2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 33 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 32 33
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by anotherscott
It may be interesting to know from an academic standpoint, but I can't see where it would be relevant in actually choosing what model to buy.

I don't see it as academic. A manufacturer is saying it makes a real difference - is that real science or just marketing? Though I'm pretty sure increased velocity resolution isn't the first thing I'd fix in a looped instrument...

Dewster,
There was early question about "what else is different about the action". I did my best to address it. You can believe if you wish that it is just marketing but many manufacturers have developed higher resolution key triggering systems to allow more precise control over the expression on an electronic instrument. Casio I believe is the first to do this under $1000.

That being said, this is not the "first thing" that Casio did when developing the new series. The first thing was to develop a proprietary new processor that would allow better, control, providing damper resonance simulation, access larger memory sizes, provide better effects and much more.

BTW: Where in located in NJ?

I am in NJ as well! SJ 20 minutes east of Philadelphia.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
One clarification. The Privia PX-150 will sound identical to the example I posted. The PX-350 however does have additional piano presets not available on the PX-150.

Could you tell us a little about the Rhodes presets? I really like the one on the 130 as it sounds great on 70's Billy Joel album tracks such as James and Los Angelenos.

On my Juno I reprogrammed a sound with more chorus to give it an effect similar to Rosalinda's Eyes

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
D
D
Just some clarification:

Both the 150 and 350 can be connected as MIDI controllers through USB, right? Its just that the 350 also has the MIDI ports in the back?

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
DavidC, correct.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James
DavidC, correct.

Only if you connect the 150 to a computer.

B
B
Thats very cool Mike! I can't wait to buy/try it. Is there a music rest for that model or did you just not attach it?

M
M
Good question. Music rest for the 350?

Yes there is a music rest.

D
Dax Offline
D
Hi, folks -
my first post here ;-)
I am concerned about the midi implementation on the PX-350:
I own a PX-330, and was disappointed with the fact that incoming midi cannot control the high quality tones - the ones that you play from the PX keyboard! Incoming midi only controls the tone module for the auto accomp. The PX-330 actually has 48-parts (!) - but sadly only the last 16 is available to trigger from other keyboards. And those are the cheezy GM-ones....(I had to struggle through the PX-330 MIDI-implementation pdf to learn this:
http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=5&cid=008009141)

Does anybody know (Mike?) if this will be the same in PX-350? I often use multi-keyboard setups, and need the flexibility to trigger (the best) piano sounds from external keyboards. The midi implementation manual is not up on Casio's download site yet....

---
Dax
Dax,
Bank changes allow you to access all of the sounds. Without a bank change you are limited to the GM bank, this is true of any GM compatible product.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Originally Posted by funkycornwall
Yes there is a music rest.

Yes of course, I left it in the box. ;-)

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dax
I own a PX-330, and was disappointed with the fact that incoming midi cannot control the high quality tones...PX-330 actually has 48-parts (!) - but sadly only the last 16 is available to trigger from other keyboards. And those are the cheezy GM-ones

I believe that is incorrect. You should be able to trigger any PX-330 tone from an external MIDI source (another MIDI keyboard or a sequencer) by sending the correct MSB with the Program Change on the desired channel. The MSB for each high quality tone is listed in the owner manual. No MSB (MSB=0) get you only GM. You have to send the MSB/LSB data in order to access all the tones on any instrument that has more than 128 sounds in it.

K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
You are correct Scott, if for example you use Bank Select MSB 48 & program 1 you get the Modern Grand patch.
But if you fail to provide a bank select, then bank 0 is the default and program change 1 gives you GM Piano 1.

My Sonic Cell does the same thing, if I don't choose a bank I get general midi only. Some controllers are much easier to set bank information. On my Kurzweil SP4-7, to get the Preset 1 bank on my Sonic Cell I have to do some arithmetic which ends up coming out to 5200. I don't remember the exact formula but it like Bank number MSB * 128 + patch number not very intuitive, but once you know it its not difficult. My guitar synth controller (axon) on the other hand has software that has separate entries for MSB and patch number. The software on it also reads cubase patch scripts and gives a drop down list in the software, sweet! And Roland has a cubase patch scripts for all of its products! That makes it dead simple to call up any patch and layer it with the internal synth sounds or other Sonic Cell patches. The Kurzweil is a nice controller but the external patch selection could be simpler and more intuitive.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 09/18/12 09:42 AM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
B
B
Mike, any idea of whether or not I can expect to see a 350 on display at a Best Buy?

I'd love to try it out!!

D
Dax Offline
D
Mike, Kbeaumont, Anotherscott,

Thanx for enlightening me!

" ...if for example you use Bank Select MSB 48 & program 1 you get the Modern Grand patch.
But if you fail to provide a bank select, then bank 0 is the default and program change 1 gives you GM Piano 1."

Of course it was the MSB message that was missing. Found it in the user manual. Seems I misunderstood the MIDI-implementation chart....sorry if I confused anybody. Now I can implement my PX-330 in my Mainstage setups - using "local off" and bank/prog changes, it's dead easy to quickly create and change multisplits/layers without having to dive into PX menus. Now the PX-350 is even more attractive with its new soundbanks!

---
Dax
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Mainstage Rocks!

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
I
I
Hello,

Can you please tell me if any of the Casio px 350 buttons are able to assigned as midi functions? Specifically, the transports buttons ( play, stop, record). I'd like to use this kb together with logic 9 if possible.

M
M
Originally Posted by BrokenChord
Mike, any idea of whether or not I can expect to see a 350 on display at a Best Buy?

I'd love to try it out!!

At Best Buy? Highly doubtful. Best Buy keyboards usually max out at around $500 or so.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The first of our PX-150's arrived. I unboxed one this afternoon and while a couple of things stood out to me, I am overall very pleased. I invite anyone who can to come down to try one. Coming soon to a dealer near you. It is quite different from the PX-130...really it's only the controls that seem similar.

No PX-350 yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

As someone else pointed out, I seriously doubt you see PX-350 on display at Best Buy though a few stores may try it out. But then at my local Best Buy, friendly though they were, they didn't even know were the power button was on the PX-130. wink

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Sounds good Sam - the PX-150 looks like it may further reinforce Casio's reputation as a serious player in the DP world...especially at this price level.

On a separate note, is there a reason you do not mention Casio and Roland in your signature?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 16 of 33 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission