2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have to play it in a recital on 27th of November, and I've stupidly left it till this week to start learning it. Yikes :P
Will be really interesting to see whether I can do it though.

Anyone else miscalculated their deadlines like this before? How did it turn out?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
did it in a week, really

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
did it in a week, really

not everyone is as talented as you

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think you can do it if you practice thoughtfully.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
You could just stop after the chords right before the coda for an "up in the air" interpretation? Or maybe just resolve the last chord before the coda and say this is the newly discovered version?

Unless this is a pre-announced program do you really have to play this if you feel uncomfortable about preparing it in time? Unless you've opted out of/changed a piece many times before(which I doubt), it might be OK to make a change.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/29/12 05:56 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
no one has to be as talented as me, but if the pressure is there, and one is 'of the profession' , well, there you are, I'm not being frivolous/mocking, just serious.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yes I've already submitted the programme. I could change it I suppose, but I would still have to learn 12 minutes of something else. Also I need the Ballade for other things so it has to be done at some point. I'd rather not change the programme for a professional engagement though. It doesn't look very, well, professional lol. But then again neither does leaving it too late to learn the pieces :P.

It's taken me just under a week to learn the coda. I'll keep you all updated haha laugh

Last edited by debrucey; 09/29/12 06:06 PM.
Originally Posted by debrucey
I have to play it in a recital on 27th of November....

Whaddaya mean, "have to"?

Yes I've already submitted the programme. I could change it I suppose, but I would still have to learn 12 minutes of something else....

Oh, I see. ha

Change the friggin' program.

I'd rather not change the programme for a professional engagement though. It doesn't look very, well, professional lol...

They will hardly care.

If you feel you really can learn the piece real well by then -- or, I think we really have to say, within just 1 month, because most people would need to do that, rather than just barely having it learned by the time of the performance -- then go ahead. If you have real doubt, change the friggin' program.

And if you do go ahead and learn it because you're pretty sure you can have it comfortably under your belt by then, I think this is an instance where you'll be best off doing something that I'd hardly ever suggest when it comes to things like this: hedge your bets, and make sure you have something else that will certainly be ready 'just in case' you wind up not being comfortable enough with the Ballade.

Anyone else miscalculated their deadlines like this before? How did it turn out?

Sure.
And I changed the program. smile

And BTW....

....It's taken me just under a week to learn the coda.

What exactly do you mean by "learn"? ha

I'm sure you're better than I am, but.....it took me about a day and a half to "learn" it, and another few years before I dared play it in public!

Having "learned" a passage or a piece can mean so many different things....

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Come on, 2 months isn't so bad :P Might not be super polished but it's not hard to pull off.

If you have to practice a lot of other stuff you might be a bit squeezed for time.

Last edited by trigalg693; 09/30/12 01:51 AM.
T
T
I have to play the 3rd and 4th movements of Chopin's Op. 35 next week but I haven't started practicing until yesterday. I might need to cancel.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well... the first part of the balad is not 'too bad' in technical terms really. The CODA is the problem, so you're not looking too bad I'd say.

Keep us posted please and best of luck!

(The above is raw technical mumbo jumbo crap... heh)

Originally Posted by Nikolas
Well... the first part of the balad is not 'too bad' in technical terms really. The CODA is the problem, so you're not looking too bad I'd say....

You really think that's about it? grin

(It ain't.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
(the above is technical mumbo jumbo crap... heh)

That should explain further...

I hope that means you weren't serious about any of it. smile

Online Content
Yes I've already submitted the programme. I could change it I suppose, but I would still have to learn 12 minutes of something else. Also I need the Ballade for other things so it has to be done at some point. I'd rather not change the programme for a professional engagement though. It doesn't look very, well, professional lol. But then again neither does leaving it too late to learn the pieces :P.
I agree that when a professional makes a commitment to perform it's much better to keep the commitment if at all possible. I assumed this was probably the reason you felt committed to perform this piece that has you somewhat under the gun at this point.

Perhaps you can find ways to lighten your work load in other ways in the next two months so you will have enough time to learn the Ballade to an appropriate level. I'm sure your teacher has at some point in his past not scheduled enough time to learn a piece so he can probably give you some advice here.

I once taught math to a brilliant high school student who started violin rather late but became extremely good very quickly. He eventually was good enough to play in various orchestras in Europe. The music director at Trinity High School hired this boy for some musical production a year after the boy had graduated from Trinity. But at the last minute the boy cancelled his performance. The musical director told me he would never hire the boy again.

I know, but will not go into details, of a similar situation involving much higher level musicians at the Mannes IKIF.

So I think debrucey is wise to try and make the best of a difficult situation and find a way to learn the Ballade in time.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/12 11:50 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Judging by the speed things are going at the moment, I will be able to do it in time. But it's definitely the biggest challenge I've ever set myself so far lol

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...] I've stupidly left it till this week to start learning it.[...]

One is very tempted to ask "why"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Is that such an interesting question? Why does anyone ever misjudge deadlines? A combination of procrastination, other things getting in the way and taking too much on in the first place.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Is that such an interesting question? Why does anyone ever misjudge deadlines? A combination of procrastination, other things getting in the way and taking too much on in the first place.

I presume that you thought it an interesting situation since you started a thread about it. My question was prompted by the fact that it appears - although this may not be the case - that you have not studied this work before, a work considered by some to be among Chopin's most challenging. Most "mortals" I know, including some pretty advanced pianists, would never consider tackling and making a commitment to perform such a work without allowing the time to both learn it and live with it until one feels s/he "owns" it.

Of course I wish you success with it, but the situation did beg the question, I thought.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
....a work considered by some to be among Chopin's most challenging....

Actually you understated it! smile

I think it's very safe to say that it's considered by all to be among Chopin's most challenging (that is, all who know enough about Chopin's works to talk about it), and by very many to be his very most challenging.

Which is why it's hard to know what one means and how significant it is when he says he has "learned" the coda, or whatever part of the piece.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission