2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33
S
S
It seems quite ridiculous that in 2012 musicians are still hoping that a new model of piano will have a decent sample memory. I'm still in the market for a DP but I am having trouble parting with my money when they generally still sound nothing like an acoustic piano.

Seriously, stop drip feeding the improvements in technology!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by toddy
Yep:

[Linked Image]

Between the two of them, dunno which looks better. But, as a Brit, my heart bursts with pride. Thinking outside the box - or at least different shaped boxes - that's what it's all about.

Tragically that is an early English Sandwich Toaster, from about Queen Anne, I'd say.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stevesie
It seems quite ridiculous that in 2012 musicians are still hoping that a new model of piano will have a decent sample memory. I'm still in the market for a DP but I am having trouble parting with my money when they generally still sound nothing like an acoustic piano.

I completely agree with you.

However, Roland SN is fairly realistic sounding, with none of the compression artifacts you hear in Yamaha, Casio, Kawai, etc. Pretty good sympathetic resonance too.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dewster

I completely agree with you.

However, Roland SN is fairly realistic sounding, with none of the compression artifacts you hear in Yamaha, Casio, Kawai, etc. Pretty good sympathetic resonance too.

+1 on that. its amazing that my iPhone has 13.6 GB of memory and we all go "oooohhh" over Nords onboard 500 MB. i know not all memory is the same. But this industry is dragging its feet on this issue. the Kronos seems to be breaking to the lead on this, if they can get the complete package together.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bfb
its amazing that my iPhone has 13.6 GB of memory and we all go "oooohhh" over Nords onboard 500 MB. i know not all memory is the same.

Correct, apples and oranges, except Nord oranges are red.

The iphone 4 has the most memory of any iPhone... 512 mb of volatile RAM. Nord has 500 mB (or whatever) of more expensive non-volatile RAM (using a kind of flash). Separately, the iPhone has 16 gb+ of offline storage (another kind of flash). The fact that iOS devices have so little real RAM is why apps run out of memory, even though there is plenty of free storage space.

Kronos leads on the idea of using SSD streaming for pianos, probably because Korg has been building on the Linux foundation since the 2005 OASYS.

S
S
It's all about their profits, which is completely understandable in many ways, and also why it will never change! Unless we start an Open Source Digital Piano Project. I'm going to go get a start on whittling my keys ;-)

K
K
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
No videos of the new pianos on you tube yet. Sounds like the same piano sample is being used with a new sound processor. Any opinions on Casio fixing the problems with their keybeds? What about the price hikes. All the new models will cost nearly 50 percent more than the current models. Are there enough improvements?

This just appeared on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmFACTiuh7s

Cheers!

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by bfb
its amazing that my iPhone has 13.6 GB of memory and we all go "oooohhh" over Nords onboard 500 MB. i know not all memory is the same.

Correct, apples and oranges, except Nord oranges are red.

The iphone 4 has the most memory of any iPhone... 512 mb of volatile RAM. Nord has 500 mB (or whatever) of more expensive non-volatile RAM (using a kind of flash). Separately, the iPhone has 16 gb+ of offline storage (another kind of flash). The fact that iOS devices have so little real RAM is why apps run out of memory, even though there is plenty of free storage space.

Kronos leads on the idea of using SSD streaming for pianos, probably because Korg has been building on the Linux foundation since the 2005 OASYS.

great post.

go Kronos.

Last edited by bfb; 07/14/12 07:01 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KLSinCT

Thanks!

And is it me, or do the upper mid notes (that his right hand spends so much time on) sound kind of bangy, like the velocity curve is set too soft?

S
S
Sounds like a bright jangly attacky digital piano! Could be the patch/settings/recording though.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Great find on You Tube. Casio, like the other manufacturers seem to believe the best demonstration possible is a meandering dirge of trendy, go nowhere, "jazz" chords.

Perhaps one day a manufacturer will actually use real music to demonstrate their instrument.

I must say though, I did like it... thought it was a Roland RD 700 NX at first glimpse.

V
V
One thing I notice from the clip is they've changed the text on top telling you what the buttons are - that looks rather more legible in low light conditions than on the 330.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Will any of you who currently own a PX-X30 series piano upgrade?
I did find the tone a little more natural than the current series. The attack on the demo did seem high, and it would be nice to hear a full song

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KLSinCT
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
No videos of the new pianos on you tube yet. Sounds like the same piano sample is being used with a new sound processor. Any opinions on Casio fixing the problems with their keybeds? What about the price hikes. All the new models will cost nearly 50 percent more than the current models. Are there enough improvements?

Cheers!

K.

I don't suppose there's any chance we're hearing the onboard speakers on that?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
On the Keyboard Corner Forum, Mike Martin of Casio said he ran the output through the line in of his MacBook laptop. He claimed the audio was not clean due to some interference he could not specify. He also said the PX-350 at the Casio booth was a prototype and said the non acoustic sounds were not finalized and that more tweaking would be done before they are released. I am guessing these might start to show up in stores in late September or mid to late October.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 07/14/12 10:41 PM.
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Great find on You Tube. Casio, like the other manufacturers seem to believe the best demonstration possible is a meandering dirge of trendy, go nowhere, "jazz" chords.

Perhaps one day a manufacturer will actually use real music to demonstrate their instrument.

That was Tom Brislin playing. Perhaps you've heard of him, he actually substituted for Rick Wakeman on tour for Yes. I don't know of too many people that have the chops or the courage to be able to handle such a gig. He's also toured with Meat Loaf, Marshall Crenshaw, Debbie Harry (Blondie) and countless others. He writes part time for Keyboard Magazine and also has one heck of a solo album about to come out (he's a great singer too). Frankly he's one of the best musician's I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Tom worked with Casio to demonstrate the XW-P1 synths at Winter NAMM and at this show the new Privia digital pianos.

I'm not sure how many of you have worked a NAMM show before, but it is exhausting. It is 8-10 hours of nearly continuous playing for 3-4 days straight (depending on winter or summer NAMM). Demos with dealers tend to come in waves and I took a moment between dealer demos to grab my camera and get a few moments of Tom just relaxing at the Privia and improvising for a few minutes. Yep it was informal and perhaps you think it was "meandering dirge of trendy, go nowhere, "jazz" chords". Needless to say, I look forward to hearing and seeing videos of your work very soon.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of my own and do not necessarily reflect the official position of any company that I work for.

K
K
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

That was Tom Brislin playing. Perhaps you've heard of him, he actually substituted for Rick Wakeman on tour for Yes. I don't know of too many people that have the chops or the courage to be able to handle such a gig. He's also toured with Meat Loaf, Marshall Crenshaw, Debbie Harry (Blondie) and countless others. He writes part time for Keyboard Magazine and also has one heck of a solo album about to come out (he's a great singer too). Frankly he's one of the best musician's I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Tom worked with Casio to demonstrate the XW-P1 synths at Winter NAMM and at this show the new Privia digital pianos.

I'm not sure how many of you have worked a NAMM show before, but it is exhausting. It is 8-10 hours of nearly continuous playing for 3-4 days straight (depending on winter or summer NAMM). Demos with dealers tend to come in waves and I took a moment between dealer demos to grab my camera and get a few moments of Tom just relaxing at the Privia and improvising for a few minutes. Yep it was informal and perhaps you think it was "meandering dirge of trendy, go nowhere, "jazz" chords". Needless to say, I look forward to hearing and seeing videos of your work very soon.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of my own and do not necessarily reflect the official position of any company that I work for.

Hi Mike!

Many thanks for posting the demo video of the new Casio PX-350 at summer NAMM. When will these new Privia models be available for purchase in the US? Also, will the wooden stand and triple-pedal unit of the PX-330 fit the new PX-350?

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Seriously, stop drip feeding the improvements in technology!

I have two answers to this

(1) I recently sold a way-old Roland to a guy who makes his living playing in public. He thinks the sound is fine when you put it in a mix with others. People are making money with entry level or worse DPs while us play at home types complain about all kinds of technical stuff.

(2) you CAN have all that technical stuff, multi-gigabyte non-looped samples, layered sounds and studio quality impulse response reverb and you name it if only you connect a computer. The little Mac Mini only costs $600 and is the size of a large power brick. Sound is so good using a computer that most home users will make better recordings using MIDI than if they mic'd their acoustic grand piano.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Mike,
You are missing the point. I am not in any way criticising the musician, I am not on any ego trip, I am happy to admit he is, (like many demonstrators) better than me.

I am not criticising the instrument, NAMM, workers/staff or anything like that.

I am criticising the manufacturers. Why, when so much great music that we can all identify and relate to, is in the public domain do companies think we all want to hear this stuff?
OK, this IS the first upload and yes, certainly, anything is better than nothing. Perhaps Casio will mix styles in their official output.
But many, many, videos DO use this sort of music to demonstrate a product.

Here as an example is a previous Casio video... it starts so well too (well, about 18 seconds in)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kfcz2YIgIY

I don't care how good a musician is, I (personally) hate it, I am sick of it and I stand by all I said.

Good thing we aren't all alike and please don't waste your time waiting for anything I may produce, even if I did it is quite obvious we probably have wildly differing tastes, despite the fact I do play Meatloaf, Blondie and Yes, along with the attempts at Chopin and Bach.

But, as I also said in my first post, I think it sounds like a great piano, I would just have liked to have heard it play something I know to give me a real reference.

As a Roland fan I have regard for John Maul and Scott Tibbs and am envious of ANY musician who works with these companies. It is a great honour to recieve the trust of people with so much to lose. That doesn't mean that I automatically love the choice of music, I (very) often don't.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 07/15/12 03:18 AM.
Slipperykeys,
If there is something stylistically that you'd like to hear, then why not simply say what that is? I had nothing to do with the video you referenced but again instead of offering a suggestion of what kind of music you'd like to hear, you simply say what you don't want to hear. I'm not sure why you'd assume that we have different tastes in music, I don't think you know anything about me other than an assumption based on what Tom happened to be playing when I a quick moment to grab a camera.

The reality is during a NAMM show and an instrument like Privia we try to cover all styles of music and we played everything from classical, rock, jazz and everything in between.

Have a nice day,

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission