2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 215 of 370 1 2 213 214 215 216 217 369 370

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Hi Lisa, I think you can get radio programmes only??

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
L

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013
L
Yes, I think you're right, Eglantine. I've tried to watch Downton Abbey and was blocked. I'm happy to know about the radio, though!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear you cannot get Downton Abbey LiseE it is good.

However, there may be a fix, if you hire some maids, and keep them downstairs, aquire a bell to ring for them when you need something doing, Hire some costume clothes for yourselves from the fancy dress store.
And stay in bed till noon, ringing for the maids when you need the curtains opening,a brew making, and want to get dressed, then you should get a flavour of Downton.

You will need to hire a chaufer and a bently for the duration.

Eglantine, did your new lady in waiting work out?

I had to sack a parlour maid last week for uniform infringments.

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/23/12 12:12 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Elssa; 03/23/12 02:22 PM.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Rossy, my new maid did not show up to do my grand baking today.... Lime meringue tartlets, lemon meringue tartlets, and choc profiteroles. So I've been slaving away... I'm feeling trashed, and must go and lie down now. Or perhaps have a cuppa, see how I feel, and play some Croft.

Speaking of bells, I have an enormous Victorian brass bell at my door, that says PRESS in big black letters on a huge piece of porcelain, but mostly the postmen ignore it, and then claim nobody was in and so they were unable to deliver anything. I'm researching the acquisition of a chainsaw to remedy this unsatisfactory situation.

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Rossy, my new maid did not show up to do my grand baking today.... Lime meringue tartlets, lemon meringue tartlets, and choc profiteroles. So I've been slaving away... I'm feeling trashed, and must go and lie down now. Or perhaps have a cuppa, see how I feel, and play some Croft.

Speaking of bells, I have an enormous Victorian brass bell at my door, that says PRESS in big black letters on a huge piece of porcelain, but mostly the postmen ignore it, and then claim nobody was in and so they were unable to deliver anything. I'm researching the acquisition of a chainsaw to remedy this unsatisfactory situation.

Eglantine, I'd be happy to help you bake if I was also allowed to taste! And I'm excellent at cleaning up....
And, if you were in the US, it wouldn't matter if you were home or not, the postman would leave the package by your door and hopefully, it would actually still be there when you arrived home. I once arrived home to a BOOKCASE left by my front door, sheesh, couldn't they have called first?!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine

I'll bet that if the postmen thought there'd be a chance they might get to eat one of those tarts, they might not be so hasty with leaving immediately after they ring the doorbell. laugh

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

I'll bet that if the postmen thought there'd be a chance they might get to eat one of those tarts,

Well, I think I know what you meant Griffin, I hope I know what you meant, but did you see what you actually said? lol

I want to be a postman now.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Since my last postings generated so much interest (thank you, Griffin) I thought I'd offer something much more in line with the Royalist theme.

I was discussing Love Me Do with a colleague and how they made a whole new sound (and an American number one) out of something so simple melodically, harmonically, lyrically and rhythmically. They use parallel fifths, of course, when everyone else harmonises in thirds!

I'm sure you know why parallel fifths and octaves are frowned upon so I won't dwell on it but I remember the most famous exception is of course Zadok the Priest - which reminded me, of course, of your serious thread topic!

I wrote a dissertation, of sorts, for my uni. prof. highlighting how Handel always accompanied something complex with something simple (e.g. simple melody, complex harmony etc., etc.). He loved that!

So here it is - his 'crowning' glory? Sorry, do forgive the pun.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Originally Posted by griffin2417

I'll bet that if the postmen thought there'd be a chance they might get to eat one of those tarts,

Well, I think I know what you meant Griffin, I hope I know what you meant, but did you see what you actually said? lol

I want to be a postman now.

blush OOPS! I sure hope Eglantine knew what I actually meant! I was certainly referring to .... Never mind! It will only make it worse if I try to clarify! laugh

Okay, I'd better get back to my project. I'll be checking in later.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

A beautiful selection Richard. I'm glad I waited to listen during my break, it was a real treat! Thanks!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good evening everybody!

Today I’d like to post about the Welsh harpist Catrin Finch. Once I got the opportunity to listen to her with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, playing Debussy's Sacred and Profane Dances. It was an unforgettable concert.

Here we can listen to Fauré’s Impromptu for harp, played by Catrin Finch.

BTW, Catrin Finch recorded the Goldberg Variations. This disc is a real treasure.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy

And, if you were in the US, it wouldn't matter if you were home or not, the postman would leave the package by your door and hopefully, it would actually still be there when you arrived home. I once arrived home to a BOOKCASE left by my front door, sheesh, couldn't they have called first?!
Some family members of mine recently arrived home to find that their son had recieved a package from his grandmother, left on the front step...opened and empty...at least they left the box.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Evening everyone.

We've just been on a lovely boat with a full size digital piano that slides out from under a bed. Amazing the lengths that some will go to, to get their practice in, even on the high seas!

All the profiteroles are gone, just a few of the lime tarts left....

I see there's a pot being stirred on ABF. Unusual.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Won't it be ironic if the thread on etiquette has to be declared "an awesome thread" and get locked by a moderator? cool

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
I think the thread's moniker is pretty inappropriate, a sort of challenge, and intentionally so.

I'd prefer for it to get ignored than to get locked.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I got this in an email today of an ex policeman friend of mine.... friends with Ham radio sets etc:

Conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz

Argentine Air Defence Site: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Argentine airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a British aircraft. I am in Falklands airspace.'

Argentine Air Defence Site: 'You are in Argentine airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a Royal Air Force GR4 Tornado fighter. Send them up, I'll wait!'

Argentine Air Defence Site: ( .... total silence)

Don't you just love the RAF?

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/24/12 04:51 AM.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'm so glad you enjoyed the selection, Griffin. They evoke such special memories for me.

And thank you, Recaredo, for your Catrin Finch posting. Lucy Carolan performed the Goldberg Variations at the concert I mentioned in my Liszt posting. She was one of the lecturers that week.

I did enjoy the Fauré. I know only a little of his music but I do play, and have recently resurrected after my 15 year hiatus, his Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 no. 3.

I first learnt it back in the eighties and spread the climactic measures across the hands to avoid leaps but after hearing a good interpretation I decided I'd revert to the intended fingering and introduce the leaps. I missed notes on several occasions and was never comfortable but in recovering the piece recently my hands automatically went back to the original spread of notes but incorporating a gap between the lower and upper notes of the spread chords. After two weeks it was almost there but I couldn't remember the last few bars correctly so I had to dig out the sheet music to finish it. Yet another hint at the onset of old age. Ah, me.

Here it is: enjoy it while an old man mourns the passing of the years...

'Send them up, I'll wait!'

roflmao!

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got this in an email today of an ex policeman friend of mine.... friends with Ham radio sets etc:

Conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz

Argentine Air Defence Site: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Argentine airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a British aircraft. I am in Falklands airspace.'

Argentine Air Defence Site: 'You are in Argentine airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a Royal Air Force GR4 Tornado fighter. Send them up, I'll wait!'

Argentine Air Defence Site: ( .... total silence)

Don't you just love the RAF?
Yup. As much as the teacher in the UK I read about who gave a student 3 points (out of something like 50 or 100) on an essay exam for writing nothing but a two word phrase beginning with an "F" because the student conveyed a cohesive thought and the words were both spelled correctly, but noted on the exam that the student could have received another point had he used proper punctuation. thumb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful Fauré’s piano piece, Richard. I’m glad to know you play it. I hope to hear a recording of yours someday wink.

Page 215 of 370 1 2 213 214 215 216 217 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission