Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1967012 - 09/30/12 06:49 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Nothing like a deadline to fire up your practicing! If you play Chopin anything like you play Rachmaninoff, you'll do just fine, debrucey. We believe in you! smile

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1967063 - 09/30/12 08:25 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: LadyChen]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: LadyChen
... you'll do just fine, debrucey. We believe in you! smile

If his past history here is any indication, I do not feel there is any to worry about.

#1967078 - 09/30/12 09:11 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I know I'm coming in a little late to this. I would suggest that playing something poorly would be less professional than dropping the piece.

That said, I don't think this is impossible to learn in two months. I hear you are proficient at Rachmaninoff, though I have never had the pleasure of hearing you play any. I learned Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto in 2 months. Bottom line: you can do this. smile

#1967107 - 09/30/12 10:29 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
When push comes to shove, you can do so many things.. as you'll discover, haha =) good luck!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1967140 - 10/01/12 12:06 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: debrucey
...by 'learned' the coda all I mean is a can sit down and play the coda with a reasonable amount of fluency (if a little undertempo) from memory.

The reason this is an important thing for me is because getting a piece to that stage is the thing I stress about the most. Once the notes are 'learned' all of the work that then must happen to make it a polished performance, while it will certainly take a long time, doesn't frighten me.

Fine -- but yes, "long time" -- which I would have thought could mean a lot more than 2 months.

Quote:
'Considered by all' ?
A lot of pianists I know have told me that they don't consider it to be as difficult as people think....

IMO they're just wrong.
Sorry. smile

And BTW my guess would be that "a lot" is a bit of hyperbole. You sure you don't mean just 1 or 2 people that you happened to have come across? (Because I'm very, very confident that it's an extreme minority view. Unless y'all are talking about playing it not necessarily very well, or quite superficially, in which case just about anything isn't that hard.)

Anyway....obviously you're quite determined to press on with the Ballade. Good luck -- maybe you can pull it off quite well; a lot of people here seem to think you can. But from how you presented it in the original post, IMO it sounds way too iffy.

#1967211 - 10/01/12 08:15 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Good Luck! I've been in several situations like this and they all seem to turn out better than I had hoped. Although there were 1 or 2 that I'd rather not remember....
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1967238 - 10/01/12 09:41 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Otis S Offline

Good luck with your recital, Debrucey! Your YouTube recordings are terrific, and I am sure you can do an excellent job with the 4th ballade. You are shooting for a very ambitious deadline, though.

Yes I've already submitted the programme. I could change it I suppose, but I would still have to learn 12 minutes of something else. Also I need the Ballade for other things so it has to be done at some point. I'd rather not change the programme for a professional engagement though. It doesn't look very, well, professional lol. But then again neither does leaving it too late to learn the pieces :P.

My recommendation would be to continue making your best effort at learning Chopin's 4th ballade for the November recital. As a safety measure, determine the latest point (e.g. early November?) when it would still be feasible to change the program without too much negative fallout. Have a back-up piece that you already play well (perhaps another comparable work by Chopin such as another ballade, scherzo, Fantaisie in F minor, Polonaise-Fantasie, etc). in good shape in case the 4th ballade does not go as well as hoped. A few days before the deadline, make your best judgement on whether to play the 4th ballade or the other piece. You can play both pieces in front of other pianists whose views you trust to get feedback to help you make your decision.

Would it be feasible to do something like this?

#1967285 - 10/01/12 12:32 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Nope, I have no such piece. The recital is 50 minutes long and uses up everything I have at the moment. If I were to change it for something comparable I would be in the same situation as I would still have to learn a new piece.

#1967296 - 10/01/12 12:59 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
If I may dare propose something: Why does all the pieces have to be AMAZING and MONUMENTALLY stunning, difficult and contain the WOW factor? Just got for a couple of easier works. Not everything has to be at the standard of a Chopin Ballad I think...

#1967345 - 10/01/12 02:51 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
True. A set of nocturnes, waltzes, or mazurkas would be really nice to listen to.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1967352 - 10/01/12 03:05 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Cheeto717]
Mark_C Offline

Nice last two posts, but I think we all get the feeling he's not going to be too interested in stuff like that. grin
He's clearly determined to do the ballade.

My main concern is that he thinks it's "not that hard," supported by "a lot of" people who've said it isn't, which is just bull, even if his lot of people really did say it. And it's not real good to go on bull.

#1967356 - 10/01/12 03:09 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
lol

#1967370 - 10/01/12 03:43 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Okay, first of all I never said anything about what I personally think about the difficulty of this piece. All I did was point out that your statement that it is 'considered by all' to be the most difficult is not entirely true because I know of people who know what they're talking about who disagree. I never said whether or not I agree with them or disagree with you. I haven't learned it yet so I couldn't say how difficult it is. Secondly, the rest of my 50 minute programme is quite easy, so I could hardly be accused of favouring difficult pieces just for the sake of it.

#1967389 - 10/01/12 04:26 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Otis S Offline

Secondly, the rest of my 50 minute programme is quite easy, so I could hardly be accused of favouring difficult pieces just for the sake of it.

What other pieces are you planning to play at your November recital besides Chopin's 4th ballade?

#1967397 - 10/01/12 04:46 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Beethoven, Bagatelles 1 and 5 from Op. 119 and Moonlight Sonata
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C-sharp minor and Etude Op.39-8
Chopin Raindrop Prelude, and finally the Ballade.

Perhaps I should have said relatively easy, haha. But I think my point stands.

I feel we've got somewhat sidetracked. The whole point of this thread was to hear interesting stories of how other people have coped under self imposed pressure.

Edited by debrucey (10/01/12 04:52 PM)

#1967401 - 10/01/12 04:52 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

Okay, first of all I never said anything about what I personally think about the difficulty of this piece. All I did was point out that your statement that it is 'considered by all' to be the most difficult is not entirely true because I know of people who know what they're talking about who disagree. I never said whether or not I agree with them or disagree with you. I haven't learned it yet so I couldn't say how difficult it is....

In that case, please accept our help on this: Those people, however many or few of them there may be, are in a tiny minority, and more importantly, they're simply wrong.

Take my word. smile

Perhaps they're talking just about getting the notes, or worse yet, sort of getting the notes, and in either of those cases, they're really wrong, because they're missing the point of the piece, which presumably you don't want to do.

They're wrong. They're not worth referencing on something like this, because it will only mislead you.

Quote:
I feel we've got somewhat sidetracked. The whole point of this thread was to hear interesting stories of how other people have coped under self imposed pressure.

It's not unusual for the main question within something to be different than what the person thought, and we see it here a lot.

#1967404 - 10/01/12 04:56 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh for goodness sake.

#1967405 - 10/01/12 04:57 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

Indeed! smile

#1967408 - 10/01/12 05:03 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Oh for goodness sake.
Exactly. He said the same thing over and over in three threads and several times per thread. All that from someone who worked on the Ballade for seven years before performing it.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/01/12 05:07 PM)

#1967411 - 10/01/12 05:05 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Haha, good point.

#1967413 - 10/01/12 05:08 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
....the same thing over and over in three threads....

Huh?

By the way, would you agree that there's any correctness in believing that the piece is "not that hard"?

I look forward to your reply. grin

Quote:
....someone who worked on the Ballade for seven years before performing it.

Small point, but for what it's worth, that wasn't so. I did put it that way but it was a 'shorthand': I didn't perform it till 7 years after I first learned it.

#1967418 - 10/01/12 05:11 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Quote:

It's not unusual for the main question within something to be different than what the person thought, and we see it here a lot.
Debrucey's requesting that his thread discuss what would be helpful to him. He said more than once that he wants to play the Ballade despite some posters' suggestion to do otherwise.

#1967422 - 10/01/12 05:14 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Debrucey's requesting that his thread discuss what would be helpful to him....

EXACTLY.

Thank you very much. grin

#1967427 - 10/01/12 05:21 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

....the same thing over and over in three threads....

Huh? By the way, would you agree that there's any correctness in believing that the piece is "not that hard"?
"Not that hard" is so vague that could be true for almost any piece. It's really impossible to argue intelligently against a description like that.

He told you what some of his acquaintances said. He said he wants to play the piece. What could possibly be the point of telling him more than once that your perception of the difficulty is different?

Edited by pianoloverus (10/01/12 07:13 PM)

#1967428 - 10/01/12 05:23 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

EXACTLY.

Helpful to him assuming he's going to play the Ballade. He just said that a few posts ago. He specifically said the thread had veered in a direction he didn't feel was useful or related to his first post.

#1967430 - 10/01/12 05:27 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

EXACTLY.

I don't recall Debrucey ever asking for help. Maybe you can quote that part. Two months is a good amount of time if you have the time. Not a lot a time if you have a 9-5 job besides. Everything he has posted sounds pretty damn good so I think his judgement is probably pretty damn good also. If he screws up, that's a lesson learned too. I see little downside to digging into the ballade.

#1967432 - 10/01/12 05:28 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

By the way, would you agree that there's any correctness in believing that the piece is "not that hard"?

I NEVER said that I or anyone else thought the piece was 'not that hard'. The phrase I used was 'not as difficult as people think'. Neither did I say that I necessarily believed what they said. Please make more of an effort to understand what people have said before attempting to repudiate them.

Also, Damon is right. I never asked for help. I wanted to hear similar stories from other people and have a discussion about how we work on a piece when the deadline is closer than we'd like. I think that's quite an interesting topic.

Edited by debrucey (10/01/12 05:31 PM)

#1967434 - 10/01/12 05:29 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

If someone has a basic misunderstanding of something -- and he does -- that's worth noting. If he resists the correct input, and if you care about it (and more so perhaps, if you find the misunderstanding offensive, which I do -- on behalf of music and on behalf of Chopin) smile then you might try again.

Sorry, but I don't believe that you think there's much sense in feeling that this piece might be "not that hard," within any idea of the phrase. I think you're arguing it just because of who it is who's talking about it.

Debrucey: You're obviously determined. But, one more piece of advice: Don't let yourself say to too many people that you think the piece might not be that hard. It won't make a real good impression. smile

edit: Debrucey, just saw your last post.
Everything I've said applies absolutely equally to 'Not as difficult as people think.'
Trust me. smile
(Even though I know you won't!)

#1967437 - 10/01/12 05:33 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Of course I won't. Why should I? What reason have you offered me to convince me that you know more about this than any of the other people I've spoken to about it?

Edited by debrucey (10/01/12 05:35 PM)

#1967438 - 10/01/12 05:33 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

see above edit

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Is it necessary a classic base to play virtuosic jazz ?
by Nahum
10/01/14 03:18 AM
Who's Online
72 registered (alexbergauer, Barly, AliAlkhiro, amt976, Anne H, 15 invisible), 1030 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157911 Topics
2319093 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission