Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1939267 - 08/08/12 10:33 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

In this case, the difference is that the intro has the LH only.

but I've noticed that the Fabers seem to use it a lot to mark off introductions.

that makes perfect sense now... Thank you!

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1961524 - 09/20/12 11:53 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Michael Taylor]
atinm Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
I know this is very late and I am only just catching up with this thread, but as I've seen this asked a few times: according to the Piano Adventures site, the follow up to Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 is Piano Adventures 3A in the main series. I think their catalog is available as a pdf on their website homepage and it has a flowchart of how things are supposed to progress according to them.

Edited by atinm (09/20/12 11:59 AM)

#1961554 - 09/20/12 12:49 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
atinm Offline

Glad to find this thread - it is interesting that the Alfred course threads on pianoworld are so much busier than the Faber & Faber thread even though it seems PA is preferred over Alfreds by a lot of teachers. Maybe Alfred's is better known amongst adults while PA is better known for kids. But luckily my teacher was fine with me using Adult PA as I want my 5 year old to learn from PA (the kids version) as well.

I am 45 and acquired a 1916 Henry F Miller upright off craigslist for free (except for the moving!) a couple of months ago and cleaned it up, fixed some of the regulation myself (I am somewhat handy and bought the tools I needed), replaced some of the felts and adjusted some of the hammers/dampers that were off kilter and fixed stuck keys etc. Finally got a piano tuner to tune it (and teach me to maintain it so I can keep it in tune between professional tunings - he did say the piano is quite nice and doesn't have any problems except age) and started futzing around until I decided I really should just get a teacher.

After some research, I decided I wanted to learn from PA and so looked for a teacher who was familiar with it and was lucky enough to find a young guy who just finished his master's in piano performance and was tutoring my niece for SAT prep!

My goal is to be able to pick up any piece of piano repertoire and be able to sight read and play it well enough to be recognizable, and to be enjoyable for both me and any listeners - basically the same as what I can do on guitar. The goal is not to perfect every piece in Adult PA, but rather to learn what there is to learn in each piece and move on. We've been going through Adult PA 1, and I am up to Shepherd's Song and the Rameau minuet. The idea is that I want to get through the two adult books and then just work on pieces in the repertoire though I will most probably continue working in the method anyway to give some sort of direction.

Given that the goal is to be able to sight read really well, I am also working on sight reading separately using "Sightreading and Rhythm Everyday" by Helen Marlais, Kevin Olson. I also print out pieces from impls.org and use them as sight reading practice though most are still too far above where I am. I also have some of the supplementary Faber and Faber stuff like their sight reading book and gold star performance book to keep me practicing sight reading.

I recently read "Guided Sight-Reading" by Leonard Deutsch (http://www.scribd.com/doc/38451545/Piano-Guided-Sight-Reading-by-Leonhard-Deutsch-1950) that I found very interesting (I found a pdf online), as it talks about how teaching piano seems to be mostly about memorizing rather than learning to sight-read and that most people sight-read about 2 levels below their playing and therefore people are missing out because the pieces being practiced during this period aren't very interesting (though PA does have slightly better music than I thought it would). I noticed this myself, it is a lot more painful to me to have to learn things measure by measure because my sight-reading hasn't kept up yet to what I can put into my muscle/musical memory so I am working on this now so that I can sight-read anything at the same level as I can play . . . we shall see how that goes! The books also talks about a style of teaching where the student and teacher sight-read everything together, the teacher playing higher on the keyboard and the student basically playing along, learning "on-the-fly" while sight-reading. I have found that I do better when my teacher plays with me, because then I can see exactly what he is doing, how it is supposed to sound and can try to imitate his motions directly with instant feedback when it doesn't sound similar. We shall see if this makes things easier over the next few weeks!

Edited by atinm (09/20/12 06:14 PM)

#1962282 - 09/21/12 08:33 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Tech 5 Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I'm using Adult Piano Adventures...just started it 3 weeks ago with a teacher who gives 1hr lessons at my house. I also use the Children's Piano Adventures. She has me practice from both books, but primarily the adult book is the one we use.

You are far more advanced than I am at this time. I'm in level one books.

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden

#1965604 - 09/28/12 02:49 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Question again... at the beginning of this page, how to play the note with an accent mark AND a "p"? I thought accent mark means louder... how can a louder sign and a soft sign go together?

Thanks!

#1967244 - 10/01/12 09:56 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
atinm Offline

I think it means "a little louder" than 'p' and getting louder (cresc.). At least, that is what I think - but you may want to ask this in a more generic post rather than within the Faber&Faber thread as many of the teachers or advanced ABF players may not be reading this thread!

#1967346 - 10/01/12 02:51 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: atinm]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, Atinm! I'll see if I can find answers somewhere else, will post back if I have any answers.

I'm working on my dynamics... so going slow on turning pages...:)

How's your sight-reading lessons coming along? I'm sure you are enjoying it!

#1967750 - 10/02/12 12:14 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
atinm Offline

The sight-reading is going well, thanks. I do all playing via sight-reading and very little memorization though I can't help memorizing the easy pieces in F&F Adult Book 1 after a few tries so I am also doing the exercises in "Sight-Reading and Rhythm Everyday" everyday. I can't wait to get through the two F&F Adult books so that I can start to tackle real repertoire . . . I figure that the RCM syllabus has F&F upto Book 2B in their "preparatory A and B" levels but then they go to repertoire so I will do the same!

#1967780 - 10/02/12 02:05 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Wish4 Thing
Question again... at the beginning of this page, how to play the note with an accent mark AND a "p"? I thought accent mark means louder... how can a louder sign and a soft sign go together?!

It means, relative to an overall p dynamic, accent those notes. So yes, they'll sound a bit louder than your basic p might sound. They're not getting specifically louder (each louder than the previous one), though, until the crescendo sign at m. 13. [The preceding sentence is wrong: correction in a following post. Thanks, atinm!] Then, within the general idea of getting louder, you continue accenting the first beat of each measure. So for example in m.14 D# is actually slightly louder than F#.

If you listen to excellent pianists, there are always subtle variations of dynamics going on, even if they're playing within one dynamic marking. They are experts at having a myriad of ways to touch and sound a note.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (10/02/12 02:34 PM)
Edit Reason: mistake: missed cresc. and dim.

#1967785 - 10/02/12 02:23 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
atinm Offline

Thanks PianoStudent88 - I wasn't sure if I was actually correct about the louder part though now I have to ask my teacher what the cresc. and dim. mean in measures 9-12 if it doesn't mean going up and down!

#1967787 - 10/02/12 02:31 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh oh oh! I apologize, my big mistake! I missed the cresc. and dim. words in mm. 9 and 11. You're absolutely right: getting louder from mm.9-11, getting softer from the end of m.11 through m. 12, and then getting louder again, this time notated with the hairpin symbol instead of the cresc. word.

#1967788 - 10/02/12 02:35 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Another thought: accenting might not be synonymous solely with playing louder. For example, what articulation makes sense for these notes: legato? Staccato? Something in between? In between but closer to staccato, or to legato? And/or you could play with how you leave the key -- how the dampers come back to the string. Do you want the dampers to come down gently or abruptly? This also affects the sound. (I don't have good conscious control of this level of sophistication in my playing, but I've read about it, and wonder if the key for me (no pun intended smile ) will be not in thinking about dampers, but in paying attention to how I'm touching the keys and how I'm using all parts of my body, from legs to fingertips.)

#1968147 - 10/03/12 09:03 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
atinm Offline

As the OP is farther ahead than me, he might be able to do some of the more sophisticated touches you are writing about. Me - I'm on Adult Book 1 and mostly happy when I can find the keys and keep time after a few tries! wink

#1968192 - 10/03/12 11:05 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: atinm]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, PianoStudent88 and atinm! I was going to ask the question on Faber's website, but my registration didn't get approved until last night. and now I've got the perfect answer from both of you, thank you!

Originally Posted By: atinm
As the OP is farther ahead than me

I'm a forever beginner:) I'm sure you'll catch up very soon, especially you come from guitar background, that experience definitely helps!

I don't have good conscious control of this level of sophistication in my playing

I've listened to some of your pieces in the quarterly recitals. Your playings sound really nice to my ears.

Last weekend, one of my friends sent me her son's recent recording, I really love the dynamics in the video. The other friend's son is with the same teacher. So I can see the same dynamics pattern in both boys...

Just as what you said,
If you listen to excellent pianists, there are always subtle variations of dynamics going on, even if they're playing within one dynamic marking. They are experts at having a myriad of ways to touch and sound a note.
These 2 boys are not excellent pianists yet, but their teacher is, he used to play Chopin and that's how he teaches his student...

A and C

This might not be new to you since most of you have teachers, smile but for me, I feel like their progress from the past few months really enlightens me... just wanted to share with you:)

Thanks again!

#1968273 - 10/03/12 03:12 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

hmmm, sorry for another stupid question from me: what is "with motion"? (Evening Guitars, page 38 of Accelerated Lesson Book 2)

here is what I found on internet:
Quote:
The tempo marking “Con moto” usually designates “a fairly brisk speed for the beat.” The alternate definition from the New Music Student Dictionary is “to move your body when you play.”

so, does it mean brisk speed or body moving?

#1968336 - 10/03/12 05:22 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
atinm Offline

Brisk speed -- though if you are happily bopping your body with the music, no one should complain unless it makes your playing suffer. In fact, many writers on piano technique (like Abby Whiteside) expect your body to be involved when playing.

#1968346 - 10/03/12 05:50 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: atinm]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, atinm! That helps a lot!

I started Faber's (accelerated) book 2 after Alfred's All-In-One Level 1. so I might have missed the concept introduced in Faber book 1...

In book 2, it talked about Andante, Moderato and Allegro, but not "with motion", that's what confused me. Thanks for the clarification!

#1975618 - 10/19/12 10:12 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
warlock214 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hello all! Just started in the Faber and Faber Adult PA Book 1 as well as lessons with an instructor last night. My instructor is ordering a Christmas Book with a few songs that I should be able to play by Christmas. So I'm gonna spend some time this weekend reading and practicing.

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

#1975644 - 10/19/12 11:12 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Welcome, warlock214! Enjoy your reading and practicing!

#1979402 - 10/27/12 07:01 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
warlock214 Offline

After one lesson, I'm up to p.19/Unit 1. Trying to get both hands in sync to finish Ode To Joy! I'm practicing one line at a time. The book wants me to play the last 4 measures with both hands. I can play the last 4 measures with both hands slowly. But missing notes when I try to speed up. Any suggestions?

Casio Privia PX-150

#1979471 - 10/27/12 09:50 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
If I recall correctly, both hands are playing the same notes, an octave (or two) apart. Just slow it down completely and think where you are putting your two fingers for each note. Keep it slow until it feels natural to you and you will be able to increase your speed and accuracy. In fact, by tomorrow or the next day you will probably wonder why you thought it was difficult.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1980453 - 10/30/12 09:10 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: mom3gram]
warlock214 Offline

mom3gram...I slowed down and was able to finish the piece correctly! Thank you.

I was playing in C. The book suggests transposing to G. That's the goal tonight.

Casio Privia PX-150

#1980752 - 10/30/12 10:52 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

I finally finished recording Silent Movie Music. "Could this music be played for a romantic scene or a suspenseful scene?" I'd say it's suspenseful for Halloween! Happy Halloween to all!

#1983059 - 11/05/12 02:07 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
warlock214 Offline

Completed Unit 1 in the F & F Piano Adult Book. It went pretty fast and I was able to understand, practice and play without any issues. It's exciting to learn new things and when I made mistakes I kept going until I corrected them. Onward!!!

Casio Privia PX-150

#1983254 - 11/05/12 11:51 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Congrats! Keep at it!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1983257 - 11/05/12 11:55 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Congrats! Hope you did something to celebrate!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1985536 - 11/11/12 09:38 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
warlock214 Offline

Becca I didn't celebrate. But when I finish Unit 2, I will! I'm near finished with Unit 2 in Faber and Faber 1. I'm trying to play the Russian Folk Song. I almost got it. I'm gonna try to complete it tonight. Taking a 15 min break. Hope every one doing well!

Casio Privia PX-150

#1985546 - 11/11/12 10:06 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I really like the Russian Folk song! Tons of fun to play once you get the hang of it. smile

I restarted from the beginning recently so I'll be having a second round with it soon. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1985661 - 11/12/12 09:24 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: warlock214]
warlock214 Offline

Was able to play the Russian Folk Song last night. Next challenge is "Midnight Ride". smile

Casio Privia PX-150

#1986211 - 11/13/12 02:32 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL I'm starting the Russian Folk song today! Didn't realize I was almost there!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
09/19/14 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
09/19/14 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Who's Online
97 registered (albumblatter, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, 36251, 31 invisible), 1026 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157621 Topics
2315180 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission