2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
As it turned out, the XA were a prototype for the CX series. Moving forward, there will be no more C-series, nor XA; just the CX from now on.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. My impression is that Yamaha considers all of these instruments, C, CXA, and CX as Cs. There have been others as well, such as CM.

Why do I say this?

The serial number. The C3 is large letters that are raised, a moulded part of the frame. Following that there is a space, then X, then another space, and then the digits. (When I checked the s/n for the C3XA, it was the same format.

So, my instruments is a C3, version X. (I believe the previous "standard" C3 was actually a C3M.

Here is a photo of the s/n of my C3X. Notice that the C3 is part of the frame, in fact raised up. You would think the raised large letters should read C3X . . . . .

[Linked Image]

From this I conclude that this is a C3, version X. However, the X version is certainly a major development over previous C series!

It makes sense if they are still using the old C3 plate but the soundboard and other areas of construction are different. I think the X at the start of the serial number will become the sought-after feature.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ando

It makes sense if they are still using the old C3 plate but the soundboard and other areas of construction are different.

That's a real possibility, now that I think about it. I've been saying frame, but plate is probably the correct technical term.

Originally Posted by ando

I think the X at the start of the serial number will become the sought-after feature.

Agreed! I predict that the CX series will be a great success.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

I just found a photo of a C1L and it has the L in front of the serial number. I have not noticed that before. Does all the current C series says M in front of the serial number?

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm loving my new Yamaha C3X! It has a rich, warm sound, that is very clear. Plenty of resonance, more than the C3 I think. Huge bass. Every time I start playing when my wife is around, she comments about how good the tone is - and she rarely makes that type of observation.

The action is really flawless and even throughout and not tiring to play. I do get the occasional ghost note, but don't know if that's me playing too softly or the action needing adjustment. I'll ask the piano tech when he comes in one or two months to work on the piano. It takes very little effort to get volume out of it. In fact, the default is to need to hold back. The treble is gorgeous when played soft to medium, but gets a wee bit strident when played loudly. There are not really any notes resonating annoyingly except a few when you get really loud, which I typically don't do a lot of. The piano tech will be able to deal with these.

I've kept the N3 bench, swapping the standard bench that comes with the C3X. The N3 bench is actually quite a good adjustable bench - solid, silent and the bonus of some storage space. It also looks good, well matched to the modern style of the piano legs.

A friend was over this afternoon and played and took some photos. We also did a quick Zoom recording just before he left. (He has yet to send me the files). His comment was that before this Yamaha didn't make fine pianos, but now they do. That's a strong compliment coming from him, since he has not typically been a Yamaha fan.

I've experimented with the lid positions. Short stick seems to work best, although frankly full stick and even closed work as well. My friend took some photos with full stick, short stick, and also with the music rack removed. I'll upload the photos, when I receive them. He uses a high-end camera, but then needs to fiddle with the photos before releasing them. Me? I just aim my iPhone. Different strokes.

I'll also post a link to the audio file when I get it, if it's not hideous. He stood in the middle of the room and recorded from there. I doubt it will have captured anything significant.

So, no buyer remorse. It's a loud piano (at least in my room) but easily controlled. I can play softly in any register. A joy to play. My friend really liked it, and was appropriately jealous. (This was my first opportunity to hear it played by someone else in my home).

The C3X is wonderful instrument. I'm looking forward to it being even better when the piano tech voices it for the room, and my playing style.

Lawrence

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Again congratulations Lawrence. I'm really happy for you man... thumb

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here are the photos of my Yamaha C3X.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Let me be the first to say that it looks stunning! If I ever come up to Canada I want a turn on that. Please? laugh

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
very nice. hope the fireplace isn't a problem. i can see why the piano would sound loud in that room; similar acoustics as the gent's room who purchased the C6; not much there to absorb the sound.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Terrific photos. I know nothing about photography but they seem to be some of the nicest home piano photos I remember seeing at PW. Of course, it doesn't hurt that your home is quite spectacular and beautiful.

What are the dimensions of the room housing the piano and the organ? It looks almost as big as my "two bedroom" apartment in Manhattan.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/04/12 11:32 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Entheo
very nice. hope the fireplace isn't a problem. i can see why the piano would sound loud in that room; similar acoustics as the gent's room who purchased the C6; not much there to absorb the sound.

The gas to the fireplace has been turned off. Also, the floor register by the piano has been blocked off. I close the window shutters in the morning, when the sun is on that side of the house.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Terrific photos. I know nothing about photography but they seem to be some of the nicest home piano photos I remember seeing at PW. Of course, it doesn't hurt that your home is quite spectacular and beautiful.

What are the dimensions of the room housing the piano and the organ? It looks almost as big as my "two bedroom" apartment in Manhattan.

Thanks! I'll pass your comments on to the photographer. Some additional photos (showing the previous piano - Yamaha N3) are here (note that the link has been corrected, so you can access the photos, without being logged into Facebook):

Organ Install

The room is 18-1/2' x 16-3/4' and the ceiling is 17' high. However, because the room opens to the kitchen, dining room, living room, and the stairs to the second floor (on the wall not shown), the room is really larger, in terms of acoustics.

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 10/04/12 05:47 PM.
M
M
Beautiful piano. I love your wood floors too. They contrast nicely with the piano.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, MM, on your beautiful new piano. Your home is very attractive. I really like the arches between rooms.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

W
W
Congratulations! These new X series are spectacular pianos, but of course I am biased.

Greg Poltrock
Piano / Keyboard Professional
Keyboard World
Grand Rapids MI
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
Congratulations, MM, on your beautiful new piano. Your home is very attractive. I really like the arches between rooms.

Thank you. Yes, the arches add a lot. We've seen models without the arches, and it makes quite a difference. We were fortunate that the original owners did a lot of upgrades. (The house is 6 years old).

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by wammerjammer
Congratulations! These new X series are spectacular pianos, but of course I am biased.

The CX series are indeed spectacular which people will come to realize as they get more widely known. I have to smile when I realize that they haven't even been officially released yet, although will be soon. Sometimes risky to be an early adopter, but not in this case. I believe the official announcement/release date is coming up soon.

Wow, what a magnificent piano! And, a beautiful, spacious home!

Mega congratulations!!! thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
Nice and elegant! Hopefully none of the smoke and oil particles will drift over from the cooking...

Knabe 6'1" acoustic grand with Pianodisc
Kohler & Campbell 48" upright Millenium series KM-121
Ancient Roland HP3700 digital upright.
Yamaha Electone FX-20 Organ (circa 1983)
C
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Thanks! I'll pass your comments on to the photographer. Some additional photos (showing the previous piano - Yamaha N3) are here:

Organ Install

The room is 18-1/2' x 16-3/4' and the ceiling is 17' high. However, because the room opens to the kitchen, dining room, living room, and the stairs to the second floor (on the wall not shown), the room is really larger, in terms of acoustics.

Bummer, you need a facebook account to view your old N3 pic frown

Knabe 6'1" acoustic grand with Pianodisc
Kohler & Campbell 48" upright Millenium series KM-121
Ancient Roland HP3700 digital upright.
Yamaha Electone FX-20 Organ (circa 1983)
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by clockman
Nice and elegant! Hopefully none of the smoke and oil particles will drift over from the cooking...

Well, being modern . I run the kitchen exhaust fan on turbo, not that there's not all that much actual cooking going on

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission