nothing else becomes possible when captured in his enchantment.

Liszt alone steals my soul and returns it transformed for the better.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I've been listening to the Faust Symphony a lot lately...Love love love this work! One of my favourite symphonies by anyone...It's better in context with all the transformations and all that, but this movement takes my breath away every time...It has to be one of the greatest movements in any symphony IMO.

Conducted by Bernstein who called the symphony 'Liszt's only authentic masterpiece.' Obviously a load of rubbish when there is the Sonata, the Christus Oratorio, Benediction, and more, but still that's high praise of this work by a great conductor.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 01/04/12 06:44 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I'm an admirer of Liszt, the man and the music, I dare to say that I know how important he has been, historically, musically, pianistically, but, BUT: he tends to be a vehicle for some pianists to show off their own musical shallowness in such a way that it has an effect, unfortunately, on his reputation. Liszt at his best deserves pianists at their best, as do Chopin, Mendelssohn, Schumann and all the others.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

The other consolations are often overlooked and sometimes it takes just a certain touch. This was posted in the members recording subforum and I was quite taken by it.

Consolation #1

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I like the first Liebestraum from the set of three Liebestraums more than the second and third.

E
E
I've always had a soft spot for Sonetto 104 del Petrarca...

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission