Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1967648 - 10/02/12 05:31 AM Self-publishing a repertoire book in Australia
ymapazagain Offline

Loc: Hobart, Australia
I am planning on self-publishing a book of piano pieces. Right now I'm a bit stuck in trying to find out the most economical way to do this. There is so much advice online telling composers to self-publish, but I can't find much information on HOW exactly to self-publish.

Do I go with a general printer sourced locally? A specific sheet music printer? An online self-publishing company like lulu?

I'm looking for information specific to Australia.

Does anyone have any experience with self-publishing in Australia? If so, how did you go about it?

Cheers

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1967701 - 10/02/12 09:43 AM Re: Self-publishing a repertoire book in Australia [Re: ymapazagain]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Well,

There's a lot of things to consider:

1. Digital vs Physical

If you print the actual book, then it's more appealing to the pianist. A pianist has little use to a PDF file in kindle, or an ipad, so he has to print it off and then bind it and then use it. Of course printing means some amount of money. Home printers are not suitable for printing scores, to be honest. Scores should have harder paper (more grm/m2) and different size. A letter/A4 (not the same but it's the usual size paper used in Europe and in the US) are simply too small.

If you go for digital then you save money. No upfront costs at all, and delivery time is instant. HOWEVER you poke your eye out due to piracy. The extra step from scanning a score and just sharing a ready made PDF is enough to save you some peace of mind. At the same time, you're putting your customer into more trouble: The customer has to print and bind their own book, thus it's of lesser quality than the stuff found commercially.

2. Printing in home vs printing out

Printing in home is cheaper and can be in demand. If you can get some Minolta printers (that are in the range of 2500$ upwards) then you could be doing a decent job printing on your own, but then your budget goes out the window.

Printing outside is more expensive, since you have to go for bulk numbers. Still any decent press will be able to print digitally thus print a small quanity of scores (say 50 items) in which case you can get away with a smaller budget and some ease of mind in case none sells. I know plenty of composers who, in order to save some money, printed 2000 items and got stuck with the remaining 1800!!! grin

3. Slef publishing vs normal publishing vs publishing in online vendors (lulu et al)

You earn tons more if you publish on your own. PER COPY. But the hussle is too great some times and you lose out on the given communities (lulu has a big community and so does amazon, etc) of ready made customers. Plus you need to arrange all the tax stuff. Advertising and promoting is a big problem when you're alone. You simply can't do everything yourself (proof reading for example: A BIG OUCH!!!! in the life of every composer).

If you publish elsewhere you will earn very little. General % for composers are no more than 15% as far as I know per copy. But you save all the other trouble, plus you get in the roster of each company with the rest of the composers. You don't get to pay anything (at least you shouldn't) and you have great peace of mind with everything, from promoting to distributing, to selling, to tax and to collecting royalties

Lulu is the middle solution that can work great and one can use their communities to their own advantage. Of course the fact that there is NO quality control in lulu means that you are with every rubbish any kid in the Internet has thought of. Just look at youtube: Amazing videos next to rubbish.

4. Promotion

Regardless of the above you NEED to promote your own stuff. You're alive, you're well and any publisher is NOT your manager. A publisher is not a manager, although they seem to do similar jobs. It's not the job of the publisher to actively promote your career (but they will promote the works they publish in the general interest of their own business).

Promotion can take many forms, but in the end it's all abot availability. Can you get your score up in sheetmusicplus.com? Can you get it to Minessota in a week? How about Greece (<- answer to that. Difficult since the post offices are not that good in distributing, while they're great to sending off stuff... Go figure).

I hope all the above help a little, you and anyone else.

If there's anything else you'd like, I'll be happy to reply, as long as I can! smile

#1967721 - 10/02/12 10:35 AM Re: Self-publishing a repertoire book in Australia [Re: ymapazagain]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'll repost just to say that I made a lovely tpyo: "SLEF" instead of "SELF". And in the part where I'm mentioning about proof reading! LOL!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (bennevis, a-z0-9, Baudelaire, AZ_Astro, angga888, 22 invisible), 1184 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294631 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission