2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Newman - I really enjoyed Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate. I never heard this before. It sounds like it was written for solo piano and vocal. Is that how the original was done?

Pianoweb - Congrats on your first posting to the piano bar! Victory in Jesus was well done. Keep the Gospel/blues coming!

Falmc - Wow, two camera angles and the key map. Unfortunately for all of us, the piano is arguably the least photogenic of all instruments. Personally, I think the "floating hands" thing is kind of creepy. But I really like how you've mixed it up with a full front view, then top, repeat. You get a lot more character of the player that way. Playing a solid rendition of Wherever You Go on top of it brought it all together. Nice.

Cgyan - Everything about the performance of No More Tears was spot on. The flow, pacing, dynamics. Just great to listen to.

Pianoweb - I used an old Yamaha P200 played through a Peavy tube guitar amp to get that sound on October's Lament. If I remember correctly, the P200 was a middle of the road EP of the first generation that actually had weighted keys. None of the sound emulations are very good except for the vibes which sound realistic to me. The speakers on the piano itself are pretty bad so you have to play it through something else if you want to record. A tube amp seemed to make just the right complement to the vibes sound.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Greener: Loved that arrangement, your dad must be proud

Not been around for so long I thought I'd just pop something in the piano bar myself that I've been working on today

Playing around with I Can't Give You Anything But Love smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Seaside Lee~ Welcome back to the Piano Bar and a fine submission you shared. I really enjoyed the chording and the way you started to make it swing a bit. Thank you for your music. Love that tune!

Here is a work-in-progress with drums and bass combo (one time through) for Angel Eyes, a standard from the mid-40s. Hope you like it.

Angel Eyes
https://www.box.com/s/etk8qxysvz3abu1zil4u

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oooh yeah I love it Glen!

I don't know the song but it doesn't matter just loved hearing your jazzy licks I need to know how you get those cool backing tracks to play along to?

How have you recorded that?

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
Originally Posted by Inlanding

Here is a work-in-progress with drums and bass combo (one time through) for Angel Eyes, a standard from the mid-40s. Hope you like it.

Angel Eyes

Glen

Nailed it! Do you feel your playing changing yet with the trio? You did a good job of having your voicings not conflict with the bass player. That takes a little while when you are used to normally playing chord roots as a solo player. Keep 'em coming. This will be fun!

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Seaside Lee~ Welcome back to the Piano Bar and a fine submission you shared. I really enjoyed the chording and the way you started to make it swing a bit. Thank you for your music. Love that tune!

Angel Eyes

Glen

That was great...how do you add the other instruments. I love that sound.

F
F
Originally Posted by kenjazz

Falmc - Wow, two camera angles and the key map. Unfortunately for all of us, the piano is arguably the least photogenic of all instruments. Personally, I think the "floating hands" thing is kind of creepy. But I really like how you've mixed it up with a full front view, then top, repeat. You get a lot more character of the player that way. Playing a solid rendition of Wherever You Go on top of it brought it all together. Nice.

Yes i also think the floating hands look so ugly but a static position is worst than that, guitarrist do theirs nice poses, bass players same thing, so as a pianist you have to do some crappy poses to enchant your play style

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
BillM: fantastic job on thunder road! Wish I could sing half as good as you, Bravo

Lee

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lee - Hey, welcome back. I really enjoyed that, especially the when you began the little sycopations. Swingin!

Glen - You're becoming a one-man trio fast! Keep it up.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

Angel Eyes

Glen

Nailed it! Do you feel your playing changing yet with the trio? You did a good job of having your voicings not conflict with the bass player. That takes a little while when you are used to normally playing chord roots as a solo player. Keep 'em coming. This will be fun!

Thanks, Ken. Yes, having played only solo piano, there are many limitations to overcome when playing with others. My biggest achilles heel is making changes in time, so learning playing with others (virtual or not) is a huge step in the right direction. I just have to be very careful to not overdo it. My wrists/elbows are not yet ready for prime-time.

Mark and Seaside, thanks for the kind words using BIAB. As for the mic placement, I just put it in between the speakers and piano in hopes there's enough sound and a decent balance for the instruments.

JimF~ Glad you liked it!

Here is a faster version. I made two recordings, the previous one (in quotes above), then, the next day, this. Hope you like this one, too. Thanks again.

Angel Eyes (up tempo)
https://www.box.com/s/kldqzr6ebzia3auh3g3n

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
ladypayne - hey, that was great and your photo looks wonderful, the colors are amazing! It still impresses me how the 'beginners' on this forum can compose music and create something as engaging and detailed as your piece. Well done! Oh, and maybe like others, I kept pulling my headphones off thinking my smoke alarm battery was giving up! laugh

amaruk - nice job, I'm listening to a lot of Yann Tierson at the moment so I particularly enjoyed that. You can definitely see the pleasure you get from playing it as you are completely relaxed and just let the music flow. Superb audio and video quality too!

mark - now I've definitely heard this before but I can't place where, maybe in past recitals. Good job, though, it's quite a charming little piece and you played it quite expressively and with passion.

kenjazz - well, if a description ever matched a piece of music then yours did it! I can almost taste the smokey atmosphere whilst listening. Jazz isn't really my thing but I can appreciate a good piece of music composition and that was certainly a creative piece which I enjoyed a lot as much for the mental images as for the music itself. Good job!

Inlanding - Glen!! How are you doing, buddy? It's great to be back again with friends and music. That's a nice touch with the drums and bass on the jazz improvs, it just further confirms to me you're a jazz superstar waiting to be discovered on the big stage :-D.

Greener - hey, Greener, that's some nice chops you got there! It sounded effortless under your fingers and just flowed beautifully. I've no idea, but is it from the Richard Gere movie from a few years back?

BillM - Bill, you know you're one of my main favourites in this community because of your generosity of time and comments to members new and old. And of course the music never fails to hit the spot and once again I'm left wanting more and have to hit replay again. Long may you entertain us!

Rickster - that is so cool! It must have been something really special to play with your kids on such a special day. You had me bopping! laugh

Falmc - terrific job, very clean and purely played, I was sad it wasn't longer. Hope you'll record all of it soon smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
pianonewb
That was a great first submission!! It seems like you are having great fun letting the music just flow thru you. Thanks for sharing!

Newman
Your new recording is fantastic!! You play this very well and what a great singing voice you have!! Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hear more of your recordings here.

Seaside Lee
That is quite the piece you are "working" on….! Your performance is fantastic. I love how you you master the dynamics in it so well. Great job!!

Inlanding
Time travel back to the 40s…. Great!! It always sounds like great fun when you play with your "band'! You will have to teach us all how you pull these things off. It sounds amazing to me. Your performance is as good as always! I think I like the first (slow) version the best. Just my preference. Thanks for sharing Glenn!

Since I had so much fun putting together my latest video on my computer I decided to re-edit a recent video (my favorite Amélie piece) in a similar fashion:

[video:youtube]OP0JM2R6aAA[/video]

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Wow, great to see all the great great stuff happening in the bar this month. And see we are moving quickly in to round two and I already have some catching up to do ...

Originally Posted by Rickster

Hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we did! smile

Indeed. Well done Rickster, you must be very proud. Good for you.

Falmc: I really like this tune. Yes, you did do a VERY clean version of it and it really makes the lovely harmonics of this piece stand out. Great job

Cgyan: This is really pretty piece. You have very nice touch. Great playing.

Mike: Glad to see you take the stage with "Victory in Jesus". Not a tune I was familiar with, but nice playing. Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you. Do they still really have dial-up?

Newman: I was all ready to hear your piece and then couldn't find the link. So, glad you reposted. You and Bill are really making me think more about this singing business. My only suggest is that your mix (perhaps just this recording) is a bit too strong on the accompaniment. You have a very nice voice. So, just suggesting more emphasis. It is otherwise a very great sound.

Seaside: Wow, impressive stuff. This is a really quality performance. I love the shift in dynamics rubato to rhythm to rubato. Likewise, I do a lot of this, as I like it too. Great job and thanks for sharing this.

Glen: Angel Eyes was sweet. This really swings and makes you sit up and take notice. It is a really great sound, Glen. One of your betters and a definite keep sake ... great job

Amaruk - Will get back to you a bit later. I've seen your post but not listened yet. But will soon.

So, still have more catching up to do. Plus, working on a round two surprise for ya's. Someone kindly asked if Autumn in NY was from a movie track. No idea. Very likely could have been, but I know nothing on the history of it ... sorry. My next though ... several movies.

Really enjoying the quality stuff coming out of the bar this month.

Pianoweb - I used an old Yamaha P200 played through a Peavy tube guitar amp to get that sound on October's Lament. If I remember correctly, the P200 was a middle of the road EP of the first generation that actually had weighted keys. None of the sound emulations are very good except for the vibes which sound realistic to me. The speakers on the piano itself are pretty bad so you have to play it through something else if you want to record. A tube amp seemed to make just the right complement to the vibes sound.

I think the tube amp was definately the right choice. The sound is just right.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the kind replies on my work in progress folks

Got me so pumped I thought I'd post something with a little less rubato and something more steady (rhythm being my nemesis for so long)

On The Street Where You Live:

Lee smile

Autumn Leaves is one of the most well-known jazz standards, and certainly one of my favorites. The song is most often played as an up-tempo swing number. There are so many great versions that I could not even begin to name them all, or even to pick favorites.

But Autumn Leaves is not an up-tempo swing number for me. This wonderfully written song only reminds me only of the loss of my parents as a teenager. It reminds me of each of us sitting in that chair in the living room watching the autumn leaves coming down and feeling that deep sense of loss. The kids feeling the loss of the parents and the grandparents feeling the loss of their kids.

There are other songs that remind me of this time too, but Autumn Leaves gets to me like no other. So for this song I'm doing something a little bit different. I've got a snapshot montage of the very few pictures that I have of them provided by my sister. I am accompanying with an understated version of Autumn Leaves with string orchestra.

[video:youtube]3fCYEQtBd7o[/video]

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Cgyan, Amaruk, and Greener~ Very much appreciate the encouragement and that you liked the combo versions.

Amaruk~ Amélie is such a fine movie. I've probably seen it a dozen times over the years. Thanks again for your re-edited video and piano playing. Great camera work and even better playing.

SeasideLee~ I'd not heard that tune before, so thank you for introducing it - it must be a later piece, after the 40s. Great playing. I like your use of the chords and sensitive use of dynamics.

Ken~ Thanks for your version of Autumn Leaves. As well, thank you for sharing such wonderful images of times spent with your parents.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Greener – a nice little swing
Inlanding – wow a one man band
Kenjazz – impressive. And thanks - the original SDASG is a simple arrangement of piano, bass drums, strings
Amaruk – those Amelie pieces sound very good, quite moody

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Autumn Leaves is one of the most well-known jazz standards, and certainly one of my favorites.

If you only want the song, here it is...

https://www.box.com/s/8tekdhxc4h09t0vedec4

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seaside_lee - I just love your I Can't Give You Anything but Love. A great old tune,great arrangement and terrific performance. This is real Piano Bar music.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission