Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1971160 - 10/10/12 04:01 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I thought you were insinuating something to do with erections lol.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1971181 - 10/10/12 06:28 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Damon
....he never asked to be talked out of playing it. I think it galls you that he isn't showing the proper respect for your god. smile

Sure, a big part of what galls me is what he expressed about the Ballade, but there's more, including that someone who views the piece that way isn't (isn't) appreciating what it is and is probably better off not playing it yet. Actually I don't believe that he truly thinks what he said about the piece and that it's just wishful thinking -- which is part of the problem too.

But, about what he asked or didn't ask: I assume you're a fairly sophisticated individual. grin
And that therefore you realize that people don't necessarily express things directly.

Let's take a look at what he did ask directly: If we are to take it at face value, the only reason he started this thread was because of abstract intellectual curiosity about whether other people have ever done similar miscalculations, and how it turned out -- with no wish, unconscious or otherwise, to express his concern about his miscalculation and to get reactions that might affect what he does.

If you believe that.....well I won't even complete that thought, because I'm pretty sure that if you think about it, you don't believe that. ha

He didn't do that.
People don't do that.
Sorry. smile
If debrucey spends as much times as you do overanalysing everything he definitely won't finish the Ballade. He might not even make it through breakfast before it's time for dinner. Fortunately, I don't think he has this problem.

Debrucey is a serious conservatory student. The idea that he doesn't have proper respect for any composer or any piece of music is quite silly, I think. He's decided to devote his life to this pursuit. Even if, for the sake of argument, debrucey is not showing proper respect for this piece the idea that someone should be personally offended by that is very silly.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/10/12 11:24 AM)

#1972427 - 10/12/12 07:00 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Nikolas]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Well, Mark has been the one talking all the time on how difficult this work is and how you're basically underestimating its difficulty. And he's also the one to be using constantly the haha emoticon, so I quoted that with the haha... Probably not a pun, but fun none the less for me! grin

ha

#1972580 - 10/13/12 01:41 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
DonaldLee Online   content

I wished I would have followed this thread since its genesis. It's always been rather interesting for me to watch other people's progress on repertoire. I would say you will be fine. The 4th Ballade is really captivating, but not nearly as hard as it sounds, IMHO. Now, I just wish I could thin down my required repertoire for college to one ballade for two months. As of now, I'm expected to have perfected Les Adieux, the Grieg Concerto, Schubert D.935, and Ginastera's first sonata by December. Good fortunes and happy practicing!!

Donald Lee
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1972774 - 10/13/12 01:58 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

Originally Posted By: debrucey
I thought you were insinuating something to do with erections lol.

[ohgodwhy]

#1974922 - 10/17/12 11:02 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Debrucey, I'm in a similar [although much less serious] situation - I've been spending to much time polishing my Beethoven Sonata that I've completely ignored learning parts of it....and my teacher told me two days ago to have the whole thing memorized and relatively playable by our next lesson [Monday]. I'm not prepping for any performance right now but I can definitely feel the strain of having to fly through the learning process...but it's actually boosting my confidence a lot because I'm figuring out I can learn music pretty dang quick if I need to!

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1990450 - 11/24/12 07:12 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I just posted a video of my progress in the member recordings section if anybody is interested in how I am managing so far lol

#1990797 - 11/25/12 07:40 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Gatsbee13 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So Cal
^ couldn't find the video in member recordings.. can you post a link? thx

#1990800 - 11/25/12 07:54 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Gatsbee13]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
He means the sub-forum of the Pianist Corner, not the other members recording forum.
Well done for such a short time frame, by the way!

Music is my best friend.

#1990810 - 11/25/12 08:24 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

#1990814 - 11/25/12 08:32 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Impressive...and in such a short amount of time. Congratulations!

Deborah

#2017482 - 01/19/13 07:11 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
To continue with the mad thread-bumping...I also did some bad planning and will be performing this Ballade in a few days...and I gave myself too little time to prepare in the same vein laugh.

Speaking of which (for this ballade), I realized that the first theme that the left hand plays - the descending scale - becomes the counterpoint in the polyphonic section, and is also used as other transition material throughout the rest of the piece. I wasn't aware of how tightly this piece was constructed until recently..
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2017533 - 01/19/13 09:18 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
To continue with the mad thread-bumping...I also did some bad planning and will be performing this Ballade in a few days...and I gave myself too little time to prepare in the same vein laugh.

What's this vein stuff? ha

What about "There is a change in the program...."

BTW, nice other observation. smile

#2017538 - 01/19/13 09:33 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What's this vein stuff? ha

What about "There is a change in the program...."

BTW, nice other observation. smile

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_same_vein ??

No change in program, the show must go on! :P
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2017544 - 01/19/13 09:39 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

A show doesn't depend on playing what we're not ready to play. smile

#2017600 - 01/19/13 11:52 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

I guess not for Kuanpiano, but for me, yes it does, since it's a degree recital and my rep is already set and submitted... Lol smile

#2017623 - 01/20/13 01:27 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
My reference book says of this work

“Loveliest of all is the Ballade in F minor Opus 52.
“It’s witchery is irresistible” says Huneker.
The motives of the first theme recur so often, especially (a) that the inflection must be artfully varied to avoid monotony. Just how these nuances should be applied —
for instance, whether the repetition of (a) should be fainter or stronger in any particular place — can hardly be determined beforehand; a good pianist had best trust the inspiration of the moment to give it the right flexibility to his performance.

This will accord with the extremely intuitive character of the piece, which is a whole from a form that on the surface seems disjointed.
It is advisable to start with coda (immediately after the five long pianissimo chords) quite moderately in time and force, increasing the speed when you feel safe.
An accelerando of this kind is easy and effective, whereas it is humiliating and ineffective to begin at top speed and be obliged to slacken. A broadening of tempo should always sound intentional, never as if forced by technical difficulty.”

My own take relates to the first tricky 13 measures
(but happily going at an easy Andante con moto gait)... where the ever-inventive Chopin develops a sort of syncopated treble rhythm ... by lacing in an “inner voice” to his broad octave chordal theme ...
once you get over this finger-busting passage, the going gets easier.

The opening comment ... “It’s witchery is irresistible” should arm the pianist to beard the lion in his den .

PS Lions are flesh-eating ... however Androcles plucked a thorn from the paw of a lion so they say ...
which helped him to outlive the munching of wild beasts in the Colosseum ... but then, I wasn't around at the time to confirm.

#2017798 - 01/20/13 12:16 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Orange Soda King]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

I guess not for Kuanpiano, but for me, yes it does, since it's a degree recital and my rep is already set and submitted... Lol smile

Same.

#2017821 - 01/20/13 12:56 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

Same.

Oh. grin

I think it's an unfortunate rule.
And if it was me, in such a situation I would have tried to get an exception. But in any event, if you had said so we wouldn't have been suggesting so hard that you might change it.

If you did say it and I kept saying "change it" anyway, I apologize. ha

(I know you said it had been submitted, but didn't notice you saying it was anything like you "had to" go with that.)

#2017862 - 01/20/13 02:27 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Same.

Not a degree recital, but same in every other aspect :P
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2018029 - 01/20/13 08:14 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I hadn't submitted it then, but I have now.
Everything this year is leading towards my final recital. As hard as it was learning the Chopin in 2 months, I'm glad I forced myself to do it because I am now better prepared for my final recital than I would be had I taken the easy option and learned or relearned something else.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 26 invisible), 1077 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309224 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
4 minutes 22 seconds ago
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
57 minutes 7 seconds ago
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission