Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (bennevis, Andre Lev, Barly, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 32 invisible), 1278 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1972587 - 10/13/12 02:20 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: DonaldLee]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: DonaldLee
....2 months, or maybe 1 would be sufficient enough to get all of the notes and rhythms perfected and memorized, but making the piece communicate could take much, MUCH longer....

Well said -- and that's just it when it comes to pieces like this. (Even more so for a similar other thread about another piece that shall remain nameless grin -- even though you said it isn't!)

And in this case there would seem to be issues about the mere notes also, since (as several people have said) the piece is probably significantly harder than anything else that the person has played. But even if not, what you said would apply.

(Want to say why you think this about the Liszt, but not the other piece?? Seems to me like an odd juxtaposition!)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1972981 - 10/14/12 01:12 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: Mark_C]
DonaldLee Offline

I said that the other piece on the other thread (my god, this is getting confusing) would be manageable by the other person because said person has more experience with rather difficult pieces. Also, the conservatory setting forces people to refine pieces much more quickly. e.g.: I began Les Adieux the summer before entering university as a piano performance major. I had struggled dearly with the piece, interpretation wise, for months. 4.5 later (now), I'm comfortable performing it because I finally had 3 lessons on just this piece, and devoted 4.5 hours of practice per day on this piece alone. Beforehand, I was just shooting in the dark about how to make the piece speak. I assumed the OP might have a similar problem, as he made no reference to having a skilled professor's help. I thought OP on the other post would have a lot more help, and would have been able to get all of the notes down in 1-2 weeks, then devote lots of time to the interpretation of the piece.

Also, the importance of event comes into play here. Playing a piece that has not fully blossomed under your hand is very risky at an audition. A non-degree recital is not graded or judged (at least not at my school), thus making an "almost there, just missing a hint of something" piece a tad more acceptable.

Edited by DonaldLee (10/14/12 01:33 AM)
Edit Reason: Completely changing the last sentences
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1972985 - 10/14/12 01:26 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: DonaldLee]
Mark_C Offline

Nice answer!
I mean, I see it differently (need I say!) grin but very nice answer -- it works, according to how ones sees the Chopin ballade, and how one sees Chopin vs. Liszt.

#1972986 - 10/14/12 01:34 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: Mark_C]
DonaldLee Offline

I did, however, have to retract my statement about Chopin speaking easier than Liszt. I must have been thinking about preludes or waltzes, and not the ballades.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1972996 - 10/14/12 02:31 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: DonaldLee]
Mark_C Offline

Good! smile
I was willing to accept the other thing as a reasonable difference of opinion, very broadly considered grin ....but I didn't understand it.

You could also have said it about other pieces of Chopin, such as most of the Polonaises -- and maybe, maybe even about a Ballade or two or three -- but, IMO, not that piece.

#1973031 - 10/14/12 06:10 AM Re: Liszt Ballade 2 from scratch in 5 months - feasible? [Re: Piquelol]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
Horowitz MET recording with the Beethoven late piano sonata is so haunting in the introduction not even Bolet give it that color. But Horowitz play the b theme always brings me to tears.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159309 Topics
2340203 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission