Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1967439 - 10/01/12 05:34 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
See the above edit.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1967446 - 10/01/12 05:43 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: debrucey
....What reason have you offered me to convince me that you know more about this than any of the other people I've spoken to about it?

OK, you asked for it and I'll give it. smile

This is a piece of great subtlety and depth -- very great. To say about any such piece that it's "not as hard as many people think" (or however you put it) inherently seems to reflect a failure to grasp that, and, to the ears of many serious musicians who know and love the piece, has the effect that I indicated on the last page.

And that's only about the musical aspects. I'll leave it at that, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't put any stock in anything I might say about technical aspects, and in fairness they might not apply to you.

#1967449 - 10/01/12 05:46 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That's just a statement of your opinion, not a reason to respect your opinion.

#1967450 - 10/01/12 05:48 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Mark, here's a radical thought: How about letting Debrucey decide for himself how difficult this piece is? You're beginning to sound as though it galls you that he might actually learn it in two months. If I were to use that yardstick, everyone in this forum galls me, including you. laugh

#1967453 - 10/01/12 05:52 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I guess we'll just have to wait two months to find out.

#1967506 - 10/01/12 08:06 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Old Man]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Old Man
....as though it galls you that he might actually learn it in two months....

No, it galls me that a serious pianist could have such a view of the piece.

#1967516 - 10/01/12 08:21 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
I guess we'll just have to wait two months to find out.

You're right, but I do believe you won't be doing any of that waiting =P

#1967562 - 10/01/12 11:03 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Old Man
....as though it galls you that he might actually learn it in two months....

No, it galls me that a serious pianist could have such a view of the piece.

Since the thread has been you saying this over and over for a few pages, I thought I might come in with a different opinion laugh

Technically the 4th Ballade is perhaps a little tougher than the other Ballades. None of them are really exceptionally difficult pieces in that respect. I was able to play it through pretty smoothly in well under 2 months, and I'm not really great or anything. Other people I know who've played it learned it pretty quickly as well.

Musically everyone seems to agree that it's really hard, however everyone has their own idea of how it should be played. In my opinion, this actually means a short term performance should be less worrisome, because everyone seems to like this piece played a certain different way, and whatever you do you're guaranteed to make at least half the people who have an opinion on the piece unhappy. Thus, one can take a pretty "safe" approach, follow the markings on the score as closely as possible, and do a decent job. Whatever comes across as "unrefined" to one person, may be "genius" to another.

Edited by trigalg693 (10/01/12 11:07 PM)

#1967593 - 10/02/12 12:37 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I think one of the things Mark is saying is that there are some pieces which, regardless of their mechanical difficulty, are of such musical depth and organizational originality that one should really live with them for a time-- a long time-- before performing them. To me, the idea of performing the 4th Ballade after only two months carries with it a danger of not doing it justice that I wouldn't feel with, say, learning the first movement of Beethoven's op.2/3 in two months. (Trying to pick a piece of similar mechanical difficulty but which perhaps one doesn't have to inhabit in the same way.)

The idea of anyone doing this makes me uncomfortable. Not out of judgement, just out of oversensitivity. I wish db the best with it.

-J

#1967596 - 10/02/12 12:56 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Jason,

That's true and I largely agree to that.

But to the opposite end some of us are saying that, exactly because one can separate the technical/mechanical and musical difficulty of a work, the first one can be mastered in two months, and as for the second one it remains to be seen. I don't know how insane one must be to work 6-8 hours per day in a single work for two months (I wouldn't be able to do it, personally. I'd gladly compose for 16 hours per day though for many months until I'd crumble) but it's not completely unreasonable to think that the work will come to a certain level (probably not at the Zimmerman level, but none the less a decent level).

The funny thing about the later pages of this thread is that the "THAT hard/difficult", etc is applicable only to what the other party thinks, in which case here Mark considers it "THAT hard" where debrucey doesn't think/believe it's "ThAT hard"... wink teeheehee...

#1967607 - 10/02/12 01:53 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Now that we've all chimed in with our opinions on the side issue suggested (to some) by the original post - some ringing louder, longer and more frequently than others - why don't we either
1 - respond to the original question about time management experiences or, if unable to do that
2 - drop the judgement calls which must surely be doing little to help debrucey in his enthusiasm for this project.

Join me in wishing him a productive two months in the hopes that it brings positive results.

Regards,

#1967609 - 10/02/12 02:03 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: BruceD]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Join me in wishing him a productive two months in the hopes that it brings positive results.
+ 1

As for time management it all relates to what one is used to.

From my own experience when I was called to compose a symphonic work in less than a month (unperformed sadly and not in a great shape admittedly) I decided to skip vacation in Greece (was living in the UK at the time with my family), but allow my wife and two kids to go. Thus I gained tons of free time which all was used to compose... Worked good enough (got the commission out of the way), and I was composing for double the time I was used to. The change in circumstances made this happen.

So perhaps there's a way for debrucey to do something like that with his living circumstances or something along those lines?

#1967623 - 10/02/12 02:49 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: BruceD]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Now that we've all chimed in with our opinions on the side issue suggested (to some) by the original post - some ringing louder, longer and more frequently than others - why don't we either
1 - respond to the original question about time management experiences or, if unable to do that
2 - drop the judgement calls which must surely be doing little to help debrucey in his enthusiasm for this project.
Absolutely agree.
I certainly do. Go, debrucey!

#1967626 - 10/02/12 02:56 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys. I'm sure however crummy my performance of it in 2 months time is the whole exercise will be a positive one for me. It was much the same situation with Appassionata last year, which most people advised me not to take up (except for, crucially, my teacher lol). Sure, at the end of it all it wasn't the best performance in the world, but I learned a lot from forcing myself to do it.

#1967678 - 10/02/12 08:29 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: beet31425]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: beet31425
I think one of the things Mark is saying is that there are some pieces which, regardless of their mechanical difficulty, are of such musical depth and organizational originality that one should really live with them for a time-- a long time-- before performing them.-J
I think one could say that about any major work by any great composer. It would apply to numerous works by Chopin and any of the great composers. So if one has two months to learn a piece, I think the 4th Ballade is no different in this respect from countless other great works. But besides this, what a person can understand musically about a piece in two months is not the same for everyone.

Whatever his opinion there is no point to saying the same thing at least six times, especially when the OP has clearly that his mind is made up about learning the Ballade and he's interested other people's advice about dealing with difficult deadline.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/02/12 10:13 AM)

#1967695 - 10/02/12 09:22 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Thanks guys. I'm sure however crummy my performance of it in 2 months time is the whole exercise will be a positive one for me. It was much the same situation with Appassionata last year, which most people advised me not to take up (except for, crucially, my teacher lol). Sure, at the end of it all it wasn't the best performance in the world, but I learned a lot from forcing myself to do it.

Whether or not it's "the best performance in the world", I'm sure it will not be "crummy". Remember the old adage, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". If this advice went unheeded, no pianist would ever play anything. They'd be stuck in a kind of "interpretive paralysis". As I pointed out in another thread, Horowitz struggled his entire life with Chopin's first ballade. He was continually revising it: changing dynamics, changing tempo, finding new voices to accentuate, and each performance was different. But even though he was never satisfied, that never stopped him. He played it all the time, and his audiences loved it.

And yours will too. So please report back and let us know how you thought it went. (That way we can rehash this entire subject one more time. cry )

#1967715 - 10/02/12 10:19 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
You'll be fine, debrucey.

#1967781 - 10/02/12 02:06 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US

And you'll return to it many times no doubt over your pianistic career with new insights and understanding from working on it multiple times. I say go for it and good luck, debrucey!! thumb

Sophia

#1967844 - 10/02/12 04:48 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
slava_richter Online   content

Loc: Providence, RI
The craziest example of last-minute preparation that I have ever heard of was Richter learning Prokofieff's 7th sonata in 4 days - by memory - for the premiere concert. Of course, you are not Richter, he was supernatural. However, I don't think it's so crazy for a pianist of your high level to do this. Sure it's a risk, but you can't always play it safe if you want to excel at something; sometimes your risks will pay off, and other times they won't. Let's hope for the former.

And if you want to be a concert pianist, you may wind up having to do this from time to time, so you might as well get used to working on short notice. Good luck!

#1967846 - 10/02/12 04:51 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: slava_richter]
Franz Beebert Offline

Originally Posted By: slava_richter
The craziest example of last-minute preparation that I have ever heard of was Richter learning Prokofieff's 7th sonata in 4 days - by memory - for the premiere concert. Of course, you are not Richter, he was supernatural. However, I don't think it's so crazy for a pianist of your high level to do this. Sure it's a risk, but you can't always play it safe if you want to excel at something; sometimes your risks will pay off, and other times they won't. Let's hope for the former.

And if you want to be a concert pianist, you may wind up having to do this from time to time, so you might as well get used to working on short notice. Good luck!
He also learned the whole Well Tempered Clavier in one month. That's one and a half piece of music a day. Insane.

#1967910 - 10/02/12 07:13 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: slava_richter]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slava_richter
The craziest example of last-minute preparation that I have ever heard of was Richter learning Prokofieff's 7th sonata in 4 days - by memory - for the premiere concert.

I've heard of someone (pianist) who learned a whole movement (of accompaniment) to a violin piece during the 10 minutes of intermission...

Anyways, I completely agree with the person who brought up the "don't let perfect become the enemy of good" quote, there is absolutely no reason that one should necessarily wait a long time before performing something. I don't think any pianist is ever completely happy with how the piece is when it's being performed, but that shouldn't stop people from performing. 2 months is usually on the short side but a person with reasonable experience can pull off a decent performance in that timespan.

#1970945 - 10/09/12 06:48 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
bellamusica Offline

I learned the 4th Ballade in a few months (can't remember the exact time frame, but I think it was 4 or 5 months). I wasn't in a super rush, so I'm sure you can do it in 2 months if you really focus. I would suggest setting a goal of having it learned and memorized up to tempo within one month, so that you have the whole next month to polish it and let it kinda "gel" in your mind and fingers.

One of the things my teacher always told me is that many works, including this Ballade, are "lifetime" pieces. You will play these pieces for years, and they will change and evolve just as you change and evolve as a musician. Note that this does not mean that you have to practice the piece for your whole life before you ever perform it! My interpretation of the Ballade at age 65 will not invalidate my interpretation of it at age 25.

If you refuse to do anything until every circumstance is exactly perfect, you'll never get anything done.

Good luck with your performance! smile

#1971009 - 10/09/12 09:16 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: trigalg693]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: trigalg693
....I completely agree with the person who brought up the "don't let perfect become the enemy of good" quote, there is absolutely no reason that one should necessarily wait a long time before performing something....

I think something from the 1st post has gotten lost (long ago). He implied that he had waited significantly longer than he should have to start working on the piece and therefore that it was going to be iffy. That seems to be either forgotten or treated as though it doesn't matter. When he additionally indicated that perhaps the piece isn't as challenging as is often said, which is a lot of wishful thinking, that seemed to accentuate it. Against that backdrop, I'm surprised that most people seem basically to be saying sure, go ahead, no problem. But whatever. Maybe you're right. smile

#1971060 - 10/09/12 11:03 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
....I completely agree with the person who brought up the "don't let perfect become the enemy of good" quote, there is absolutely no reason that one should necessarily wait a long time before performing something....

I think something from the 1st post has gotten lost ..............blah, blah, blah.......... I'm surprised that most people seem basically to be saying sure, go ahead, no problem. But whatever. Maybe you're right. smile

The only thing that is lost (and only by you) is that he never asked to be talked out of playing it. I think it galls you that he isn't showing the proper respect for your god. smile

#1971066 - 10/09/12 11:13 PM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Damon
....he never asked to be talked out of playing it. I think it galls you that he isn't showing the proper respect for your god. smile

Sure, a big part of what galls me is what he expressed about the Ballade, but there's more, including that someone who views the piece that way isn't (isn't) appreciating what it is and is probably better off not playing it yet. Actually I don't believe that he truly thinks what he said about the piece and that it's just wishful thinking -- which is part of the problem too.

But, about what he asked or didn't ask: I assume you're a fairly sophisticated individual. grin
And that therefore you realize that people don't necessarily express things directly.

Let's take a look at what he did ask directly: If we are to take it at face value, the only reason he started this thread was because of abstract intellectual curiosity about whether other people have ever done similar miscalculations, and how it turned out -- with no wish, unconscious or otherwise, to express his concern about his miscalculation and to get reactions that might affect what he does.

If you believe that.....well I won't even complete that thought, because I'm pretty sure that if you think about it, you don't believe that. ha

He didn't do that.
People don't do that.
Sorry. smile

#1971149 - 10/10/12 03:16 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: Mark_C]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As an update btw, its coming along quite well. And most of what I've done so far was not as hard as I expected it to be.

Edited by debrucey (10/10/12 03:17 AM)

#1971152 - 10/10/12 03:24 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And most of what I've done so far was not as hard as I expected it to be.
ha

Now this haha is what I call a reall pun! hahahahaha!

Debrucey, glad to know this is working out for you. I'm hoping for a recording once done, right? wink

#1971154 - 10/10/12 03:28 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Absolutely :-).

Not sure I see the pun tho lol

#1971156 - 10/10/12 03:54 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, Mark has been the one talking all the time on how difficult this work is and how you're basically underestimating its difficulty. And he's also the one to be using constantly the haha emoticon, so I quoted that with the haha... Probably not a pun, but fun none the less for me! grin

#1971157 - 10/10/12 03:55 AM Re: Two months to learn Chopin's 4th Ballade [Re: debrucey]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Probably a punch (on the boxing ring)!

Music is my best friend.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
18 minutes 11 seconds ago
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
20 minutes 0 seconds ago
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Today at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Today at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
109 registered (36251, AZ_Astro, 33 invisible), 1097 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315382 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission