2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by keystring
I didn't have time to listen to the whole presentation, and there was no way to fast forward. Does she ever show anything in that demo? Does she ever elucidate beyond vague terms what she is offering? You may want to ask in the ABF if anyone has tried this.
No. I had looked into what she was claiming and sat through 2 videos that I couldn't fast forward through. Nowhere does she offer any solid support for her claims. That doesn't mean anything necessarily, but come on - throw us a bone! Give us something free to know that you can actually follow through on your claims. This makes me suspicious.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by attaboy
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Despite what Attaboy may hear, I have no doubt there are splendid piano teachers in and around Buffalo, NY. He should find one - and if he wishes, supplement his studies with videos from Mme Vartic.

Well just to give two examples, when I asked one of the best pianists in the area, a personal friend, for a recommendation he stated I'm probably just as well off continuing on my own. Another fine pianist, who has impressive youtube presentations, got his early training from area piano teachers. His comments indicated that he really didn't realize how poor his training had been until he began studying with out of the area teachers.
I also asked for a recommendation from a classical viola/cello player of some renown in the area. I didn't get what I felt was an encouraging response. Of course, I came to this area later in life so I suppose its possible I've missed some valuable resources. I've never heard mention of a stand out piano teacher in this area. In contrast, in my much smaller home town of Scranton Pa. there was one teacher that was considered the best and in my youth this was well known to aspiring pianists. I think its possible that with both Eastman in Rochester and the fine music department at Fredonia, both an hours drive away, teachers in Buffalo area have been overlooked.
Making a recommendation that "I should find one" is fine, and I appreciate your suggestion. But how does one go about that in a quality way that doesn't consume a lot of research time?? One thing I want to dearly avoid is spending a lot of time and money on going thru piano teachers to find the right one.

First of all, you will have to do research if you want to find a quality teacher. Sometimes people get lucky and on their first attempt they find the right teacher for them. I'm not saying your friend doesn't know what they're talking about, but they are not necessarily in the educational field to know who to refer you to. Clearly, they had not done this research before getting their teachers (or their parents didn't), and they paid the price. Someone training to be a concert pianist will be in the market for a very different teacher than an adult intermediate student. Not to say the two can't overlap, but the kind of teacher they find valuable may not necessarily be the kind of teacher you would find valuable. A couple of suggestions:

- Do a search on this website for how to find a good teacher. This has been covered exhaustively in other threads and there will be many good points that perhaps you did not first consider.

- When you have read the advice given, be patient in your search for the right teacher for you. Interview, try out an introductory lesson (many teachers will do a free interview/first lesson), and then make your decision from there.

- Bear in mind that bad habits are inevitable. We all get them, even the best pianists, and yes, even teachers. You have developed them in your self-teaching, and you will need some remedial work to undo them. The problem is, it's hard to notice them until they've become so ingrained in your playing they begin to affect your ability to play. A teacher who can see this and tell you this is going to be much better than one who doesn't notice you have bad habits at all.

- With an hour or two per day of practice, you can accomplish quite a bit. I found this resource:

According to one of Chopin’s student Madame Dubois, it seems that Chopin agreed with Hummel. For Delfina, another of his students, Chopin wrote: “Once again I repeat – don’t play more than two hours a day; that is quite enough during the summer.”32For von Timm Chopin recommended “not practicing too long, but to reading, looking at beautiful art works, or taking walks as periods of rest from practice.”33 Chopin did not believe that six or eight hour practice periods “signified diligence. He considered it mechanical, unintelligent and useless labor. He insisted upon complete concentration, alertness, and attentiveness as the utmost requirements for good practicing.”34
Taken from http://www.forte-piano-pianissimo.com/ChopintheTeacher.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Morodiene
<...> No. I had looked into what she was claiming and sat through 2 videos that I couldn't fast forward through. Nowhere does she offer any solid support for her claims. That doesn't mean anything necessarily, but come on - throw us a bone! Give us something free to know that you can actually follow through on your claims. This makes me suspicious.

Then you might want to look at her Youtube channel there are many samples that you can fast forward and even a full (53 minute long video) "Correct Piano Practice".
Also here's a video to show that she can actually play the piano illustrating the use of scales in pieces. I'm not a pianist, but I like her playing a lot and wanted her to finish that Rachmaninoff prelude Op. 23. No. 5 smile
I would love to have access to her website, but I can not afford it at the moment plus I don't have the time (first year in university) and also I have a teacher who is also teaching me using the methods of the Russian school of piano playing. My 4x45min lessons cost me only about 30 USD a month...
Anyways...

Last edited by Evaldas; 11/04/13 11:16 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Evaldas
... I have a teacher who is also teaching me using the methods of the Russian school of piano playing. My 4x45min lessons cost me only about 30 USD a month...
Anyways...
What is the "Russian school" of piano playing? Can you define it for me?

I have a feeling it's a catch-all phrase, like the Bel Canto method of singing. Everyone claims they teach it, and yet their students all sound nothing like great singers of the past - nor do these Bel Canto students sound like each other.

I hear a lot about the Russian school of playing, but so far all I've seen is that it means you have a teacher with a Russian accent. Hopefully there's more to it than that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by attaboy
One thing I want to dearly avoid is spending a lot of time and money on going thru piano teachers to find the right one.

I'll echo Morodiene, as I often do. Finding the right piano teacher will indeed take time. Accept this. Or else choose someone online with a few mouse clicks and good luck.

But finding the right piano teacher won't cost much money. You can come to Toronto and spend an hour with me for free. I do that with every potential piano student. It's not a gimmick: I'm looking for a student/teacher relationship that is going to endure. Most piano teachers view their work similarly, and would not charge for a first meeting (though it might be only 20-30 minutes).

But if you want to do something more interesting, take a single paid piano lesson of 60-90 minutes with each of 3 piano teachers in Buffalo. You'll grow musically, you'll probably enjoy yourself, and probably at least one teacher will feel right for you.

P.S. As Morodiene has suggested, don't find a piano teacher by talking to a concert pianist: people do this often, and it's usually a mistake.

E
E
... I have a teacher who is also teaching me using the methods of the Russian school of piano playing. My 4x45min lessons cost me only about 30 USD a month...
Anyways...

Sure I can , - it's when you are being taught to play piano by someone who has been trained in the former Soviet Union territory :P

Last edited by Evaldas; 11/04/13 11:57 AM.
M
M
Anyways...

Sure I can , - it's when you are being taught to play piano by someone who has been trained in the former Soviet Union territory :P
And what benefit is there in that exactly?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Anyways...

I don't know about the benefits wink. I'm not teaching it... One thing I know that in this method there's a HUGE difference between playing legato and non-legato. Between phrases or non-legato notes it is important to lift the hand from the keys bending the wrist (fingers pointing downwards) and the elbow almost draws a circle in the frontal plane around the sagittal axis. My teacher calls it a "ballet" move. (The teacher from Piano Career academy talking about this topic)
Also we don't practice scales with a metronome and we octaves aren't practiced usually at all...

M
M
Anyways...

I don't know about the benefits wink. I'm not teaching it... One thing I know that in this method there's a HUGE difference between playing legato and non-legato. Between phrases or non-legato notes it is important to lift the hand from the keys bending the wrist (fingers pointing downwards) and the elbow almost draws a circle in the frontal plane around the sagittal axis. My teacher calls it a "ballet" move. (The teacher from Piano Career academy talking about this topic)
Also we don't practice scales with a metronome and we octaves aren't practiced usually at all...
What you have said is not really anything that I could attribute to a Russian school. Perhaps I'll start another thread on this topic rather than further derail it smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by keystring
I didn't have time to listen to the whole presentation, and there was no way to fast forward. Does she ever show anything in that demo? Does she ever elucidate beyond vague terms what she is offering? You may want to ask in the ABF if anyone has tried this.
No. I had looked into what she was claiming and sat through 2 videos that I couldn't fast forward through. Nowhere does she offer any solid support for her claims. That doesn't mean anything necessarily, but come on - throw us a bone! Give us something free to know that you can actually follow through on your claims. This makes me suspicious.

Just to make the picture complete, that post of mine was followed by another, after a response to that first one led me to the right place.
Originally Posted by keystring-a-bit-later smile
I was able to see a few of her videos. She teaches the things a good teacher teaches, but I wonder if they can come across in a video. I saw something that I'm working on right now. Her demonstration lasts maybe 10 or 20 seconds in the middle of a lot of talk. I wonder whether the demonstrated thing might not need to be broken down and taught in stages. And also whether this can be done by video, or whether it wouldn't be better to work directly with a teacher and get feedback. The elephant in the room is that so often students who do engage a teacher end not being taught what they need, and so we look for other resources.

The words "holistic" etc. is just a euphemism for what music study should be about. But how often is it?

Addendum: The other video I watched seemed thorough.

Last edited by keystring; 11/05/13 09:34 AM.
I want to respond to the ideas posted earlier, which compares choosing an on-line teacher through "a few clicks" versus visiting local teachers for a one-time lesson. It's too simplistic.

In general, I prefer the idea of working with a teacher in-studio, locally, in regular lessons. The advantages have been stated often enough. But as some posters have been saying, it is not that easy.

In regards to that site - well, to say anything about it, you first have to examine it. It is not something to be gotten through "a few clicks". For the course she teaches for group consumption - i.e. pre-created lessons - there is an organized outline. There is structure. In the sample lesson for a particular piece, she is including the types of things that I would want to see, and that are often missing. But this is the point where I have questions:
- I agree that before working on a piece you should study the piece, do "analysis" so you understand it. But if someone is a beginner and novice to music, he will first need to get the underpinnings. You cannot find phrases if you can't recognize a phrase; ditto for any of the other concepts. Does she teach these underpinnings?
- ditto for technique demonstrated for passages.

I'd think that if I went that route, I would want to have one-on-one Skype lessons, and that her material would be a supplement. In fact, maybe traditional in-class teachers might have supplements that they can refer all students to: reference material.
------------------------
Back to the idea of attending a single lesson of different teachers. Can you actually get an idea through one sample lesson or visit? Is what is described on that site less - or more - information? I am especially cautious about teachers who "specialize in teaching adults" - because there are some ideas floating around on what adults want and need which I don't particularly care for. I would want to know what that teacher's philosophies and expectations are for all students. If they have ideas about adults, I'd want to know what they are. Including negative experiences, in order to avoid them on my side.

IF a suitable local teacher can be found, that is probably almost always better.

B
B
I've been considering trying her lessons. The Youtube videos are really good very informative. And it's the Russian School of piano study.

Hi guys!

I am Ilinca Vartic, founder and teacher at PianoCareerAcademy.com.

I was pleasantly surprised to accidentally find this topic on Piano World - and I will be more than happy to answer your questions about my Piano Coaching Program grin.

Moreover, if you have specific questions about the functionality of PianoCareerAcademy.com (that are not covered below), you can send an email to my Customer Support assistant (Natalia), who will be happy to share with you all the details you are curious about! wink

Also, I am well-aware that the homepage of PCA is far from being perfect, and that the video presentation is not detailed enough. PCA was launched in February 2012, and that video was made before I even started creating videos for this project.

But this is about to change really soon! cool

Now my team and I are working on transforming the entire design of the web-site - and the improved homepage will contain everything you might want to know before joining:
- a detailed video tour of the Members Area,
- excerpts from my lessons,
- what exactly is included in the membership -
and many many other useful things!

We're actively working on this now - and we hope to launch the new web-site by the end of summer! laugh

In the meantime, I will share with you a short presentation of PianoCareerAcademy.com (including what you can find in the Members Area):

PianoCareerAcademy.com is the only Piano Coaching Program on the internet that shares the professional principles of the Russian piano school in a detailed, holistic, very in-depth manner - offering its members premium quality tutorials that cannot be found anywhere else (unless you study with a professor trained in a Russian-style Conservatoire).

For those of you that are skeptical about the term 'Russian piano school': it is not a vague combination of words with a marketing purpose LOL - but a very specific teaching/studying system used in the professional musical schools, Lyceums and Conservatoires/Academies from Russia and all the countries of the former Soviet Union (such as Moldova, my country). This system is very different from the one used in the Western world - its main characteristics being (very shortly): simultaneous and harmonious development of ALL the skills of a future pianist, in-depth understanding of the artistic concept of each piece, focus on expression (everything starts with the message of the piece), very complex and flexible approach to repertoire, whole-arm action (as opposed to the old-school finger-only action, still widely used in Western countries), relaxation and ergonomic playing, the complex ‘science’ behind creating an extremely wide range of sound colors – especially the famous Russian deep ‘singing’ sound, that transcends the ‘percussive’ nature of the piano; focus and awareness; ‘magnifying glass’ practice; a very complex and very useful scale system… and the list could go on and on! smile I share all these (and many other) principles - in a very detailed manner - in all my tutorials.

You can find out more about my experience and qualifications by reading my short bio on my blog: www.pianocareer.com/about.

By the way - on my blog you can also find the Complete List of Tutorials (http://www.pianocareer.com/holistic-piano-playing/piano-career-academy-tutorials/) available for the members of my Coaching Program.

Returning to the PCA presentation grin: Once you become a member, you'll have instant access to our ENTIRE database (there are NO limitations): hundreds of exclusive video and written tutorials (including step-by-step courses) focused on the most important piano playing topics, being structured according to categories and levels. We also share many scores and teaching resources (including unique materials we use in the Russian piano school).

Besides the enormous database of existing tutorials, I am posting new ones on a regular basis.

I'm currently working on the following projects:

1. Piano Masterpieces - Detailed Video Lessons for All Levels. I take one piece at a time (alternating levels, styles and genres) and I analyze it in detail, also sharing LOTS of practice tips.

2. Practicing Scales and Arpeggios - The Art Behind the Exercise. This step-by-step holistic practice guide comprises many progressive episodes, covering the entire scale system we use in the Russian piano school, with super-detailed practice tips for every level.

3. Nikolaev - Russian School of Piano Playing. Step-by-Step Video Practice Guide for Piano Beginners. By following this progressive Practice Guide (62 lessons are already LIVE - and I continue to post a new lesson each fortnight), you will learn how to play piano from scratch, discovering all the principles of correct practice and studying in depth the professional secrets of the Russian piano school (which will help you to play with ease, fluidity and expressiveness)!

The Video Lessons start at the beginning of this useful method book - and I demonstrate how to practice each piece in detail, simultaneously sharing all the fundamentals that any beginner should know for setting a stable, comfortable, enjoyable piano playing foundation: musical notation and theory, correct posture and key attack, the basics of tone creation, relaxation and tension-free ergonomic playing, technique and expression, phrasing and musical analysis, imagination and artistry (to name just a few).

4. Piano Masterclasses. Once in several months, you can share your recordings in our 'online masterclass', so that I could give you better practice advice! wink

Besides teaching the secrets of a correct, productive and enjoyable piano playing, our Piano Coaching Program also helps each student to grow, to discover his/her unique talents, to learn more about the psychological aspects of musical performance (including how to increase our confidence, how to get rid of performance anxiety etc.), to improve his/her health and well-being and so on.

On our forum you'll also find support and motivation - and an awesome community of piano enthusiasts!

Therefore, the membership includes:
- 24/7 access to ALL our hundreds of video and written tutorials;
- Access to our step-by-step courses (the Lessons for Beginners, the Scale Lessons);
- New tutorials every week;
- Downloadable scores and method books (including unique materials we use in the Russian piano school);
- Thousands of captivating piano conversations with piano students/teachers/enthusiasts from the entire world;
- The possibility to submit recordings in our MasterClass and receive detailed feedback;
- The possibility to chat with other members of our big community, to share your recordings and your piano progress with them;
- Piano motivation, inspiration, health advice;
- ... and much much more!

If you have other questions about the functionality of PianoCareerAcademy.com, don't hesitate to ask - by sending an email at pianocareeracademy@gmail.com.

And, as several of you have mentioned above, you can always watch/read the free tutorials available on my blog (PianoCareer.com) and on my YouTube channel for assessing the quality and style of my teaching smile.

Thank you so much for reading this post and I hope that my answer was helpful! wink

Sincerely,
Ilinca Vartic

Last edited by Ilinca; 06/18/14 08:27 AM.

PianoCareerAcademy.com - Holistic Piano Coaching
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by kayvee
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by Joe K.
I had been taking lessons with an extremely skilled pianist and teacher, but unfortunately, working full time, I do not have the time to invest to justify the price of $45 lessons every other week.

Actually, considering the very low fee for instruction, it's amazing you got anything of value from these lessons.
They could have been for 30 minute lessons. Many teachers in my area with an MA charge $45-50 for the half-hour.

Advice to any adult taking 30 minute lessons. Stop immediately and move to an hour.

That suggests to me a test for finding a good teacher.

If the whole hour is valuable, that's good. If you get through everything in a half hour, they're missing something.

gotta go practice
J
J
I am doing 30 min lessons weekly, I find they usually go for about 40 min(my teacher doesnt have a student immediately after me). And it doesnt seem like we get through everything, but I always leave feeling fullfilled and with more than enough to keep me busy during the week.

Im considering trying to change it to a full hour, would a full hour bi weekly be better than 30 min weekly? I really dont want to double the cost of my lessons =P lol

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by J.T.1986

Im considering trying to change it to a full hour, would a full hour bi weekly be better than 30 min weekly? I really dont want to double the cost of my lessons =P lol

You're not looking at cost the same way. Are you getting the same value at twice the price? Are you getting more than twice the value?

Thinking out loud:

I've had some teachers that had covered all they knew to teach in that half hour. I could pay them for an hour's lesson but I'd still get only 30 minutes value.

Another teacher might give you 60 minutes value for a 60 minute lesson. Then you've broken even.

But a really good teacher might be able to give you instruction of more depth given enough time - then you're getting 70 or 80 minutes worth of value, maybe even more, for the price of 60 minutes. That's what you hope for.

gotta go practice
J
J
thats a good way of looking at it.. I think as far as value goes im getting more then 30 min value, in 30 minutes time. It definitely to me feels like im getting great value of instruction for the amount of time spend..
my previous teacher was a very good jazz pianist, but id give his lessons 15 minutes value for 30 minutes of time spent, and more expensive also.

My current instructor is great and very giving and thoughtful when it comes to sharing her knowledge and ensuring I am having a good understanding.
so maybe its better for me to stay at 30 min weekly as opposed to 60 min bi weekly?

Thanks for that reply:)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hello Joe,

If you do not have the time to invest "to justify the price of $45 lessons every other week" then it appears that the issue is not who your teacher is, but finding practice time - a very different issue.

I am skeptical of something-for-nothing sales pitches asserting you "won't have to work hard" or "sacrifice anything". Those are buzz words directed to exploit lazy Americans who are suckers for anything that promises to be "easy". That was never the "Russian School"! LOL. I can imagine how Vengerova, Blumenfeld, Lhevinne, or Neuhaus would react to that sales pitch if they were still with us.

Or, to peer through the other end of the telescope: if one doesn't mind playing really badly, then it will not take "hard work" or "sacrifice" to achieve that end, and instantly, by the way.

There are no longer national schools of piano playing as in the 19th and early 20th century, per se, for all musical and technical information is freely available to all who pursue it - no one has a monopoly on information where piano playing is concerned - those days are long over.

Contrary to the sales pitch, I have not encountered any piano teachers who advocate the "fingers only" method of harpsichord playing. If you wish to subscribe to those videos, fine, but the "Russian School" exclusivity claim is merely wishful thinking. The elements of piano practice discussed in the sales promotion video are the commonplace in all music conservatories and among reputable private teachers, and have been for decades.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ilinca

PianoCareerAcademy.com is the only Piano Coaching Program on the internet that shares the professional principles of the Russian piano school in a detailed, holistic, very in-depth manner - offering its members premium quality tutorials that cannot be found anywhere else (unless you study with a professor trained in a Russian-style Conservatoire).

For those of you that are skeptical about the term 'Russian piano school': it is not a vague combination of words with a marketing purpose LOL - but a very specific teaching/studying system used in the professional musical schools, Lyceums and Conservatoires/Academies from Russia and all the countries of the former Soviet Union (such as Moldova, my country). This system is very different from the one used in the Western world -

But it is, indeed, a "vague combination of words with a marketing purpose" otherwise you would not use them at all.

Being new to the Western hemisphere you are not yet aware that all the methods of which you speak have been commonly employed for decades in Europe and North America. Among reputable teachers and conservatories there is only one international school at this point. And contrary to your assertion, nobody I have ever encountered teaches a "fingers only" technique a la Couperin.

Your claim of exclusivity is entirely untrue.

Hi Jonathan!

Thank you for your reply smile.

I am actually not that 'new' to the Western hemisphere.

I have been teaching online for almost 5 years (in real-life for more than 10), having lots of students from the entire world - and during this time I have always been baffled by how MANY piano students are STILL playing by using the old-school finger-only approach!

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that in the top Conservatoires of the Western world (NY, Paris, Vienna etc.) there are GREAT piano professors who teach according to the principles I mentioned above. I'm sure you're one of them - and so are most of the other awesome members of this Piano Teachers forum! smile

BUT - what happens in Conservatoires is one thing - and what happens in thousands of piano studios across the world is something entirely different!!! Since I launched PCA, I had many hundreds of students, and about 90% of them have never heard about whole-arm action and relaxed playing, have never been taught how to analyze the artistic concept or dramaturgy of a piece, have never been shown expressive techniques in detail... and this list could go on and on! Obviously, I'm talking about intermediate and advanced students here (because my absolute beginners start from scratch with the correct fundamentals).

Most of them are suffering from various types of injuries and muscle pain (related to incorrect posture and tensed playing) - and only after a couple of weeks on PCA, they feel a great relief and discover that piano playing can be a comfortable, enjoyable, fulfilling activity!

Of course, because of globalization we can no longer say that the secrets of the Russian piano school are known only to Russian teachers LOL. Most of them are indeed available in the best Conservatoires of the world, and hopefully very soon they will be known to all pianists out there!

But, unfortunately, these principles are NOT yet widely spread - and, for sure, they are not taught online either (in a thorough, very deep, professional manner like the one I use in all my tutorials).

About one year ago I was in Vienna, and I had an awesome meeting with a professor from the Viennese Conservatoire (who was familiar with my online work, and wanted to meet me in real life and discuss piano teaching). We talked about many interesting things - and he did mention that while my YouTube tutorials are really good (he said they are the best online, but that was HIS opinion LOL), many of my methods ARE different from the ones they use (we were talking specifically about the arm-finger focus, sound quality, expressive techniques etc.). He definitely accepted the term 'Russian piano school', and he had a great respect for our methods.

So I talk from experience (from teaching hundreds of people from the entire world) when I say that the finger-only approach is STILL unfortunately alive, that there are teachers out there who still start with 5-finger exercises when teaching beginners (instead of playing with the entire relaxed arm, one finger at a time, like we do in the Russian piano school), that so many students focus solely on correct text and fingering (instead of starting with the artistic concept of the piece) - and again, the list can go on.

By the way, on PCA we have a really cool MasterClass tradition - where our members can post their own video recordings and receive detailed video feedback from me. Guess which is the main problem that most of them experience? Yes, finger-only action, 'suspended' tensed playing, lack of wrist navigation, brutal harsh sound etc. etc.!!! The great thing is that after only several months their playing changes dramatically - and my heart fills with joy when I see someone from Texas, or Japan, or South Africa, or Korea, or Australia, or Brazil playing with professional gestures, in a relaxed manner, with awareness, bringing out most of the needed expressive tasks smile.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion (which I respect) - but the facts are unfortunately different. Just go to YouTube and watch some student performances (and I don't mean those who study in the best Conservatoires of the world) - and you'll see straight away what I mean.

We have many teachers on PCA (who have their own studios, and joined our community to improve their teaching methods) and they say the same thing I mentioned above smile. Therefore, my opinion is not taken from my experience alone - but also from everything our teachers (and students) have shared with me.

Of course, there will always be different opinions about a certain term (such as 'Russian piano school'). What else is new on the Internet? LOL People disagree everywhere, and this is normal. When I was doing my PhD research, I was constantly laughing at how definitions and concepts varied from one 'academic' book to the next one. Professional musicologists disagreed and fought fiercely about terms, notions, interpretations of various pieces, harmonic rules, the boundaries of certain national schools LOL etc. etc. etc.

I know LOTS of professional teachers and concert pianists who have the same beliefs as I do when it comes to the term "Russian piano school". I know others who (just like you) disagree with us. It's certainly their right - and both 'parties' have hundreds of arguments in their favor.

But in the end, the only thing that matters is to help people and to teach them correctly. My credo is that everyone deserves to learn how to play correctly and professionally, even amateurs! Why should amateurs suffer from tension and muscle pain? Why should they only learn correct notes and fingering? Why should they get disappointed and give up on our amazing art simply because nobody showed them how to relax their wrist? Why should ergonomic playing be taught only in Conservatoires?

I would love to continue this conversation, but I have a very demanding work schedule (I post 2-3 new video tutorials per week, not to mention all the other admin activities), and I usually work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I found this PianoWorld thread accidentally, and I just wanted to answer those very fair questions that people had here (especially about our home page LOL, which is now being improved).

So enough talking for me - words are just words, and I prefer to let my work speak for itself, which means that I have to get back to it and design some new tutorials! smile

But, as I mentioned above, my assistant Natalia will be happy to answer any questions about the functionality of PCA if you send her an email at pianocareeracademy@gmail.com.

Thank you and have an amazing week everyone! wink

Cheers,
Ilinca

Last edited by Ilinca; 06/23/14 07:28 AM.

PianoCareerAcademy.com - Holistic Piano Coaching
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission